Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 348Likes

post #1021 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post
Pre J1008 I was second guessing myself, bad banding and gradients were such a distraction.

With J1008 and getting grayscale right, now I'm just enjoying it.

Now where I do I get good greyscale settings from ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 07:56 AM

Liked: 1
Everywhere I look online everyone is saying how great the picture quality on the H9F is. I just got mine home last night and set it up, my picture is grainy and the motion is horrible. I have found a few guides online to optimal settings, but they don't really get any better. It happens with Dolby Vision 4k video on Netflix, regular HD on Netflix and just watching cable as well. Is anyone else experiencing unacceptable, unwatchable picture quality? It almost looks like everything is out of focus. When people talk their mouths are just a blur, nothing seems to be crisp. I'm not sure if I should call Hisense, replace it with a different unit or just return the thing. Any input would be appreciated.
post #1023 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaintReality View Post
Anyone know if the H9F will play MKV files off the USB 3.0 drive?

Hoping to pick up a burner and copy all my 4k UHD movies over to a flash drive to transfer between TV's to eliminate the need for several 4k blu-ray players in each room.
Sounds like to need to set up a media server and use plex or similar setup. I haven't had a blu ray player in any room for years now.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1024 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeland79 View Post
Everywhere I look online everyone is saying how great the picture quality on the H9F is. I just got mine home last night and set it up, my picture is grainy and the motion is horrible. I have found a few guides online to optimal settings, but they don't really get any better. It happens with Dolby Vision 4k video on Netflix, regular HD on Netflix and just watching cable as well. Is anyone else experiencing unacceptable, unwatchable picture quality? It almost looks like everything is out of focus. When people talk their mouths are just a blur, nothing seems to be crisp. I'm not sure if I should call Hisense, replace it with a different unit or just return the thing. Any input would be appreciated.
Nope, mine looks really good.

What firmware you on?
post #1025 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Random question - when streaming either through the apps installed or via the built in Chromecast, do they always pick up the best available quality provided by the service? Is it worth getting a 4k Chromecast Ultra for example? Not sure the quality that comes through in the apps. For example, does Prime come through in 4k when possible? Does it matter if I use the app or chromecast feature for Netflix 4k?
post #1026 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaintReality View Post
Anyone know if the H9F will play MKV files off the USB 3.0 drive?

Hoping to pick up a burner and copy all my 4k UHD movies over to a flash drive to transfer between TV's to eliminate the need for several 4k blu-ray players in each room.
Sounds like to need to set up a media server and use plex or similar setup. I haven't had a blu ray player in any room for years now.
I actually stumbled across that exact setup last night and am looking more into it as we speak.

Thanks for the suggestion
post #1027 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Nope, mine looks really good.

What firmware you on?
Not sure. On initial setup, I connected to wifi and it did 2 updates before I started using it. After experiencing these picture quality issues I factory reset the tv and haven't updated it again but still experiencing the same issues. Could the firmware really be causing a blurry picture?
post #1028 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.farnham.5 View Post
If you have a blu-ray player something like Spears and Munsil would be great.

If you are like me and gave yours to your dad so he could watch the entire Breaking Bad collection you bought him, youtube has some.

Standard

HDR blacks

HDR whites
post #1029 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeland79 View Post
Not sure. On initial setup, I connected to wifi and it did 2 updates before I started using it. After experiencing these picture quality issues I factory reset the tv and haven't updated it again but still experiencing the same issues. Could the firmware really be causing a blurry picture?
Firmware:
Menu / Help / System message

Update:
Menu / Settings / About

J1008 made big improvements to PQ plus it added Amazon Prime.

I only stream, few times the PQ has looked yucky was when my connection was bad.

You could have gotten a bad panel, sucks but it happens.
post #1030 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Firmware:
Menu / Help / System message

Update:
Menu / Settings / About

J1008 made big improvements to PQ plus it added Amazon Prime.

I only stream, few times the PQ has looked yucky was when my connection was bad.

You could have gotten a bad panel, sucks but it happens.
When I get home tonight I'll update and make sure I have J1008 if it doesn't help, I'll try and return it for a better unit. Thanks.
tomanystraydogs likes this.
post #1031 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I am curious, where did you guys buy this TV? I am in CT looking for the 55" H9F and it was available last week before all the sales, now NO ONE has it, not even amazon, bestbuy, pc richards, etc.
johnny dollar likes this.
post #1032 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Some of the pics of the rear of the tv online only show 2 mounting holes for some reason, rtings shows a good pic of the mounting holes 400mmx200mm.

