Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #1 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Samsung vs Sony

After hours of researching, getting lost in technical jargon that frankly I don’t fully understand, and various online opinions that may just be generated by sales people making a commission, I’ve narrowed my TV buying options down but would love some help here to push me across the line. What I’m finding interesting is the difference between what Rtings.com suggests is better and what local sales reps are pushing. Rtings.com show Samsung as better panels, local sales reps are pushing the Sony.

I’m buying two TVs and the scenarios are outlined below:

Main viewing TV: Family room with lots of light. Only light control is because the sun goes down. Streaming all content (TV, sports, movies). Would love for it to sit on our entertainment center stand, but I’ll use a Sonos PlayBar in front of it so the stand height makes that a tricky situation. If I have to, I can mount it on the wall. I’ve narrowed it down to the 75” version of the Samsung Q90R or Sony 950G.

Movie Room: Smaller room with more controlled lighting. Not darkness during the day, but close. Streaming all content (Sports and movies) as well as playing Blu-ray Discs. This will be a wall mounted TV. I’ve narrowed this one down to the 82” Samsung Q80R or the 85” Sony 900F or 950G.

I’m avoiding OLED because of price and fear of burn in.

Thanks in advance for you help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1969 View Post
Main viewing TV: Family room with lots of light. Only light control is because the sun goes down. Streaming all content (TV, sports, movies). Would love for it to sit on our entertainment center stand, but I’ll use a Sonos PlayBar in front of it so the stand height makes that a tricky situation. If I have to, I can mount it on the wall. I’ve narrowed it down to the 75” version of the Samsung Q90R or Sony 950G.

Movie Room: Smaller room with more controlled lighting. Not darkness during the day, but close. Streaming all content (Sports and movies) as well as playing Blu-ray Discs. This will be a wall mounted TV. I’ve narrowed this one down to the 82” Samsung Q80R or the 85” Sony 900F or 950G.
Family room: The 75" Samsung Q90R is $700 more than the 75" Sony 950G, so while a better performer overall mostly due to having more FALD zones, it is more expensive. Both are very bright and have wide viewing angles but the Samsung has the best anti reflective coating. The Samsung's center stand will fit on any entertainment stand while the Sony needs a larger one.

Movie Room: The smaller 82" Samsung Q80R is the same price as the larger 85” 2018 Sony 900F but $700 cheaper than the larger 85" 2019 Sony 950G. The 900F does not have extended viewing angles if you need that. But due to that, it has deeper blacks than either of the other choices which is important in a dark theater room.
Panson likes this.
post #3 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. On thing the sales rep I’ve talked to focuses on is how the Sony manages sports viewing better than Samsung. Not really sure if there is any merit to that. Something about a better processor. Any validity to that once you are at this level of TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am in no means an expert and just had some people help me choose my own set here but from my experience with just choosing a set here's what I would say.

The Samsung sounds like it would be a better choice for your family room if price is no issue. That seems like a pretty bright room and the anti-reflective coating on the Samsungs are superior.

The 900F might be the better choice for the smaller room as long as the seating is pretty much centered in front the TV, otherwise I go for the Q80 if its the same price. The 950G seems like a great TV but why spend the extra 700 for 3 extra inches of screen.
post #5 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
If you watch a lot of sports and motion bothers you at all i would go with the sony!

For some reason the way Samsung handles motion really bothers me. I returned one because of it. I have a Sony 900E now and really love this TV, i'm sure the 900F is even better!
post #6 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Throwing this out there. Buy an x940e on Amazon instead, its half the price of the x950G and its the best LCD Sony has ever made other than the unavailable z9D. Save some cash and get a TV that will only be beat by the Q90R in certain circumstances, you could buy two for the price of the q90r and still have money left over.
pbz06 and Blackman like this.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #7 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Thanks for the response. On thing the sales rep I’ve talked to focuses on is how the Sony manages sports viewing better than Samsung. Not really sure if there is any merit to that. Something about a better processor. Any validity to that once you are at this level of TV?

Sony had an edge in motion control for years, but both Samsung and LG have improved in the past few model years. I watch lots of sports with no problem on my two Samsung TVs, one a 120 Hz 55" "QLED" and the other a bargain 60 Hz 65" model. I leave all of Samsung's motion controls off because I despise the Soap Opera Effect that Samsung's designers seem to love. I ended up with the Samsungs because at the time I was buying, they were significantly cheaper than competing Sony models.
Panson likes this.
post #8 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
If you watch a lot of sports and motion bothers you at all i would go with the sony!

