Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 354Likes

post #61 of 1148 Old 08-04-2019, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I received my Canadian Q9 version of this TV a couple days ago and it is simply stunning!

I've been tinkering with display settings this evening, and found the setting in the previous thread to be almost perfect other then the brightness. At 28, my blacks were completely crushed and everything was far too dark. After using a variety of test patterns, I found 45-48 to be the sweet spot for my panel, with 48 being what I ended with to insure none of my gradients were clipping or melding into eachother.

I may continue to play with it further; however, the results on SD, HD, and 4K are right where I want them. 45 was far too dark for Dolby Vision content, and again I found 48 to be right where I wanted it to be.

Motion rate was great 50% of the time; however, I've opted to turn it off entirely as some content (Mainly YouTube videos) came off as a little unnatural.

I should have a video of the panel on my YouTube channel in the coming weeks with a general review, with more content coming in the future with other hardware features across various inputs and sources.

At $1600ish CAD for the 65", this TV is a no brainer!
theboomr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1148 Old 08-05-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Any owners have a chance to compare the H9F to the Sony 900F prior to purchase and, if so, what did you think? In short, is the Sony really worth the extra bucks for the person who will be using the display in a well-lit, historically-typical "TV room"?

Thanks.
theboomr likes this.
post #63 of 1148 Old 08-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciteuthes View Post
Hi, I've read about an issue, in which not all Android apps in the Google Play store are available for installing on the H9F.
Do any of you know about this?
Also, I'd be using the tv as a pc monitor quite a bit. I want to make sure there aren't any issues with loss of the pc signal to the tv, after sleep or after switching between pc and tv inputs.
A buddy of mine has the Hisense H8F and he uses his TV ALL THE TIME as an PC monitor and it never gave him any troubles. The only time he complains was the actual TV OS that could be slow at times but besides the he loves it and that TV is a lower tier unit compare to the H9F model.
arciteuthes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1148 Old 08-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hi, I've read about an issue, in which not all Android apps in the Google Play store are available for installing on the H9F.
Do any of you know about this?
This is not a Hisense-specific issue. Only AndroidTV-compatible apps will show up in the AndroidTV Play Store, regardless of the TV (or STB) brand.
arciteuthes likes this.
post #65 of 1148 Old 08-05-2019, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithpuppet View Post
This is not a Hisense-specific issue. Only AndroidTV-compatible apps will show up in the AndroidTV Play Store, regardless of the TV (or STB) brand.
I think they might be referring to the fact that Amazon Prime Video still isn't available on Hisense? Not sure if that's still the case but it was an issue recently, where Prime Video finally supposedly became "available" on Android TVs but most Android TVs still didn't actually show it as available.
post #66 of 1148 Old 08-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
I think they might be referring to the fact that Amazon Prime Video still isn't available on Hisense? Not sure if that's still the case but it was an issue recently, where Prime Video finally supposedly became "available" on Android TVs but most Android TVs still didn't actually show it as available.
The VPN service I subscribe to, Private Internet Access, has an Android app available from the Google Play store. I'm concerned it won't be compatible with an Android tv, such as the H9F. I would also want to run Kodi with MLB.tv add-on.
post #67 of 1148 Old 08-05-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The VPN service I subscribe to, Private Internet Access, has an Android app available from the Google Play store. I'm concerned it won't be compatible with an Android tv, such as the H9F. I would also want to run Kodi with MLB.tv add-on.
Ah my bad. No idea about PIA on Android TV, but I'm sure Kodi would be sideloadable at the very least, if it doesn't show up in the Play store officially.
post #68 of 1148 Old 08-05-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Kodi is there, I have it on my h9f version 18.3
theboomr and arciteuthes like this.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #69 of 1148 Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I was gonna say he could just sideload it, but funnily enough, my TV received a system update this morning and now Amazon Prime Video is on the Favorite Apps ribbon. The bad news is the update seems to have reset the fave apps ribbon...
theboomr likes this.
post #70 of 1148 Old 08-06-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
You can easily check app/device compatibility on the Play store by logging into it on your browser (PC/Mac). Each app will show you its compatibility with whatever devices you have registered to Play. Click on the item highlighted in the attached pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comp.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	2599302  
theboomr and arciteuthes like this.
post #71 of 1148 Old 08-06-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
You can easily check app/device compatibility on the Play store by logging into it on your browser (PC/Mac). Each app will show you its compatibility with whatever devices you have registered to Play. Click on the item highlighted in the attached pic.
Thanks, that's helpful, but I don't own any smart devices yet, Android or otherwise.. Still using an LG tv from 2010..No smart phones or anything else.
post #72 of 1148 Old 08-06-2019, 08:21 AM

Talking

Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful, but I don't own any smart devices yet, Android or otherwise.. Still using an LG tv from 2010..No smart phones or anything else.
Should make the compatibility check quite quick-n-easy then!
aaronwt likes this.
post #73 of 1148 Old 08-06-2019, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
This TV is really only for the intelligent and beautiful people. Very exclusive, out of stock everywhere.
gibson61 likes this.
post #74 of 1148 Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 PM

Testing out the HDR tonight on this TV for gaming. I snapped a picture without and then with HDR enabled in AC Odyssey with HDR set to 1000nits. Pretty drastic results if you ask me. This is also with the panel set in its native HDR Gaming profile to help reduce input lag. Both photos had locked exposure, focus, WB, and everything else that may manipulate the results. Game is running on a PS4 Pro.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190806_234150_1565146074937.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2599906  
squad22345 and theboomr like this.
post #75 of 1148 Old 08-06-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwazyd0gg View Post
Testing out the HDR tonight on this TV for gaming. I snapped a picture without and then with HDR enabled in AC Odyssey with HDR set to 1000nits. Pretty drastic results if you ask me. This is also with the panel set in its native HDR Gaming profile to help reduce input lag. Both photos had locked exposure, focus, WB, and everything else that may manipulate the results. Game is running on a PS4 Pro.
This is the before as I can't seem to add 2 photos to one post on mobile.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190806_234217_1565146446260.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	938.0 KB
ID:	2599908  
squad22345 and theboomr like this.
post #76 of 1148 Old 08-06-2019, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Quote:
Wow looks really good. Mine is coming soon around 7 days. So HDR looks awesome then? How are the blacks? Is the vignetting bad? Some complained about that but thats typical FALD anyway. Thanks for the info
post #77 of 1148 Old 08-06-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Wow looks really good. Mine is coming soon around 7 days. So HDR looks awesome then? How are the blacks? Is the vignetting bad? Some complained about that but thats typical FALD anyway. Thanks for the info
Blacks are crispy dark. I haven't noticed much if any vignetting from the content I've watched so far. I really noticed the black levels today when I was testing AC Odyssey as the intro screen has a ton of ultra black shadows. What should have been black, was jet black. This was with FALD set to high and all dynamic settings turned off.

I've started recording some content around this TV today, and I should have some edited and online in the next few days. This will be a general review/overview, HDR vs Dolby Vision comparison, Motion Blur testing on all settings, and HDR on/off for a couple of games. Anything else you might want to see in the playlist?
theboomr likes this.
post #78 of 1148 Old 08-07-2019, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 110
55” Inch where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?
gibson61 likes this.
post #79 of 1148 Old 08-07-2019, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Is this Hisense better than the Vizio m55 8 . I see the Vizio in stock most places but no sign of the Hisense. I had great luck with Vizio TV's and seems they have decent QC.
post #80 of 1148 Old 08-07-2019, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson61 View Post
Is this Hisense better than the Vizio m55 8 . I see the Vizio in stock most places but no sign of the Hisense. I had great luck with Vizio TV's and seems they have decent QC.
Yes, much better if you go by the reviews here and elsewhere. It appears Best Buy has restocked the 65 inch unit online.
post #81 of 1148 Old 08-07-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Blacks are crispy dark. I haven't noticed much if any vignetting from the content I've watched so far. I really noticed the black levels today when I was testing AC Odyssey as the intro screen has a ton of ultra black shadows. What should have been black, was jet black. This was with FALD set to high and all dynamic settings turned off.