Its curious everyone talking about how this tv is hard to come by and the unit I just got last week has a build date of April 2019. One would think it would be a more recent build.

I too was considering getting an Amazon fire 4k or chromecast or Roku. Any advantage getting a streaming device versus using the built in smart features? Aside from the sluggishness of the hisense.

Can someone recommend a 4K bluray player for my 55H9F please???
I cant afford the best but hoping to find a good one, possibly today or very soon

\m/ Strength Determination Merciless Forever \m/
Yamaha RX-V3800 /Sony BDP-S790
Klipsch Legend series speakers (5) & Klipsch Dual THX Ultra II Subwoofers w/ ext Klipsch Subwoofer Amp
HISENSE 55H9F / Custom Built CaseLabs watercooled PC

Last edited by sdmf74; 12-02-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #1033 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaucemasta View Post
Random question - when streaming either through the apps installed or via the built in Chromecast, do they always pick up the best available quality provided by the service? Is it worth getting a 4k Chromecast Ultra for example? Not sure the quality that comes through in the apps. For example, does Prime come through in 4k when possible? Does it matter if I use the app or chromecast feature for Netflix 4k?
From my experience with Prime and Vudu, the built-in apps will play the best picture possible, but it all depends on the content you select. If you select the non-4K version of Jack Ryan on Prime, well, it will only play the HD/1080P version of it. If you select the 4K version of Jack Ryan, but your bandwidth isn't high enough to stream 4K, it will downgrade it to HD or whatever quality your bandwidth can handle.
post #1034 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf74 View Post
I too was considering getting an Amazon fire 4k or chromecast or Roku. Any advantage getting a streaming device versus using the built in smart features? Aside from the sluggishness of the hisense.
I had to get the Firestsick 4K. I have a Denon X6400 AVR, but it's on the otherside of the room in a media cabinet, and when I ran the fiber HDMI lines, the ones I got said they supported ARC, but they didn't. I also ran a optical via CAT6 line, but I don't like the Hisenses TV audio settings. Basically, it will not output sound via optical while it is in ARC/HDMI mode, only TV speaker mode. But then I lose the ability to turn off the TV/AVR with HDMI CEC.

The one advantage if using the built-in apps is that it has Vudu which can play Dolby Vision movies if you own any in your library. If you play them from Prime or Movies Anywhere, they come through as UltraHD only.

Quote:
Amazon has the Sony X800M2 on sale currently, HDR10 and DV only, but it's a solid player for the price.
post #1035 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondey99 View Post
All i picked up the 55" H9f. Are there any caveats or things I should know? I have not calibrated it yet. Could someone point me to a place for the best settings to use other than RTings? Thank you.
Where did you buy it might I ask? Its sold out everywhere in my area.
post #1036 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I ordered mine on the bestbuy website last week.

Happy Hunting.

IMHO this tv is worth it.

Thank you, Quauntum and FOMO

Sorry I am a terrible pic taker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1400[1].jpg
Views:	39
Size:	724.8 KB
ID:	2648510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1374[1].jpg
Views:	36
Size:	747.4 KB
ID:	2648512  
post #1037 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Happy Hunting.

Hey. Just so you know in that first pic you're only displaying 1080p. I have the same problem with the 4k fire stick and have no idea why. I use the native apps on the TV and everything works perfectly! Love this TV so much! If anyone can find a solution to using the 4k fire stick in actual 4k it'd be greatly appreciated. I hate having only Dolby Digital+ through ARC.
post #1038 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 01:36 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Some of the pics of the rear of the tv online only show 2 mounting holes for some reason, rtings shows a good pic of the mounting holes 400mmx200mm.

Its curious everyone talking about how this tv is hard to come by and the unit I just got last week has a build date of April 2019. One would think it would be a more recent build.

I cant afford the best but hoping to find a good one, possibly today or very soon
Bought my 65H9F from BB Aug 14 2019. It has a April 4 2019 build date. Interesting.
post #1039 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 01:53 PM

Guess I will wait, I was on the fence with this and the TCL R613 from Costco. I had good experiences with TCL in the past but I wanted a TV that was great for gaming since I will be hooking this up to my gaming PC.

Anyone use it for something similar and had an experience to share?
post #1040 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EjwiggMan View Post
Bought my 65H9F from BB Aug 14 2019. It has a April 4 2019 build date. Interesting.
When were they first available, August? That was a slow boat from China.

Got my 55" from Amazon the first week of September. Build date is 6/26/19.
post #1041 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnowsaying View Post
Hey. Just so you know in that first pic you're only displaying 1080p.
In case some are not aware, 4K streaming starts as 1080p then ramps up. Just depends on your connection.

Make sure your Firestick 4K settings are correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191108_201719.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2648542  
post #1042 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
Is there a way to downvote a comment? I picked up the H9F again at the Black Friday price, giving it a second chance after returning the first. I'm still not sure why more people aren't complaining about the vignetting and yellowing. This one has the same deep yellowing and dark corners. Aside from that, I agree the motion handling is good for its price, and colors, although saturated look good, aside from the discoloration from the vignetting, and the cloudiness. The blooming is also pretty bad against black or dark backgrounds. The software is awful, and the remote requires absolute direct line of sight.
I'm keeping this one, but it's by far not "bad ass." It's "I guess I'll keep it." It's not going for the prices you listed, believe me. It may be listed at those prices, but no one's stupid enough to pay that much for this tv.
Just curious, what other tv's have you had that were perfect? When do you see this yellowing, are you trying to find problems? All led's have some dark corners.
What problems are you having with the software? What led's don't have any dse? Get this tv dialed in with some good settings, and it will go up against any tv out there. It will hang with the 950g and q80 all day. Those tv's do some things better, but all around and for the price, not even close.
post #1043 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Happy Hunting.

No doubt, a picture doesn't lie!! What settings are you using? I'm using Quantum's latest.
post #1044 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnowsaying View Post
Hey. Just so you know in that first pic you're only displaying 1080p. I have the same problem with the 4k fire stick and have no idea why. I use the native apps on the TV and everything works perfectly! Love this TV so much! If anyone can find a solution to using the 4k fire stick in actual 4k it'd be greatly appreciated. I hate having only Dolby Digital+ through ARC.
The pic of Loki is from Disney plus which does say it's 4km hmmm. Now I have to put it on again and see of says hd when if i pause it. I know saw dolby vision pop up in upper right hand corner. I'll update later of the results.
post #1045 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa33 View Post
No doubt, a picture doesn't lie!! What settings are you using? I'm using Quantum's latest.

Your going to laugh, that is right out of the box and I did an update as well.
post #1046 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntmatterz View Post
I am curious, where did you guys buy this TV? I am in CT looking for the 55" H9F and it was available last week before all the sales, now NO ONE has it, not even amazon, bestbuy, pc richards, etc.
Best buy online free shipping ordered on a Thursday got it Saturday.
post #1047 of 1118 Old 12-02-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa33 View Post
Just curious, what other tv's have you had that were perfect? When do you see this yellowing, are you trying to find problems? All led's have some dark corners.
What problems are you having with the software? What led's don't have any dse? Get this tv dialed in with some good settings, and it will go up against any tv out there. It will hang with the 950g and q80 all day. Those tv's do some things better, but all around and for the price, not even close.

The yellowing isn't something that needs to be looked for, it stands out, and is very noticeable and distracting. If you don't see deep vignetting then congrats, but of the 2 I've had they both had this issue. You can even see it in the pictures from Rtings.
I don't think there are any settings that are going to get rid of that. The software side, streams freeze, apps lock up, reset, etc. And yes, I'm hardwired. I'm not looking for perfect at this price point, but I find it crazy that such a huge flaw to the picture is accepted. In any case, I've already said I'm keeping the set, but fanboys that ignore the flaws irritate me, which is why I responded.
post #1048 of 1118 Old 12-03-2019, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdsbigo View Post
Best buy online free shipping ordered on a Thursday got it Saturday.
Our local Best Buy’s have shown none in stock for the past few weeks, the website says shipping not available and the closest store that has one is 250 miles away!

yours truly, johnny dollar
post #1049 of 1118 Old 12-03-2019, 01:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.farnham.5 View Post
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Found an old post about settings, hth.

Latest firmware is J1008 as far as I know.

If you have a blu-ray with something like Spears and Munsil that would be best. I don't have a player so I'm stuck with youtube.

Get your grayscale set (contrast and brightness) for you environment.

SD/HD

HDR black clipping

HDR white clipping

Local dimming = low medium and high are all the same at this time.

Active contrast = low (others may crush blacks)

noise = off

Motion clearness = off (that's black frame insertion)

Motion settings: whatever looks good to you

Only color I messed with was red. Magnum P.I. did not look Ferrari red, it looked fuchsia. I dropped red brightness -4 to fix it, but yours may be different.

Good luck.
post #1050 of 1118 Old 12-03-2019, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
The yellowing isn't something that needs to be looked for, it stands out, and is very noticeable and distracting. If you don't see deep vignetting then congrats, but of the 2 I've had they both had this issue.
How does yours look compared to this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , h9f bootloop , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page