Looking at getting a QLED 65" TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Hetfieldjames
  • 2 Post By phaet2112
  • 1 Post By VA_DaveB

post #1 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Looking at getting a QLED 65" TV

Is it worth it?

What about 1080p blu ray sources do they still look better ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Are OLED better ?
post #3 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
Are OLED better ?
Well OLED in general is the best TV display technology today. I think you'd be wise to choose OLED unless you do extremely heavy gaming. Burn in can happen in those cases.
I think LG has decent processing for 1080p content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Well OLED in general is the best TV display technology today. I think you'd be wise to choose OLED unless you do extremely heavy gaming. Burn in can happen in those cases.
I think LG has decent processing for 1080p content.

Thanks.

Is a 55" OLED tv big enough or is that for me to decide ?

Why is OLED better than QLED ? Curious.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Thanks.

Is a 55" OLED tv big enough or is that for me to decide ?

Why is OLED better than QLED ? Curious.
How far away are you from the TV? QLED is Samsung marketing BS, it's just old LCD technology. OLED is a completely new technology.
By the way I normally always side on the bigger TV size. 65 inch is a perfect size.
lucacow and ng4ever like this.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
How far away are you from the TV? QLED is Samsung marketing BS, it's just old LCD technology. OLED is a completely new technology.
By the way I normally always side on the bigger TV size. 65 inch is a perfect size.

Thanks.

Do OLED tvs really beat home projectors no matter what in picture quality ?
post #7 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks.

Do OLED tvs really beat home projectors no matter what in picture quality ?
QLED can refer to the quantum dot tech when used with LEDs. Quantum dot tech is an extra film that uses quantum dots which are inorganic reactive dyes that produce better color when hit by a pure white/blue backlight- better than traditional LEDs which have to use a yellowish light source to activate the pixels. OLED is not "new" just a different form of LED- where the organic diodes can adjust brightness on a per pixel level. LEDs have to use backlight for adjustment, which is why they use full array local dimming (FALD) to increase the number of backlights and decrease the size of the zones to improve control. But it isn't at the pixel level yet- that is farther off.

OLED vs LED vs projectors all have tradeoffs- OLED is better viewing angle, but dimmer overall, especially with HDR content as the TVs specifically adjust the activity of the organic pixels to make sure they don't experience burn in. Since it is organic, one set can be different than the other in terms of its susceptibility to burn in. But they try to mitigate it with active adjustment. HDR content is supposed to get really bright.

LED can get really bright, often brighter than OLEDs, but usually doesn't reach the darkness or viewing angles that OLEDs have. "Wide viewing tech" is a film to disperse the light coming off the TV to improve the angles, and it supposedly works well for the Sony 950G and Samsung Q80 and Q90rs. Q dots are newish tech with LEDs to improve the quality of the color and viewing angles. LG LCDs are generally inferior to the good Sony and Samsung (and TCL) sets because they use IPS panels which cannot get black at all. Current Samsung Q80 and Q90Rs are accepted as being really good, like the Sony x950g. TCLs are also great bang for the buck TVs.

Projectors are different again as they really are shooting for big screen sizes. There are short throw and long throw projectors- you should also check to see if you see rainbows with some projectors (I see it when I move my eyes). Not everyone sees it. Projectors aren't suited for daytime viewing- that is more for movie room viewing. That and sheer size, as you should prepare the room to make it darker, etc. TVs can hit 75 and 85 inches, so consider what room you are filling. If you are going for that size, it is likely just overall easier to do a TV rather than screen and projector and such. If you go bigger, well then you have to go projector.

All the tech now is still a balance between brightness, clarity, darkness, and purpose. I'll get a qdot LED TV likely by TCL because

1) its for a bright-ish TV room- I need some brightness (current TV I think is 540 nits on average).
2) LED TVs fit my budget. OLEDs are too expensive for me in 65 inches.
3) My room isn't big enough to merit a projector
4) I do think about burn in- LG and Sony can mitigate it, but that reduces the overall brightness, and I don't want to be so active with my TV watching. Especially with gaming and sports/baseball and soccer watching.
5) the source of your content is just as important as the TV to display it. Discs are great, 4k streaming is also really good. Don't expect SDR to be fantastic with it- it won't be. Some providers suck at their video quality (the satellite providers /dish and direct TV for example).

View everything in person. Visit other forums and spend some time before plunking down $2k. Watch Vincent Teoh's Youtube videos (UK based calibrator who has extensive videos comparing TVs, OLED, LEDs, some projectors too.
ng4ever and GiantBubbleGuy like this.

Last edited by phaet2112; 07-13-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Also if you spend some cash on a set, it would do you well to spend a bit and have it professionally calibrated. A good bit of problems are from bad settings on the TV.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Samsung TV's have great upscaling, so 1080p content will look nearly as good as 4K stuff at times. Like standard Blu Rays look surprisingly fantastic on mine.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There is not such thing like LED TV. It's LCD with led as backlight. LCD and OLED are completely different technologies. OLED is far superior because it's self emitting light technology and LCD is not.

Wysłane z mojego POCOPHONE F1 przy użyciu Tapatalka
post #11 of 12 Old 07-13-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1914
Quote:
Is it worth it?

What about 1080p blu ray sources do they still look better ?
Recommend you take this to the "help me buy an LCD" thread. Make sure to provide some background info, the TV that is best for you depends on your specific needs. Try to answer the questions in the first post of the thread.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-14-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 684
"QLED" is a Samsung marketing acronym meant to confuse buyers as if it were their OLED models, which they are not. "QLEDs" are LCDs with and LED backlight and a quantum dot layer for more saturated colors. The lowest model, the Q60R, has no local dimming, does no have the superior anti-reflective coating, or the wider viewing angle and is fairly dim compared to the others. So it is not even a true "QLED" and isn't a good buy. The Q70R, Q80R and Q90R are all FALD, with the higher-end Q80R and Q90R having the wider viewing angle and best anti-reflective coatings. The brightness, number of FALD zones and dimming performance increase as you go to the higher models. So while the Q70R has decent FALD, it has vastly inferior performance to the Q80R and Q90R. So if you're in the market for a "QLED", look at the Q80R and Q90R.
Kadajo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page