Dedicated Home Theater vs. Media-Friendly Living Room - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Dedicated Home Theater vs. Media-Friendly Living Room: Which do you prefer
Dedicated Home Theater 134 51.94%
Huge TV in Living Room 111 43.02%
Projector in Living Room 13 5.04%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #61 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Your comment reminds me that there continues to be a misunderstanding of what that peak brightness is best used for. When it comes to HDR and specular highlights, it's only the things that "twinkle" that get super bright; the specular highlights. Aside from not having to tonemap what should be represented with actual luminance, the overall scene would not be any brighter than the calibration calls for. Which is to say that HDR would look better if home theater sized screen could do 1000-nit highlights. Not "brighter"

Also my eyes don't hurt when (for example) I see real fireworks at night, or when I look at a full moon at night, which happens to be around 4000 nits.

Yes, large projected images look great. And HDR's higher bit depth and expanded gamut directly translate into increased picture quality with projected imagery. And, 100+-nit highlights are indeed brighter that the 48-nit DCI standard, and commercial Dolby Cinema runs with it.

But... even on a huge screen in a totally dark room, 1000-nit peak luminance would look better, as long as delivering it did not compromise black levels and the display was calibrated. (micro-LED).
Twinkle, spark, flash or not, if you put 600nits at 130" from 10', you're squinting at explosions and flashes. Anything over 70IRE is a lot to handle with the current crop of projectors.

My 65" QLED is rated at 1000 nits, but it doesn't make me squint because it's half the size and in a brighter room.
BjornK, PioManiac and barrelbelly like this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8540
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Twinkle, spark, flash or not, if you put 600nits at 130" from 10', you're squinting at explosions and flashes. Anything over 70IRE is a lot to handle with the current crop of projectors.

My 65" QLED is rated at 1000 nits, but it doesn't make me squint because it's half the size and in a brighter room.
This is what I was referring to in my first post,

With all the lights out in my basement room, even the little 65" TV is much too bright for my eyes (even at 50% OLED light setting)
Eye fatigue sets in rather quickly and becomes an issue unless I have a few lamps turned on. I cant imagine a 120" image that intense

a Brighter image does not always result in seeing more detail or color. I think it's more important that the display performance matches the room.

thrillcat and Tinysota like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 07-10-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #63 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9175 Post(s)
Liked: 16186
Quote:

I'm not debating anything just stating the facts: Actually reproducing the highlights is better than tonemapping. It is more faithful to the source, obviously, and it looks more realistic.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-10-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriilin View Post
If I had the house and $$$, I'd do both. I see "big screen" entertainment as two modes: Social/interactive as in sports events, or maybe a gaming gtg. The other is immersive, like a good movie. A classic HT seating layout doesn't seem suitable for socializing (although the noisy teenagers at the multiplex would disagree)
I agree, and that is exactly what my son did in his house. There is no comparison to watching a movie in the dedicated theater, but that is what you do-watch a movie. When you want to entertain and socialize, you move to the room with the big TV and decent sound. If you have a theater, you will still need another room for general gatherings.
post #65 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not debating anything just starting the facts.
You implied I didn't understand the numbers, which is incorrect. I'm simply referring to the real world experience that accompanies the numbers. For someone like me, who is in this more for the movies than the numbers and specs and fancy features, the experience is the most important number in the equation.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

post #66 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
You implied I didn't understand the numbers, which is incorrect. I'm simply referring to the real world experience that accompanies the numbers. For someone like me, who is in this more for the movies than the numbers and specs and fancy features, the experience is the most important number in the equation.
I did not mean to imply that you misunderstood anything, I was speaking more broadly to what I perceive as being a common misunderstanding of HDR and how the extra brightness is used (other people's comments about needing sunglasses etc.).

Certainly, as someone who watches both state-of-the-art HDR TVs, and projection, I'm aware that in a darkened rokm a larger image can make up for the loss in specular highlight brightness and generally have a greater overall impact.

This is quite consistent with what M.Night Shyamalan told me over dinner, which is that for Hollywood directors, nothing matters more than screen size. Specifically, big screens. Because they're filming for that. Not for the TV it might eventually be shown on.

So there's a valid point there about priorities.
thrillcat likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-10-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #67 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Your comment reminds me that there continues to be a misunderstanding of what that peak brightness is best used for. When it comes to HDR and specular highlights, it's only the things that "twinkle" that get super bright; the specular highlights. Aside from not having to tonemap what should be represented with actual luminance, the overall scene would not be any brighter than the calibration calls for. Which is to say that HDR would look better if home theater sized screen could do 1000-nit highlights. Not "brighter"

Also my eyes don't hurt when (for example) I see real fireworks at night, or when I look at a full moon at night, which happens to be around 4000 nits.

Yes, large projected images look great. And HDR's higher bit depth and expanded gamut directly translate into increased picture quality with projected imagery. And, 100+-nit highlights are indeed brighter that the 48-nit DCI standard, and commercial Dolby Cinema runs with it.

But... even on a huge screen in a totally dark room, 1000-nit peak luminance would look better, as long as delivering it did not compromise black levels and the display was calibrated. (micro-LED).
Bingo. Spot on assessment.

There is still a lot of misunderstanding and misinformation being spread around about HDR unfortunately.
audiofan1 likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #68 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 637
I rush out to the movies to see everything as soon as it comes out, but that's because I don't want spoilers. Not really to see the film on the big screen. In fact, when I see a movie in the theater, I spend part of the time thinking how much I'm looking forward to seeing the film again at home on my OLED, to appreciate it with superior PQ.

I get that the PJs in theaters, even my IMAX and RPX cinemas, aren't contrast warriors, and that a JVC at home in a blacked out environ can produce an impressively contrasty pic, but other than in the size department, I prefer a high end flat panel. Having once owned a PJ and a 120" screen, the size was definitely a joy, but as prices have come down, and PQ on flat panels have improved, I prefer a 75-88" TVs PQ over the PJs scope.

It also allows me to decorate any way I want, as opposed to optimizing for light absorption and control. To each their own, though.
Rysa4, BRAC and audiofan1 like this.

post #69 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I prefer multimedia room with heavily focused media. Meaning a comfortable lounge living room with a full surround setup. Currently have a 5.2.4. Just waiting for a 75" as I sit about 8-10 feet away and that seems like the perfect size to me. Having the ability to control all the lighting also is a plus. While I like dedicated theatre rooms I feel like id not use it everyday in and out like I do my living room. I wanted something inviting and not separate from my living area.
If I ever did a dedicated theatre room id make half the room a longe bed type area instead of stacks of chairs that never appealed to me. Id imagine you can get better audio with flat laying seating also.
shivaji and Will P like this.
post #70 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 355
I built a dedicated room, half of which is a dedicated theater. However on the back half you cant see in my avatar its painted a light tan color and I have some built in shelves and a countertop/bar plus room for a desk to that I either put a tv on for gaming or just recently thinking a racing simulator. As far as watching things go, a DIY AT projector screen makes life great to maximize the most out of the space. My room is small, 120" wide or so, low ceilings...but its all about maximizing the space.

If I were doing a media room I would go TV with the possibility of a pull down projector screen for a movie nights. The TV will be good for watching things with the lights on where a projector fails. Also if you cant paint it black, the projector cant do its best, any reflections add ambient light, any windows the same. This is a good thing because you can buy a cheaper projector knowing you wont have the best blacks no matter what you do.

It depends what you are doing in the room. If you watch movies more than anything, dedicated black theater cant be beat. When my lights go out and the black screen comes up I cant see my hand in front of my face lol. I can do some gaming but im not big into that, diming my lights to the lowest helps but having 2 switches to turn the lights near the screen off would be better, sometimes ill unscrew them. Getting lost in a good movie down there is the best escape from reality.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #71 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
Id imagine you can get better audio with flat laying seating also.
In theory, the better audio would be in the air with no seat backs. However, with that much location flexibility, the chances your ears would be in the best spot to enjoy said audio are slim and none.

post #72 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I vote dedicated home theater although I watch in the family room with few exceptions. Those exceptions are when watching Blu-Ray 2.35 material on a calibrated JVC projector that fills my 49" x 115" screen and currently my only option for 4K viewing. Sound is the other benefit, in my theater I don’t have the cosmetic limitations and have 7 speakers, option to add more, and three large and powerful subs that shake your bones.

