How to raise up 85" TV to clear center channel? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave in Green
  • 1 Post By MrElusive

post #1 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
How to raise up 85" TV to clear center channel?

Halo,

We would like to go with an 85 inch TV for the family room and I am ordering some speakers today. Depending on what center channel I go with, it may be up to 8 inches tall. The TV will sit on a cabinet/countertop, and the center channel will sit in front of that. In order for the center channel not to block the bottom of the TV, I will have to raise the TV up somehow.

We don't want to wall mount because the back wall is the faux rock wall and a 100 pound TV. The previous owners did have like a 55" mounted on the wall but we would rather just set it on the counter for simplicity. I found a tabletop TV stand that uses the VESA mount that says up to 88 lbs and up to 80" TV. Is there anything for larger?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Options I see:

1. Get a TV stand that has a dedicated "cubby" below the main TV platform for the center to go in.
2. Use the studs behind that faux rock and a quality wall mount.
3. DIY some sort of risers that the TV's OE feet can sit on.. but this will be the least stable of all options. I do not recommend if you have children or rowdy pets.
4. Compromise on sound quality and output from the center by going with a low-profile / slim center, such as the Klipsch R34C or Polk S35.
5. Use a "phantom center" and forgo the center speaker all together (this can actually work quite well if you only view the TV from the MLP.. but if you have a family and want to watch from all angles/positions, the phantom center idea isn't great).

I do not have any personal experience with the aftermarket TV stands/feet, but I would have a hard time trusting one for such a large set. You're in the 1% rocking that TV, most of those cheaply made stands aren't built with 85" TV's in mind. That said, there may be one out there that works great.

GL!

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #3 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
TV stands and mounts are more a function of weight vs. size. I have a 85" Samsung that weighs a good bit and I just used the mount that my 64" plasma was using. The 85" definitely weighs more, but not a lot more and the mount has no issues whatsoever.

I think the above suggestions are the best. Really, if you aren't wall mounting, then getting a proper TV stand, or a proper riser for your existing stand is about the best option. A riser isn't a bad way to go and really isn't the 'least stable' if it is properly built. It can be the full cabinet depth and create a fully supported space for the TV. It can be glued/screwed to the main surface and it can offer a way to lock the TV to the riser so that it can't be knocked over.

Since we don't really know your space, it's hard to give a very specific idea of what will work best for you, but I would look towards a proper stand, or wall mounting first.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3680 Post(s)
Liked: 2891
Rather than wall mounting or raising the TV with a platform on top of the cabinet/countertop, one solution would be to use some form of L brackets that would allow the center speaker to be mounted just in front of the cabinet/countertop and below the bottom of the TV. Of course this wouldn't work if there were drawers/doors immediately below the countertop where the center of the TV is located.

Another option would be an elevated platform sitting on the countertop immediately behind the TV that would allow the center speaker to fire over the top of the center of the TV.

An image of the cabinet/countertop where the TV will be sitting would help zero in one what options might work better than others.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 158
FITUEYES Universal TV Stand with Swivel Mount Height Adjustable for 50 inch to 80 inch TV FTT107003GB Big River has this. It is actally is for up to 85" TV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FitUeyes stand.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	2589428  

Sony 85X900f, - Samsung 78" JS8600 Ascend Sierra 2s, Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s
post #6 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I attached it below. There is a cabinet with a counter-top. TV will sit there. Left and Right channels will go on each end of the counter-top, center in the middle. The length of the counter-top/cabinet is 100 inches. The height of the rock wall itself is 72 inches, from top of counter to the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030897.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	2589438  
post #7 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
FITUEYES Universal TV Stand with Swivel Mount Height Adjustable for 50 inch to 80 inch TV FTT107003GB Big River has this. It is actally is for up to 85" TV
I found that one but it does say up to 88 pounds, and the 85" TV's seem to be all around 100lbs, give or take a few pounds. I e-mailed the company directly, waiting for a response.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
If you have a saw, a drill, and know how to use a screwdriver, you can easily build a box for the center channel and rest the TV on it. 8' of 2x12 should be more than enough wood. Paint it grey or brown to match the cabinet. I did this in a similar situation and it worked fine. My wife didn't complain.
post #9 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Nice room. I just went through the same thing. I don't like the center channel mounted low that I often see. I like it close to ear level. For me, that necessitating mounting the panel on the wall on a mount where it has tilt so I could angle it towards the MLP since it's mounted high(er). Finding a cabinet or TV stand for large panels (75"+) that accommodates a center channel at the right height is an exercise in futility. I gave up on that.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Can you place the center channel inside the center shelves of your built in stand, angled upwards using door stoppers? Preferably on the upper shelf if there is one. If you are planning to put the AVR there, can you put the AVR in one of the side shelves instead?

The other options are the stands with the built in vertical TV mount (I personally dislike this look), or use a soundbar instead.
post #11 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 105
^^ posted one minute before me

Maybe remove the two center glass doors. If you want the center speaker to be sort of invisible, paint inside that area flat black or use contact paper which can be removed, and place the center speaker on the top shelf, front of the speaker at the front edge of the cabinet for dispersion.

I'll add, speaker on top shelf, should be room for the AVR below it. Or gear is behind the wood doors, ad an IR Blaster.

happyness ;>)

Last edited by bekindrewind; 07-10-2019 at 12:05 PM.
post #12 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Maybe purchase a shelf that will allow you to mount the center channel above the TV, angle it down a bit and you will actually have the sound centered better than if it is under the TV.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #13 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1909 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Another option (not ideal IMO). Center channel speaker stand in front of the countertop.
https://www.svsound.com/collections/...a-center-stand

Here's what it looks like in front of a projector screen:
post #14 of 27 Old 07-10-2019, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
They do sell tv mounts for 85's that physically go to the floor. Cabinet would have to clear that slim lower section, and I'd mount it physically to the cabinet for stability.

You can have those doors lined with speaker cloth and deal with the sound problem that would bring. Another option is custom build a new door with mesh only. Mind you that's if your centre fits in the cabinet anyway. If it's ported at rear your asking for trouble in an enclosure.

Your idea with the short mount is probably the easiest solution.

I'm going through the same problem, was thinking of having a custom built black thick ass bridge to use for over the centre channel. My cabinet is wood/glass doors with a glass top. Maybe wouldn't look so bad, I said maybe.

Cheers
post #15 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this is a lot of responses. Thank you guys for all the ideas and suggestions.

I am taking everything into considering, I will let you all know what I do and will post pictures when it's all said and done. It seems like no matter what, I may have to give up on the dream and go for 75" with the Fitueyes stand, which is still a monster anyways.
post #16 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
polk makes a real slim center channel. I have one and like it.
https://www.polkaudio.com/products/s35

The photo is a stock image, not mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	747192127596_Signature_Series_S35_Lifestyle_004.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2589708  

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake
post #17 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 3680 Post(s)
Liked: 2891
Looking at the image, if it were me I'd start off by setting the TV on the countertop to see if it was the optimum height for viewing before considering raising it any higher. When a TV is mounted higher that optimum it can cause neck strain when viewing. Find the right height that works for you, not what worked for someone else.

When I experimented with a center speaker just below or just above the screen the high-mounted option sounded better to my ears so that's where I mounted my center angled slightly down to point at my ears. You might want to temporarily try both options to see which sounds better to you. Just temporarily set the center speaker on some old boxes stacked the correct height to get the center speaker just under the TV and do the same with anything you can temporarily stack behind the TV for the high mount. If you decide that high sounds better than low it's much easier to mount a center speaker on the wall than a big TV.
Cheddarhead likes this.
post #18 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 303
If the TV has a center stand Vs the now popular crows feet at the ends of the screen, you could set it right on the Center channel. The 4 woofer Klipsch like the 450C/504C has a big footprint
post #19 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12577 Post(s)
Liked: 11750
mount the speaker above the TV on the wall.

I have a TV riser I bought from Amazon that I have a 105lb 75" TV in currently, but I'm moving up to a 150lb 82" TV and probably would not use the riser. and. SOT risers tap out around 5-6" in height but the big riders have a peice of wood in the center for stability anyways. the so agains id just mount the speaker above the TV.
post #20 of 27 Old 07-12-2019, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
I pulled the trigger and ordered the speakers today, finally after a week or more of research and debating.

Due to price, practicality, etc. I went with ELAC Debut B6.2 L/R, C6.2 Center, and A4.2 Atmos (to be sitting on top of the L/R speakers).
The ELAC setup is very reasonably priced, I was able to get it with matching Atmos speakers within my budget, and they are very well rated.

The center channel is kind of high (8" tall) so either the TV will have to be dropped down to ~75" and mounted on the Fitueyes TV stand to clear the center channel, or I will mount the center channel on the faux rock wall above the TV.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions, I did consider everything. Will post pics once the TV and final items are purchased and everything is installed.
Cheddarhead likes this.
post #21 of 27 Old 07-12-2019, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I know you said that you didn't want to wall mount for simplicity's sake but wall mounting the television is actually the simplest solution. Get a quality flat or tilt mount rated for the weight of the 85" and lag bolt it through the rock into the wall studs. You can find the studs by examining the holes where the wiring comes through the rock wall. The installation will look the best and you can "float" the TV just above your center channel (measure carefully or get a mount that allows the TV to be raised/lowered after installation)
post #22 of 27 Old 07-13-2019, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What about a wall mount for the speaker and put it above the TV? Mine is sitting on a shelf above the TV but you can probably get a small wall mount bracket for the speaker. Just for another idea
post #23 of 27 Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 26
One problem is how tall is your stand (or mounting height) for your 85 inch tv to fit a speaker under it? Ideally you want the center of the tv to be at eye level so in some cases the tv is really low to begin with.
post #24 of 27 Old 07-13-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
There are also ceiling mounts that could work. You see them in sports bars all the time.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
post #25 of 27 Old 07-13-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Is it possible to configure TVs to act as the center channel ijna home theater system?
post #26 of 27 Old 07-13-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by shtao View Post
Is it possible to configure TVs to act as the center channel ijna home theater system?
Yes. The newer Sony TVs allow this.
post #27 of 27 Old 07-23-2019, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Yes. The newer Sony TVs allow this.

Thanks. I wonder why other brands don't allow this as it could be very useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page