Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 379Likes

post #1111 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by harperjj04 View Post
I also am not getting the full boot. It's like it's asleep when it comes on. I am going to try restarting it from scratch and see what happens.
I think you need to hold the power button down for 3 seconds for full boot, I always hated having to wait for the home screen, now I just tap it, and it skips the android home screen, and goes straight to the station.
tomanystraydogs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopapizix View Post
Since getting my 55”q9809 last week, i got a bunch of questions!

Can i get feedback from other owners regarding the vignetting on my new 55”? Is this acceptable or worse than average? i think my glasses exaggerate chromatic abberation i am seeing from around 6.5’ viewing distance, as i am seeing brownish discoloration that my pics dont capture

The 0615 firmware has not been updated - i am keeping this tv offline and streaming content thru my playstation via universalmedia server.

I am also the internal media player and a thumbdrive when bandwidth is an issue - testing all the different judder test i can find on youtube to try to determine the best motion settings for all the possible content.

So far, the film setting doesn’t appear to improve 24p footage, in spite of the brightness hit, i have had more luck with the Motion Clearness BFI. Beyond ‘what ever looks best to you’, can anyone tell me what the intended use cases are for the clear/standard/smooth settings? I was using this youtube clip to test along with other in its series. Since getting my 55”q9809 last week, i got a bunch of questions!

Can i get feedback from other owners regarding the vignetting on my new 55”? Is this acceptable or worse than average? i think my glasses exaggerate chromatic abberation i am seeing from around 6.5’ viewing distance, as i am seeing brownish discoloration that my pics dont capture

The 0615 firmware has not been updated - i am keeping this tv offline and streaming content thru my playstation via universalmedia server.

I am also the internal media player and a thumbdrive when bandwidth is an issue - testing all the different judder test i can find on youtube to try to determine the best motion settings for all the possible content. So far, the film setting doesn’t appear to improve 24p footage, in spite of the brightness hit, i have had more luck with the Motion Clearness BFI. Beyond ‘what ever looks best to you’, can anyone tell me what the intended use cases are for the clear/standard/smooth settings?

(Ideally, i’d like to get the DLNA working nicely over a wired connection between router and a shared drive without it accessing the external internet but i haven’t figured out how to do that with my router’s asuswrt-merlin firmware yet and want to avoid any accidental connection or too much trial and error. Any assistance gratefully accepted!)

Got some other questions for you:

There are two USB ports - whats the difference and when to use one over the other? on my q9 the top one is labelled 1, bottom one 2, but which is the usb 3.0? I did comb the manual but couldn’t find any definitive info.

I was intending to try out quantum’s settings but he has decided to put them behind a members-only/paywall so am happy to accept any settings recommendations out there beyond the rtings data.

Also for those folks that have gotten their firmware updates from hisense support instead of downloading thru the tv directly, will they provide it more than once during the 1yr warranty period or is it a one and done deal. I wish they'd just make it downloadable thru their website like other manufacturers sigh...
That's a really good screen, very little dse, all led tv's have some form of dark corners.
post #1113 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
When using the apps, particularly with football, it looks like its missing a lot of frames. Super laggy. Great wifi connection, great picture, but it’s unwatchable. Have to use tge roku.

Would like to figure it out.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopapizix View Post

I was intending to try out quantum’s settings but he has decided to put them behind a members-only/paywall so am happy to accept any settings recommendations out there beyond the rtings data.

Also for those folks that have gotten their firmware updates from hisense support instead of downloading thru the tv directly, will they provide it more than once during the 1yr warranty period or is it a one and done deal. I wish they'd just make it downloadable thru their website like other manufacturers sigh...
Don't use the USB ports so I can't help with that.

Mine update on it's own from J0615 to J1008. I know some don't recommend it but prior to J1008 gradients and banding were bad. Plus it fixed ARC and added Amazon Prime.

Found an old post about settings, hth.

Latest firmware is J1008 as far as I know.

If you have a blu-ray with something like Spears and Munsil that would be best. I don't have a player so I'm stuck with youtube.

Get your grayscale set (contrast and brightness) for you environment.

SD/HD

HDR black clipping

HDR white clipping

Local dimming = low medium and high are all the same at this time.

Active contrast = low (others may crush blacks)

noise = off

Motion clearness = off (that's black frame insertion)

Motion settings: whatever looks good to you

Only color I messed with was red. Magnum P.I. did not look Ferrari red, it looked fuchsia. I dropped red brightness -4 to fix it, but yours may be different.

Good luck.
zheka likes this.
post #1115 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Picture settings will never stick. The TV will also turn itself off after being paused on different apps. Also will not let me configure ARC to my soundbar. Other than that, it's a great looking TV. Just wish it would work properly.
What firmware?

