Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 379Likes

post #1081 of 1337 Old 12-05-2019, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for triple posting... I forgot to ask if anyone has experienced the H9F not saving the picture settings even if on sources once it turns off and then on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1337 Old 12-05-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MischieffMayhem View Post
Sorry for triple posting... I forgot to ask if anyone has experienced the H9F not saving the picture settings even if on sources once it turns off and then on?
Are you saying it does not keep your settings after you turn it off?

When you turn it on do you get the Android splash screen?
post #1083 of 1337 Old 12-05-2019, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just picked up the 55" version of the h9f. Stunning color and clarity. I'm having one issue that concerns me though - when I play material through the Amazon Fire TV Cube, it's not long before the TV remote is no longer responsive. Home button, volume, input - none of them work any more. The only way to get past this is to power off the TV. Has anyone else had this issue, or know of a way around it? I really like the TV so far, but that behavior is worrisome. Thanks!

Last edited by mgoblue62; 12-05-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue62 View Post
I'm having one issue that concerns me though - when I play material through the Amazon Fire TV Cube, it's not long before the TV remote is no longer responsive.
That's odd.

I have the Fire Stick 4K, no problems with H9F remote.
post #1085 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I just picked up the 55" version of the h9f. Stunning color and clarity. I'm having one issue that concerns me though - when I play material through the Amazon Fire TV Cube, it's not long before the TV remote is no longer responsive. Home button, volume, input - none of them work any more. The only way to get past this is to power off the TV. Has anyone else had this issue, or know of a way around it? I really like the TV so far, but that behavior is worrisome. Thanks!
Is your TV remote paired to the H9F by bluetooth? Mine did by default, but I think I read that some others did not.

Also, what are your equipment control settings on the Fire Cube?
post #1086 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post
That's odd.

I have the Fire Stick 4K, no problems with H9F remote.
On further testing this seems to be happening with PRIME UHD content. I haven't seen it with other sources yet. So far no issues with Netflix UHD. I have the HDMI 2.0 format set to Enhanced. I wonder if a faster cable is needed?
post #1087 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On further testing this seems to be happening with PRIME UHD content.
I watched the NFL on Prime last night with my FS 4K. No issues with the remote.

Stumped.
post #1088 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any luck playing .mkv files off of a portable hard drive? My Samsung has no problem, however when I plug in the same drive into the Hisense, it recognizes the drive, but none of the folders or files.

Thanks!
post #1089 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnotron View Post
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any luck playing .mkv files off of a portable hard drive? My Samsung has no problem, however when I plug in the same drive into the Hisense, it recognizes the drive, but none of the folders or files.

Thanks!
What are use using for media player for playback. Kodi should see the USB drive and see the MKV files. I know it works for me playing MKV files when I am using my NAS drive.
post #1090 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntmatterz View Post
Would it really matter to you guys, or notice it if you actually weren't looking for it? These forums make you psychologically aware of it then it becomes way more apparent. Every TV I ever brought has had some slight variations in vignette or blooming but not a lot. Only TV I ever brought without any problem was the Sony XBR.

I will receive mine 12/6 and I will check for this issue as well. Ill keep you guys posted.

FYI from everything I have read and seen, the issue seems more prevalent on the lower right hand corner.

Yes, it's not something that I had to look for. It was bad enough that I jumped on here looking to see if it was a common problem, and whether I'd just receive another that had the same issue if I replaced it.
On mine, the darkest corner is the upper left, but all the corners are dark.
post #1091 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Anyone know of any good settings for Dolby Vision? I have my TV set up nice with Quantum Tv's settings but Dolby Vision is uhhhhh... a little rough haha.
Can you link me to his settings please?
post #1092 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 12:22 PM

Alright, so I received my TV today and first impressions, out of the box it feels like quality. The picture is stunning, I would dare say almost rivals my Sony 900.

A few tweaks and calibration here and there is more preference then anything. The TV is amazing. Now for the elephant in the room, yes there is some vignetting if you view a complete white screen, but no DSE.

Seriously tho, I have been viewing a bunch of things, you just dont notice it and honestly not enough for me to get upset and return it.

FYI TV is sold out again at BB.
post #1093 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On further testing this seems to be happening with PRIME UHD content.
Sorry missed the UHD part.

I have watched The Boys on Prime, no remote issues.

Someone mentioned bluetooth, wonder if you are losing the connect for some reason.
post #1094 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry missed the UHD part.

I have watched The Boys on Prime, no remote issues.