For some reason the way Samsung handles motion really bothers me. I returned one because of it. I have a Sony 900E now and really love this TV, i'm sure the 900F is even better!
^^^ What he said.

I'm particularly bothered by motion blur, even in everyday programing and movies. Sony's are second to none in that regard. If motion blur doesn't have an effect on you, I'd still recommend the Sony; too many bad experiences with sammy's for me.

Best
post #9 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
^^^ What he said.

I'm particularly bothered by motion blur, even in everyday programing and movies. Sony's are second to none in that regard. If motion blur doesn't have an effect on you, I'd still recommend the Sony; too many bad experiences with sammy's for me.

Best

Agree with these guys. I mainly watch sport and did heaps of research and viewing before purchasing my latest LCD and the Sony wins hands down. I hated the way Samsung handles sport plus all the sets I saw had bad DSE (Dirty Screen Effect). If you watch a lot of sport then go with the Sony.
post #10 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
After hours of researching, getting lost in technical jargon that frankly I don’t fully understand, and various online opinions that may just be generated by sales people making a commission, I’ve narrowed my TV buying options down but would love some help here to push me across the line. What I’m finding interesting is the difference between what Rtings.com suggests is better and what local sales reps are pushing. Rtings.com show Samsung as better panels, local sales reps are pushing the Sony.

Wait for Next years TV in 2020, you want HDMI 2.1 if not you will regret your TV selection quite rapidly.
post #11 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Wait for Next years TV in 2020, you want HDMI 2.1 if not you will regret your TV selection quite rapidly.

Well, I would love to but I just moved and currently have no TVs...

post #12 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Well, I would love to but I just moved and currently have no TVs...

Well I’d go with Sony, due to the fact Samsung making the case against owning one of their TVs

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/17/1...e-attack-tweet

They are susceptible to viruses. And it’s a huge target for hackers Samsung has the largest user base hacker like to target and compromise their personal information.

Sony is run by Android And Google.
post #13 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Why does he care about HDMI 2.1 if he isn't going to buy an 8K TV? He can get eARC without 2.1 and that is the only HDMI 2.1 thing worth worrying about on a 4K TV.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #14 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I have a 65” Q70 in Family Room, got the curved because I needed to fit in a cabinet and 65” Sony was a few mm too big. Also have the 75” Sony 900E in media room in the basement.

I hands down prefer the Sony because of the motion is so much better. My Samsung motion is not good with sports (especially F1 racing, a Netflix doc was barely watchable) and also reality TV stutter issues. I notice motion problems for maybe 5-10% of content, never have any of these issues with my Sony, but I think Sony are known for great motion.

My units are older than the ones you are looking for, but food for thought.

This is as my first Samsung as I have only bought Sony in the past mainly because they were supposed to be one of the best for picture processing and motion.

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN
post #15 of 87 Old 07-16-2019, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...so Sony seems to be getting the nod, especially in the movie room (900F). My main concern for the family room is glare from the side and the need for wider viewing angles. Does going up in the series in the Sony line help with either or both of those issues?

post #16 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Ok...so Sony seems to be getting the nod, especially in the movie room (900F). My main concern for the family room is glare from the side and the need for wider viewing angles. Does going up in the series in the Sony line help with either or both of those issues?

Wider viewing angles,....yes. At the cost of a little contrast. Glare....are you concerned about reflections? Then yes the va panel will help.
post #17 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Honestly, I’d go Samsung and Samsung.

Having owned and returned the 85” 900F, that set had way too much blooming for me. Once you go wide viewing angle you won’t go back. The 85” 900F would wash out at the edges of the screen from ~9ft back, just terrible viewing angles.

I personally don’t see motion as being a huge disadvantage for Samsung on 2019 sets, though I’d still give Sony a very slight edge.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #18 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Do your family a favor and reduce the amount of TVs you have to just 1. I'm sure everybody in your family has iPads and laptops already. Tell your wife to make your family room however she wants it as long as its classy and comfortable. You don't need anything in your family room except a nice decor. It's not really becoming of a family home to have a huge TV in the living room. If you have a movie room, you should make it the only place to watch movies. It brings the family together more.