When you say it turns itself off is the light on the front of the H9F off or on?
post #1116 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa33 View Post
That's a really good screen, very little dse, all led tv's have some form of dark corners.
Was gonna say the same, that's about as good as we can hope for.
post #1117 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa33 View Post
I think you need to hold the power button down for 3 seconds for full boot, I always hated having to wait for the home screen, now I just tap it, and it skips the android home screen, and goes straight to the station.
You got me curious, never tried to hold the remote power button down.

It looks like a quick press of the button puts it into sleep mode.

Long press gives the options to power down or power down then restart (reboot).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191207_195050.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2650902  
post #1118 of 1337 Old 12-07-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeracer619 View Post
When using the apps, particularly with football, it looks like its missing a lot of frames. Super laggy. Great wifi connection, great picture, but it’s unwatchable. Have to use tge roku.

Would like to figure it out.

Thanks for any advice.
For clarification you're talking about the internal H9F apps?

I watched the NFL on Prime the other night, looked great but I was using my Fire Stick 4K.

I think the processor in the H9F is underpowered. I notice it gets sluggish if I am streaming using internal apps and try to make picture adjustments.
post #1119 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey all. Does anyone have optimal HDR settings?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
post #1120 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
65" H9F is out of stock at Bestbuy and inflated prices elsewhere. They don't know when it will be available next.

What other TVs are comparable to its specifications more so than the price ?

Would I be correct in thinking that by superbowl H9F should be available ?
post #1121 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So when I have it paused on Netflix for a few minutes, it will cut itself off. There is no light on when the screen goes blank. As for the picture settings, yes I have been hitting apply picture settings to all and then going back. It already seems to be changing itself after the factory reset. Will mess with it more today.
post #1122 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So when I have it paused on Netflix for a few minutes, it will cut itself off. There is no light on when the screen goes blank.
For clarification the internal Netflix app, correct?

Turn screensaver off as a test.
post #1123 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 07:59 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ KUMAR View Post
65" H9F is out of stock at Bestbuy and inflated prices elsewhere. They don't know when it will be available next.

Have you tired Brandmsart USA. I got both my H9E plus and H9F there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1124 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:

It’s actually in stock at all of our local Brandsmart stores. The pricing is right too

post #1125 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post
For clarification you're talking about the internal H9F apps?

I watched the NFL on Prime the other night, looked great but I was using my Fire Stick 4K.

I think the processor in the H9F is underpowered. I notice it gets sluggish if I am streaming using internal apps and try to make picture adjustments.
That's what I'm finding. Internal apps don't seem very good. NFL Sunday ticket is horrible, so I watch through and Xbox OneX and it is much better. I have the top of the line Roku coming for Christmas, so I'm going to hook that up to my H9F for all of my streaming needs.
post #1126 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.farnham.5 View Post
Quote:

It’️s actually in stock at all of our local Brandsmart stores. The pricing is right too

Thanks David for your suggestion. Since I'm all the way in NY the shipping charges would apply but more importantly returning in case of issues would be a hassle.
post #1127 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidturtle View Post
That's what I'm finding. Internal apps don't seem very good. NFL Sunday ticket is horrible, so I watch through and Xbox OneX and it is much better. I have the top of the line Roku coming for Christmas, so I'm going to hook that up to my H9F for all of my streaming needs.

I went Apple TV 4K and it’s wonderful. I may do a second one in my den.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1128 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 02:53 PM

Liked: 13
This one has been in my Best Buy cart for about 3 weeks. Always got the message "not available within 250 miles, not available for delivery, then lately SOLD OUT. At this point Amazon also run out with other sellers asking for a ridiculous price, almost twice. I was also looking at the Vizio PX65-G1 (Quantum X), the LG 65SM8600 (Nano cell-edge lit) and the Samsung QN65Q6FN(QLED edge-lit)) last year which I found amazing picture wize. That's why I decided I wanted a Quantum-Dot TV. It's a no-brainer to buy the 65H9F at current selling price.

Finally got one last Thursday and had it delivered free Saturday 5pm. Set it up earlier, connected to internet via Ethernet and agreed to everything. Updated to the latest firmware. J0615_to_J1008.

"Upgrade content
Hi. We Optimized the TV picture quality, improved some features of popular apps and fixed some know issues. Please update the TV software for a better user experience."

Logged in my Google account and checked Netflix. Surprised that it already had my Netflix login and password which I didn't enter, not sure how it did that.

Was Disney+ maybe added with this firmware? I'll test my Amazon Prime and Hulu accounts too.

Watched episode 5 of The Mandalorian as a test, Dolby Vision shown on top right of screen.