My family room still has a Pioneer PRO-141FD 60'' plasma that is at least 11 years old but still looks great. The speakers are OK but décor friendly compromised. Still, for most instances we will watch in the family room and only use the theater two or 3 times a month but those times make it special and for me, better than going to the local cinema.

The theater is for dedicated viewing and little talking, with the exception of sporting event parties, the family room is much more conducive to socializing.

Since this is the LCD forum, I have ordered a Samsung 55" Q80R for a basement office, editing room but that isn't the poll question.

Last edited by GeorgeHolland; 07-10-2019 at 12:20 PM.
post #73 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I've got both in a large family room. Cinemascope ambient light rejecting zero-edge screen suspended by stainless cables, blackout blinds and drapes for day-time movies. the screen material is dark when not in use, so it kinda just blends into the wall. OLED sits along the long wall, screen on the short wall, with a big sectional for the family to plop down on. it's a tri-level home, so i was able to build open-baffle subs in the crawlspace under the 2nd level firing into the family room on the lower level. A dedicated room would be nice, but honestly I love how this turned out. took a little time, imagination and some quality work from a good crew. OLED puts out a beautiful picture, but the cinemascope screen is just a different experience.
post #74 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
I can't imagine having an entire room in my house dedicated to watching Marvel Comic book movies. Lame.

Also think any screen over 65" looks gaudy as can be. So a sensible, comfortable living room space with a decent screen and sound is all I would ever want.
Agreed, being dedicated to Marvel movies means no Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman ... That's crazy.

=Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 07-10-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #75 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I can't imagine having an entire room in my house dedicated to watching Marvel Comic book movies. Lame.

Also think any screen over 65" looks gaudy as can be. So a sensible, comfortable living room space with a decent screen and sound is all I would ever want.
Lame to you... Central to the hobby for many people here.

Over 65" looks gaudy? OK. Not that I understand that sentiment at all, but OK.

Not a movie buff I guess!

FWIW, the vast majority of directors intentionally frame their films to be viewed on a big screen, unlike many TV productions that assume the smaller screen. A purist will want a big screen for all sorts of movies, not just action blockbusters.
BjornK, Tom Riddle and Tinysota like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-10-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #76 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
I started with a game/family room and converted it to a dedicated two row theater. The room only got a fraction of the use it got previously as a family room. I kept the projector, but brought back the pool table and arcade machines. Now, there is only one row of chairs and each chair is on carpet sliders. During movie time, they slide up next to the pool table (13 feet from screen). For game time, they slide toward the screen and spin around to provide seating for the pool shooters. The arcade machines are on the back wall. The pool table allows me to ensure the seats are returned back to their correct location i.e. where they were when I ran the room correction for critical listening. This hybrid room checks all the boxes for me. The purist would frown, and I won't win any home theater of the month awards, but for our family and friends, it is hands down more fun and practical than the dedicated theater was.
Having just completed my very modest dedicated home theater, I don't think I could ever go back to not having one. Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase

Viewsonic PJD7828HDL, 105" DIY AT Screen, TCL 65R615
Samsung UBD-K8500, Playstation 4 Pro, Nintendo Switch (Original Model)
Sony STR-DH550, Sony SS-CS5, Sony SS-CS8, Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #77 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked: 4197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinysota View Post
Having just completed my very modest dedicated home theater, I don't think I could ever go back to not having one. Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon phase
Who said I don't have a home theater anymore? I just have a pool table and arcade machines in the rear of my theater instead of a second row of seats that were rarely, if ever, occupied.