Get the best Sony set you can afford for the movie room. Spend the money you saved from not buying 2 TVs and make sure the seating is as cinematic as possible or invest it into the sound, soundproofing, whatever.

The next house I get will have a movie room and I will just do what I advised you to do. I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think everybody should do this when they can actually afford to have a movie room.

If you just HAVE to put a TV in the family room, just buy 2 Sony sets. I got my Samsung as a casual set for my guest room.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #19 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
Do your family a favor and reduce the amount of TVs you have to just 1. I'm sure everybody in your family has iPads and laptops already. Tell your wife to make your family room however she wants it as long as its classy and comfortable. You don't need anything in your family room except a nice decor. It's not really becoming of a family home to have a huge TV in the living room. If you have a movie room, you should make it the only place to watch movies. It brings the family together more.

Get the best Sony set you can afford for the movie room. Spend the money you saved from not buying 2 TVs and make sure the seating is as cinematic as possible or invest it into the sound, soundproofing, whatever.

The next house I get will have a movie room and I will just do what I advised you to do. I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think everybody should do this when they can actually afford to have a movie room.

If you just HAVE to put a TV in the family room, just buy 2 Sony sets. I got my Samsung as a casual set for my guest room.
Ime, family rooms without tv’s are just rooms for collecting dust. Poor use of space if you ask me. Ymmv
hot_dots likes this.

post #20 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:

75” 950G has wider view angles as it has a wide angle layer on the TV like the Samsungs, glare wise Samsung has the best anti glare coating. Honestly the 900F isnt that great when you can get an X940E for cheaper.
BRAC likes this.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #21 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
"A family room is an informal, all-purpose room in a house. The family room is designed to be a place where family and guests gather for group recreation like talking, reading, watching TV, and other family activities."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_room
BRAC likes this.
post #22 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Ime, family rooms without tv’s are just rooms for collecting dust. Poor use of space if you ask me. Ymmv
Maybe if a family does nothing but watch TV, which is sad.

I much prefer to keep TV viewing to 1 dedicated room like a screening room, or mancave.

As for the OP, I think he should consider buying the movie room TV first and experimenting with a 1 TV household for a while. I think such things improve the quality of the home and the quality of the resulting children.
post #23 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post

Yes, there is a reason most new homes don't have living rooms anymore: They were likely used no more than one or two times per year. The same would happen with a family room. I have a large family room downstairs and a gameroom upstairs, but no living room, and I really don't miss it. Just another room that would require a bunch of money to be spent on rarely used furniture.
BRAC likes this.
post #24 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I much prefer to keep TV viewing to 1 dedicated room like a screening room, or mancave.

As for the OP, I think he should consider buying the movie room TV first and experimenting with a 1 TV household for a while. I think such things improve the quality of the home and the quality of the resulting children.
Think of it as a multi-use space. A tv can be in the room and not be used, or maybe it’s on low volume and playing in the background. Nothing wrong with options.

We do everything from watching tv/movies, to listening to music, to playing games, to having conversations, you name it. Imo, THAT is what a family room should be. One central location for the family to congregate.

A bunch of different spaces for each individual activity is what ends up dividing the family ime.

post #25 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

While I appreciate the thoughts about how others should raise their children, this wasn't the space for that discussion or original question. My family situation is quite healthy.
BRAC, Nillaz, boosted330 and 1 others like this.
post #26 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Cant tell you what to choose but i can tell you what they are good at to help you choose. Color accuracy, motion and upcaling of non 4k content goes to Sony. Better anti reflective tech goes to Samsung, in the dark room sony focuses on shadow detail in dark scenes but you can see a bit of blooming in some scenes, samsung focuses on gettting rid of blooming but the price you pay is blackcrush meaning you will lose some shadow detail in dark scenes.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #27 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted330 View Post
Throwing this out there. Buy an x940e on Amazon instead, its half the price of the x950G and its the best LCD Sony has ever made other than the unavailable z9D. Save some cash and get a TV that will only be beat by the Q90R in certain circumstances, you could buy two for the price of the q90r and still have money left over.