Also watched some YouTube 4K HDR and Dolby Vision videos, amazing quality as it is without touching the video and audio settings. Getting used to the Android app, coming from a Samsung 4K 55" curved smart tv app and Sharp 4K 50" Roku app. I have a Roku Premiere 4620R and Amazon Fire stick 4K which I'll test later. Didn't try my Xfinity X1 cable TV yet (non 4K). Used my Sony UBP-X800 and watched Avengers - Endgame. Amazing picture quality and bright too on the subtitle.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Obligatory white screen (via YouTube) in total darkness. Taken with a Note 9 512GB (4038x2268). Sorry for the large photo.

tomanystraydogs and AKFaust61 like this.

Last edited by SKORPI0; 12-09-2019 at 12:54 AM.
post #1129 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnotron View Post
Hey guys,

Has anyone had any luck playing .mkv files off of a portable hard drive? My Samsung has no problem, however when I plug in the same drive into the Hisense, it recognizes the drive, but none of the folders or files.

Thanks!
Plugged in a PNY 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive (NTFS format) with a 2160p MKV file on the USB 2.0 port (white) and it is recognized and plays fine.

For some strange reason plugging it in the USB 3.0 port (blue), flash drive is recognized but the file is not even seen.

Last edited by SKORPI0; 12-08-2019 at 04:01 PM.
post #1130 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post
Latest firmware is J1008 as far as I know.

If you have a blu-ray with something like Spears and Munsil that would be best. I don't have a player so I'm stuck with youtube.

Get your grayscale set (contrast and brightness) for you environment.

SD/HD

HDR black clipping

HDR white clipping

Local dimming = low medium and high are all the same at this time.

Active contrast = low (others may crush blacks)

noise = off

Motion clearness = off (that's black frame insertion)

Motion settings: whatever looks good to you

Only color I messed with was red. Magnum P.I. did not look Ferrari red, it looked fuchsia. I dropped red brightness -4 to fix it, but yours may be different.

Good luck.
What am i looking for on the grayscale test when adjusting brightness and contrast?
post #1131 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Edge View Post
What am i looking for on the grayscale test when adjusting brightness and contrast?
SD/HD
There is a white line for black and whites.
Top row black, the white line and 2 columns to the left are black, to the right slightly brighter. Use brightness to adjust this.

Top row white, the white line and 2 columns to the right are white,
to the left slightly darker. Use contrast to adjust this.

HDR black clipping
Reference black is 0%. So that column and those to the left are black, to the right get slightly brighters. Use brightness to adjust this.

HDR white clipping
100% and the space to the left should be the same. To the left of 100% should be slightly darker. Use contrast to adjust this.
post #1132 of 1337 Old 12-08-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKORPI0 View Post

"Upgrade content
Hi. We Optimized the TV picture quality, improved some features of popular apps and fixed some know issues. Please update the TV software for a better user experience."

Logged in my Google account and checked Netflix. Surprised that it already had my Netflix login and password which I didn't enter, not sure how it did that.

Was Disney+ maybe added with this firmware? I'll test my Amazon Prime and Hulu accounts too.

Watched episode 5 of The Mandalorian as a test, Dolby Vision shown on top right of screen.

Also watched some YouTube 4K HDR and Dolby Vision videos, amazing quality as it is without touching the video and audio settings. Getting used to the Android app, coming from a Samsung 4K 55" curved smart tv app and Sharp 4K 50" Roku app. I have a Roku Premiere 4620R and Amazon Fire stick 4K which I'll test later. Didn't try my Xfinity X1 cable TV yet (non 4K). Used my Sony UBP-X800 and watched Avengers - Endgame. Amazing picture quality and bright too on the subtitle.

Obligatory white screen (via YouTube) in total darkness. Taken with a Note 9 512GB (4038x2268). Sorry for the large photo.

Looks good, about as good as can be expected.

You got your J1008 fast, took me a month to get it.

Not sure about Disney+ as it came out after the J1008 update.
post #1133 of 1337 Old 12-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MischieffMayhem View Post
Sorry for triple posting... I forgot to ask if anyone has experienced the H9F not saving the picture settings even if on sources once it turns off and then on?
I had this problem initially, the Apply picture setting radial was defaulted to Current source which lead me to think any changes were automatically applied. What I found is that you need to actually select Current Source to actually save them. Once I did that picture settings were applied and recalled at boot and change of picture mode.

Last edited by Mmcguire; 12-09-2019 at 08:17 AM.
post #1134 of 1337 Old 12-09-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKORPI0 View Post
Plugged in a PNY 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive (NTFS format) with a 2160p MKV file on the USB 2.0 port (white) and it is recognized and plays fine.

For some strange reason plugging it in the USB 3.0 port (blue), flash drive is recognized but the file is not even seen.
Weird! I tried the same thing with no luck. I wonder if there is a drive size limit on the TV? Who knows. I am returning this TV anyways and getting a Q70. I think I lost the panel lottery on the Hisense as I had terrible DSE. Watching hockey was brutal as the lower 1/4 of the screen was yellowish.
post #1135 of 1337 Old 12-09-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone, I am a new member interested in a tv under 900.00. I am deciding between the 65H8F and the 65H9F. It will mostly be used for TV (sport) and movies, no video game. Please advice.
post #1136 of 1337 Old 12-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnotron View Post
Weird! I tried the same thing with no luck. I wonder if there is a drive size limit on the TV? Who knows. I am returning this TV anyways and getting a Q70. I think I lost the panel lottery on the Hisense as I had terrible DSE. Watching hockey was brutal as the lower 1/4 of the screen was yellowish.

If you can, take a hi-res photo and post it here to give us an idea. DSE is one issue for this panel I think.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...een-effect-dse

Okay, plugged in a Western Digital portable external 4TB drive (NTFS format) full of mkv 720p/1080p files at the USB 3.0 port (blue). MKV files are now recognized and plays well.

Last edited by SKORPI0; 12-09-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #1137 of 1337 Old 12-09-2019, 09:45 AM

Liked: 11
I replaced a 82" Mitsubishi 1080p DLP with the 65" Hisense H9F a week ago and I have to say for $799 this is one hell of a deal. I seem to have gotten lucky on the panel, I don't have any of the vignetting or DSE issues, it's only very light on the very edge of the screen. My only complaint would be the lack of an 82' option but I'm hoping we see that with an 8K model in the future. I have the set connected via Ethernet which I only did after initial setup was completed. The update to J1008 came at my first power cycle post setup.

I only use one source, a rather old i7-950 x58 PC with GTX970 via HDMI. Initial attempts to enable enhanced HDMI on the Hisense failed, reason being the 970 was set to 8bit. Once I switched to 4:2:2 colorspace and 10bit in the Nvidia control panel I was able to successfully enable enhanced HDMI on the H9F and from there turn on HDR in Windows 10. Interestingly, all the picture modes changed to prefix an HDR in front of them at that point, HDR Vivid, HDR Standard ect. The Mitz use to require a screen resize to 1824x1014 to fit to screen... every driver update.. The Hisense adjusts perfectly to each screen size at full resolution removing that PITA. Unfortunately, x265 10bit videos at 4K on this PC is just not going to fly. Additionally some apps just don't scale well at 4K so I've elected for a 1080p60 desktop. I haven't played yet with enabling Zooom Player to auto switch and upscale 1080p content to 4K which may be doable. I am however quite satisfied with x265 10bit 1080p content at 1080p60 encoded from a 4K UHD Bluray.

Using AVS Calibration Mp4 via zoom player w/MadVR I got the best white level detail using medium active contrast with a contrast setting of 48. Black levels were good with brightness at 50. I initially had HDR Game picture mode set but have since changed to HDR standard, low dimming, Mid-Low color temp, No noise reduction, smooth motion. Color calibration required tint 1, Color 52.

The only blank I have yet to fill in is longevity which only time will answer. It's great though to know my set isn't dying a bit every day from a fading DLP bulb, goodbye good riddance!

Last edited by Mmcguire; 12-09-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #1138 of 1337 Old 12-09-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidturtle View Post
You lose Dolby Vision if you use Roku since Roku doesn't support it. Not to mention, no CEC support on Roku. Why not Apple TV or Firestick/Cube, which both support DV?
post #1139 of 1337 Old 12-09-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The H9F is no different than every other smart TV on the market in that you really need to skip the internal OS/CPU and add a proper streaming device. This becomes more apparent as the years go on, when your TV still delivers a perfectly good picture, but app and OS code bloat overwhelm the marginal CPU your TV shipped with. Streaming devices are a cheap and easy to swap out every few years as they become obsolete on a TV that's probably good enough for the next 10 years.

Given that it's probably inevitable you'll need to add a streaming device at some point, I don't see any point in suffering with the laggy Android TV your panel shipped with in the short term. That Android TV was only slapped in so they could they could include it as a bullet point in their marketing for this unit -- so the engineering requirement was simply that it worked more or less, not necessarily worked well.

Last edited by beyondpluto; 12-09-2019 at 12:31 PM.
post #1140 of 1337 Old 12-09-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmcguire View Post
My only complaint with the set is the IR remote, I would have preferred RF but that's a price point issue.
FYI and so no one gets confused, the remote is bluetooth.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191209_112056.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2651666  
theboomr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , h9f bootloop , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex