Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 290Likes

post #331 of 848 Old 09-03-2019, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiguy View Post
Don't ever connect your network. I connected mine briefly during a reset and it updated automatically without asking.
When I had this tv, the firmware update did nothing to color. No negative effect on picture quality. I think you may be experiencing the placebo effect after watching a certain propaganda spreading youtuber.
Diehardfan, VisionxOrb and js950 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 848 Old 09-03-2019, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
When I had this tv, the firmware update did nothing to color. No negative effect on picture quality. I think you may be experiencing the placebo effect after watching a certain propaganda spreading youtuber.
I think the saying goes a picture is worth a 1000 words? So either I'm experiencing a placeboo effect or the thing was broken to begin with? Either way, HDR on my set is awful. Any insight you may have to help me rectify the situation is appreciated as I'd love for this TV to be perfect.

I must apologize - the only source I have for HDR is my firestick and upon further viewing it seems HDR is fine on Amazon Prime Video and Netflix via the firestick but godawful on the firestick youtube app. So it seems the issue is with the firestick and or the firestick youtube app.

On a related note, I am not able to get the TV's native youtube app to play in HDR so cannot test that.

Pictures uploaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7084.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	975.6 KB
ID:	2610550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7085.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	892.6 KB
ID:	2610552  
gondey99 likes this.

Last edited by hawaiiguy; 09-06-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Incorrect Information
post #333 of 848 Old 09-03-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
I think the saying goes a picture is worth a 1000 words? So either I'm experiencing a placeboo effect or the thing was broken to begin with? Either way, HDR on my set is awful. Any insight you may have to help me rectify the situation is appreciated as I'd love for this TV to be perfect.

Pictures uploaded.

I don't understand those picture modes. Is that fake Dolby vision? Like fake HDR mode many TV's have?

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 848 Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Pictures uploaded.
This might sound like a dumb question, but how do you access the Dolby Vision picture mode?
post #335 of 848 Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Pictures uploaded.
Not usually recommended to force Firestick to push out a Dolby Vision stream with non-Dolby Vision content. Can you go into calibration settings and push the reds in the regular HDR mode? I actually have the opposite issue with oversaturation of reds and flesh tones (before and after the firmware updates), especially with the recommended warm color balance set in the HDR and Vision modes. I was able to correct in calibration -- however, some of the older HDR titles (2016ish) on Netflix and Prime are hopeless, but I'm assuming that's a source issue with post-production people still new to the technology.
post #336 of 848 Old 09-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondpluto View Post
Not usually recommended to force Firestick to push out a Dolby Vision stream with non-Dolby Vision content. Can you go into calibration settings and push the reds in the regular HDR mode? I actually have the opposite issue with oversaturation of reds and flesh tones (before and after the firmware updates), especially with the recommended warm color balance set in the HDR and Vision modes. I was able to correct in calibration -- however, some of the older HDR titles (2016ish) on Netflix and Prime are hopeless, but I'm assuming that's a source issue with post-production people still new to the technology.
I'd like to fix it the proper way in calibration but haven't researched yet how to get that done. Did you do yours in the 2 point or 20 point mode? (White Balance)
post #337 of 848 Old 09-03-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossh21 View Post
This might sound like a dumb question, but how do you access the Dolby Vision picture mode?
It's only accessible when the TV sense's a Dolby Vision signal and it's automatically selected. The way I'm accessing it is via my firestick, by selecting "Always HDR"
post #338 of 848 Old 09-03-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I'd like to fix it the proper way in calibration but haven't researched yet how to get that done. Did you do yours in the 2 point or 20 point mode? (White Balance)
Yeah, set the Firestick back to adaptive dynamic range so you're getting the right setting over to the tv to match the content. I used two point and as well as color tuner. If it's just reds, you can play around with increasing the red saturation/brightness. Or you can increase the red gain and/or offset in white balance - or some combination of saturation and white balance adjustments.
post #339 of 848 Old 09-03-2019, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Decided to buy another 1 of these and see if the DSE is gone or atleast better on new set.

Still lovely picture but sheesh all white scenes or pictures are so bad.Some DSE is expected and darker corners but not like this.I could deal with it but why lol.We shall see with next set in a day
leafybean likes this.
post #340 of 848 Old 09-04-2019, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyesquire View Post
Decided to buy another 1 of these and see if the DSE is gone or atleast better on new set.

Still lovely picture but sheesh all white scenes or pictures are so bad.Some DSE is expected and darker corners but not like this.I could deal with it but why lol.We shall see with next set in a day
Please do keep us updated on your replacement set as I am tempted to try exchanging my current set for another one as well for the same issue.
leafybean likes this.
post #341 of 848 Old 09-04-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Feelgood View Post
Please do keep us updated on your replacement set as I am tempted to try exchanging my current set for another one as well for the same issue.
I will as soon as I get it up and running.Very anxious about it.If it's the same or worst I will probably keep the 1st set.However the edges are really bad.

its just how crazy the colors and picture is outside of this.Literally the only issue I have with it.Besides android os but that is ass and laggy on all sets imo
post #342 of 848 Old 09-04-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
These recent and growing number of complaints regarding DSE and panel inconsistencies is making me think I should just stick with my original choice, the 900F.
post #343 of 848 Old 09-04-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafybean View Post
These recent and growing number of complaints regarding DSE and panel inconsistencies is making me think I should just stick with my original choice, the 900F.

