Dedicated Home Theater vs. Media-Friendly Living Room - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Dedicated Home Theater vs. Media-Friendly Living Room: Which do you prefer
Dedicated Home Theater 134 51.94%
Huge TV in Living Room 111 43.02%
Projector in Living Room 13 5.04%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #91 of 141 Old 07-12-2019, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
Yes, huge screens in your living room looks tacky to me unless you can hide them somehow. Look at how well that Samsung Frame TV has done. That's where the market is going, not to 85" eyesores.
Eyesore is all in the eye of the beholder, but the market is going towards larger 65-75" TV's. The Samsung Frame, as cool as it is, isn't the future of most tv's either due to the high price point and that when it's turned off it still is a black screen. When it is on in the picture mode it's cool, but the apple tv screen savers are way more interesting.
barrelbelly likes this.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 141 Old 07-12-2019, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
When it is on in the picture mode it's cool, but the apple tv screen savers are way more interesting.
I'm partial to the screen savers on my Roku Premier+ but to each his own.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #93 of 141 Old 07-13-2019, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I voted huge tv in living/family room. I had both before I downsized from a gigantic house to a nice condo in retirement. I must say I enjoy watching the big TV with my wife and grandkids (when they are over) much better; as opposed sitting alone and in solitude watching a movie in my former HT setup. My wife & family avoided that man cave like it was the plague. So I really don't miss anything about it. My home office (for occasional consulting) has a great setup of 27" Monitor and 43" 4k UHDTV for TV viewing/Movies/PC & console Gaming when I need my space alone. Bottom line...I wish I had done this much earlier in my life. I feel like I missed out on a lot of my family life by barricading myself, alone in that man cave.
^^^Bingo^^^^
barrelbelly likes this.

I love this HD stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 141 Old 07-13-2019, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 445 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9176 Post(s)
Liked: 16188
Quote:
Yes, huge screens in your living room looks tacky to me unless you can hide them somehow. Look at how well that Samsung Frame TV has done. That's where the market is going, not to 85" eyesores.

Also, screen size has absolutely nothing to do with being a "film buff".

Lastly, movies over the last decade have fallen off an absolute cliff as far as my interests. I don't dig the superhero movies at all, and the type of content that interests me has primarily moved to HBO.
I'm not really feeling your whole anti big-screen thing. That's your personal taste.

BTW, I know where the market is going because I see industry numbers and run polls.

Your posts make sense in that context, that you simply do not care for movies. So it's not for you. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-13-2019 at 07:31 AM.
post #95 of 141 Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I voted huge tv in living/family room. I had both before I downsized from a gigantic house to a nice condo in retirement. I must say I enjoy watching the big TV with my wife and grandkids (when they are over) much better; as opposed sitting alone and in solitude watching a movie in my former HT setup. My wife & family avoided that man cave like it was the plague. So I really don't miss anything about it. My home office (for occasional consulting) has a great setup of 27" Monitor and 43" 4k UHDTV for TV viewing/Movies/PC & console Gaming when I need my space alone. Bottom line...I wish I had done this much earlier in my life. I feel like I missed out on a lot of my family life by barricading myself, alone in that man cave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
^^^Bingo^^^^
Yes, this is a fact of life. Focusing on the living room means I will get to watch more movies with my wife, full stop. But it's also true that TVs that make living room viewing a compelling experience compared to projection have not existed for all that long. It took too long to get to affordable 80"+ flat FALD, with several years lost to the curve craze.
barrelbelly likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-13-2019 at 07:36 AM.
post #96 of 141 Old 07-13-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Yes, this is a fact of life. Focusing on the living room means I will get to watch more movies with my wife, full stop. But it's also true that TVs that make living room viewing a compelling experience compared to projection have not existed for all that long. It took too long to get to affordable 80"+ flat FALD, with several years lost to the curve craze.
Exactly. 80”+ sized sets have changed my whole outlook and direction in this hobby. Like I said previously, I get far more use out of my 82” living room theater, as does the rest of my family. With my current setup, I feel like I’m still right there performance wise as well.

Bottom line...I’ve gained far more than I’ve lost in the transition.
shivaji and barrelbelly like this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #97 of 141 Old 07-13-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
I'm not really feeling your whole anti big-screen thing. That's your personal taste.

BTW, I know where the market is going because I see industry numbers and run polls.

Your posts make sense in that context, that you simply do not care for movies. So it's not for you. Thanks for sharing.

