Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 292Likes

post #271 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 01:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwhite View Post
Breaking News:

I just received my second firmware update a few minutes after 1:00 am Eastern Time. The good news is that the Amazon Prime Video App has now been added which is welcome. Unfortunately, this update did not fix the ARC/CEC problem on Input 1.

The only other change I notice is that some of the customizing I did on the Homepage was scrambled in terms of the order of the apps and the apps that had in my favorites list went back to default. I assume the addition of the Prime Video app was the cause of this, no big deal I can reorder them again in 2 minutes. All of my picture settings remained intact.
Good to know can you change Aspect Ratio in Netflix or YouTube ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
How can you tell you got an update? I looked in my apps, and the app store, but I don't see Amazon, so I'm assuming I didn't get the update. I tried to update, but it said that my T.V. was up to date.
tomanystraydogs likes this.
post #273 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Good to know can you change Aspect Ratio in Netflix or YouTube ?
No, on mine the size menu option is greyed-out when using any of the internal apps. I think the TV defaulted to "wide" when I was going through the initial set-up screens and I haven't questioned it because everything I have watched automatically displays in the optimal aspect ratio. Actually, I don't think I have ever been able to change the aspect ratio when using the internal apps on any Smart TV I have ever had including Sony since 4k came along.

I agree that lack of easy size change is unfortunate. There is not even a size button on most newer remotes anymore. Maybe these newer TVs are getting like new cars where the computer nannies don't let you do things that the designers considered ill-advised. Maybe with all the metadata involved with the latest HDR formats, it's all they can do to display it one way. Nevertheless, this is still not a welcome development for those of us who are tweakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidturtle View Post
How can you tell you got an update? I looked in my apps, and the app store, but I don't see Amazon, so I'm assuming I didn't get the update. I tried to update, but it said that my T.V. was up to date.
I happened to have it on and was watching when the blue firmware update screen appeared so I watched the whole second update take place and it executed in the same manner as the first update that took place when I first unboxed and plugged in the unit last Saturday.

I have no idea why it arrived last night for me, I think someone in an earlier post said that they got the update that brought Amazon Prime Video about a week ago.
theboomr likes this.
post #275 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Any 55" H9F owners have a panel without any dark corners or vignetting? I have noticeably dark corners (most obvious on full white screen) that can be seen on normal content. Still within my return window if I want to try another H9F but not sure if they all have this or not. The Vizio M588-G1 that I had previously had zero vignetting and perfect corners.
post #276 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Can a firmware update down the road allow [email protected] hdr or is it not possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #277 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 03:30 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9399 Post(s)
Liked: 6090
Quote:
True, but ARC cannot transmit any better audio than optical. They are both limited to DD or DTS 5.1.
The ARC is also able to handle DD+. Which can give you atmos from the streaming services.(not Apple though).

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #278 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 03:31 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9399 Post(s)
Liked: 6090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawn View Post
Not true. HDMI ARC will handle lossless audio like Dolby TrueHD, optical cannot. Personally, I like the sound of the HDMI over the optical on my TV.
You need eARC to handle lossless audio. Like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA. Regular ARC can handle DD+, which is lossy audio. Just like DD and DTS is lossy audio.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #279 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post
Any 55" H9F owners have a panel without any dark corners or vignetting? I have noticeably dark corners (most obvious on full white screen) that can be seen on normal content. Still within my return window if I want to try another H9F but not sure if they all have this or not. The Vizio M588-G1 that I had previously had zero vignetting and perfect corners.
This is a well reported complaint, however, some owners have reported this is not evident on their panel so you could an exchange. An owner on YouTube contacted Hisense regarding this issue and it was stated that is not a manufactuer defect so if it bothers you exchange it for the M588 G-1 or get a refund and wait for the updated TCL 6 series.
post #280 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post
I have major vignetting on my corners, 65" H9F here. But on regular content and video gaming, not noticeable at all, so I'm fine with it.
post #281 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I just returned a vizio p quantum, and got the Hisense. I had them both hooked up for comparison, and liked the Hisense better. It seems more vibrant and clear. I would say they both looked great in game mode. With 4k, and HDR, they were fairly equal. I have Directv, and my final determining factor was the Hisense looks so much better with Directv. The Vizio had a lot of judder, where the Hisense is a lot smoother. Hisense also has a much better picture with my 1080i signal. I guess that says the Hisense upscaling is pretty good. I do see my corners are a little darker, but I don't notice it in normal viewing. I see no other bad screen effects. Watching some preseason football this weekend, and the picture was awesome. Nice and smooth.

So far I really like the T.V. Gaming in HDR on my Xbox one x is great. My colors are bright and vibrant, and everything runs smooth. I don't have any issues with a cloudy picture. I tried the Vizio on 120hz, at 1080P, and really didn't notice any difference between that and HDR at 60 hz, other than the HDR looks a hell of a lot better. So I don't see the Hisense not being able to do the 120hz 1080P thing, as being that big of a deal, at least to me. I was tempted to get the Sony 900F or the Samsung Q70, but really wanted to spend as little as possible, and still get a great picture. The H9F has really impressed me, so I'm a happy camper for now. (it's only been a few days)

I look forward to reading more on this forum for some tips, and picture settings. Good luck to all who try this set out. I think it's a winner.
Vizio does NOT do well with 1080i upscaling, major judder.
post #282 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
I have major vignetting on my corners, 65" H9F here. But on regular content and video gaming, not noticeable at all, so I'm fine with it.
I have it also, not that bad at all. Notice it on a totally white screen if I'm looking for it, but with normal viewing, I don't see it at all.
theboomr likes this.
post #283 of 853 Old 08-22-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
Vizio does NOT do well with 1080i upscaling, major judder.
I found that out the hard way. A 65 inch T.V. is not the easiest item to pack up and return.
theboomr likes this.
post #284 of 853 Old 08-23-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone have this problem:

I'm using an HDMI cable going from the HDMI 1 (ARC) input on the TV, to the Monitor Out (ARC) into my receiver. In the Android TV Settings, I set Speakers to use ARC, and then going to Advanced Settings, I've set to send DD+ (I've tried DD as well with the same result). Every app will send 5.1 surround sound to my receiver, except Netflix. For some reason, Netflix refuses to recognize that I have DD+ being sent to my receiver.
post #285 of 853 Old 08-23-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiocardsfan View Post
If only they had this tv at 75 inches I would be all over it. Unfortunately I have to settle on the 75 inch P series Quantum X for now. A shame since 65 inches is too small for my large living room.
75" size is a tough size with very little selection in the "premium" features outside of Sony, Samsung and now Vizio PX. You made a good choice in terms of price/performance ratio. The TCL 8 Series (whenever it arrives) may be a good alternative to the 75" PX.
post #286 of 853 Old 08-23-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I found that out the hard way. A 65 inch T.V. is not the easiest item to pack up and return.
For future reference, if you ever buy a large TV from Costco, use their "White Glove" delivery for an extra $99; they will handle all pickup and returns from your door step as part of the service.
aaronwt likes this.
post #287 of 853 Old 08-25-2019, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I happened to have it on and was watching when the blue firmware update screen appeared so I watched the whole second update take place and it executed in the same manner as the first update that took place when I first unboxed and plugged in the unit last Saturday.

I have no idea why it arrived last night for me, I think someone in an earlier post said that they got the update that brought Amazon Prime Video about a week ago.
Do I have to wait for the TV to update itself, or is there any way to go get it? Played around in settings this morning and can't find an update option?

Right now (because of no Prime Video), I have my Fire Stick 4k running into my Denon AVR-1300X, then from the Denon to HDMI 2.

