Be honest what TV would you “consider” buying other than an OLED. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By slapshot
  • 1 Post By lucacow
  • 1 Post By Radvlad
  • 2 Post By MCaugusto

post #1 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Question Be honest what TV would you “consider” buying other than an OLED.

So having my 55” C9 I feel like I’ve bought some type of sports car. I love it I appreciate it every time I use it, but I have to take care of it. I’m ruined for any other TV that’s not OLED.

But I’m gonna need another Non-OLED TV eventually. What are you guys considering in terms of LCD on the market of coming soon. That would be acceptable.

I was looking at a Vizio 65” P Series Quantum at BB today which was a bargain. And the Blacks and color pop was stunning.

What LCD would pass muster and be acceptable to this OLED crowd ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 41
For me it’s either the 77C9 (first choice), or the 82”Q90.
Q90 would be my only other choice for non OLED in my primary setup.

For lesser important areas, (bedroom, outdoor area,den, etc) I’d go with the TCL 6 series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dr.Shankenstein and Mamasboy like this.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Vizio P Series Quantum X - highest peak brightness

Sony XBR950G - Best tone mapping

Samsung Q90 - good contrast

Samsung Q80 - possibly

TCL 6 series for budget
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I feel like if you already have an OLED, you should just get the best budget LED. No use paying OLED-like prices for a LED.

So the TCL Series 6 or possibly the HiSense H9F.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 3235
Sony best motion handling of LCD sets. Cheaper sets just look wrong if you're watching fast moving field sports.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #6 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The only reason I am not buying OLED is the fact it has a hidden feature being a mirror, and it seems many don't care about it. Even in a dark room with white walls I can see the reflections of the room in it when the scene is half lit half dark.

I love what Samsung had done with their Q90 in terms of anti reflection, also the wide angle view is great. It's almost a perfect LCD, but not there yet. 480 dimming zones is still too little, and there is some brightness changes which are very distracting.
All in all, it seems 2019 is not a year for me to purchase a new TV.

Look at this video at 1.42.
This is what LCD TVs need. Not sure how much it will cost, but we are soon to find out.

Ideally, it would be Samsung's antiglare and wide angle, Sony's image and motion processing, and upscaling, Hisense's dual LCD, and we're in businees.
...time to wake up.

Good luck with your search!!!
post #7 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Sony Z9D or wait for 2020 offerings. I second TCL 6 series as a hold me over set and for every other room that isn’t your main. Oh and a 940E of course, best bang for the buck right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MCaugusto likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
So having my 55” C9 I feel like I’ve bought some type of sports car. I love it I appreciate it every time I use it, but I have to take care of it. I’m ruined for any other TV that’s not OLED.

But I’m gonna need another Non-OLED TV eventually. What are you guys considering in terms of LCD on the market of coming soon. That would be acceptable.

I was looking at a Vizio 65” P Series Quantum at BB today which was a bargain. And the Blacks and color pop was stunning.

What LCD would pass muster and be acceptable to this OLED crowd ?
Sony X930E; it’s fantastic.
lucacow likes this.

In case you're wondering, my setup: Sony 65x930E, Denon x3200W, 2 Martin Logan 35XT, 1 ML Motion 8 Center Channel, and 1 ML Dynamo 700W Sub.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-22-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
The only reason I am not buying OLED is the fact it has a hidden feature being a mirror, and it seems many don't care about it. Even in a dark room with white walls I can see the reflections of the room in it when the scene is half lit half dark.

I love what Samsung had done with their Q90 in terms of anti reflection, also the wide angle view is great. It's almost a perfect LCD, but not there yet. 480 dimming zones is still too little, and there is some brightness changes which are very distracting.

Look at this video at 1.42. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STdZ_kiHYEY This is what LCD TVs need. Not sure how much it will cost, but we are soon to find out.

Ideally, it would be Samsung's antiglare and wide angle, Sony's image and motion processing, and upscaling, Hisense's dual LCD, and we're in businees.

...time to wake up.

No brightness fluctuations on the Q90. That was a serious issue on the Q9FN and one of the main reasons I returned the Q9FN, but it has been corrected on the Q90. I believe that issue was caused by the over aggressive FALD algorithm on the Q9FN.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #10 of 15 Old 07-22-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post

Look at this video at 1.42. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STdZ_kiHYEY This is what LCD TVs need. Not sure how much it will cost, but we are soon to find out.

