Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 379Likes

post #1141 of 1331 Old 12-09-2019, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Can you guys verify an issue with the firmware J1008 and/or android 8.0 please? Try it if you have older firmware too so I can see if J1008 is the issue.

When streaming anything in 5.1 from any of the built in apps I'm not getting sound from my center channel! TV is set to Dolby Digital not PCM.
It's happening on vudu, amazon prime, fandangonow, youtube etc.

For some reason occassionally my reciever will show PCM 2.0 but I have output from all 5 speakers, until I restart the tv through the menu, then the reciever will show DD but w/ no audio output from the center channel.

I have optical running from tv out to yamaha reciever optical input (since my yamaha doesnt support ARC) & the tv is set to DD (DD "+" is not supported through optical connections).
I know the issue is NOT my Yamaha rx-v3800 cause all other sources playback DD fine.

PLEASE guys stream any movie or video (from the tvs internal apps) that has 5.1 audio & put your ear up to your center speaker & let me know if you have any sound from center speaker???
You will know within the first minute or two of the stream if your tv suffers the same issue as mine.

Also please state your firmware version with your reply? Thanks!!!

\m/ Strength Determination Merciless Forever \m/
Yamaha RX-V3800 /Sony BDP-S790
Klipsch Legend series speakers (5) & Klipsch Dual THX Ultra II Subwoofers w/ ext Klipsch Subwoofer Amp
HISENSE 55H9F / Custom Built CaseLabs watercooled PC

Last edited by sdmf74; 12-13-2019 at 01:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1331 Old 12-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post
FYI and so no one gets confused, the remote is bluetooth.
So here's the skinny on this... the remote is actually both IR and Bluetooth. I had not paired my remote, duh! This removes that complaint as Bluetooth is actually preferable to RF, editing original post. Thanks for the reminder.

For a while there I was afraid Best Buy had done what they did with TCL in that in their version of the set the remote is IR vs RF if you buy it elsewhere. I've also encountered "special" Best Buy versions with APC UPS's. This is such an underhanded way to increase profits were it not for my need for a haul away I'd buy elsewhere.
tomanystraydogs likes this.

Last edited by Mmcguire; 12-09-2019 at 05:22 PM.
post #1143 of 1331 Old 12-09-2019, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnowsaying View Post
Hey. Just so you know in that first pic you're only displaying 1080p. I have the same problem with the 4k fire stick and have no idea why. I use the native apps on the TV and everything works perfectly! Love this TV so much! If anyone can find a solution to using the 4k fire stick in actual 4k it'd be greatly appreciated. I hate having only Dolby Digital+ through ARC.
Make sure you changed the HDMI port you have the Fire Stick in to Enhanced Mode can't remember the menu area unfortunately I'm at work so not in front of the TV it's probably that since the native apps on TV display correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1331 Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmf74 View Post
Can you guys verify an issue with the firmware J1008 and/or android 8.0 please? Try it if you have older firmware too so I can see if J1008 is the issue.

When streaming anything from any of the built in apps I'm not getting sound from my center channel!
It's happening on vudu, amazon prime, fandangonow, youtube etc.

Occassionally my reciever will show PCM 2.0 & all 5 speakers work (very odd) but it's not DD, it's more like pro logicII until I restart the tv through the menu then the reciever will show DD but w/ no audio output from the center channel.

I have optical running from tv out to yamaha reciever optical input (since my yamaha doesnt support ARC) & the tv is set to DD (since DD "+" is not supported through optical connections).
I know the issue is NOT my Yamaha rx-v3800 cause all other sources playback DD fine, including my cable box which is passed thru the TV's HDMI in & tv's optical out to my reciever. So the tvs optical out can pass DD just not when using the tvs internal android apps.

PLEASE guys stream any movie or video (from the tvs internal apps) that has 5.1 audio & put your ear up to your center speaker & let me know if you have any sound from center speaker???
You will know within the first minute or two of the stream if your tv suffers the same issue as mine.

Also please state your firmware version with your reply? Thanks!!!
I'm have J1008 center channel works fine when using the internal apps. I'm using a arc connection to a 5.1.4 sound bar set up though. I played around with the center channel volume and I definitely get sound from it. I will connect a optical cable when I can and see if it makes a difference.
post #1145 of 1331 Old 12-10-2019, 02:52 AM

Thanks for testing it. I think it has something to with the optical out while streaming from the tv rather than the hdmi like you said.
Hopefully we can get a couple more people to test it who are using the optical out.

