Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 215Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 541 Old 08-29-2019, 07:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
What TV(s) did you have before the H9F?
I have a Sony 900F right now along with H9F

Had the Samsung
NU 8000
Q6
Q7
wallyesquire is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 541 Old 08-29-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,486
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
I have a Sony 900F right now along with H9F




I know they are in different leagues. But how does this set compete to the Sony?
theboomr likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #303 of 541 Old 08-29-2019, 07:47 AM
Member
 
jrossh21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Exclamation Hisense H9F 5.1 audio issue with native apps

I'm curious to see who else has this problem and possibly knows a fix ...

I have an HDMI cable between the TV (HDMI1 - ARC) and my AVR (Monitor Out - ARC). My audio settings are "TV Speakers = ARC", and "Digital Audio Out = DD+" (I've tried DD and PCM with no luck either). The entire testing time, my AVR displays DD+. Plex will only transmit 5.1 if the codec is AC-3 (DD) or EAC-3 (DD+). If the codec is AAC or DTS, it will only transmit stereo sound to my AVR. Netflix won't even show the little "5.1" icon next to the title of any movie or TV show. So it sends stereo for everything. I haven't done extensive testing with Amazon Prime Video - but I'm assuming the same with it.

Please, do your own testing and see if it's an issue with your set up as well. This is only for native apps!
jrossh21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #304 of 541 Old 08-29-2019, 08:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I know they are in different leagues. But how does this set compete to the Sony?
Honestly idk at the moment as I have not configured the settings or compared similar 4k sources, movies and cable tv yet.

However it took me about 35 days and constant setting changes for me to even like the Sony 900F.I love the tv now but it definitely wasn't love at first sight even on 4k netflix things.

Also the H9F tv speakers are easily the best I have heard on a tv.Most new tv speakers are pure ass and not tolerable.I legit think I might not even put a sound bar or surround sound system on the H9F.If I could just connect a sub to the H9F I would be set.

Edit-I have my Sony settings set to my liking and compared Black panther now and Sony Def wins but its against factory H9F settings.H9f is really bright but ofc sony has that lovely natural look that I love.

but for the price the H9F is looking great so far.
theboomr and miker10000000 like this.

Last edited by wallyesquire; 08-29-2019 at 08:37 AM.
wallyesquire is offline  
post #305 of 541 Old 08-29-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,486
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
Honestly idk at the moment as I have not configured the settings or compared similar 4k sources, movies and cable tv yet.

However it took me about 35 days and constant setting changes for me to even like the Sony 900F.I love the tv now but it definitely wasn't love at first sight even on 4k netflix things.

Also the H9F tv speakers are easily the best I have heard on a tv.Most new tv speakers are pure ass and not tolerable.I legit think I might not even put a sound bar or surround sound system on the H9F.If I could just connect a sub to the H9F I would be set.

Edit-I have my Sony settings set to my liking and compared Black panther now and Sony Def wins but its against factory H9F settings.H9f is really bright but ofc sony has that lovely natural look that I love.

but for the price the H9F is looking great so far.
Well thats encouraging. I thought the 900F was considered a great set. Guess I need to see this H9F in action.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is offline  
post #306 of 541 Old 08-29-2019, 08:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Well thats encouraging. I thought the 900F was considered a great set. Guess I need to see this H9F in action.
Yes many love the Sony 900F aside from the blooming but it is a great Tv.Great processing, natural colors and vibe.

But yes I look forward to tinkering around the H9F.Even if I end up not liking it as much as my 900F it will still be a great value and bang for you buck.

This is my for the living which I might not watch as much and just use firestick and things on tho.
wallyesquire is offline  
post #307 of 541 Old 08-29-2019, 08:48 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Re: Dolby Atmos via Internal Apps and ARC

Confirmed, you can get Atmos sound out of the 65H9F to your AVR or sound bar over ARC using internal apps. You just have to be willing to put up with a bit of bug from the ARC/CEC on Input 1 (the TV volume slider popping up and blinking a couple times when inputs are switched). Many thanks to those who pointed out that you have to enable the Dolby Digital Plus setting in the Advanced menu part of the Audio menu which was the key. I have confirmed that you can get Atmos out over ARC this way using the internal: Amazon Prime video app, the VUDU app, and the Movies Anywhere app. However, I have not gotten Atmos out from the internal Netflix app yet.