...time to wake up.

Ya the Hisense ULED XD with the dual panels is the future for LCD with it's 250,000:1 panel native contrast + the Hisense has a 133 zone FALD on top of this!. Today's FALD TVs without this dual panel tech just have too many quirks and are still stuck with panels producing 3000:1 to 5000:1 native. The dual panel tech changes everything for LCD TVs with the high native contrast ratio. FALD will no longer be needed to produce good blacks; it's use changes to help produce peak areas of brightness/power savings (albeit it'll still help with making it even darker). Once this new LCD tech is mature and well known I believe OLED is basically doomed as TV display. Assuming the tech makes it here and doesn't have any major quirks OLED will basically be heading the way of the CRT monitor... so it has some good years left but as a TV I believe it'll be done.

With all of that...

Hisense ULED XD out next year? It'll be an industry game changer...

Last edited by SiGGy; 07-22-2019 at 08:18 AM.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-22-2019, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I love my TCL 55" I have at a secondary casual TV watching location that I paid $350ish. I can't see any reason to spend anymore on a fancy name brand other than at the prime viewing area. Plus all the built in Roku stuff TLC comes with is great and keeps it simple at that location.

I feel infinite
post #12 of 15 Old 07-22-2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
No brightness fluctuations on the Q90. That was a serious issue on the Q9FN and one of the main reasons I returned the Q9FN, but it has been corrected on the Q90. I believe that issue was caused by the over aggressive FALD algorithm on the Q9FN.
I hope this was fixed in some fw version. Could anyone else confirm it, please?
One can see it here
and here
at 21:18.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-22-2019, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman9800 View Post
Vizio P Series Quantum X - highest peak brightness

Sony XBR950G - Best tone mapping

Samsung Q90 - good contrast

Samsung Q80 - possibly

TCL 6 series for budget
The sony z9g has the highest peak brightness of consumer lcd's so far. It measures close to 4000 nits after calibration in movie mode. In vivid mode, it goes higher than 4000 nits.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-22-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Well, i am on the other side of this question and as the adage "to each his own" goes, i would never, ever, purchase an OLED screen considering the many/many pictures posted by owners on the OLED sub-section for vignetting, pink/blue/yellow tinting, dark bands, image retention, burn-in, poor performance at near-black scenes, etc.

On top of that, i do not need to constantly and carefully "baby-sit" a TV due to my habit of pausing an image onscreen for too long and having to worry about permanent burn-in, widescreen bars burn-in, etc.

One owner that contacted LG about widescreen burn-in concerns from watching movies too many hours in a row with aspect ratio different than standard 16:9 and what could be done to mitigate the problem, reports the company strongly recommended to watch all video content in full screen only (standard 16:9 ratio), never mind those "pesky" widescreen bars of the original source !

Sure, those OLED blacks are fantastic and colors are amazing, but to me at the cost of too many variables.

Sure, LCD panels also have problems with dark bands and splotches but they appears to be related more to panel-to-panel variances than inherent to the technology itself, something i am not too sure about OLED screens after seeing those horrible pictures posted on the sub-section and what owners are willing to accept as "part of the deal".

I have owned a Sony 940E for almost two years now, watch it an average of 10 hours each day without any problems to report, use the pause button extensively and the set provides me with an amazing picture without any bands, dark edge corners, dead pixels, DSE, noticeable blooming, etc.
It displays probably best-in-class near-black low level detail, it is very/very bright and i certainly have not noticed any poor motion performance, as reported by some.
I would never consider replacing it even for a 77" OLED screen.

NO thanks !
lucacow and ggw2000 like this.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-28-2019, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 68
How about the other way around? OLED= burn in. OLED is good for me for about 6 months to a year. only good one is the C9 which the OP has, so enjoy it while it lasts. If you bought a warranty they will only replace it once. I feel that the Q900R will wipe the floor with the C9 but just my opinion. YMMV! For further confirmation, see the post right above mine which explains this in more detail. I do not mean to be a killjoy but the C9 is indeed an awesome TV. For all of it's 6 months or so.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page