Klipsch Legend series speakers (5) & Klipsch Dual THX Ultra II Subwoofers w/ ext Klipsch Subwoofer Amp
post #1146 of 1331 Old 12-10-2019, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Thanks for testing it. I think it has something to with the optical out while streaming from the tv rather than the hdmi like you said.
Hopefully we can get a couple more people to test it who are using the optical out.
My receiver doesn't do 4K either, so I have to go HDMI directly to the TV and then use optical out to my receiver. My center channel works just fine. I'm using PCM in the TV settings.
post #1147 of 1331 Old 12-10-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossh21 View Post
My receiver doesn't do 4K either, so I have to go HDMI directly to the TV and then use optical out to my receiver. My center channel works just fine. I'm using PCM in the TV settings.
Curious, why not use ARC?

My 10 year old AVR does not do 4K either.

So my Fire Stick 4k and Roku Premiere use H9F HDMI ports, then HDMI ARC to the AVR.

No ARC issues since J1008.
post #1148 of 1331 Old 12-10-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Curious, why not use ARC?

My 10 year old AVR does not do 4K either.

So my Fire Stick 4k and Roku Premiere use H9F HDMI ports, then HDMI ARC to the AVR.

No ARC issues since J1008.
I tried at first, but that's when I was on J0730 (I believe that was the version number). I was having issues with ARC so I went to optical and haven't had any problems since. I haven't tried to go back to ARC since the J1008 update, and don't really care to try it again. If it ain't broke ...
post #1149 of 1331 Old 12-10-2019, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This TV runs hot compared to my Sony.
post #1150 of 1331 Old 12-10-2019, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello I a 65inche H9F with the last firmware installed. It's plugged to a Sony Str-dn 1080. if I turn on the CEC on the Hisense here's what happens:
Does any of you have the same problem ?
post #1151 of 1331 Old 12-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad3Dad View Post
First post to the forums, so I wanted to thank you all for sharing
Sharing is caring...
Quote:
I called Amazon and they had a new unit on it's way within the 10 min phone call, with a 30 day grace period and a prepaid return label to return the original unit. I was expecting much more hassle and some down time for sure.

Well I found plenty of hassle on the next go.... So I get the second unit in 2 days and eagerly get it unboxed to do a thorough inspection. As soon as the first splash screen lit up I seen what looked like a fingerprint on the bottom half of the panel... ...

I really couldn't decide if I just wanted to send both back and wait on a refund or what options were available, so I called Amazon again and explained the issue. This time they called Hisense and transferred my call with the manufacturer.
That is where you messed up... The automated option on Amazon will save you soooooo much time instead of dealing with human beings. I had a bad TV and the chat option popped up and like a dumb dumb I thought "why not can't hurt right?". Well, lets just say the guy charged my CC# multiple times for the same display, got my card froze for a 24hr period, couldn't initiate a replacement and instead only could manually do a refund. So I tell the guy "Please undo everything you have done, I will just use the automated system". So I go through the automated prompts, select "replacement", select "charge me if I don't send the unit back in an acceptable period", and I think it is all good, well NO! You see the chat didn't end, so the account was still open with the service rep, and he changed my replacement to refund, and not knowing this I slapped the UPS return label on and haul it to UPS, off it goes. I realize the mistake looking closely at the orders because no tracking number is showing up for the replacement, so I go chat again. This time, a different rep, fixes it, changes the order to replacement, so now I see incoming tracking on replacement unit, but it should have been at the house 2 days prior if you get the hassle they are causing, so now it will arrive 6 days later than it should have originally AND the tracking for the return changed to a different UPS label when they fixed the order. So now my account keeps asking me to print the label and ship the bad unit back (but I already did under the first label).

So, the moral here is, DO NOT TALK TO THEM. DO NOT TALK TO THE MANUFACTURER. It is a waste of time, because ultimately they won't be able to fix anything and you will end up returning it anyway. So just stick with the automated system, as anytime you throw people into the equation you will be taken on a very un-enjoyable ride.

Quote:
Gave it a couple days and called Amazon back and explained the process I went through, and the concern I had with the manufacturers proposa. Then I asked if they would be willing to try another attempt at a replacement, before I requested a refund. We'll find out in a couple days how that turns out, as it's on its way.

At this point I can't say how impressed I am with Amazon. My return window would have been closed at some stores, and I would probably be barred and jailed if I had to handle it in person. They're definitely going above and beyond at trying to resolve the issue, only questions asked were to describe the problem, 2 day free shipping, free returns with a 30 day window, after I receive the replacement. Standing behind their products better than the manufacturer themselves... To be continued...
I think you are over hyping it. You buy something you expect it to be new and built right. There is nothing wrong in expecting something to be free from defects, and yes it seems some kind of weird American psychology problem that people have that they feel they must accept "new" items that are clearly refurbished or discounted because they were bad.
People will always mess it up and the retail system is a crooked mess anyway, stuff gets returned, the companies repackage and send it right back out the door without even fixing it 99% of the time. They do it because statistics tell them that eventually someone will pay for a unit that they would normally get zero money for, and the way the system works they are right about that.
So, buy, if defective, return, your feelings are irrelevant.

