Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 301Likes

post #361 of 890 Old 09-07-2019, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I had the p series quantum and found the motion was terrible. Way to much judder on that TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 890 Old 09-08-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
so after the last update my soundbar no longer works through hdmi arc i have to use optical cable. theres others with the same problem. hopefully a fix is coming soon.
post #363 of 890 Old 09-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVnoob1 View Post
yup, I've tried standard mode, and there's definitely too much lag for a first person shooter.

it's weird cause it almost feels as though the tv drops the resolution down to 720p in game mode

I will try playing with my PS4 setting tonight to see if there's a difference

are you using PS4?
That's exactly why I took mine back. You nailed the description head on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 890 Old 09-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I am about to get a new budget tv, 55inch.
I am torn in between the Hisense 55H9F and potentially the new TCL 6 2019. In past, the Hisense was in general better rated than the 2018 TCL.
Any suggestion or input. 80% movie, 20% game on my part.

Sony VPL-HW40ES / Silver Ticket 110"
Pioneer SC-97
Klipsch RP-450C / 2x RP-280F / 2x R-5650-S II / 2x F-30 / 2x CDT5800 II
Sub: Outlaw Ultra-X12
HTPC Windows 7 and Kodi (with custom Phenomenal skin) / Home Server for Media
My personal take on Acoustic Panels and Posters
post #365 of 890 Old 09-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Here's a review I came across. Not sure if it's been shared so here it is.

https://hdguru.com/review-hisense-65...-quantum-leap/
post #366 of 890 Old 09-09-2019, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For those who lose sound via HDMI ARC after a firmware update, CEC/ARC has been buggy on many sets for a long time because of complex digital crosstalk between different manufacturers devices being involved. We will all be thankful when we get to the eARC 2.1 world.

The reason it would manifest after a firmware update is that the HDMI handshake can get out of whack when the TV power is interrupted for the reboot. Almost by accident, I discovered that if you use this exact procedure and sequence you should be able to get fresh HDMI handshake:

--turn off the CEC or HDMI control on each and every external device that connects to your tv or hub via HDMI (i.e., Ultra Blu ray player, cable/sat box, FireTV Stick 4k, Chromecast Ultra, ROKU Premiere, Apple TV 4k, etc.).
--turn off the CEC or HDMI Control in whatever serves as the "hub" of your system (AVR or soundbar). First ensure the AVR or soundbar's own volume is set at audible levels.
--turn off the ARC and CEC in the TV settings, and leave it at TV speakers. Set the TV speakers volume down to zero.
--unplug the hdmi cable from tv Input 1.
--power everything off.

--power on the hub (avr or soundbar) ONLY, not the tv yet or anything else
--plug the hdmi cable back into TV Input 1
--enable CEC or hdmi control on the hub
--power on the TV and ensure the Dolby Digital Plus is enabled
--Test audio using an internal app such as Youtube or Pandora. From now on, leave the TV volume at zero and control your volume using only your hub.
--Enable the CEC or HDMI control on each external device connected by hdmi.

The odd thing is that I now get audio including Atmos over DD+ via HDMI Input 1 even though my setting in the TV is still TV speakers (but I know ARC must be active) and the TV CEC is completely off. No more volume slider pop ups so it works for me. However, I totally agree that if HiSense is listening, they need to fix this bug more permanently in the next update if they want happy customers.

As for those who can't get Atmos out via HDMI 1 from the internal Netflix app, nobody can. It is not a Hisense H9F flaw. You can't get Atmos from the Netflix app in the Fire TV 4K stick either, or any Netflix app in a device for that matter with the sole exception of the Netflix app in Apple TV 4K (and some high-end Samsung TV Netflix apps). Evidently Apple and Netflix have an exclusive deal there (and things like this explain why Apple TV 4K is a relatively expensive streaming device).

Overall, I still like the H9F and will be keeping it--picture quality is just excellent, period. I am a big Sony fan and never thought I would have a HiSense, but it is a great thing that we will never again have to pay over $1000 for a 65-inch TV with 120 hz panel, FALD, quantum dot and Dolby Vision again, so HiSense has done us consumers a real service for now. Can't wait for the mini-led/dual panel 75-inch 8Ks from TCL and others in a year or two!
post #367 of 890 Old 09-10-2019, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How is Hisense with firmware updates historically?

My h9f has yellowing on every side. It's only really noticeable on a white screen. It can make a grey screen look darker in that area too. I guess that makes sense. No dse in the middle which is nice.

Sort of no idea what else to try. Returns/replacements are tiresome. Part of me hates the idea of thinking "maybe I can get a better panel" but on the flipside "it may be worse and all the stress of rebox/returning". TCL 6 has panel issues too I read. Vizio has issues in general. In this ballpark is a properly working Hisense H9F with some panel issues, as good as it gets?