I 10000% agree Mark! When the wife and/or I are not watching movies/tv/grandkids playing video games on our 82" wall display...she usually has Roku set to 4k streaming of The Escapes TV Network or NatureVision...played quietly through our almost transparent AV setup in luscious7.2. The Wall motifs displayed via Escapes & other programming are simply breathtaking. I marvel how my wife has incorporated this (now) shared experience into her home design. When I walk into the LR behind her...it's like looking into a beautiful & majestic new world on that wall...Europe...Asia...S America..New Zealand/Australia...America & etc! Not so much when she is watching Judge Judy...But that is a very small burden to bare. Like I said...I sure wish I could have done this much earlier.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 07-13-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #98 of 141 Old 07-13-2019, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 180
My approach now in several homes is to have a dedicated home theater with front projector and complete light control. That room has somewhat limited seating, 5 spots, for optimum surround sound performance with big action movies. On the other hand, for sporting events and or other social av related events, we can pack more people into the room and I can open the 2 pocket doors and my screen, which most would think is a bit high, is easily seen from the dining room immediately outside the home theater. For the recent Presidential candidate debates, we had 30 people over with about 15 people watching the screen in the home theater and another 15 or so watching a portable projector and screen in the not light controlled great room. No question which room had the better picture, but nobody complained.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #99 of 141 Old 07-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 112
We get much more use out of our living room TV than the theater with 95% of that is the wife and kids as it's just more convenient for them. I put up a 49 inch curved cheap Samsung in their with not added audio and they absolutely do not complain.

However..... when I really want to watch something I go to the theater. Movies and important sporting events are theater watching. Also viewing when its nap time for the kids the theater is in the basement and farther away from bedrooms. I set my theater up with a Fire Cube and soft couches so the kids can go down there and simply tell Alexa to play their favorite music and shows. They jump around and dance and they are out of the way in their own space.

If I put a monster TV and surround in the living room I would miss out on more then just a couple sporting events. The wife and kids take precedence for the most part so I would have to constantly kick them off.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #100 of 141 Old 07-13-2019, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
None of the above. Tiny closet theater is the best.
I agree. We have what I would consider a tiny closet theater. 12’ deep, 14’ wide. Sits 4. My brother came in and said “it’s small”, what the hell? Don’t you miss the big theater? I said, nope. Take a seat.

I’ve since had a small plaque made for the wall: “She may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts kid...etc...”
Mashie Saldana likes this.

More HD please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #101 of 141 Old 07-13-2019, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Your response seems a little harsh to a valid opinion or possibly you felt you were responding to an opinion you interpreted as harsh. I can appreciate both opinions and tend to fight my obsession for the biggest and best with a balance that isn’t completely focused on watching TV and movies.

For example, my current family room TV has a Pioneer Pro 141 60” plasma, largest available at the time, and it draws attention to the room. A current 65” actually takes up less space so when I finally upgrade, I’ll likely choose a 75” and based on my personality, may not be able to resist an 80+ inch. This in spite of the fact I have a dedicated Home Theater in my basement and since I can't sell projectors for much when I upgrade, a second "B" Theater in a bonus room I use for exercising.

A 75 to 82-inch screen is going to dominate the room and I can see where it could distract from a room some may prefer have interaction, decor and socializing as the central theme, not an enormous screen that overwhelms the room. I drive home at night by a neighbor whose very large screen lights up their house and looks out of place and surreal when passing by. Another house across the narrow lake I live on also has a huge screen I can clearly notice in the winter when the leaves are off the trees.

Eyesore may not be the language I would have used but an 85” screen in a multipurpose room will draw the attention and focus of anyone in view when on and a bit even when off. Not necessarily bad but it may look like an eyesore to someone that doesn’t rely on watching TV and movies as a significant outlet or hobby in their life, a minority of those on this forum I would be safe to assume. I admit to worring about generations growing up today, constantly connected to mobile devices and relying on social media rather than face to face interations and experiencing life vs watching it.

I have no comment on where the market is heading, don’t know, don’t care. When I am ready to upgrade, I will research and find the best fit for my goals.

Third point, I don’t read that emcdade doesn’t care for movies but that the movies produced over the last decade are lacking for his/her interests. You may disagree but it will be interesting to see how many films of the last decade will be considered classics in 20, 30, 50 years?

My wife is taking a film class that requires her to watch and comment on at least this point in her quarter, older films; Mr. Smith goes to Washington, The Philadelphia Story, From Here to Eternity, Double Endemnity, Casablanca, It’s a Wonderful Life have been covered so far. I am watching them with her and enjoying the heck out of them. Emcdade may in fact love movies, just not what studios are putting out today and did mention enjoyed the movies produced by HBO.

Different opinions don’t make either of you right or wrong, just different.
thrillcat likes this.
post #102 of 141 Old 07-13-2019, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Also, screen size has absolutely nothing to do with being a "film buff".

Lastly, movies over the last decade have fallen off an absolute cliff as far as my interests. I don't dig the superhero movies at all, and the type of content that interests me has primarily moved to HBO.
We have a 75” in the living room. This is our floor plan for the house. We built the cabinets similar to what is shown in the original design (see the images) and the 75” looks beautiful. We needed basement access so I lost some space in the study which is now the theater. Hindsight I would have turned the room behind the kitchen into the theater. I could have gone 16x20 by yanking the bathroom and pantry out and use the now empty wine cellar space as the pantry.

https://www.dreamhomesource.com/plan...arage-sp122627

More HD please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Snoopy4; 07-13-2019 at 11:35 PM.
post #103 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post
Your response seems a little harsh to a valid opinion or possibly you felt you were responding to an opinion you interpreted as harsh. I can appreciate both opinions and tend to fight my obsession for the biggest and best with a balance that isn’t completely focused on watching TV and movies.

For example, my current family room TV has a Pioneer Pro 141 60” plasma, largest available at the time, and it draws attention to the room. A current 65” actually takes up less space so when I finally upgrade, I’ll likely choose a 75” and based on my personality, may not be able to resist an 80+ inch. This in spite of the fact I have a dedicated Home Theater in my basement and since I can't sell projectors for much when I upgrade, a second "B" Theater in a bonus room I use for exercising.

A 75 to 82-inch screen is going to dominate the room and I can see where it could distract from a room some may prefer have interaction, decor and socializing as the central theme, not an enormous screen that overwhelms the room. I drive home at night by a neighbor whose very large screen lights up their house and looks out of place and surreal when passing by. Another house across the narrow lake I live on also has a huge screen I can clearly notice in the winter when the leaves are off the trees.

Eyesore may not be the language I would have used but an 85” screen in a multipurpose room will draw the attention and focus of anyone in view when on and a bit even when off. Not necessarily bad but it may look like an eyesore to someone that doesn’t rely on watching TV and movies as a significant outlet or hobby in their life, a minority of those on this forum I would be safe to assume. I admit to worring about generations growing up today, constantly connected to mobile devices and relying on social media rather than face to face interations and experiencing life vs watching it.

I have no comment on where the market is heading, don’t know, don’t care. When I am ready to upgrade, I will research and find the best fit for my goals.

Third point, I don’t read that emcdade doesn’t care for movies but that the movies produced over the last decade are lacking for his/her interests. You may disagree but it will be interesting to see how many films of the last decade will be considered classics in 20, 30, 50 years?

My wife is taking a film class that requires her to watch and comment on at least this point in her quarter, older films; Mr. Smith goes to Washington, The Philadelphia Story, From Here to Eternity, Double Endemnity, Casablanca, It’s a Wonderful Life have been covered so far. I am watching them with her and enjoying the heck out of them. Emcdade may in fact love movies, just not what studios are putting out today and did mention enjoyed the movies produced by HBO.

I, too, found Mark's response a bit harsh. Perhaps there are some past issues between the two.

I share the increasingly popular viewpoint that modern television productions have far surpassed feature films with regard to quality. It used to be the other way around. And on that note, it is worth mentioning that TV series can also make for an engrossing audio/video experience in your home theater of choice.

Last edited by NewAger; 07-14-2019 at 02:52 AM.
post #104 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:

Sometimes I'm a bit harsh, I've been told. And yeah @emcdade and I were debating whether AVRs are good for music (I say yes, he says no... take it from there) just recently and maybe a bit of that rubbed off in my comment here. Hopefully we're all adults and folks here can handle it. Yes, I said I was "not feeling" that opinion, but I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong.

How many Hollywood classics will this era produce? Plenty. Movies (and music for that matter) are not in some creative lull. But if someone is not into movies, maybe they are not aware of this.

TV has gotten better, movies have not gotten worse, per se.

TV that's produced like a movie gets the same benefit from a larger screen, it's about how it's shot to begin with. If HBO is making a "cinematic" show the director of photography is likely using techniques created for "the big screen" and not for TV. Indeed, when people talk about the "movie quality" production of a TV show they are discussing either the quality of the special effects, or else how the scenes are framed and shot.