Last edited by roadrun777; 12-10-2019 at 08:06 PM.
post #1152 of 1331 Old 12-10-2019, 11:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Hill View Post
Hello I a 65inche H9F with the last firmware installed. It's plugged to a Sony Str-dn 1080. if I turn on the CEC on the Hisense here's what happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq9h6TQoQVo&t=29s
Does any of you have the same problem ?
What firmware do you have?

Firmware:
Menu / Help / System message
post #1153 of 1331 Old 12-11-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like Best Buy has 55" and 65" H9F in some areas.

Amazon has the 55" with a 14% markup.
post #1154 of 1331 Old 12-11-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
What firmware do you have?

Firmware:
Menu / Help / System message

my firmware is j1008
post #1155 of 1331 Old 12-11-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
my firmware is j1008
Just wanted to make sure, had ARC problems before J1008.

I think you are in HDMI 3, try HDMI 1.
post #1156 of 1331 Old 12-12-2019, 08:42 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post
On my 55" only certain functions run hot:

1. built-in YouTube
2. built-in HBO GO

Functions that don't run hot:

1. OTA TV watching
2. Screen saver
3. built-in netflix
4. content from external Fire TV Cube
post #1157 of 1331 Old 12-12-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Same, my 55" does not run hot but I seldom use the internal apps.
post #1158 of 1331 Old 12-12-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue62 View Post
On my 55" only certain functions run hot:

Functions that don't run hot:

1. OTA TV watching
2. Screen saver
3. built-in netflix
4. content from external Fire TV Cube
I also just confirmed that built-in prime video doesn't run hot.

If I'm listening to music on YouTube I sometimes set the TV to audio only.
post #1159 of 1331 Old 12-12-2019, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtytooneratio View Post
Mine has been on for 7 hours today watched 2 4k HDR movies back to back with back light at max. I used a infrared thermometer to measure temp during the 2nd movie. Middle of screen measured 95-96F and gets cooler as I move from the center. Back of the metal part of tv between 108-110. RTINGS did acknowledge the temperature but still said its relatively cool. I was using the internal Vudu when I took the measurements.

Last edited by tdsbigo; 12-12-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #1160 of 1331 Old 12-12-2019, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squad22345 View Post
Does anyone know if I connect a PC onto this TV, I could enable 120hz and play my games on 120hz PC gaming wise? I know consoles it's impossible but what about PC gaming directly connected to my computer. Thank you!

P.S.

How are the 65inch model for this TV unit, are they in good quality and no serious problems I should know about? Thinking of picking one up once Best Buy has them in stock or go with the TCL 625 2019 model.
H9F is the best tv you can buy for the money, it can hang with tv's twice it's price, stay away from the TCL, the motion is terrible!!!
post #1161 of 1331 Old 12-12-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to make sure, had ARC problems before J1008.

I think you are in HDMI 3, try HDMI 1.
No I'm on HDMI 1
post #1162 of 1331 Old 12-12-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No I'm on HDMI 1
Well I'm stumped.

I use HDMI 1 / ARC to a 10 year old Yamaha AVR and it had issues with J0615 but since J1008 no more problems.

I'm confused by the video. Why are there 3 HDMI 1's?

This is how mine looks for comparison.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h9f1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	2653118  
post #1163 of 1331 Old 12-13-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
If you have a center speaker why would you set the tv to PCM? (pcm is stereo 2.0). The tv should be set to Dolby Digital if you want discrete 5.1 output

It sounds like you didnt set the tv to dolby digital & let me know if the center channel works as it should? Make sure you are testing 5.1 movies from the tv apps only, not other sources such as dvd, cable etc.

Please set the tv to dolby digital (not dolby digital plus) & see if you have any sound from your center channel & get proper dolby digital from a 5.1 DD movie from prime, fandangonow, vudu or youtube video using the built in apps on the tv???
If you get no output from the center channel like me than that means there is an issue with the tv or firmware.

Is there really only one other person in the thread without a 4k reciever using optical rather than hdmi arc?

Please do this simple test for me as
I would like to get confirmation on this so I can report it to Hisense & hopefully get our tvs working properly in the next firmware update? Thanks!

Last edited by sdmf74; 12-13-2019 at 01:33 AM.
post #1164 of 1331 Old 12-13-2019, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
If you have a center speaker why would you set it to PCM? (pcm is stereo 2.0). It should be set to Dolby Digital

You seem to be having the same issue as me except you didnt set the tv to dolby digital & let me know if the center channel works as it should?

In pcm there should ONLY be sound from the two main speakers not center or surrounds but the tv is outputting a sort of pro logic for some reason & outputting a non discrete matrix center channel when set to PCM. This is a defect, probably another firmware issue.