Works great! Getting HDR/Dolby Vision as well as DD+ sound. I'd like to use the built in apps (something different than Amazon's architecture), but without Prime, this is a no go.

Loving this set. Much better than the H8C it replaces and sharper and brighter than the M658-G1 I bought last week (and returned yesterday).
post #288 of 853 Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Bisaillon View Post
Do I have to wait for the TV to update itself, or is there any way to go get it? Played around in settings this morning and can't find an update option?

Right now (because of no Prime Video), I have my Fire Stick 4k running into my Denon AVR-1300X, then from the Denon to HDMI 2.

Works great! Getting HDR/Dolby Vision as well as DD+ sound. I'd like to use the built in apps (something different than Amazon's architecture), but without Prime, this is a no go.

Loving this set. Much better than the H8C it replaces and sharper and brighter than the M658-G1 I bought last week (and returned yesterday).
In the settings, you can click on "Check for Update" but if it hasn't been pushed to you yet it won't be there. Once it is pushed to you, I think you will see the update screen automatically when you power on. Maybe Hisense pushes the updates out in a staggered way by serial number or something and yours happens to have come from a batch with a later serial number. I bet your second update could come anytime.

In terms of audio and truly getting Dolby ATMOS sound, you are actually better off using your Fire TV 4K Stick through your Denon AVR, not the internal prime Video app once you get it. External via Atmos capable AVR is the way I did it too. The reason is that there is no way to get Atmos sound "out" of the TV, even if ARC/CEC on Input 1 was bug free and usable. Once the non-flagship sets all have HDMI 2.1, this will be possible but that is probably another 2 years away in this price range.

Glad you like the set. Since my last post I have turned up the backlight setting for "Theater Night" picture mode (used for cable/sat box and 1080p discs) from 52 to 78, and turned the color on all three picture modes down from 60 to 56. I think the picture is nearly perfect now and i am still very happy with the set too. A couple of the nicer competing 65-inch FALD TVs have suddenly come down to the $1400 range (perhaps because of TCL) if you are ok with ordering from an ebay-type seller, but that is still $500 more than this set and I have a Best Buy down the street if anything should go wrong so I still think this was a solid decision.
ProsperDad likes this.
post #289 of 853 Old 08-25-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Figured I would give my input on the 55" model after returning the 65" model. I originally purchased the 65" H9F, but I returned it and kept my 65X950G as the Sony had an overall better image. I saw that the 55" was available at a store near me and I wanted to give it a try and possibly use it as a guest room set. Unfortunately, the 55" H9F and the 65" H9F are completely different televisions. The color, contrast, sharpness, are all much worse than the 65" H9F. Where as the 65" H9F was extremely close to the X950G in overall image quality, the 55" was nowhere near it. This is most likely a difference in the type of panel used. I also noticed that the 55" H9F had horrible viewing angles, some of the worst I have seen. If you are looking at buying the H9F, buy the 65" model, it is easily worth the price premium.
post #290 of 853 Old 08-25-2019, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 46
In what areas do you feel the Sony was a winner and vise versa?
post #291 of 853 Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Figured I would give my input on the 55" model after returning the 65" model. I originally purchased the 65" H9F, but I returned it and kept my 65X950G as the Sony had an overall better image. I saw that the 55" was available at a store near me and I wanted to give it a try and possibly use it as a guest room set. Unfortunately, the 55" H9F and the 65" H9F are completely different televisions. The color, contrast, sharpness, are all much worse than the 65" H9F. Where as the 65" H9F was extremely close to the X950G in overall image quality, the 55" was nowhere near it. This is most likely a difference in the type of panel used. I also noticed that the 55" H9F had horrible viewing angles, some of the worst I have seen. If you are looking at buying the H9F, buy the 65" model, it is easily worth the price premium.
Also could've just been a bad panel in the particular 55" set that you got

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Diehardfan and miker10000000 like this.
post #292 of 853 Old 08-25-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
In the settings, you can click on "Check for Update" but if it hasn't been pushed to you yet it won't be there. Once it is pushed to you, I think you will see the update screen automatically when you power on. Maybe Hisense pushes the updates out in a staggered way by serial number or something and yours happens to have come from a batch with a later serial number. I bet your second update could come anytime.

In terms of audio and truly getting Dolby ATMOS sound, you are actually better off using your Fire TV 4K Stick through your Denon AVR, not the internal prime Video app once you get it. External via Atmos capable AVR is the way I did it too. The reason is that there is no way to get Atmos sound "out" of the TV, even if ARC/CEC on Input 1 was bug free and usable. Once the non-flagship sets all have HDMI 2.1, this will be possible but that is probably another 2 years away in this price range.

Glad you like the set. Since my last post I have turned up the backlight setting for "Theater Night" picture mode (used for cable/sat box and 1080p discs) from 52 to 78, and turned the color on all three picture modes down from 60 to 56. I think the picture is nearly perfect now and i am still very happy with the set too. A couple of the nicer competing 65-inch FALD TVs have suddenly come down to the $1400 range (perhaps because of TCL) if you are ok with ordering from an ebay-type seller, but that is still $500 more than this set and I have a Best Buy down the street if anything should go wrong so I still think this was a solid decision.

Hisense as well as all other manufacturers Pushes Firmware Updates, out based on many factor TV Region, and Or Serial Numbers, Date of Production etc. and All manufacturers push updates only to about 10-20% Of available Units, just in case the Firmware has some Unknown or Unforseen catastrophic failure. They don’t destroy everyone’s TV just a handful.
post #293 of 853 Old 08-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
i have a question. how do i set my tv to turn on with my cable box? it keeps going to my firestick but i dont know how to change it.
post #294 of 853 Old 08-27-2019, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Also could've just been a bad panel in the particular 55" set that you got

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Exactly. I've had the 55 for a week now and I've seen none of that. Being an Android TV, I did not need the Prime Video app but got it via the update anyway. I've not found a single thing this TV does poorly. Dark corners, maybe but I only see it on very light backgrounds. Never mentioned anything about them to my wife and she has yet to say anything about it. Actually, I think I see the corners only because I know they are there.
miker10000000 likes this.
post #295 of 853 Old 08-28-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Man this TV seems like it could be a great value. But super hit and miss on the issues. Following this to see how the links get worked out.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #296 of 853 Old 08-28-2019, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
On my 65" H9F is experiencing this issue where the automatic light sensor sort of stopped working and It will not automatically dim backlight. The backlight level will just be constant at the preset value. Then restarting the TV fixes it but then it will happen again. Anybody has this issue?
post #297 of 853 Old 08-29-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just got my 55 inch today.

Out the box and not even touching the settings, 4k content looked absolutely stunning.I was very very impressed.I havent ran many tests or touched settings yet but will do later today. I did notice a good amount of bloom when watching bright but so far corners look good.

At this price,this tv's potential is through the roof.
miker10000000 likes this.
post #298 of 853 Old 08-29-2019, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
Just got my 55 inch today.

Out the box and not even touching the settings, 4k content looked absolutely stunning.I was very very impressed.I havent ran many tests or touched settings yet but will do later today. I did notice a good amount of bloom when watching bright but so far corners look good.

At this price,this tv's potential is through the roof.
What TV(s) did you have before the H9F?
post #299 of 853 Old 08-29-2019, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I will be making a choice between the the 55H9F and the TCL R625 when it drops.Need a nice panel for the bedroom.
theboomr likes this.

Vizio PQ65-F1, MediaLight Quad 6500k, VIZIO SB3821-C6, Xbox one X Gears 5 edition, PS4, Nvidia Shield TV, Firestick 4K, Sony UBP-X700
post #300 of 853 Old 08-29-2019, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I'm also waiting for the TCL 65R625 to arrive before I make my decision.
theboomr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , h9f bootloop , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page