Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 379Likes

post #931 of 1330 Old 11-19-2019, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
That's a really bizarre issue...and videos don't play 15% too fast when you just play them on the laptop's own screen? I've never heard of anything like that.
The videos play normally on the laptops, when I drag the video to the tv it speeds up, drag it back, it goes back back to normal. I tried a bunch of other players, even the built in one plays the videos fast. I've found nothing like this anywhere on the internet. Maybe it's the hdmi cable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1330 Old 11-19-2019, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
Stop using HDMI. Set up a simple DLNA server on your computer to stream your movies to VLC on the TV via your router.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will explore this option.
post #933 of 1330 Old 11-19-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Dalglish View Post
Are dirty screen issues a big problem on the h9f? Is this the one of the biggest possible problems to check out within my 30 day return period? How bad is bad?

Second question is are there ways to improve black level details? Im considering the h9f or tcl r625. Hisense’s motion capability seems to give it the edge but I don’t want to miss out on black details too much either.
Don't do any kind of tests because you will never get a perfect tv and if you see something little that's wrong you won't be satisfied and you will keep returning TV's. Best is if it looks good during normal content then the tv is fine.
D Bone, EdT586, Lp85253 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1330 Old 11-19-2019, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Don't do any kind of tests because you will never get a perfect tv and if you see something little that's wrong you won't be satisfied and you will keep returning TV's. Best is if it looks good during normal content then the tv is fine.

Funny how no one talks about dead pixels these days on these humongous LCD panels ...probably because there isn't any that is how good the manufacturing process of LCDs has become. I remember even as recent as 2010 there would be dead pixels galore on a 20" LCD PC monitors ! ...LoL

TCL 4 Series 50" / 6 Series 65"
post #935 of 1330 Old 11-19-2019, 09:16 PM
QFT

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I really love the way this TV looks but I'm about to put my f'n fist through it if I have to suffer through another month of its awful, awful, AWFUL interface

It's straight up broken. There's a 50/50 shot that it'll work properly and be fairly responsive when I try to turn it on and use it. It's a constant parade of nonresponsive buttons, unresponsive menus, and random volume display popups. It's REALLY annoying when I just want to turn it on and watch TV, and instead I have to press the power button 3 times, then the menus won't respond for another 20 seconds, then they'll overcompensate by suddenly processing all of the button presses at once. That's the predictable issue, usually followed by the quirky "roll of the dice, unusual issues". I'm out of the return period. I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

If I could lobotomize the "smart" out of this thing to keep the picture, but make it function like my 12 old TV that it's replacing, I would in a second.

Edit: disabling Alexa in the TV's settings menu has mostly resolved these issues! Interface is still occasionally sluggish and there's other issues like flaky bluetooth but it's much improved. I had previously set up the Alexa integration, but it almost never worked ("provider not responding" 90% of the time)

Last edited by QFT; 11-22-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #936 of 1330 Old 11-19-2019, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by QFT View Post
I really love the way this TV looks but I'm about to put my f'n fist through it if I have to suffer through another month of its awful, awful, AWFUL interface

It's straight up broken. There's a 50/50 shot that it'll work properly and be fairly responsive when I try to turn it on and use it. It's a constant parade of nonresponsive buttons, unresponsive menus, and random volume display popups. It's REALLY annoying when I just want to turn it on and watch TV, and instead I have to press the power button 3 times, then the menus won't respond for another 20 seconds, then they'll overcompensate by suddenly processing all of the button presses at once. That's the predictable issue, usually followed by the quirky "roll of the dice, unusual issues". I'm out of the return period. I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

If I could lobotomize the "smart" out of this thing to keep the picture, but make it function like my 12 old TV that it's replacing, I would in a second.
Get a Sheild tv. You will be amazed at how great Android TV is. Problem with a budget tv is it's usually too underpowered to run the os

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Lp85253 likes this.
post #937 of 1330 Old 11-19-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

I think the interface is pretty responsive overall. The voice control works great....a little slow but not too bad. I have 250mbps internet. Maybe its your internet ?
post #938 of 1330 Old 11-19-2019, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Barros View Post
Problem with a budget tv is it's usually too underpowered to run the os.
Yup, it's clunky when playing content. I hit pause if I want to adjust something.
post #939 of 1330 Old 11-19-2019, 11:55 PM
QFT

Update: not an hour after my little bitchfest about the OS/responsiveness issues, I fixed them. Disabling Alexa in the TV's settings menu has seemingly resolved all of the issues. It's pretty fast and snappy now and doesn't have the problems I was complaining about. That integration was broken anyway - 90% of all commands resulted in "provider is not responding". I don't miss it much, aside from the one thing that did usually work - a "bedtime" voice routine which powered the TV off.

OK, now I'm happy. Hisense, I'd be even happier if you could fix the broken Alexa integration.
Lp85253 likes this.
post #940 of 1330 Old 11-19-2019, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Update: not an hour after my little bitchfest about the OS/responsiveness issues, I fixed them. Disabling Alexa in the TV's settings menu has seemingly resolved all of the issues. It's pretty fast and snappy now and doesn't have the problems I was complaining about. That integration was broken anyway - 90% of all commands resulted in "provider is not responding". I don't miss it much, aside from the one thing that did usually work - a "bedtime" voice routine which powered the TV off.

OK, now I'm happy. Hisense, I'd be even happier if you could fix the broken Alexa integration.
Interesting find there, though I never enabled alexa integration and had slow/inconsistent experience with the ui
post #941 of 1330 Old 11-20-2019, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Glad you got it sorted out. Never turned that on. I mostly use my Fire Stick 4K because it works with my Echo Dot, which works with my Ring security system.

'Alexa, show barn cam' and it pops up in 55" of quantum dot glory

Last edited by tomanystraydogs; 11-20-2019 at 12:15 AM.
post #942 of 1330 Old 11-20-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I have had some issues with slow menu response and i find that when that is going on that a system restart usually does the trick.

hold power button for about 3 secs and then choose restart tv from the popup menu
give it about 30 secs for reboot btw
post #943 of 1330 Old 11-20-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Edit: disabling Alexa in the TV's settings menu has mostly resolved these issues!
I've never seen a default OS/CPU that I loved on a TV. I use Apple TV or Firestick 4K on all my sets.
post #944 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdT586 View Post
Funny how no one talks about dead pixels these days on these humongous LCD panels ...probably because there isn't any that is how good the manufacturing process of LCDs has become. I remember even as recent as 2010 there would be dead pixels galore on a 20" LCD PC monitors ! ...LoL
Well my first 4K TV back in 2013 had a ton of dead pixels. At first I thought it was just a few but after taking pics with macro lens realized it was actually clusters of dead pixels because of how densely packed pixels are on a 4K display compared to the 1080p I was used to! Having said that was surprised and happy that I haven't seen any dead pixels on recent 4K TV's I bought last few years maybe I haven't really looked close enough since too busy looking for other defects i.e. chroma 4:4:4, DSE I've been reading people complain about on here
EdT586 likes this.
post #945 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Agree. Still looking for DSE on my panels and went to trouble of making some pure color png in paint to test, etc.. then thought to myself if I have to go to all this trouble to even spot it in first place is it even really a problem? Whole point of DSE is making watching sports annoying from what I understand and I watched plenty of sports soccer, golf, football, etc.. and never noticed anything wrong and looked fine and great to me so didn't bother looking for it anymore and just enjoyed watching more great stuff on said TV
post #946 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondpluto View Post
I've never seen a default OS/CPU that I loved on a TV. I use Apple TV or Firestick 4K on all my sets.
Ditto!
Though it does make you question why not save money by not buying a smart tv in first place though I do make plenty of use of the OTA tuner on my TV and it's usually fast, responsive, and looks great unlike the smart tv interface!
Lp85253 likes this.
post #947 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked: 1883
Quote:

Edit: disabling Alexa in the TV's settings menu has mostly resolved these issues!
get a 4k firestick when they go on bf sale sunday..if you need android grt the mi box from walmart.. but the upgrade will be noticeable with either .. the firestick will probably be about $34 .. the mibox about $60.. tv os's just don't cut it for hobbyists ...

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #948 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can anyone give any input on EOTF tracking and Game Mode for this TV? Last I heard the EOTF tracking in HDR Theater mode was very inaccurate, and HDR Game mode was noticeably dimmer and washed out compared to other modes. Really considering this TV but I am worried about those 2 issues.
post #949 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 09:51 AM
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
get a 4k firestick when they go on bf sale sunday..if you need android grt the mi box from walmart.. but the upgrade will be noticeable with either .. the firestick will probably be about $34 .. the mibox about $60.. tv os's just don't cut it for hobbyists ...
I have a firestick 4k. The issues I mentioned (though mostly fixed by disabling Alexa on the TV) wouldn't even let me use the firestick effectively. Sometimes the TV would fail to turn on. Others, it would turn on but fail to pass any signal through the inputs. You get the idea. It rendered the TV unusable.

I still am irritated at its occasionally sluggish interface and flaky bluetooth-to-headphone issues but it's better now.
post #950 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can anyone give any input on EOTF tracking and Game Mode for this TV? Last I heard the EOTF tracking in HDR Theater mode was very inaccurate, and HDR Game mode was noticeably dimmer and washed out compared to other modes. Really considering this TV but I am worried about those 2 issues.
post #951 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked: 1883
Quote:
I have a firestick 4k. The issues I mentioned (though mostly fixed by disabling Alexa on the TV) wouldn't even let me use the firestick effectively. Sometimes the TV would fail to turn on. Others, it would turn on but fail to pass any signal through the inputs. You get the idea. It rendered the TV unusable.

I still am irritated at its occasionally sluggish interface and flaky bluetooth-to-headphone issues but it's better now.
i'm just guessing here but i think disabling alexa (and anything else you can on the tv os that is voice activated) is your best bet.. so you probably have done well so far..sorry that i missed the fact you have the firestick ..maybe disable arc and see if that clears up any more issues..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #952 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviangel View Post
Ditto!
Though it does make you question why not save money by not buying a smart tv in first place though I do make plenty of use of the OTA tuner on my TV and it's usually fast, responsive, and looks great unlike the smart tv interface!
How many dumb TVs are even on the market today in the 65" class? Not many and likely still wouldn't save money over an H9F on an image quality basis since the cost of adding a smart TV functionality is negligible, especially for a free OS like Android. Likewise, I've also never used the built-in speakers of any TV I purchased in last 15 years, but I just accept that I'll be paying for cheap, built-in speakers, otherwise my options are pretty much computer monitors or specialized, commercial displays.

Last edited by beyondpluto; 11-21-2019 at 10:35 AM.
post #953 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Putting together a list of things that should be fixed on the H9F. Contributions welcome.

Fix local dimming. Low, medium and high are all the same.

Fix warm color temp white balance shift.

Fix Dolby Vision motion settings. Currently DV Bright and Custom allow us to adjust motion, but the various settings don't appear to change. Either disable them or let us change them.

Fix Alexa integration.
post #954 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 01:38 PM
QFT

- Fix Bluetooth audio (lags behind my FireStick's HBO video, sometimes pushes audio through wrong device, or both arc + bluetooth when it shouldn't)
- Fix HDMI/USB control (the remote will sometimes control my FireStick 4k, sometimes it won't)

Last edited by QFT; 11-22-2019 at 09:28 AM.
post #955 of 1330 Old 11-21-2019, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Not really a fix, but I would love if the audio out selection would include Optical Out audio out, and disable internal TV speakers.
post #956 of 1330 Old 11-22-2019, 03:02 PM
QFT

Anyone have a good universal remote to recommend with this TV? I'll need it to control the H9F, my XFinity cable box, an XB1, and a fire stick. Something with smart home integration, that can run routines would be ideal. Maybe a Harmony with a hub?
post #957 of 1330 Old 11-22-2019, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Anyone have a good universal remote to recommend with this TV? I'll need it to control the H9F, my XFinity cable box, an XB1, and a fire stick. Something with smart home integration, that can run routines would be ideal. Maybe a Harmony with a hub?
Yeah a Harmony hub is probably your best bet, although I don't own myself (yet).
post #958 of 1330 Old 11-23-2019, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What do I do to adjust hdr white clipping using the calibration pattern?
post #959 of 1330 Old 11-23-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Dalglish View Post
What do I do to adjust hdr white clipping using the calibration pattern?
Change contrast.
post #960 of 1330 Old 11-23-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I went to go mount my 65" H9F and I noticed a ridge at the bottom. So I'm not sure how to use a mount with those straight vertical bars, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Tilting...4551263&sr=8-3

Does anyone have any experience in mounting this TV? I have no clue what to use because of that bump-out at the bottom of the back of the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , h9f bootloop , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page