Please set the tv to dolby digital (not dolby digital plus) & see if you have any sound from your center channel & get proper dolby digital from a 5.1 DD movie from prime, fandangonow, vudu or youtube video using the built in apps on the tv???

If you get no output from the center channel like me than that means there is an issue with the tv or firmware.

Is there really only one other person in the thread without a 4k reciever using optical rather than hdmi arc?

Please do this simple test for me as

I would like to get confirmation on this so I can report it to Hisense & hopefully get our tvs working properly in the next firmware update? Thanks!
That is incorrect. While Dolby plays surround sound up to 5.1, it is compressed. Linear PCM on the other hand is uncompressed audio up to 7.1. if you're listening to PCM audio and it only comes out of 2 speakers then the source itself is only 2 channel. Changing it to Dolby up mixes the source to surround sound. Realistically you want PCM in most cases unless the source is not in surround.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Mmcguire likes this.
post #1165 of 1331 Old 12-13-2019, 01:13 AM

One would never want optical pcm over DD in a surround sound system, The tvs PCM setting is PCM 2.0 only not linear 5.1 or 7.1 (at least not through optical out) & Yes I know recievers most notably yamaha have alot of surround modes that will take a stereo source and unfavorably mix it to output in some form of matrixed non discrete multi channel but that is not what I am after (forgive me if I misspoke about it ouputting surround in pcm, my issue is not with the tvs pcm setting I was in a hurry & will edit that part in my previous comment.)

Please read below I will summarize again.

The issue I am having & would like to have someone duplicate is that when my tv has optical going input to my reciever (because my reciever has neither 4k capability or arc) I would like to have the 4K HDR/DOLBY VISION movies I rent from the tvs apps
to also play back in dolby digital 5.1 not some other form of matrixed pro logic II or DTS neo 6.

When I attempt to do so & have the tv set to output dolby digital my center channel has NO output, therefore NONE of the tv apps are playing back in Dolby Digital on my system as they should. NOTE: Dolby Digital 5.1 works fine (including my center speaker)
on any other source.

Last edited by sdmf74; 12-13-2019 at 02:56 AM.
post #1166 of 1331 Old 12-13-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Please read below I will summarize again.

The issue I am having & would like to have someone duplicate is that when my tv has optical going input to my reciever (because my reciever has neither 4k capability or arc) I would like to have the 4K HDR/DOLBY VISION movies I rent from the tvs apps
to also play back in dolby digital 5.1 not some other form of matrixed pro logic II or DTS neo 6.

When I attempt to do so & have the tv set to output dolby digital my center channel has NO output, therefore NONE of the tv apps are playing back in Dolby Digital on my system as they should. NOTE: Dolby Digital 5.1 works fine (including my center speaker)
on any other source.
I can try to reproduce tomorrow when I return home. I have a Denon 6400H (7.1.4) via HDMI to the H9F. However, the HDMI cables are 50ft fiber-optic runs without ARC capability. So hooked up optical out via CAT6 for the TV native apps. Not a big fan of how Hisense's audio options only allow ARC or TV speakers (which is the optical out selection), so I basically never use the TV apps.
post #1167 of 1331 Old 12-13-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
The tvs PCM setting is PCM 2.0 only not linear 5.1 or 7.1 (at least not through optical out)
Is there any way to test this? If this is the case, I need to change it to DD or DD+ or try ARC again.
post #1168 of 1331 Old 12-13-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Another question, I'm going to pick up this TV in a couple of days and getting this TV for a bedroom. The TV stand going to be 4.5-5 feet away from where I'll be sitting at. Which size would you recommend the 55 or 65 and if I do go with the 55inch would I be loosing out on anything? like sub pixel dithering problems or extra features or screen quality etc? Any help would be great for my decision and thank you!

Last edited by squad22345; 12-13-2019 at 12:33 PM.
post #1169 of 1331 Old 12-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Well I'm stumped.

I use HDMI 1 / ARC to a 10 year old Yamaha AVR and it had issues with J0615 but since J1008 no more problems.

I'm confused by the video. Why are there 3 HDMI 1's?

This is how mine looks for comparison.

The HDMI 1 ones you see are all the sources plugged to my receiver and the ones is plugged to the HDMI 1 of the Hisense the problem is the Hisense gets crazy every time I try to change an input on my receiver. I tried to send this video to Hisense but they said they couldn't accept an edited video. how stupid is that.
post #1170 of 1331 Old 12-13-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Is there any way to test this? If this is the case, I need to change it to DD or DD+ or try ARC again.
ARC is onlt 1.5mbps max same as spdif. while HDMI may support LPCM up to 7.1 ( well more with hdmi 2.0 ) ARC does not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arc.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	2653658  

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags