AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Best 43 inch for gaming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3077152-best-43-inch-gaming.html)

mario64 07-06-2019 03:18 PM

Best 43 inch for gaming
 
Hi all,

I’m trying to decide between the Vizio V436-G1 and the LG UM7300 for a new gaming TV. Use case is PS4 Pro, Xbox One X as well as retro consoles such as Super NT and Mega SG. Rtings has a review of the LG but not this specific Vizio. It has FALD but presumably a poor implementation like last year. The LG has IPS and therefore better viewing angles. Both have gaming mode for low latency. For me, I want the best quality picture I can get with little or no blur so response time is important. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Mario

Dr.Shankenstein 07-06-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario64 (Post 58266050)
Hi all,



I’m trying to decide between the Vizio V436-G1 and the LG UM7300 for a new gaming TV. Use case is PS4 Pro, Xbox One X as well as retro consoles such as Super NT and Mega SG. Rtings has a review of the LG but not this specific Vizio. It has FALD but presumably a poor implementation like last year. The LG has IPS and therefore better viewing angles. Both have gaming mode for low latency. For me, I want the best quality picture I can get with little or no blur so response time is important. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated



Thanks,

Mario

If you ar limted to those displays than the Vizio would be the better of the two.
You might consider the TCL 5 series which also comes in 43".

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

mario64 07-06-2019 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein (Post 58266172)
If you ar limted to those displays than the Vizio would be the better of the two.
You might consider the TCL 5 series which also comes in 43".

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the response. I assume you mean the 43S515? That would be superior to both of these for gaming?

Dr.Shankenstein 07-06-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario64 (Post 58266204)
Thank you for the response. I assume you mean the 43S515? That would be superior to both of these for gaming?

I have the 49S515 in my house and it is quite a good performer, but I did look up the V series you are talking about and it will be a great performer.
Be aware that there are two variants of the Vizio V series this year.
The one you named is the superior of the two since it offers local dimming and 400 nit peak brightness.

The TCL is around 300nit across the board which will likely be in line with the Vizio's real screen peak brightness.

They both offer game modes with low input lag.



Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

mario64 07-06-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein (Post 58266262)
I have the 49S515 in my house and it is quite a good performer, but I did look up the V series you are talking about and it will be a great performer.
Be aware that there are two variants of the Vizio V series this year.
The one you named is the superior of the two since it offers local dimming and 400 nit peak brightness.

The TCL is around 300nit across the board which will likely be in line with the Vizio's real screen peak brightness.

They both offer game modes with low input lag.



Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yeah it’s a shame rtings chose to review the inferior model so I have no hard numbers to go by. It sounds as though the LG should be dropped from my list?

Dr.Shankenstein 07-06-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario64 (Post 58266304)
Thank you. Yeah it’s a shame rtings chose to review the inferior model so I have no hard numbers to go by. It sounds as though the LG should be dropped from my list?

From a picture quality standpoint I would. If you ever plan on playing in a dark room the will have pretty bad picture quality due to the very low contrast ratio.



Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

mario64 07-06-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein (Post 58266332)
From a picture quality standpoint I would. If you ever plan on playing in a dark room the will have pretty bad picture quality due to the very low contrast ratio.



Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Thanks again. One follow-up, I’ve read that Vizio doesn’t have the best upscaling. My various retro consoles output 480p, 720p and 1080p depending on the system. Given that, does this change your recommendation? How bad is Vizio’s upscaling?

sjchmura 07-06-2019 11:17 PM

Philips 43” hands down. Hdr1000, true monitor , 0.05 measured black, almost 8000:1 native contrast plus 32 zones local dimming.

Supports gsync and freesync

It maxes out at 60hz.

Hdmi, usb-c, DisplayPort

Had cool rgb too

Got mine at Best Buy for $799. Freaking most underrated monitor ever (pcmonitors.info has a great review so does RTINGS. I think their scoring does not due it justice but good review )

jake51 07-06-2019 11:49 PM

sjchmura, what is the Philips model?

Ice Cold 07-07-2019 02:05 AM

Wait a while and get the LG SM9000 For $799 on Black Friday. IPS 4K UHD, Local Dimming and HDMI 2.1 VRR which will be compatible with Next gen consoles in 2020

sjchmura 07-07-2019 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake51 (Post 58267186)
sjchmura, what is the philips model?




436m6vbpab

Dr.Shankenstein 07-07-2019 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario64 (Post 58266050)
Hi all,



I’m trying to decide between the Vizio V436-G1 and the LG UM7300 for a new gaming TV. Use case is PS4 Pro, Xbox One X as well as retro consoles such as Super NT and Mega SG. Rtings has a review of the LG but not this specific Vizio. It has FALD but presumably a poor implementation like last year. The LG has IPS and therefore better viewing angles. Both have gaming mode for low latency. For me, I want the best quality picture I can get with little or no blur so response time is important. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated



Thanks,

Mario

I should have asked what your budget was to begin with.
The philips mentioned is a good choice, but you are limited to 1 HDMI input and no legacy ports so retro consoles are out.

And it is setting at over $900 currently. The Sm9000 isn't available in a 43', so if you're size restricted you're out there it is 55" and above.
Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

mario64 07-07-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein (Post 58267478)
I should have asked what your budget was to begin with.
The philips mentioned is a good choice, but you are limited to 1 HDMI input and no legacy ports so retro consoles are out.

And it is setting at over $900 currently. The Sm9000 isn't available in a 43', so if you're size restricted you're out there it is 55" and above.
Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Interesting. Never saw that Philips before. 43” is my size limit and preferably no more than $500 in price. May could stretch to $600

Dr.Shankenstein 07-07-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mario64 (Post 58267552)
Interesting. Never saw that Philips before. 43” is my size limit and preferably no more than $500 in price. May could stretch to $600

The Vizio M43 should be coming soon as well and will add quantom dot.
The Philips was high on my list originally, but the lack of inputs was a deal breaker for me at that price.

Here is one you might consider and Samsung has excellent upscaling.

Samsung UN43RU7100FXZA FLAT 43'' 4K UHD 7 Series Smart TV (2019) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NC8X2Z6..._RzFiDbEDDXS1W

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

gutcheck2001 07-08-2019 09:51 AM


Dr.Shankenstein 07-08-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutcheck2001 (Post 58271438)

That'll be an amazing display, but will blow gis $600 budget out of the water, lol.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

mario64 07-27-2019 06:59 AM

So I’m still trying to make a final decision. Current sales have brought the Samsung Q60R 43” into my price range. How would this fare against the Vizio V436-G1?

mario64 08-14-2019 08:43 PM

Still looking for advice on the Samsung Q60R 43” vs the Vizio V436-G1. The Vizio does have local dimming but is not as bright as the Q60R. It also doesn’t have as wide a color gamut. I’d really appreciate some expert opinions between these two sets. Again, my use case is both 4K and retro gaming (480p, 720p, 1080p). Thank you

sjchmura 08-17-2019 03:38 PM

The Philips 43" is $799 on sale at microcenter. It's stunning with gsync, freesunc, hdr1000, native contrast of 7599:1 , local dining and 98% dci3 color

It's not oled c9, but damn it's close.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.