Someone mentioned bluetooth, wonder if you are losing the connect for some reason.
Thanks all for the feedback on this issue. I haven't been able to duplicate it today, so maybe we will be good going forward. The only other changes since last night were these:

1. Put the android system in developer mode
2. Turned all menu animations off
3. Set up the remote to use bluetooth

The TV did not get a firmware update overnight, so that hasn't changed. The picture quality of this set continues to blow me away. I haven't looked at any source material that looks bad - satellite, prime hd/uhd, netflix hd/uhd, youtube.
tomanystraydogs likes this.
post #1095 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
At my local BB there is none in stock and nothing even on display. Stock from warehouse allowed me to pick up after 5 days.
post #1096 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Update-

So I set this up to connect to my GTX 2080 Super via HDMI. By default this TV did not auto set HDMI input to the correct setting (enhanced). Without this I was only able to push out 30HZ refresh rate on sample game (Tomb Raider). Switching it manually to Enhanced mode resolved this and was able to get 60HZ

Switch to game mode as well is manual, so go ahead and do that. I also tweaked a few things:
  1. Backight -> local dimming to medium
  2. Picture Mode = Game
  3. Sharpness from 10-12
  4. Color Temperature I chose medium
  5. Dynamic Range = Auto
  6. Active Contrast = Medium
  7. Color Space = Auto

Looks soo soo good
post #1097 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsindogg View Post
Is your TV remote paired to the H9F by bluetooth? Mine did by default, but I think I read that some others did not.

Also, what are your equipment control settings on the Fire Cube?
The TV remote initially was not paired by bluetooth. I set that up today. The Fire Cube (2018) has equipment control set to Automatic.
post #1098 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Yup,mine does the same.
post #1099 of 1337 Old 12-06-2019, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post
Yup,mine does the same.
What firmware?

Do you get the Android splash screen when you turn it back on?
post #1100 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
What firmware?

Do you get the Android splash screen when you turn it back on?
Yes, I get the Android splash screen but today when I turned it on I checked my picture settings and they were what i set them at. So all is good for now.
post #1101 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 12:20 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
At my local BB there is none in stock and nothing even on display. Stock from warehouse allowed me to pick up after 5 days.
Bought the 55 at BB a couple days ago...loving it so far. Had a continuing issue with BT sound so switched to optical until I can figure it out. This thing has a great built in tuner...much better than the TCL and Samsung units I have had recently. Easily pulls in channels I could not get before.
post #1102 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post
Yes, I get the Android splash screen but today when I turned it on I checked my picture settings and they were what i set them at. So all is good for now.
If you get the Android splash screen every time you turn it on then power is getting cut to it. Energy saving power strip?

I don't use one of those and don't get the splash screen, when I turn it 'off' it's more like sleep on a pc.

Just an FYI.
post #1103 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 01:50 PM

Liked: 10
I'm having this exact same issue too. Just got the TV last week. Updated it out of the box. Picture settings will never stick. The TV will also turn itself off after being paused on different apps. Also will not let me configure ARC to my soundbar. Other than that, it's a great looking TV. Just wish it would work properly.

MischieffMayhem said:
post #1104 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 01:52 PM

I also am not getting the full boot. It's like it's asleep when it comes on. I am going to try restarting it from scratch and see what happens.
post #1105 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 03:01 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperjj04 View Post
I also am not getting the full boot. It's like it's asleep when it comes on. I am going to try restarting it from scratch and see what happens.
Make sure you are saving the changes before backing out of settings. I didn't notice it at first but there is a save settings button on the very bottom of the menu.
post #1106 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a 55R6E, it's a year old, sorry there's no threads on a R6, the TV just turns off and back on, I'm thinking a power supply issue, I have a extended warranty and getting a new tv sent by square trade after spending a few hours trying everything, I found a power supply on Ebay for under $30, might repair it, anyone else with power issues like above?, I have a 2013 50" Hisense 1080p set and still works great, might be time to get the 2007 Panny 50" plasma from the basement and use it again, been a longtime since i've posted here, thanks guys!
post #1107 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Alright, so I received my TV today and first impressions, out of the box it feels like quality. The picture is stunning, I would dare say almost rivals my Sony 900.

A few tweaks and calibration here and there is more preference then anything. The TV is amazing. Now for the elephant in the room, yes there is some vignetting if you view a complete white screen, but no DSE.

Seriously tho, I have been viewing a bunch of things, you just dont notice it and honestly not enough for me to get upset and return it.

I'm interested in how it compares to a Sony 900F as that is the next TV I would have gone for. I've heard stories of banding issues in the middle of the screen on the Sonys. I may just wait til CES at this point. As far as the H9F the picture looks pretty good at 4k. 480p/720p/1080p upscaling didn't look that good to me at least. Lots of noise/artifacts. Although not sure what to expect as I have no other TV to compare it to. I hear Sony has the best upscaler.

The Vignetting didn't really bother me either. Top Left corner was the darkest but even that wasn't so bad. It was the DSE I got every time I opened the menu that really did it for me. There was basically a black line of darkness at the bottom. Notice how you can't see it on the actual video part but you can see it the menu area or any area with a solid color. See Pic (It looks worse in pic than it actually is but you get the idea)

I went through the whole update paranoia as well. I blocked the updates from my router thinking it would ruin things but ended up running the update and didn't notice any change. Also it seems checking for updates is weird in that it doesn't pop immediately when a update is available. Basically you check for update then few mins later the update pops up.