I've started recording some content around this TV today, and I should have some edited and online in the next few days. This will be a general review/overview, HDR vs Dolby Vision comparison, Motion Blur testing on all settings, and HDR on/off for a couple of games. Anything else you might want to see in the playlist?
Sounds good man. Appreciate it. That's good to hear so far. If you can let us know how the upscaling is that would be great as well. I know 4ktv have pretty good upscaling so I dont really see that being an issue. Anyway your review would be great. Thx
post #82 of 1148 Old 08-07-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarmanxj8 View Post
Yes, much better if you go by the reviews here and elsewhere. It appears Best Buy has restocked the 65 inch unit online.

Thanks But I need the 55in. Maybe before football starts they will get them stocked .
post #83 of 1148 Old 08-07-2019, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Ah my bad. No idea about PIA on Android TV, but I'm sure Kodi would be sideloadable at the very least, if it doesn't show up in the Play store officially.
Kodi will always be on the Play Store. People should also try Nova Video Player. It's like Kodi but with a native Android TV UI.

Quote:
I was gonna say he could just sideload it, but funnily enough, my TV received a system update this morning and now Amazon Prime Video is on the Favorite Apps ribbon. The bad news is the update seems to have reset the fave apps ribbon...
As expected, there's zero information about their updates on the support page.

https://www.hisense-usa.com/support/...t-tv-64-5-diag

Last edited by Diocletian; 08-07-2019 at 08:09 PM.
post #84 of 1148 Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner89 View Post
Is this a good TV or just a good TV "for the price." I have the Sony x950g and I have a week left in the return window and I'm honestly considering getting this instead (if I can find it). The picture quality of the Sony is amazing but the blooming and light bleed is just too crazy to ignore and HDR content looks like SDR. How's the picture quality and upscaling on the Hisense? Is it worth trading in the Sony or is the Sony just another league of TV despite it's shortcomings? How are the black levels and is there any blooming with the Hisense?
The H9F is a better TV than the Vizio M or P or X, period. Yes the Quantum X has better control of blooming but at what cost? Blacks appear lifted and not as deep as the H9F, and colors less vivid. The H9F reminds me of last year's Samsung Q8FN. This set can easily compete with this year's Q80R or Q70R. That FOMO on tech youtube reviewer already did the motion review, and it beat out the Vizio; he's going to drop his H9F picture quality review this week and I think he'll be comparing its image quality directly to the Q90R and A9G as well.

But it seems that if you are concerned about blooming, only the Samsung Q90R (and last year's Q9FN/Q8FN) or any OLED for that matter is better than the X950g in that regard. Look into the LG C8 if you don't care about gaming or bright room performance.

Last edited by 8KCRT; 08-07-2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: additional comments
post #85 of 1148 Old 08-07-2019, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Agreed. Just finished playing some AC Odyssey as well in HDR, and I am impressed, seriously. I honestly think Hisense is selling this TV at cost to get market share because there's no way it should be going for $900 when the TCL and Vizio models are similarly priced but way inferior.
post #86 of 1148 Old 08-08-2019, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
Agreed. Just finished playing some AC Odyssey as well in HDR, and I am impressed, seriously. I honestly think Hisense is selling this TV at cost to get market share because there's no way it should be going for $900 when the TCL and Vizio models are similarly priced but way inferior.
Well the TCL 65" R615 is actually significantly cheaper currently...
post #87 of 1148 Old 08-08-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
As expected, there's zero information about their updates on the support page.

https://www.hisense-usa.com/support/...t-tv-64-5-diag
I doubt Hisense would ever put up any system update info. I read on some other board that apparently an H8F system update was also pushed out and there's no info about that either.
post #88 of 1148 Old 08-08-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
The H9F is a better TV than the Vizio M or P or X, period.
Why don't we wait for the actual, instrumented, reviews before making broad sweeping statements about what is, and isn't, definitively better, shall we?

Early access testing data is up at RTings, and I'll just say it doesn't support your assertion.
post #89 of 1148 Old 08-08-2019, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
Why don't we wait for the actual, instrumented, reviews before making broad sweeping statements about what is, and isn't, definitively better, shall we?

Early access testing data is up at RTings, and I'll just say it doesn't support your assertion.
Link? Vizio always does great on contrast measurements but I think most folks put way too much weight in that large block static number.
post #90 of 1148 Old 08-08-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Came here to say I got the 55 in yesterday. And this thing is AWESOME
theboomr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , h9f bootloop , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex