Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 379Likes

post #1051 of 1331 Old 12-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post
How does yours look compared to this?

Similar to the bottom portion, except all around the screen, and my top left corner is darker, which is probably more distracting than the yellowing.
I took a picture of my first set. The discoloration isn't due to lighting, and there weren't any shadows, that yellow tinge throughout is the panel. This current one is similar, except like I said, the corners are darker.
I should also note, it's less noticeable in the picture than it is in person.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H9F.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	2648842  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1331 Old 12-03-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by theagent View Post
Similar to the bottom portion, except all around the screen, and my top left corner is darker, which is probably more distracting than the yellowing.
Yeah that's worse than mine.

Always wondered why the variances in manufacturing the same tv, from calibration to issues like yours.
post #1053 of 1331 Old 12-03-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I took a picture of my first set. The discoloration isn't due to lighting, and there weren't any shadows, that yellow tinge throughout is the panel. This current one is similar, except like I said, the corners are darker.
I should also note, it's less noticeable in the picture than it is in person.

That’s much much worse than mine too. I would return it and get a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1331 Old 12-03-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Post Looking for sticky for H9F (Settings/Firmware/tips)

Is there a sticky somewhere for "Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread"

If not there should be with: Settings for SDR/HDR, Firmware version, FAQ.

This would help owners of the H9F instead filtering through all the comments in this forum.

I just got the 55H9F and do see some quirky things that I cannot just figure out. One is a vignette type appearance on white backgrounds, more noticeable when using my HTPC and browsing the web.
post #1055 of 1331 Old 12-03-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Titan View Post
Is there a sticky somewhere for "Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread"

If not there should be with: Settings for SDR/HDR, Firmware version, FAQ.

This would help owners of the H9F instead filtering through all the comments in this forum.

I just got the 55H9F and do see some quirky things that I cannot just figure out. One is a vignette type appearance on white backgrounds, more noticeable when using my HTPC and browsing the web.
Latest firmware is J1008 as far as I know.

If you have a blu-ray with something like Spears and Munsil that would be best. I don't have a player so I'm stuck with youtube.

Get your grayscale set (contrast and brightness) for you environment.

SD/HD

HDR black clipping

HDR white clipping

Local dimming = low medium and high are all the same at this time.

Active contrast = low (others may crush blacks)

noise = off

Motion clearness = off (that's black frame insertion)

Motion settings: whatever looks good to you

Only color I messed with was red. Magnum P.I. did not look Ferrari red, it looked fuchsia. I dropped red brightness -4 to fix it, but yours may be different.

Good luck.
post #1056 of 1331 Old 12-03-2019, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have the h9 series 65". I checked for firmware update and it says mine is current. J0430. Is this correct? I saw a post that says J1008 is the current firmware.
post #1057 of 1331 Old 12-03-2019, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post
I have the h9 series 65". I checked for firmware update and it says mine is current. J0430. Is this correct? I saw a post that says J1008 is the current firmware.
That's the original firmware, I wouldn't update.
post #1058 of 1331 Old 12-03-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.farnham.5 View Post
That’s much much worse than mine too. I would return it and get a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've already returned it, this is my 2nd set, which has the same issues, but I don't feel like playing the return or rma game, so just going to live with it.
post #1059 of 1331 Old 12-03-2019, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post
Hisense is really weird when it comes to updates. I was stuck on J0615 forever even though others had J1008. I tried update every day, always said I was up to date. Then one day it updated on it's own.

I'm 55". J1008 gave me Amazon Prime, fixed ARC and much improved gradients.
sixtytooneratio likes this.
post #1060 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
[QUOTE=gpa33;58904282]
Quote:
Is there a way to downvote a comment? I picked up the H9F again at the Black Friday price, giving it a second chance after returning the first. I'm still not sure why more people aren't complaining about the vignetting and yellowing. This one has the same deep yellowing and dark corners. Aside from that, I agree the motion handling is good for its price, and colors, although saturated look good, aside from the discoloration from the vignetting, and the cloudiness. The blooming is also pretty bad against black or dark backgrounds. The software is awful, and the remote requires absolute direct line of sight.
I'm keeping this one, but it's by far not "bad ass." It's "I guess I'll keep it." It's not going for the prices you listed, believe me. It may be listed at those prices, but no one's stupid enough to pay that much for this tv.
The line of site issue for the remote goes away once you actually pair the bluetooth remote (that came with your tv) to the tv.

I agree about the software it's a little flaky but improved somewhat in J1008, make sure you are updated. I bought a fire stick 4k for $25 on monday.

As far as the picture issues, you probably just got a couple bad ones, it's not unheard of especially in this price range. That would explain why we are "fanboys".
I was lucky, got a good one on first try but that's why they call it a panel lottery. Even when Asus released their PG279Q $800 2K monitor they had a VERY high percentage of unacceptable panels. Some people lost at least 3 times before they hit the jackpot. It sucks but thats what we are stuck with nowdays, garbage from China that lasts 1/5th of what it used to. I guess they are ok with the high amount of returns/swaps for the money they save in production & lack of quality control!
tomanystraydogs likes this.

\m/ Strength Determination Merciless Forever \m/
Yamaha RX-V3800 /Sony BDP-S790
Klipsch Legend series speakers (5) & Klipsch Dual THX Ultra II Subwoofers w/ ext Klipsch Subwoofer Amp
HISENSE 55H9F / Custom Built CaseLabs watercooled PC

Last edited by sdmf74; 12-04-2019 at 06:15 AM.
post #1061 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Guys, for those that waited, Best Buy has it in stock again for delivery (not in store pickup). I ordered mine just now and it arrives Dec 6.
tomanystraydogs likes this.
post #1062 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Is there a way to downvote a comment? I picked up the H9F again at the Black Friday price, giving it a second chance after returning the first. I'm still not sure why more people aren't complaining about the vignetting and yellowing. This one has the same deep yellowing and dark corners. Aside from that, I agree the motion handling is good for its price, and colors, although saturated look good, aside from the discoloration from the vignetting, and the cloudiness. The blooming is also pretty bad against black or dark backgrounds. The software is awful, and the remote requires absolute direct line of sight.
I'm keeping this one, but it's by far not "bad ass." It's "I guess I'll keep it." It's not going for the prices you listed, believe me. It may be listed at those prices, but no one's stupid enough to pay that much for this tv.
I've had the same experience. I bought it during Black Friday. It arrived yesterday. I'm going to try and return the set.

I have included an image of my issue. The bottom is the worse offender. In menus or any white screen I can see the DSE pretty badly. Probably because I look at the bottom of the screen the most.

I could live with the dark corners. I don't mind the blooming so much as I have yet to trigger the HDR function. Since I don't own any of the streaming services... Although I do see the blooming when the TV starts up. (Android logo and Hisense logo)

With all that said judging from rtings website. Some DSE and Banding is to be expected with LCD TVs it seems. I looked at all those images and I see some imperfections on all of them besides the OLEDs.

It really wouldn't bother me if it wasn't for that bottom piece. The blooming is improved on the latest firmware J1008 but it is still there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191204_012731.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	2649240  
post #1063 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 09:46 AM

Would it really matter to you guys, or notice it if you actually weren't looking for it? These forums make you psychologically aware of it then it becomes way more apparent. Every TV I ever brought has had some slight variations in vignette or blooming but not a lot. Only TV I ever brought without any problem was the Sony XBR.

I will receive mine 12/6 and I will check for this issue as well. Ill keep you guys posted.

FYI from everything I have read and seen, the issue seems more prevalent on the lower right hand corner.
post #1064 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've never looked at an all white screen before.

Just took this of mine.

I don't notice it when watching content.

55" J1008.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191204_101413a.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	721.7 KB
ID:	2649308  
post #1065 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 11:51 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:

Just took this of mine.

55" J1008.

With a picture like this, you might want to invest in a new phone not a TV...lol
post #1066 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Just took this of mine.

55" J1008.

This has been my take on DSE with every TV I purchased. I will check for it then see if I notice it when watching regular content if not then I'm ok with it. I have yet to see a LCD that doesn't have some DSE. I would rather have it on the edges than anywhere else on the screen because I watch a lot of movies, football, and play games.
post #1067 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 01:02 PM

That sucks, sorry
post #1068 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clone1008 View Post
With a picture like this, you might want to invest in a new phone not a TV...lol
Not the phone, I have essential tremors, makes it tough to get a clear shot.

Wish it was the phone, should would be easier to drink coffee
post #1069 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That sucks, sorry
No worries, does get frustrating at times.

The worst is getting pulled over and they think you are a crack head
post #1070 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Cable sports unwatchable

I just made the switch to the 65" H9F from a 50" Samsung 1080P unit. I primarily watch sports via cable tv. The picture looks beyond great when they pan in and show the players up close, but during normal play (NBA) the picture is almost unwatchable to me. Everything including the basketball is blurry. I did not notice any blur on my old 50" unit. I have tried all settings from Rtings and so on. I just cant get over the blur. Any recomendations? All 4K content, PC gaming, PS4 look outstanding.
post #1071 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Schrantz View Post
I just made the switch to the 65" H9F from a 50" Samsung 1080P unit. I primarily watch sports via cable tv. The picture looks beyond great when they pan in and show the players up close, but during normal play (NBA) the picture is almost unwatchable to me. Everything including the basketball is blurry. I did not notice any blur on my old 50" unit. I have tried all settings from Rtings and so on. I just cant get over the blur. Any recomendations? All 4K content, PC gaming, PS4 look outstanding.

I can only comment on the 2 that I bought last week. I was having the exact same issue until I properly calibrated my units with the right equipment. Using others settings will never get the right results on your particular TV.
Willy Schrantz likes this.
post #1072 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just made the switch to the 65" H9F from a 50" Samsung 1080P unit. I primarily watch sports via cable tv. The picture looks beyond great when they pan in and show the players up close, but during normal play (NBA) the picture is almost unwatchable to me. Everything including the basketball is blurry.
What firmware and motion settings you got?
post #1073 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Turn any motion enhancement off, don't need it with this tv. Could also be a bad signal on that station, a 65 inch will amplify it. The other tv I considered was the Sony X950G, mainly for the upscaling with the ultimate chip, but I heard the blacks aren't that great, plus it's $600 more.
post #1074 of 1331 Old 12-04-2019, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntmatterz View Post
Would it really matter to you guys, or notice it if you actually weren't looking for it? These forums make you psychologically aware of it then it becomes way more apparent. Every TV I ever brought has had some slight variations in vignette or blooming but not a lot. Only TV I ever brought without any problem was the Sony XBR.

I will receive mine 12/6 and I will check for this issue as well. Ill keep you guys posted.

FYI from everything I have read and seen, the issue seems more prevalent on the lower right hand corner.
Lower right corner is right. As far as real content goes I don't really see it unless there is a solid color at the bottom of the screen.
Also it matters how far back you sit from the TV. About 5 inches away the spot disappears.
My normal sitting distance is about 8 ft.
If I sit further back I don't really notice it.
post #1075 of 1331 Old 12-05-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdollahz View Post
Lower right corner is right. As far as real content goes I don't really see it unless there is a solid color at the bottom of the screen.
Also it matters how far back you sit from the TV. About 5 inches away the spot disappears.
My normal sitting distance is about 8 ft.
If I sit further back I don't really notice it.
Yea I am in that same boat, of course now that we are all insanely aware of it, when I get mine in the coming days I "will" check for it
post #1076 of 1331 Old 12-05-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I can only comment on the 2 that I bought last week. I was having the exact same issue until I properly calibrated my units with the right equipment. Using others settings will never get the right results on your particular TV.
What type of equipment are you speaking of?
post #1077 of 1331 Old 12-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
What type of equipment are you speaking of?

I use this for my colorimeter https://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-EODIS3...s%2C163&sr=8-3

I use this for my calibration software https://chromapure.com/products-chromapure-new.asp

There is also a really good free calibration program that you can download here https://sourceforge.net/projects/hcfr/

You can learn how to calibrate your TV here http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322

Last edited by clone1008; 12-05-2019 at 10:13 AM.
post #1078 of 1331 Old 12-05-2019, 10:39 AM

Outstanding, thanks!!
post #1079 of 1331 Old 12-05-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeland79 View Post
Everywhere I look online everyone is saying how great the picture quality on the H9F is. I just got mine home last night and set it up, my picture is grainy and the motion is horrible. I have found a few guides online to optimal settings, but they don't really get any better. It happens with Dolby Vision 4k video on Netflix, regular HD on Netflix and just watching cable as well. Is anyone else experiencing unacceptable, unwatchable picture quality? It almost looks like everything is out of focus. When people talk their mouths are just a blur, nothing seems to be crisp. I'm not sure if I should call Hisense, replace it with a different unit or just return the thing. Any input would be appreciated.
Im having the same exact issue I'm on the latest firmware as well. Let me know if any changes you do help! If you return your tv for another, keep us updated because I may have to do the same :~:
post #1080 of 1331 Old 12-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Anyone know of any good settings for Dolby Vision? I have my TV set up nice with Quantum Tv's settings but Dolby Vision is uhhhhh... a little rough haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , h9f bootloop , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page