Its a great Tv,it really is buddy.These tvs have to cut corner and it shows up in some way.I still haven't even touch settings on the H9F which says something

No lie,I have probably change or altered settings on my 900f over 1000 times.I have it dialed in now but It took a ton of patience.Nothing beating Sony in the Natural look.It is gorgeous at times at displaying reality and realistic scenes and settings even if its just espn
post #344 of 848 Old 09-05-2019, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
It certainly has me waiting until the new TCL 65R625 is released...
post #345 of 848 Old 09-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind the people with problems are much more likely to post than people who don't. The only issue with my 65" H9F is the usual vignetting that I don't notice during normal viewing. No DSE beyond that on my set. Android OS is laggy from my playing around with it, but I use a Firestick 4K anyway.
post #346 of 848 Old 09-05-2019, 11:16 AM

Welp Tv number 2 is worse lol.

Much more dirtier.Might keep 1st or go with Vizio M series.Have to see some things today
leafybean likes this.

Last edited by wallyesquire; 09-05-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #347 of 848 Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondpluto View Post
Keep in mind the people with problems are much more likely to post than people who don't. The only issue with my 65" H9F is the usual vignetting that I don't notice during normal viewing. No DSE beyond that on my set. Android OS is laggy from my playing around with it, but I use a Firestick 4K anyway.

Sure, I understand that.

However, considering how few outlets there are to get the H9F (compared to the bigger brands), it’s a bit unnerving to continuously read about panel uniformity/quality related issues.
wallyesquire likes this.
post #348 of 848 Old 09-05-2019, 08:59 PM

Returning the new H9F that I received today.I ordered from bestbuy so they do return pickups from the house when its an online order.

I have no idea what I will do with the first set.Going to view a couple tvs tomorrow.
post #349 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have any of you had issues with game mode?

There's a noticeable difference in quality between Game mode and Standard mode! when in game mode everything looks dull/washed out, is this normal?

I've tried to play around with the settings but, does not seem to improve things

any ideas?
post #350 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVnoob1 View Post
Have any of you had issues with game mode?

There's a noticeable difference in quality between Game mode and Standard mode! when in game mode everything looks dull/washed out, is this normal?

I've tried to play around with the settings but, does not seem to improve things

any ideas?
It does the same thing on my TV, so I assume that's by design. I think the only advantage to using Game Mode is for the ms drop. Have you tried playing in Standard Mode and seen a noticeable difference in monitor lag? If not, I'd say just use Standard Mode from now on.
post #351 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Returning the new H9F that I received today.I ordered from bestbuy so they do return pickups from the house when its an online order.

I have no idea what I will do with the first set.Going to view a couple tvs tomorrow.

Well, that answers my questions. I just can't commit to the H9F due to the DSE. It would drive me nuts. A Damn shame really! *waits impatiently for new TCL 6 series*
post #352 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Pictures uploaded.
Looks like the HDR mode is faulty.
post #353 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
Well, that answers my questions. I just can't commit to the H9F due to the DSE. It would drive me nuts. A Damn shame really! *waits impatiently for new TCL 6 series*
Yea might check it out but always hear of banding issues galore with TCL.I might be down to try we owe nothing to any of these brands
post #354 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossh21 View Post
It does the same thing on my TV, so I assume that's by design. I think the only advantage to using Game Mode is for the ms drop. Have you tried playing in Standard Mode and seen a noticeable difference in monitor lag? If not, I'd say just use Standard Mode from now on.
yup, I've tried standard mode, and there's definitely too much lag for a first person shooter.

it's weird cause it almost feels as though the tv drops the resolution down to 720p in game mode

I will try playing with my PS4 setting tonight to see if there's a difference

are you using PS4?
post #355 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVnoob1 View Post
yup, I've tried standard mode, and there's definitely too much lag for a first person shooter.

it's weird cause it almost feels as though the tv drops the resolution down to 720p in game mode

I will try playing with my PS4 setting tonight to see if there's a difference

are you using PS4?
No, I don't have any console plugged in. But I've tried all the display modes and noticed how washed out some of the modes were - including Game Mode. And I know about the ms drop in Game Mode because I read about it on another page online. I hope there's a solution to your problem! I'm still dealing with Netflix not sending 5.1 surround sound to my receiver.
post #356 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Welp Tv number 2 is worse lol.

Much more dirtier.Might keep 1st or go with Vizio M series.Have to see some things today
I had 2 M series TV's and both had awful jailbar problems - the best buy manager also told me later all the new M and even P series Vizio's have the issue. They had to go through 4 TV's as their display model to get one with minimal jailbar.
post #357 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Looks like the HDR mode is faulty.
I've edited my posts to reflect the fact that it looks like the issue is with my firestick rather than the TV. My apologies.
theboomr and leafybean like this.
post #358 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Good to know you have isolated the issue.
theboomr likes this.
post #359 of 848 Old 09-06-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I had 2 M series TV's and both had awful jailbar problems - the best buy manager also told me later all the new M and even P series Vizio's have the issue. They had to go through 4 TV's as their display model to get one with minimal jailbar.
TCL for the win maybe lol.I have until october 11th lol
post #360 of 848 Old 09-07-2019, 06:58 AM

Liked: 9
I put together a little overview/review of the Hisense Q9/H9F if anyone is interested in watching.

Video link: https://youtu.be/dwKZZNlqNBg
Diehardfan and Frostyboy115 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , h9f bootloop , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page