Theater Room: JBL M2 (3), JBL 708 (4), JBL 705 (4), Lexicon MC-10, 24" DSS subs (2), Dual 18" DIY subs (2), Sony VPL-HW55ES, 127" Seymour 16:9, Oppo

Living Room: Revel 228be, Onkyo TX-RZ1100, Cambridge CXN (v2), cheapo TCL TV.
post #78 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

My JVC in low lamp mode, 4K/HDR content looks bright in a batcave and almost as good as my OLED,
(thanks in part to custom gamma curves/calibrations) My $250 eBay screen is just over 10 years old
I would like to hear your reasoning for using a $250 ebay screen with such an expensive projector. I'm in the market for a new 100" screen to go with a new Epson 6050 , it does not need to reject ambient light so I can get a white screen. The one I'm interested in is around $1,100.

Tried to send you a PM but did not see the option. If you have the time, send me a PM.

Thanks!
post #79 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I love my dedicated home theatre. No outside light. Dark walls and ceiling. 120” projection for movies and sports. I love to crank the sound and be immersed with a great picture AND fantastic sound. A living room simply can’t compete with a home theater for a true cinematic experience.
Tedd, BjornK, akosoft and 1 others like this.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | Hulu | Roku Ultra | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #80 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Who said I don't have a home theater anymore? I just have a pool table and arcade machines in the rear of my theater instead of a second row of seats that were rarely, if ever, occupied.
Oh my mistake, it sounds like you have the best of both worlds with your hybrid setup

post #81 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked: 4197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinysota View Post
Oh my mistake, it sounds like you have the best of both worlds with your hybrid setup
Thank you, we enjoy it. My kids enjoy bringing their friends over to hang out. If your every in San Antonio, hit me up. We can watch a movie, shoot pool, thow some darts or play some Galaga and other old school arcade games. By the looks of your avatar, you have built a very nice theater - well done.
Tinysota likes this.

Theater Room: JBL M2 (3), JBL 708 (4), JBL 705 (4), Lexicon MC-10, 24" DSS subs (2), Dual 18" DIY subs (2), Sony VPL-HW55ES, 127" Seymour 16:9, Oppo

Living Room: Revel 228be, Onkyo TX-RZ1100, Cambridge CXN (v2), cheapo TCL TV.
post #82 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am moving from Savannah Ga. to Atlanta Ga. & looked at about 20 houses in the 600 to 800k range in Cummings/Alpharetta/Milton area. I ended up buying a cheaper home mainly because it was a bargain but needs $100k of work without the basement. The basement checked a major box for me as it has 12 foot ceilings due to being on a hill. Leveling the backyard to give me 50 feet from the house is going to be $20 to 30k. The reason I choose a house with a high basement is I have always wanted two things, one a projector in the basement, but never in a dedicated theater, the layout will allow me to do this. I want it to be open to the bar & pool table, the reason being is to have people over to watch sports, mainly college football on saturdays. I also wanted the high ceilings to accomodate a golf simulator, I will now be able to spend an playing a round with my son on a school night, or play 9 during a boring ass conference call.

I saw quite a few dedicated theaters, but I liked the idea of having the theater open to the bar & pool table after seeing about 12 homes with these arrangements.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young
post #83 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you, we enjoy it. My kids enjoy bringing their friends over to hang out. If your every in San Antonio, hit me up. We can watch a movie, shoot pool, thow some darts or play some Galaga and other old school arcade games. By the looks of your avatar, you have built a very nice theater - well done.
Thanks my family is enjoying the new theater very much (Toy Story 3 on repeat). Darts and Galaga ALL DAY
Molon_Labe likes this.

post #84 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I have pm turned off

I bought the screen in 2008 for my first projector (Espon 1080UB)
Because it was my very first setup and I had no idea what size to get, aspect ratio
what gain I needed, grey, white, fixed, pull down, acoustically transparent...etc.

I found nothing under $1000 locally so I turned to ebay, and $250 all-in, shipped to my door
sounded like a good temporary screen (instead of a queen size bed sheet) until I figured out what I really wanted/needed.

a few pic's from that initial setup here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...-basement.html

I was told by many here at AVS that the electronics/motor would likely fail,
the edges would curl, the screen would droop and eventually develop waves.
...didn't happen.

It's still as pristine as the day it arrived, the screen material is matt white with a 1.3 gain,
adjustable drop height, came with a wall controller, IR and RF remotes and has never let me down.

