• 1 Post By JD23
  • 1 Post By JD23

post #1 of 21 Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sony Z9F vs Vizio Quantums

Any thoughts on the Z9F compared to the new Vizio Quantums(P and X)? We have an open box available at BB here that I can pick up with a 5 year warranty. Room would be a fairly bright living room with both evening and day watching. I know the Z was Sony's flagship lcd but it sounds like some were disappointed with the tradeoff of black levels for wide viewing angles. There are also pretty good deals on new X950G and X900F at Dell right now so those are also a possibility. I'm looking at 65". Thanks.

Last edited by teachsac; 07-13-2019 at 08:39 AM. Reason: removed price talk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-13-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The Vizio P and X will be far better because they have many more dimmable zones and a higher contrast ratio.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-13-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
I'd go with the Vizio and save the money. Your gonna get 90-95% of the performance of the Sony for way less.
Zoland2020 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-13-2019, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Some pretty heavy moderation going on here.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-13-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuuke View Post
Oh well. If I were in your shoes, I’d pull the trigger on the Z9F and not think twice about it.
hot_dots likes this.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #6 of 21 Old 07-14-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2290 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
If you are a stickler and dislike panel uniformity/banding and blooming...I would go Sony all day long

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #7 of 21 Old 07-14-2019, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 292
If price isn't a large consideration, I'd take Sony quality, motion, gradients and scaling every time. Word is that the 75 Z9f is better with blooming than the 65 and the one area along with contrast that the Vizio is better. Folks will tell you that Vizio is better due to contrast which is impressive in a static measurement but that's all it's got on the Sony and even with more dimming zones, the FALD is more visible in use. There's a lot more to quality video than static contrast.
sk373 and hot_dots like this.

Last edited by js950; 07-14-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-14-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Z9F all the way!

The only thing that would give me pause in recommending the 65” Z9F is excessive blooming. I owned the 75” version, which is said to be much better than the 65”(far more zones), and ended up returning it due to excessive blooming and poor reflection handling.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #9 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
While I do not understand why they don't want us discussing price here (THE most important detail when considering purchasing something), I do not own the forum so it doesn't matter TOO much what I think. That said, I do appreciate when people actually enforce rules that they set (unlike, for example, the police and speed limits). It would be more annoying, IMO, if the moderators were constantly absent and threads got out of control (which would definitely happen here because of OLED lol).

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #10 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabel View Post
The Vizio P and X will be far better because they have many more dimmable zones and a higher contrast ratio.
All the dimming zones in the world do not matter if you have poor algorithms and software to utilize them.

I love my Z9F and I wouldn't trade it for any Vizio that's been made. And trust me, I tried *very* hard to go with Vizio. I mean, they're so much less expensive, why wouldn't I!? But the more we looked at the TV's side by side, the more we found issues with the Vizio's that we didn't like.

Consider light output, image processing, color accuracy, upscaling, motion, panel uniformity, panel lottery... can I stop now? Of course no TV is perfect (despite what the Z9D guys say ), so if you're obsessed with *native* contrast ratio and/or reflection handling, the Z9F isn't for you.

The PQX's sure were hyped this year, and low and behold, didn't live up to it. They're fine TV's, but they are still a budget brand and are lacking when it comes to some of the refinements that Sony offers. Even after all of the 2019 models have (finally) hit the shelves, a Z9F at a reasonable price (open box) is a fantastic choice.

Not hating on Vizio, or PQX... just saying that, IMO, the Z9F is absolutely superior. In my experience, the Vizio's always look better on paper than they do in the flesh, whereas Sony seems to be the opposite.

Cheers and GL!

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS

Last edited by p3trol_h3ad; 07-19-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Vizios remind me of Hyundais or Kias in that their specs look good on paper but the whole is normally less than the sum of the parts. If the Z9F is too expensive, you should consider the X950G.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Or, instead of asking me (aka some random know-it-all on the internet), you can go to rtings and see for yourself.
Rtings rates the px65 better (some might say superior) for watching movies, hdr movies, video games and hdr gaming. And the px75 is less than half the price of the 75z9f...
Hetfieldjames and MCaugusto like this.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ndor View Post
Or, instead of asking me (aka some random know-it-all on the internet), you can go to rtings and see for yourself.
Rtings rates the px65 better (some might say superior) for watching movies, hdr movies, video games and hdr gaming. And the px75 is less than half the price of the 75z9f...
True, but Rtings also rated the Q9FN very highly for HDR movies and that set has some very serious FALD algorithm inconsistency and black crush issues. If I can see the FALD at work...it’s game over!

I personally don’t think Rtings spends enough time with these sets to uncover most of their flaws. Rtings is certainly a great source for numbers on the core performance metrics though.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #14 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Their grade has little to do with real world use. Very rotr test. Foe instance, current better Sonys get downgraded for motion because the BFI won't flicker at 60hz. That their zonal 120hz BFI works better than any other tV on the market for motion, flicker or artifacts is completely dismissed. I love ratings but you have to know how to read their reviews and observe their pics. The final # is not universal and even if it were, strengths and weaknesses vary by individual.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Vizios remind me of Hyundais or Kias in that their specs look good on paper but the whole is normally less than the sum of the parts. If the Z9F is too expensive, you should consider the X950G.
Except that Kia and Hyundai vehicles are near the top in reliability, performance for the class and overall quality. Certainly as good as any other and better than most.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #16 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
True, but Rtings also rated the Q9FN very highly for HDR movies and that set has some very serious FALD algorithm inconsistency and black crush issues. If I can see the FALD at work...it’s game over!

I personally don’t think Rtings spends enough time with these sets to uncover most of their flaws. Rtings is certainly a great source for numbers on the core performance metrics though.
I don't read Samsung threads so I am not familiar with this issue - is it officially recognized by Samsung as a defect, is there like a recall or a class action lawsuit or something?
Or just a bunch of nerds whining on avs and reddit about every little imperfection that they think is the end of their world?
post #17 of 21 Old 07-19-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Their grade has little to do with real world use. Very rotr test. Foe instance, current better Sonys get downgraded for motion because the BFI won't flicker at 60hz. That their zonal 120hz BFI works better than any other tV on the market for motion, flicker or artifacts is completely dismissed. I love ratings but you have to know how to read their reviews and observe their pics. The final # is not universal and even if it were, strengths and weaknesses vary by individual.
So when they say better for movies, they don't actually mean "real world use" watching movies?
What do YOU think rtings means by "watching movies"?
post #18 of 21 Old 07-20-2019, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So when they say better for movies, they don't actually mean "real world use" watching movies?
What do YOU think rtings means by "watching movies"?
If you're watching an action movie and are sensitive to stutter and blur, does better motion handling help or not? These are generalizations and I don't fault them for trying to make recommendations for lay folk but if you're here, you should know better or I assume are here to try and improve your perception. They purposely use an equation based on their tests to come up with repeatable numbers to be unbiased but like distortion specs on amplifiers, it doesn't always tell you much. For instance, in that movie scenario, you can be outstanding in 4 categories, quite poor in one and still have a relatively high score. Guess which aspect of the picture you will likely notice most?

Reviews are guidelines. Using them as absolutes is misguided and I would wager that reviewers would say the same.
JD23, lucacow and sk373 like this.

Last edited by js950; 07-20-2019 at 05:40 AM.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-20-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Except that Kia and Hyundai vehicles are near the top in reliability, performance for the class and overall quality. Certainly as good as any other and better than most.

Nothing wrong with their reliability, but they struggle with the performance aspects that cannot be described in a spec sheet, such as suspension tuning, steering, and brake feel. It is a good car for people who don't care about those things, but these deficiencies have been noticeable every time I have rented a Hyundai or Kia (more so Hyundai). Comparing Sony and Vizio, features like number of dimming zones and peak brightness can be easily listed on a spec sheet produced by the marketing department, but more subjective factors like upscaling, gradient handling, and overall image processing cannot.
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #20 of 21 Old 07-20-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't read Samsung threads so I am not familiar with this issue - is it officially recognized by Samsung as a defect, is there like a recall or a class action lawsuit or something?

This flaw is a side effect of Samsung's overly aggressive FALD algorithm that is intended to improve black levels and contrast, it is not a bug or manufacturing defect. If Samsung is in the business of selling TVs, why would it publicly acknowledge its FALD implementation as defective? The algorithm was modified significantly and improved on the Q90R, so Samsung clearly realized that it was flawed.
BRAC likes this.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-26-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Or, instead of asking me (aka some random know-it-all on the internet), you can go to rtings and see for yourself. Rtings rates the px65 better (some might say superior) for watching movies, hdr movies, video games and hdr gaming. And the px75 is less than half the price of the 75z9f...
another random know-it-all on the internet? Rtings is the only of it's type, so people flock there. Yes, they have some valuable info to *critically* read. But anyone that takes any single source of info as gospel is, well, doing it wrong. Rtings should only be one of many data points when researching, and it takes TIME to absorb and fully understand the complexities of the TV market and its offerings before making a somewhat-fully informed decision. So, you can do that, or you can just go buy something based on what you know and move on with your life. It'll probably be just fine, either way.

But LOL at Vizio beating the Z9F overall, especially in 75" sizes.

One thing I'm reminded over and over.. regardless of the Hyundais booming in the market and Vizios, etc... at the end of the day, you usually get what you pay for, as long as you put in some effort toward choosing the best option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page