Accommodating a large screen is the price to pay for a cinematic experience is the main thing I'm trying to convey. If, where and how you do it is up to the individual. Directors are not shooting a film thinking "I hope someone watches this on a 65" OLED because of the amazing black levels" that's not how directors (Hollywood anyhow) think.

Movies are framed for a big screen. I'd argue that some folks singing the praises of TV show production have not experienced what a full 4K UHD Atmos production can deliver in terms of putting you in another place. Does not have to be a comic book movie.

FWIW I also happen to think viewing sports benefits a lot from a larger screen. Of course, if a living room does not have a good spot to put an 85" TV then maybe it's not an option. Having reviewed 55" through 85" TVs in the last year (including 65" and 75") I've thought about this quite a bit, and not just as a hypothetical. If you have a nice wall to mount it on, or space for a large TV stand, an 85" TV looks awesome, especially showing some artwork when it's not showing TV or a movie.

Anyhow, my point is that if someone does not care for (current?) movies and does not care for a big TV in their living room, of course it's a valid viewpoint. All I'm saying is I not agree with it. But in the end is just an opinion, people should enjoy media however they see fit!

Quote:
I, too, found Mark's response a bit harsh. Perhaps there are some past issues between the two.

I share the increasingly popular viewpoint that modern television productions have far surpassed feature films with regard to quality. It used to be the other way around. And on that note, it is worth mentioning that TV series can also make for an engrossing audio/video experience in your home theater of choice.
Far surpassed? I've seen zero evidence of this. Maybe if you compare a handful of the best shows to a collection of the worst movies, but otherwise I don't see this as being the case. And inasmuch as there are shows with good writing and acting and production value, it's certainly not every show, just as not every movie is good.

The difference, as I see it, is that a show will have more episodes at the same production quality. Movies are one-off events, no guarantee a sequel stands up to a good original. And because personal taste plays such a huge roll in movies, reviews are almost worthless. Also, movies that wind up being a "series" like Hunger Games or Avengers will have a long gap between premieres.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-14-2019 at 05:51 AM.
post #105 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Far surpassed? I've seen zero evidence of this. Maybe if you compare a handful of the best shows to a collection of the worst movies, but otherwise I don't see this as being the case. And inasmuch as there are shows with good writing and acting and production value, it's certainly not every show, just as not every movie is good.

The difference, as I see it, is that a show will have more episodes at the same production quality. Movies are one-off events, no guarantee a sequel stands up to a good original. And because personal taste plays such a huge roll in movies, reviews are almost worthless. Also, movies that wind up being a "series" like Hunger Games or Avengers will have a long gap between premieres.
Yup, far surpassed, in my opinion. Maybe I'm not watching the right films of today, but for years I have not found anything that amounts to something better than an okay rehash or a good original idea that loses momentum about half way through. Writers and directors I once admired greatly are churning out stuff that almost seems deliberately uninteresting.

There are indeed plenty of stinkers on the TV side; Netflix is full of them. But at least there are plenty of brilliant shows out there.
Tedd likes this.
post #106 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Yup, far surpassed, in my opinion. Maybe I'm not watching the right films of today, but for years I have not found anything that amounts to something better than an okay rehash or a good original idea that loses momentum about half way through. Writers and directors I once admired greatly are churning out stuff that almost seems deliberately uninteresting.

There are indeed plenty of stinkers on the TV side; Netflix is full of them. But at least there are plenty of brilliant shows out there.
Oh lol, yeah... Ridley Scott!!! See how far he has fallen; Alien Covenant? Blade Runner 2049?? It's a problem.

Look, I agree that a lot of movies play it too safe and that TV (especially pay TV) has attracted a lot of good writing and acting talent that once would have been Hollywood exclusive.

But at the same time, there surely have been recent movies that moved me. I often point to movie reviews as an example of how much people's opinions can diverge on the same topic.

I'm not sentimental. I'll take great entertainment where I can find it. If TV can do a story better justice than the movies, I won't complain.

I suppose my point about movies is that's where filming explicitly assumes a big screen. If someone has lost interest in movies, then the big screen will cease to be a top priority for those wishing to honor "director's intent." With TV productions, a director will rightly figure that something between a 50" and 65" living room TV is likely how folks will screen it in 4K.

Which brings the discussion to a very real point...

If you care about fidelity, then movies > TV unless you wait and buy a TV show on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, which is not always an option. Inarguably, when movies premier for home viewing, the 4K UHD BD format provides the highest fidelity viewing experience.

Not that 4K streams don't look good these days, I stream UHD all of the time. But it is a factor in the movies vs. TV comparison that the fidelity of a movie is going to be very high if it's release in 4K on disc. Great special effects won't save a movie from bad writing, but that's always been true.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-14-2019 at 08:36 AM.
post #107 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I’ve actually moved all my gear to my basement recently where my, for lack of a better term, “sports bar” is. I have two couches in an L shape in front of my 75” TV and behind that I have a pub table and my beer tap, etc. My wife and I are thrilled we moved everything downstairs. Since the move I’ve added a 2nd PB13 ultra (it was hard to find a 2nd one in Rosenut but I did) to go with my existing one as well as my two SVS cylinders, as well as reorganized my setup into 5.4.2 atmos set up. We like it down there because it kinda makes it feel special now. When your gear is all in your living room you watch it constantly and kind of become numb to it. I put my old Polk TSi300’s and CS10 in my living room with a little cheese ball sub and Marantz 7009 AvR, and my Panny Plasma and love it. It’s perfect for that room. I’d like to get a PB10 NSD to finish that off and I’ll be set in both rooms.
post #108 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 443
I loved Blade Runner 2049. One of the only films of recent memory that was immersive enough to warrant a large screen viewing, so I saw it in the theater. Our tastes really must be polar opposites, lol! Also Villenueve directed that, not Ridley Scott. Villanueve makes excellent films, but they don’t feature a costumed superhero so they don’t make much money.
post #109 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I loved Blade Runner 2049. One of the only films of recent memory that was immersive enough to warrant a large screen viewing, so I saw it in the theater. Our tastes really must be polar opposites, lol! Also Villenueve directed that, not Ridley Scott. Villanueve makes excellent films, but they don’t feature a costumed superhero so they don’t make much money.
I think I'd enjoy having a beer with you, lol. The great thing about art and entertainment is how subjective it is. No worries about double-blind tests!

Ooops, my bad! I usually have my directors straight, my mistake. Although I found myself groaning at times, Blade Runner 2049 WAS quite a bit better than Alien Covenant, which I though was ridiculous. So knowing that, poor Ridley comes out of this even worse in my eyes.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-14-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #110 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have to agree with you there...I loved Brade Runner 2049!!

And...the 4K Bluray of that movie is as good as it gets for a full audio and visual experience. Very high production value imo.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #111 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:

I agree completely. They're fantastic while they're on and watching, but they give the effect of a college apartment/dorm room/bachelor pad when they're off.

I bought a 65" QLED this winter, and spent the entire first 30-days going back and forth on whether or not to exchange it for the 55" because it's so huge in my room, and the room it's in has cathedral ceilings.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread

Last edited by thrillcat; 07-14-2019 at 09:28 AM.
post #112 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Villanueve makes excellent films, but they don’t feature a costumed superhero so they don’t make much money.
It's troubling that so many adults are obsessed with costumed super-hero movies these days.
post #113 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
I agree completely. They're fantastic while they're on and watching, but they give the effect of a college apartment/dorm room/bachelor pad when they're off.

I bought a 65" QLED this winter, and spent the entire first 30-days going back and forth on whether or not to exchange it for the 55" because it's so huge in my room, and the room it's in has cathedral ceilings.
$5000+ TVs are a thing in college dorms? Come to think of it, I was biking by some student housing at Temple University and it was so high-end, I'd believe it!

I've seen plenty of tasteful installations of big TVs. Still not buying the notion it's tacky, but I do buy the idea that some installations are tacky and there's a higher risk of it, the larger the TV. Namely, in rooms where there's no good space for it.

Also, as far as friends and neighbors go, all of mine are nothing but impressed when they see 85" 4K HDR in all its glory, impressed enough to get over whatever home decoration-related reservations they might have about putting a really awesome screen in the room they use most!

Just sayin'.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #114 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
$5000+ TVs are a thing in college dorms? Come to think of it, I was biking by some student housing at Temple University and it was so high-end, I'd believe it!

I've seen plenty of tasteful installations of big TVs. Still not buying the notion it's tacky, but I do buy the idea that some installations are tacky and there's a higher risk of it, the larger the TV.

Also, as far as friends and neighbors go, all of mine are nothing but impressed when they see 85" 4K HDR in all its glory, impressed enough to get over whatever home decoration-related reservations they might have about putting a really awesome screen in the room they use most!

Just sayin'.
Oversized electronics are a thing in dorm rooms. It happens a LOT. Get the financial aid check and head straight to Best Buy. Wilco even has a song called "Student Loan Stereo".