A friend spent over $1000 locally for the same material on a fixed screen and on close inspection, it looks no different with his JVC.
I've seen a lot of others in the past decade since and nothing impressed me enough over what I already had to coax me to open my wallet.

I highly doubt I could replace this one for under $1000 if I had to.
I just got lucky I guess, it was supposed to be temporary and disposable and turned into a keeper.

First things first.... WOW on your theater! That looks like it is straight out of a Disney Theme Park!

I was really intrigued by what you were saying regarding the screen until I read you think it would cost $1000 to get an equivalent screen today. Nonetheless, the screen I'm looking at is a name brand screen (SI) and I like its thin bezel and backlighting option.

Thanks for sharing the info!
post #85 of 141 Old 07-10-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 302 Post(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8540
Quote:
Originally Posted by drober30 View Post
First things first.... WOW on your theater! That looks like it is straight out of a Disney Theme Park!

I was really intrigued by what you were saying regarding the screen until I read you think it would cost $1000 to get an equivalent screen today. Nonetheless, the screen I'm looking at is a name brand screen (SI) and I like its thin bezel and backlighting option.

Thanks for sharing the info!
You must be referring to the Dark Knight Batcave/Pirates of the Caribbean themed rooms I posted as inspiration
... sorry to break it to you, but neither of those are mine LOL!

Link to Elite Home Theater Seats: https://elitehts.com/elite-extreme/t...-home-theater/

Link to my little 3 seat room is in my sig below

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 07-10-2019 at 09:15 PM.
post #86 of 141 Old 07-11-2019, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gassynizz View Post
I have 11 televisions on the wall in my home, including 4 excellent 4K TVs put up within the last 1.5 years. The new tv’s are 65 to 85” with both televisions in the 2 family rooms being 75 and 85 inches. These are excellent sets for viewing tv programs and sports.

Having said all that, not a single one of those televisions comes remotely close to offering the cinematic experience of my dedicated movie theater with complete light control, 125” 2.35 screen, and 4K hdr laser projection. The movie experience in the movie theater is completely different than watching the same movie on any television, even an 85”er. The two experience aren’t even close to comparable.

If you love movies and have the means, and dedicated home theater is the only way to go.
Dedicated home theatre with a good set up no tv of any size matches the experience.
post #87 of 141 Old 07-11-2019, 04:05 AM

I wish there was more 4k content. For me my only options are Best Buy or Amazon.
post #88 of 141 Old 07-11-2019, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big BBB View Post
I wish there was more 4k content. For me my only options are Best Buy or Amazon.
How long before we see MLB or the NFL add 4k or 8k as a premium streaming option charging us another $50 or $100 per year. Remember HDTV started out this way. If we wait on broadcast TV, we might be waiting to 2030.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young
post #89 of 141 Old 07-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Lame to you... Central to the hobby for many people here.

Over 65" looks gaudy? OK. Not that I understand that sentiment at all, but OK.

Not a movie buff I guess!

FWIW, the vast majority of directors intentionally frame their films to be viewed on a big screen, unlike many TV productions that assume the smaller screen. A purist will want a big screen for all sorts of movies, not just action blockbusters.
Yes, huge screens in your living room looks tacky to me unless you can hide them somehow. Look at how well that Samsung Frame TV has done. That's where the market is going, not to 85" eyesores.

Also, screen size has absolutely nothing to do with being a "film buff".

Lastly, movies over the last decade have fallen off an absolute cliff as far as my interests. I don't dig the superhero movies at all, and the type of content that interests me has primarily moved to HBO.
thrillcat likes this.
post #90 of 141 Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, huge screens in your living room looks tacky to me unless you can hide them somehow. Look at how well that Samsung Frame TV has done. That's where the market is going, not to 85" eyesores.

Also, screen size has absolutely nothing to do with being a "film buff".

Lastly, movies over the last decade have fallen off an absolute cliff as far as my interests. I don't dig the superhero movies at all, and the type of content that interests me has primarily moved to HBO.
I agree the content has fallen.Maybe that's all Hollywood has left is the big budget Films.
The day of first run first day to the home is coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page