Anyways Fedex Freight picked up the TV on Thursday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191204_222334.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	538.0 KB
ID:	2650830  
post #1108 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 03:40 PM

Since getting my 55”q9809 last week, i got a bunch of questions!

Can i get feedback from other owners regarding the vignetting on my new 55”? Is this acceptable or worse than average? i think my glasses exaggerate chromatic abberation i am seeing from around 6.5’ viewing distance, as i am seeing brownish discoloration that my pics dont capture

The 0615 firmware has not been updated - i am keeping this tv offline and streaming content thru my playstation via universalmedia server.

I am also the internal media player and a thumbdrive when bandwidth is an issue - testing all the different judder test i can find on youtube to try to determine the best motion settings for all the possible content.

So far, the film setting doesn’t appear to improve 24p footage, in spite of the brightness hit, i have had more luck with the Motion Clearness BFI. Beyond ‘what ever looks best to you’, can anyone tell me what the intended use cases are for the clear/standard/smooth settings? I was using this youtube clip to test along with other in its series. Since getting my 55”q9809 last week, i got a bunch of questions!

Can i get feedback from other owners regarding the vignetting on my new 55”? Is this acceptable or worse than average? i think my glasses exaggerate chromatic abberation i am seeing from around 6.5’ viewing distance, as i am seeing brownish discoloration that my pics dont capture

The 0615 firmware has not been updated - i am keeping this tv offline and streaming content thru my playstation via universalmedia server.

I am also the internal media player and a thumbdrive when bandwidth is an issue - testing all the different judder test i can find on youtube to try to determine the best motion settings for all the possible content. So far, the film setting doesn’t appear to improve 24p footage, in spite of the brightness hit, i have had more luck with the Motion Clearness BFI. Beyond ‘what ever looks best to you’, can anyone tell me what the intended use cases are for the clear/standard/smooth settings?

(Ideally, i’d like to get the DLNA working nicely over a wired connection between router and a shared drive without it accessing the external internet but i haven’t figured out how to do that with my router’s asuswrt-merlin firmware yet and want to avoid any accidental connection or too much trial and error. Any assistance gratefully accepted!)

Got some other questions for you:

There are two USB ports - whats the difference and when to use one over the other? on my q9 the top one is labelled 1, bottom one 2, but which is the usb 3.0? I did comb the manual but couldn’t find any definitive info.

I was intending to try out quantum’s settings but he has decided to put them behind a members-only/paywall so am happy to accept any settings recommendations out there beyond the rtings data.

Also for those folks that have gotten their firmware updates from hisense support instead of downloading thru the tv directly, will they provide it more than once during the 1yr warranty period or is it a one and done deal. I wish they'd just make it downloadable thru their website like other manufacturers sigh...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00064_e.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2650834  
post #1109 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopapizix View Post
Since getting my 55”q9809 last week, i got a bunch of questions!

I am also using the internal media player and a thumbdrive when bandwidth is an issue - testing all the different judder tests i can find on youtube to try to determine the best motion settings for all the possible content. So far, the film setting doesn’t appear to improve 24p footage, in spite of the brightness hit, i have had more luck with the Motion Clearness BFI. Beyond ‘what ever looks best to you’, can anyone tell me what the intended use cases are for the clear/standard/smooth settings?

(Ideally, i’d like to get the DLNA working nicely over a wired connection between router and a shared drive without it accessing the external internet but i haven’t figured out how to do that with my router’s asuswrt-merlin firmware yet and want to avoid any accidental connection or too much trial and error. Any assistance gratefully accepted!)

Got some other questions for you:

There are two USB ports - whats the difference and when to use one over the other? on my q9 the top one is labelled 1, bottom one 2, but which is the usb 3.0? I did comb the manual but couldn’t find any definitive info.

I was intending to try out quantum’s settings but he has decided to put them behind a members-only/paywall so am happy to accept any settings recommendations out there beyond the rtings data.

Also for those folks that have gotten their firmware updates from hisense support instead of downloading thru the tv directly, will they provide it more than once during the 1yr warranty period or is it a one and done deal. I wish they'd just make it downloadable thru their website like other manufacturers sigh...
Doh! sorry for the inadvertent double-pasting and errors in my first post.

hope most of it made sense...!
post #1110 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperjj04 View Post
I'm having this exact same issue too. Just got the TV last week. Updated it out of the box. Picture settings will never stick. The TV will also turn itself off after being paused on different apps. Also will not let me configure ARC to my soundbar. Other than that, it's a great looking TV. Just wish it would work properly.

MischieffMayhem said:
Shouldn't of updated it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , h9f bootloop , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page