The 940E or the Australian 9400E is the best ever tv when it comes to watching a LCD in a DARK room. Look at RTINGS.com and compare all LCD's in MIXES USAGE, not even a the Great Z9D can cut it against the 940E or the 9400E (Same tv but in a Different Country) , have a look and the the same time compare ALL LCD's to the 940E and you will see for Movie Usage 'eg" MOVIE and HDR Movies its the best. For me I dont pay games and I wont buy another Telle for our main TV room until some manufactures makes a 75 or 85 inch TV than can better the 940E or the 9400EMOVIES and HDR MOVIES on RTINGS.com. Also whilst there at RTINGS.com look at further down the comparison between the Z9D and the 940E for Native Contrast and Contrast using Local Dimming. The 940E is miles ahead of the Z9D (Z9D is Brighter and has more Zones compare to the 940E) and other other TV's even the best that 2019 can offer.
Have a look at the Comparison between the Z9D and the 940E. Only a DARK not so bright OLED can beat them in a dark room for MOVIES and HDR MOVIES. Compare this to the latest and the greatest Samsung and the Sony. Forget LG.
By the way. The 940E has no or very little BLOOMING that effect all 2019 TV's

Again I dont play games and I dont use the 9400E as a Monitor.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...ny-z9d/433/425
boosted330 likes this.

Main Room Sony KD-75X9400E Display, AMP. Yamaha RX-A3050. Front Mains, 2x Dali Concept 8. Klipsch Center, Surround and Rear Surrounds, 4X Dali Ikon 1. Ceiling 4X B&W CCM 382. Subs, 2x Kef C200 for the rear and 2X Kenwood SW-07HT for the fronts. Lounge Shakers, Dayton Audio SA 230 Sub Amp with 4 AST-2B-4 lounge Shakers. The other Tv room the Hecto live there the Hecto 100 inch Short throw projector,

Last edited by Blackman; 07-17-2019 at 04:33 PM.
post #28 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
Cant tell you what to choose but i can tell you what they are good at to help you choose. Color accuracy, motion and upcaling of non 4k content goes to Sony. Better anti reflective tech goes to Samsung, in the dark room sony focuses on shadow detail in dark scenes but you can see a bit of blooming in some scenes, samsung focuses on gettting rid of blooming but the price you pay is blackcrush meaning you will lose some shadow detail in dark scenes.

This sums it up pretty well. Samsung is going to handle the reflections heaps better but the Sony will be just a bit better for motion and upscaling. Buy one of each.
post #29 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
The 940E or the Australian 9400E is the best ever tv when it comes to watching a LCD in a DARK room. Look at RTINGS.com and compare all LCD's in MIXES USAGE, not even a the Great Z9D can cut it against the 940E or the 9400E (Same tv but in a Different Country) , have a look and the the same time compare ALL LCD's to the 940E and you will see for Movie Usage 'eg" MOVIE and HDR Movies its the best. For me I dont pay games and I wont buy another Telle for our main TV room until some manufactures makes a 75 or 85 inch TV than can better the 940E or the 9400EMOVIES and HDR MOVIES on RTINGS.com. Also whilst there at RTINGS.com look at further down the comparison between the Z9D and the 940E for Native Contrast and Contrast using Local Dimming. The 940E is miles ahead of the Z9D (Z9D is Brighter and has more Zones compare to the 940E) and other other TV's even the best that 2019 can offer.
Have a look at the Comparison between the Z9D and the 940E. Only a DARK not so bright OLED can beat them in a dark room for MOVIES and HDR MOVIES. Compare this to the latest and the greatest Samsung and the Sony. Forget LG.
By the way. The 940E has no or very little BLOOMING that effect all 2019 TV's

Again I dont play games and I dont use the 9400E as a Monitor.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...ny-z9d/433/425
I have an OLED 65” that has burn in and researched basically the same TVs as the OP and saw someone mention the low price of the remaining X940Es and I was sure I was taking a big step backwards but this tv blows me away. I am so happy with my purchase and its so close to my OLED on things I thought it would get beat badly on (blacks) and blows the OLED away on bright scenes. They exchange blows and when you compare the x940e to todays TVs (especially the x950G aka x900F) its a no brainer.
Blackman likes this.

post #30 of 87 Old 07-17-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Excellent post. Infocomm 2007 Sony had a dismal presence. Last year Sony was making a statement and stole the show.. I think they mean business again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page