One other question. Can a DSE get worse over time? Such as will the yellow areas get darker or extend out further over time. Based on anyone's similiar issues with other tvs and tv tech history. I am curious.
post #368 of 890 Old 09-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth84 View Post
That's exactly why I took mine back. You nailed the description head on.
Hi samoth84, can you tell me what console you were using? I'm on PS4 at the moment and I wonder if the dull image in game mode may be due to the upscaling of the 1080p signal!

Some have said that game mode looks great on their TV, I wonder if it's because they have a native 4k image.

I'm really curious if anyone with an XBOX ONE X or PS4 PRO experience the same issue with game mode!

Thx
post #369 of 890 Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Hi samoth84, can you tell me what console you were using? I'm on PS4 at the moment and I wonder if the dull image in game mode may be due to the upscaling of the 1080p signal!

Some have said that game mode looks great on their TV, I wonder if it's because they have a native 4k image.

I'm really curious if anyone with an XBOX ONE X or PS4 PRO experience the same issue with game mode!

Thx
I'm on the Xbox One X. I have a Pro too but didn't try it with the tv. Game mode is just a mess unfortunately, at least in HDR.

I tried tuning and tweeking settings too but to no avail. The drop in picture quality is way to significant. I hope it's something they fix with an update but I didn't want to take the chance.
post #370 of 890 Old 09-10-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I'm on the Xbox One X. I have a Pro too but didn't try it with the tv. Game mode is just a mess unfortunately, at least in HDR.

I tried tuning and tweeking settings too but to no avail. The drop in picture quality is way to significant. I hope it's something they fix with an update but I didn't want to take the chance.
did you notice the drop in quality for non-HDR content?

such a shame, I really like this TV, but fell i will have no choice to return it!
post #371 of 890 Old 09-10-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
did you notice the drop in quality for non-HDR content?

such a shame, I really like this TV, but fell i will have no choice to return it!
Yes, game mode dropped it in SDR too.

It is a shame because I liked the tv too. Like I said, hopefully they fix it with an update but I didn't want to take the chance of being stuck with it. If it is fixed I might pick it up again down the line.

Outside of game mode SDR looks phenomenal but the high input lag ruins it for me.
post #372 of 890 Old 09-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by onitafmw55 View Post

My h9f has yellowing on every side. It's only really noticeable on a white screen. It can make a grey screen look darker in that area too. I guess that makes sense. No dse in the middle which is nice.

Sort of no idea what else to try. Returns/replacements are tiresome. Part of me hates the idea of thinking "maybe I can get a better panel" but on the flipside "it may be worse and all the stress of rebox/returning". TCL 6 has panel issues too I read. Vizio has issues in general. In this ballpark is a properly working Hisense H9F with some panel issues, as good as it gets?

One other question. Can a DSE get worse over time? Such as will the yellow areas get darker or extend out further over time. Based on anyone's similiar issues with other tvs and tv tech history. I am curious.
Basically like my tv.I went and bought another H9F which was even worse.I returned it and got refund and back to the 1st H9F which is bad but livable with the DSE/yellowing on all 4 sides.

Like I said before all brands are making bad panels and you have to live with an imperfect set sometimes.I don't want to buy another tv over $1000 because I rarely used my 2nd set as it is in the living room.I would love another Sony 900F but I don't want 2 of same tv's.
post #373 of 890 Old 09-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by onitafmw55 View Post

I think vignetting just comes with this TV. If you're like me and have DSE only around the edges, you did well. I only notice it on white screens if I look for it. IMO, it's an acceptable trade-off given the low price and overall image quality.
post #374 of 890 Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, game mode dropped it in SDR too.

It is a shame because I liked the tv too. Like I said, hopefully they fix it with an update but I didn't want to take the chance of being stuck with it. If it is fixed I might pick it up again down the line.

Outside of game mode SDR looks phenomenal but the high input lag ruins it for me.
I messed around with all setting yesterday! tried game mode on different inputs and sources and was able to get game mode to look decent, except on my PS4!

I noticed that with game mode on PS4 (in1080p) I cannot adjust the sharpness, even though the sharpness slider can move, it has no effect on the screen! it feels like the image is stuck at 0 sharpness, which would explain why it looks dull!

on all other inputs the sharpness work, even when I set the PS4 to 1080i it works, but as soon as I set the PS4 to 1080p, the sharpness slider does nothing!

wonder if this is a bug or something that can be fixed with an update! fingers crossed!
post #375 of 890 Old 09-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I messed around with all setting yesterday! tried game mode on different inputs and sources and was able to get game mode to look decent, except on my PS4!

I noticed that with game mode on PS4 (in1080p) I cannot adjust the sharpness, even though the sharpness slider can move, it has no effect on the screen! it feels like the image is stuck at 0 sharpness, which would explain why it looks dull!

on all other inputs the sharpness work, even when I set the PS4 to 1080i it works, but as soon as I set the PS4 to 1080p, the sharpness slider does nothing!

wonder if this is a bug or something that can be fixed with an update! fingers crossed!

Sweet! Keep us posted
post #376 of 890 Old 09-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amazon was showing the H9F in 55 and 65 inch in stock via Prime however today both listings are no where to be found.
post #377 of 890 Old 09-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Sweet! Keep us posted
Thinking exchanging this TV for and Samsung Q70 (which will cost more..) due to the game mode issue!

do you think Q70 will be a downgrade in terms of picture quality?
post #378 of 890 Old 09-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:

do you think Q70 will be a downgrade in terms of picture quality?
Well, yes and no.

Samsung has a lot of cool gaming features in their tv's so it will definitely be on upgrade on the game front. You lose a lot with everything else though.

- Much worse local dimming
- No Dolby Vision

Honestly, I would pick it up and test it out if I were you. It's hard to sit here and say what will be worth it for you, and since I have only seen the H9F in person, that is the only one I can fairly comment on.
theboomr likes this.
post #379 of 890 Old 09-12-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by domes701 View Post
Amazon was showing the H9F in 55 and 65 inch in stock via Prime however today both listings are no where to be found.
My 55 was delivered yesterday, must have gotten the last one
Something told me to jump on it, glad I did, liking it so far.
post #380 of 890 Old 09-12-2019, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I bought the H9F to replace a 2 year old Samsung KS8000 that got the green screen on Sunday. I was going to buy another Samsung but the reviews on this were pretty good. I have a Denon AVR-S720W receiver that is supposed to support Dolby Vision and an Xbox One X and a Nvidia Shield connected to the receiver.

I tried playing Altered Carbon on Netflix with my Xbox One an the Dolby Vision logo pops up and the show can be seen for a few seconds but then it starts flickering and cutting out. Has anyone else had an issues with the Dolby Vision? Is there a way to force it to HDR to see if that works?

Also when I try my Nvidia Shield the colors look very light compared to when I had it hooked up to the Samsung. I like this TV but if I can't get the flickering to stop I may have to return it.

I had no issues before but I also didn't have a TV that supported Dolby Vision.
post #381 of 890 Old 09-12-2019, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Why don't you use the built-in Netflix app, there is no advantage to using the Xbox.
post #382 of 890 Old 09-12-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Also did you turn on the hdmi enhancements in the menu
post #383 of 890 Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Cutler View Post
I tried playing Altered Carbon on Netflix with my Xbox One an the Dolby Vision logo pops up and the show can be seen for a few seconds but then it starts flickering and cutting out. Has anyone else had an issues with the Dolby Vision? Is there a way to force it to HDR to see if that works?

I like this TV but if I can't get the flickering to stop I may have to return it.

I had no issues before but I also didn't have a TV that supported Dolby Vision.
Maybe you need a better HDMI cable that can handle the bandwidth of a 4K HDR feed?
theboomr likes this.
post #384 of 890 Old 09-13-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnl View Post
Why don't you use the built-in Netflix app, there is no advantage to using the Xbox.

I have to use ARC for the built in apps and that has limited audio options. I did change the HDMI to enhanced.
post #385 of 890 Old 09-13-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameRetief2005 View Post
Maybe you need a better HDMI cable that can handle the bandwidth of a 4K HDR feed?

I am going to try this when I get home after work. I had the Samsung KS8000 and the HDR worked fine on both the Xbox and Nvidia Shield so I wouldn't think it would be the cables but I will give a try.
post #386 of 890 Old 09-13-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Well, yes and no.

Samsung has a lot of cool gaming features in their tv's so it will definitely be on upgrade on the game front. You lose a lot with everything else though.

- Much worse local dimming
- No Dolby Vision

Honestly, I would pick it up and test it out if I were you. It's hard to sit here and say what will be worth it for you, and since I have only seen the H9F in person, that is the only one I can fairly comment on.
I decided to return the TV as well, will wait it out for the 2019 TCL 6 series, I wonder if the TCL will degrade the image in game mode as well!

Is this is an issue with most TV?
post #387 of 890 Old 09-13-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone tried the ATSC tuner on the H9F yet? How does it perform/compare to your current set?
Craigslue likes this.
post #388 of 890 Old 09-13-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Native Netflix 5.1 logo?

Just curious, is it just me, or is anyone else NOT getting the 5.1 logo on shows in the native Netflix app? I'm connect to my AVR via HDMI1 (ARC) and I've tried sending PCM, DD, and DD+. The native Netflix app will not display the 5.1 logo on any show.
post #389 of 890 Old 09-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Is this is an issue with most TV?
No, certainly not to the extend we were experiencing with the H9F. Game mode usually turns off a bunch of post processing features but it should't make the picture less sharp and bland looking.
theboomr likes this.
post #390 of 890 Old 09-13-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I decided to go with the Hisense as I have been without a tv for a month and a half, and was waiting for the TCL series 6 2019 to be released but decided why wait when the Hisense could be just as good if not better. Ordered the 55H9f yesterday from BB, due to not available at Amazon. Today delivery guys took it out of the box (looked fine) and powered it up but then could see left edge of screen was misaligned with the frame and the whole top side of picture was messed up. So they boxed it back up and back to waiting for a re-delivery. Grrr...
tomanystraydogs and theboomr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , h9f bootloop , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page