Your neighbors and friends are really impressed with the 4K HDR WHEN IT'S ON, but if they were just coming over to have a drink and NOT watch TV, that's just a big thing sitting there in the room.

It's just priorities. I prioritized a projection room so I didn't have to prioritize it in the living room. It gets plenty of use.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable. I've never seen Titanic OR XXXXXXXXX. Alexa is a stripper name.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
post #115 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dedicated Home Theater vs. Media-Friendly Living Room

To me it’s tacky when a living room doesn’t have a large tv. Just seems like wasted potential.

Call me crazy, but I find large tv’s and huge sound systems very sexy. Maybe I’m just old school.

Last edited by BRAC; 07-14-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #116 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
Oversized electronics are a thing in dorm rooms. It happens a LOT. Get the financial aid check and head straight to Best Buy. Wilco even has a song called "Student Loan Stereo".

Your neighbors and friends are really impressed with the 4K HDR WHEN IT'S ON, but if they were just coming over to have a drink and NOT watch TV, that's just a big thing sitting there in the room.

It's just priorities. I prioritized a projection room so I didn't have to prioritize it in the living room. It gets plenty of use.
OK yes you are right, I recall now growing up next to Brown University and actually I bought my first system from Stereo Discount Center, which was the store students looking to buy a kille system went to. So lol, I see it & it's nothing new. Moreover, when school was out for summer, on that trash day, it was well known that scavengers could collect some surprisingly good gear off the sidewalk. Thank you for triggering those memories!

---

Ah, well, there it is. If have guests I'm almost certainly NOT watching TV, I'm playing music and the TV is showing album art, or a visualization, or just some nice imagery. It's not off. Agree a big black rectangle is not an aesthetic "winner" but it's really easy to avoid, even with guests.

I liked having both, fwiw. With the dedicated room I could rock a proper 7.X.6 system (with 5 subs) and know my seat is as optimized as can be and get the huge screen feeling of front projection. But it took a special movie to convince anyone else to join me! For friends I usually had to settle for brief "wow 'em" demos. Then it's off to the living room for drinks and conversation, no doubt.

Anyhow, in my current apartment I chose a large living room over having an extra room for a theater and am working with that. And one of the things I looked for when choosing the place was a layout that would accommodate an 85" TV and also potentially an ALR drop-down screen.
thrillcat likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 07-14-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #117 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5125 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
I have a dedicated, light controlled theater and voted that way. BUT, a very well done family room/living room, properly acoustically treated, the largest TV possible (85"?), and a totally un-compromised 7.x.4 audio system would be a very, very close second.

The week I first discovered what real home theater was all about (1991) I had a chance to visit a dedicated theater (~100" screen and Sony projector) and another room (not a dedicated space) with the identical audio system but a Mitsubishi 50" large screen TV (remember this was 1991). ONCE THE MOVIE STARTED, the immersion experience was identical.

Not everyone has either the space or the expendable funds to do a fully dedicated theater but can get close enough with a well done non-dedicated space.

Of course, YMMV!!
BRAC likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 07-14-2019 at 09:56 AM.
post #118 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Which brings the discussion to a very real point...

If you care about fidelity, then movies > TV unless you wait and buy a TV show on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray, which is not always an option. Inarguably, when movies premier for home viewing, the 4K UHD BD format provides the highest fidelity viewing experience.

Not that 4K streams don't look good these days, I stream UHD all of the time. But it is a factor in the movies vs. TV comparison that the fidelity of a movie is going to be very high if it's release in 4K on disc. Great special effects won't save a movie from bad writing, but that's always been true.
There's no disagreeing on disc-based content having better fidelity. After being an early adopter of the HD disc formats and always wanting the best audio/video, I've more recently mellowed on that front. As I was buying movies that I would watch only once or twice, ever, I realized priorities were not in order. Just why in the heck was I always clamoring for lossless audio like my life depended on it? I guess crack does that to you.

HDR and 4K on Netflix can look amazing enough. Even Hulu's live feeds can be not too shabby.
post #119 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5125 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
Quote:
HDR and 4K on Netflix can look amazing enough. Even Hulu's live feeds can be not too shabby.
Visually, I would totally agree with you. But audio, not so much!!
BRAC likes this.
post #120 of 141 Old 07-14-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dedicated Home Theater vs. Media-Friendly Living Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Visually, I would totally agree with you. But audio, not so much!!
The new season 3 of Stranger Things on Netflix was an eye opener for me. Incredible audio by any standards. Looks like Netflix is stepping it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page