With almost another week under my belt, here are a couple other observations (note--they likely only apply to the 65-inch 120 hz panel, not the 55-inch):

--Some have noted what seems to be washed out color from 4k inputs via HDMI. I think I know what they meant because I have a Fios TV One box and that particular source for watching live TV seemed that way to me as well. What I did was to go into the Fios TV One box settings and change its output from 4K to 1080P. I know this seems counter-intuitive, but suddenly my quantum dots kicked in big time and the colors popped hugely. I heard that this particular Fios box (which can rent 4k movies) has a 1080p stream for cable TV and I think the 65H9F does color best when you let it up-scale 1080p for watching live TV. Letting your cable/sat box up-scale to 4k is fine in terms of resolution of course, but may not be the best idea if you enjoy good, saturated color like for football games.

--In terms of up-scaling generally, this TV is not a $2000+ Sony but it is far better than any Vizio in this regard, but I would say that your experience with up-scaling on this set depends greatly on your source and especially your settings. Of course, 4K sources and even 1080p sources upscale very well on this set, but I can imaging that folks who have an older cable box like Comcast that only outputs 1080i at best get some artifacts. My advice is to keep your contrast and brightness at default 50 and all motion and noise processing off in order to minimize the picture processing (or call your cable company and upgrade to a box that at least outputs 1080p!). If an older movie seems a bit grainy, try switching to dark mode.

--I think some have noted the absence of the HDR symbol when watching a Dolby Vision title and questioned whether they were getting HDR. It seems to me the answer is unequivocally yes because Dolby Vision is by definition a form of HDR, actually an advanced form of "dynamic" HDR (HDR10 is now often referred to as "static HDR"). People with Apple TV have confirmed that if they disable Dolby Vision, they see the HDR symbol but why would you, Dolby Vision is superior.

--There are some Dolby Vision shows that seem very dim, Ozark on Netflix is one of them. What I do for these is turn the Active Contrast "off" while I watch that particular show and it helps you see the dark shadow detail much better (I have Active Contrast set to low or medium most of the rest of the time).

Some have said the colors are off and I would agree that the skin tone takes some special tweaking even after you do the white balance calibration. Fortunately, this TV has good adjustability for this issue and you can correct it. The tiny bit of darkness in the corners on a full white screen (common to all FALDS) is barely noticeable and if this is the price for the crispy blacks you get with this TV, I'll take it.
theboomr likes this.
ltwhite is offline  
post #308 of 541 Old 08-29-2019, 01:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
I have a Sony 900F right now along with H9F

Had the Samsung
NU 8000
Q6
Q7

Great, I have an NU8000 now and looking to upgrade. Which one would be the best upgrade from the NU8000? Or is there not a significant enough upgrade to warrant it? I'm considering a Sony, H9F, TCL 6, or the Q70R.


curious how the bloom on the Sony compares to the NU8000. The edgelit factor is really the reason I'm abandoning the NU. It creates a light wash on the whole screen while watching movies in a pitch black room
TwayneP is offline  
post #309 of 541 Old 08-29-2019, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
Great, I have an NU8000 now and looking to upgrade. Which one would be the best upgrade from the NU8000? Or is there not a significant enough upgrade to warrant it? I'm considering a Sony, H9F, TCL 6, or the Q70R.


curious how the bloom on the Sony compares to the NU8000. The edgelit factor is really the reason I'm abandoning the NU. It creates a light wash on the whole screen while watching movies in a pitch black room
Man I loved the NU8000 when I had it however I had to get rid of all my samsung tv's because they had this clicking/ticking noise from the rear panel that was so annoying and wouldn't stop.I haven't looked at at another samsung since and more people are having that issue.

I will always have a Sony TV simply because of its processing and picture color.There is nothing like it imo.I have had 2 900F and 1 blooming and clouding was worst than the other but all these TVs now have issues and are **** imo lol.Its a true lottery for every tv and company.

I personally hear so much about banding issues with TCL to give them a try.However when the tv is perfect it seems to be a great set but I have not owned 1 or seen in person.

Honestly im done paying big money on tvs.More money and the tv still has issues or not perfect or has a long term issues.my samsung lcd lasted 12 years and I never worried about view angles or banding or uniformity or black corners or blooming.The **** didnt exist and if not for a sensor dying after 12 years Id still watch it.Its a shame
wallyesquire is offline  
post #310 of 541 Old 08-29-2019, 07:22 PM
Member
 
jrossh21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks admin ...

Thanks admin ... since you deleted my post and moved it here, it has already got lost in the shuffle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossh21 View Post
I'm curious to see who else has this problem and possibly knows a fix ...

I have an HDMI cable between the TV (HDMI1 - ARC) and my AVR (Monitor Out - ARC). My audio settings are "TV Speakers = ARC", and "Digital Audio Out = DD+" (I've tried DD and PCM with no luck either). The entire testing time, my AVR displays DD+. Plex will only transmit 5.1 if the codec is AC-3 (DD) or EAC-3 (DD+). If the codec is AAC or DTS, it will only transmit stereo sound to my AVR. Netflix won't even show the little "5.1" icon next to the title of any movie or TV show. So it sends stereo for everything. I haven't done extensive testing with Amazon Prime Video - but I'm assuming the same with it.

Please, do your own testing and see if it's an issue with your set up as well. This is only for native apps!
jrossh21 is offline  
post #311 of 541 Old 08-30-2019, 03:12 AM
Member
 
rapidturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have a 55 inch KS 8000. I originally bought a 65 inch vizio p quantum, and thought the ks Samsung had a much better picture. The Vizio always looked cloudy. I returned it for the H9f. The H9f seems to be much more Samsung like. The color just seems to pop off the screen. I've messed with the settings, and love the H9f. It handles motion way better than the Vizio did. Lots of stutter with th Vizio. I always looked at the KS 800, and thought wow, what a great picture. I now look at the Hisense, and think wow, this is even better than the KS 8000.
rapidturtle is offline  
post #312 of 541 Old 08-30-2019, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
gondey99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidturtle View Post
I have a 55 inch KS 8000. I originally bought a 65 inch vizio p quantum, and thought the ks Samsung had a much better picture. The Vizio always looked cloudy. I returned it for the H9f. The H9f seems to be much more Samsung like. The color just seems to pop off the screen. I've messed with the settings, and love the H9f. It handles motion way better than the Vizio did. Lots of stutter with th Vizio. I always looked at the KS 800, and thought wow, what a great picture. I now look at the Hisense, and think wow, this is even better than the KS 8000.
Please keep us updated with your shiny new tv.
gondey99 is offline  
post #313 of 541 Old 08-30-2019, 01:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just received the 55 in and am loving it so far other than one issue with my ps4. When I start up a game and it switches to HDR, the screen dims then gets brighter, then dims again. It repeats this cycle every couple of seconds and makes the game hard to enjoy as it's so distracting. I've tried changing a bunch of settings on the TV, but nothing seems to stop it other than going into the ps4 menu and turning HDR off. Anyone else have this issue or know what may be causing it?

I have several days left to return it to Best Buy if I need to, but hopefully doesn't come to that.

Thanks!
Korbben21 is offline  
post #314 of 541 Old 08-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a question for someone that has the 65" version of the TV. How far are the mounting screws from either top of the bottom (not counting the stand)? I could not find any good picture of the TVs back showing them, and if I were to get the TV I would like to mount it, however because of my wall outlet setup I cannot have the screw points be too low. I appreciate the info.
Huzsar is offline  
post #315 of 541 Old 08-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Craigslue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
From what I remember from pictures the mounting points are rather low. Not what you wanted to hear. Myself on the other hand need the mounting point low rather than high. I think it's 400x200 bolt pattern.
Craigslue is offline  
post #316 of 541 Old 08-30-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SpHeRe31459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzsar View Post
I have a question for someone that has the 65" version of the TV. How far are the mounting screws from either top of the bottom (not counting the stand)? I could not find any good picture of the TVs back showing them, and if I were to get the TV I would like to mount it, however because of my wall outlet setup I cannot have the screw points be too low. I appreciate the info.
Rtings always has good pictures of the back of any TV set they review. You can see how low the VESA holes are in this picture:
https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/...back-large.jpg
SpHeRe31459 is offline  
post #317 of 541 Old 08-30-2019, 09:47 PM
Member
 
rapidturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Mine is on the wall, so tough to measure, but I came up with about 14 inches from top mounting hole to the bottom of the T.V.
rapidturtle is offline  
post #318 of 541 Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I did a dirty screen effect and got damn it was so dirty lol.ofc on all sets its has darker corners and maybe at bottom but sheesh.It look like a damn indian jones map and beige/tan like the constitution lol.Never seen a screen like that.You can also see it when the tv starts up on firestick. Not pretty but when watching movies and shows man this is a great tv and picture.The images really just pop and its not over saturation like samsung tvs.I have had no issue with the black levels either.Hell I still haven't even messed up settings.

Gaming on it is great as well.

I may or may not buy another and see if the DSE is better because this is definitely a tv I am going to keep.
miker10000000 likes this.
wallyesquire is offline  
post #319 of 541 Old 08-31-2019, 09:14 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
I did a dirty screen effect and got damn it was so dirty lol.ofc on all sets its has darker corners and maybe at bottom but sheesh.It look like a damn indian jones map and beige/tan like the constitution lol.Never seen a screen like that.You can also see it when the tv starts up on firestick. Not pretty but when watching movies and shows man this is a great tv and picture.The images really just pop and its not over saturation like samsung tvs.I have had no issue with the black levels either.Hell I still haven't even messed up settings.

Gaming on it is great as well.

I may or may not buy another and see if the DSE is better because this is definitely a tv I am going to keep.

Yes, this is the one issue making me think about returning the TV. Picture quality is great when watching movies and TV shows but the gray uniformity and DSE is very bad and noticeable. Not only are the corners darker, the but the sides of the screen are yellow, which is noticeable on white and grey backgrounds. Also, the Android system is sluggish and sometimes gives a delayed response to my commands.

Wondering if I should go for a replacement or just pay extra for a samsung, sony or LG.
Raza K is offline  
post #320 of 541 Old 08-31-2019, 09:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza K View Post
Yes, this is the one issue making me think about returning the TV. Picture quality is great when watching movies and TV shows but the gray uniformity and DSE is very bad and noticeable. Not only are the corners darker, the but the sides of the screen are yellow, which is noticeable on white and grey backgrounds. Also, the Android system is sluggish and sometimes gives a delayed response to my commands.

Wondering if I should go for a replacement or just pay extra for a samsung, sony or LG.
Yea it is really bad almost unbelievable lol.

Im still deciding as I wont be watching this tv as much but man it makes me appreciate my 900F more at times.But yea its that bad
wallyesquire is offline  
post #321 of 541 Old 08-31-2019, 09:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
Yea it is really bad almost unbelievable lol.

Im still deciding as I wont be watching this tv as much but man it makes me appreciate my 900F more at times.But yea its that bad
I was thinking about the 900F. Is the screen uniformity good? Any DSE? especially on grey or white backgrounds?
Raza K is offline  
post #322 of 541 Old 08-31-2019, 10:52 AM
Member
 
JameRetief2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza K View Post
... the gray uniformity and DSE is very bad and noticeable. Not only are the corners darker, the but the sides of the screen are yellow, which is noticeable on white and grey backgrounds.

Wondering if I should go for a replacement or just pay extra for a samsung, sony or LG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
Yea it is really bad almost unbelievable lol.

Im still deciding as I wont be watching this tv as much but man it makes me appreciate my 900F more at times.But yea its that bad
Seriously, get replacement panels. If the uniformity is that bad, don't settle. Even as a "budget" brand, you are spending a good chunk of money so, yes, you should expect a level of uniformity that isn't a distraction when viewing content.
theboomr and miker10000000 like this.
JameRetief2005 is offline  
post #323 of 541 Old 08-31-2019, 03:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza K View Post
I was thinking about the 900F. Is the screen uniformity good? Any DSE? especially on grey or white backgrounds?
Yup but as I mentioned in todays world there is no perfect panel.Mines has some dark spots but nothing like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameRetief2005 View Post
Seriously, get replacement panels. If the uniformity is that bad, don't settle. Even as a "budget" brand, you are spending a good chunk of money so, yes, you should expect a level of uniformity that isn't a distraction when viewing content.
I agree.I have returned a few tvs before for less.Hate the dragging of the tv up to the store tho
wallyesquire is offline  
post #324 of 541 Old 09-01-2019, 11:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Very close to pulling the trigger on the H9F.

Any issues with the Toslink (optical audio)? I need to run my Sennheiser RS160 from the optical audio port.

Thanks!
leafybean is offline  
post #325 of 541 Old 09-02-2019, 11:56 AM
Member
 
Smiller4128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hey guys, I’m in need of advice. I currently have a 55” Sony X900E that I really enjoy but want to upgrade for 2 reasons. 1. Size - I want to move up to a 65” and 2. I want Dolby Vision.

My budget can go up to $2000, but I’d like to not go that high if I can help it. My top choice right now is the Samsung Q80. It currently sits at my maximum budget but I’m holding out to see if that price comes down during Black Friday sales.

In the meantime, I’ve been looking at alternatives. I’m VERY interested in the TCL 8-series with its micro LEDs for watching movies at night and getting those deep blacks. But it’ll also depict at the top of my budget.

Alternatives to those two TVs have led me to either the Vizio Quantum X, the 2019 TCL 6 series, and this Hisense H9F which seems to be a sleeper hit.

I’ve read positives and negatives on all of them and can’t really seem to decide at all. Everyone here who games says to pass on them and the TCL because they don’t have VRR for gaming? It seems only the Samsung does, but Samsung doesn’t support Dolby Vision.

My tv time gets split exactly 50/50 between HDR Movies and HDR gaming. So what’s more important, VRR for gaming or Dolby Vision? And will this Hisense satisfy those needs for me more so than the other TVs?
Smiller4128 is offline  
post #326 of 541 Old 09-02-2019, 02:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Had this TV for a few days now - reactions

Guys I just got the 65" H9F and wanted to share my impressions and experiences with this set so far.

This is my third TV from best buy in the past 2 months, I initially bought the VIZIO M658-G1. I returned the first one for a replacement because I had visible jailbars running across the entire set vertically - faint but very visible yellow tinging in vertical bars during light scenes such as sky or clouds. The second set was even worse I could also see some horizontal bars as well.

Luckily the H9F was available locally by the time I exchanged the second VIZIO and now I have a H9F in my bedroom. Initial impressions:

1) When setup correctly this set kills the VIZIO - much brighter, better colors, smooth motion and best of all no visible jailbars

2) I have a VERY small amount of vignetting like a 1/4" spot in each corner thats slightly darker than the rest of the screen. The VIZIO was a champ in this regard - full brightness edge to edge, but I'll take a bit of darkness in corners vs visible jailbars throught the entire screen.

3) You need a separate streamer for this TV - the android system and built in apps suck, super slow responding to inputs and just a generally crappy experience. I have a 4K firestick and it's butter smooth on the H9F

4) This section about update washing out my colors was incorrect - I've pinpointed the dull color issue to only occur when playing back HDR youtube videos on my firestick 4k. I believe the issue is with the firestick and not the TV


Overall I think I'm going to keep the TV. I think I won the panel lottery as I have nearly no visible vignetting, no jailbars, and acceptable DSE - as in I don't notice it or care and I'm not gonna go looking for it because once you see it you can't unsee it.

This is a much better set then the VIZIO.

I am having issues with HDR videos on youtube


In the first video, the cherries in the beginning scene show up as brownish instead of red in any HDR picture mode on the H9F both via my firestick. When viewed in Theater Day or Dolby Vision the cherries are proper red.

In the second video, the red bell peppers and cherry tomatoes show up super washed out in HDR but proper in Dolby Vision.


I'm gonna keep it as I'm tired of swapping out TV's. Honestly there is no perfect TV in the sub $1000 range and the H9F is probably the best of the bunch in this range. Time to just start enjoying the TV instead of watching critically and trying to pick out flaws.

Last edited by hawaiiguy; 09-06-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Incorrect Information
hawaiiguy is offline  
post #327 of 541 Old 09-02-2019, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Craigslue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 882
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What do you have the color setting at? I remember somebody saying they put the color to native because auto was to washed out. Don't remember where I seen that? Anyway there are bound to be hiccups with this TV and updates. The important thing is how Hisense deals and responds to them. Only time will tell.
Craigslue is offline  
post #328 of 541 Old 09-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post
What do you have the color setting at? I remember somebody saying they put the color to native because auto was to washed out. Don't remember where I seen that? Anyway there are bound to be hiccups with this TV and updates. The important thing is how Hisense deals and responds to them. Only time will tell.
I tried both auto and native - same washed out color
hawaiiguy is offline  
post #329 of 541 Old 09-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So...don’t run firmware update if you want to maintain proper HDR. That right?
leafybean is offline  
post #330 of 541 Old 09-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafybean View Post
So...don’t run firmware update if you want to maintain proper HDR. That right?
Don't ever connect your network. I connected mine briefly during a reset and it updated automatically without asking.
leafybean likes this.
hawaiiguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off