Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 380Likes

post #121 of 1341 Old 08-09-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siladitya Ray View Post
Impressive stuff. A bit of a step up from the Vizio M8 Quantum and TCL R617-615 for for a slightly higher price tag. Nothing miraculous but still a good option under $1k.

The issue though will be availability, I'm guessing they might not have either anticipated the demand or decided to focus more heavily on H8F.

Interesting and concerning to see RTINGS which I have always been suspicious of, clearly coordinating Reviews with timed product availability to consumers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1341 Old 08-09-2019, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Welp UPS delivered my H9F today I bought through Amazon and my fears were realized. The screen was completely smashed. Luckily Best Buy nearby has some in stock now and they can deliver tomorrow which is when the return window ends on my Sony so I'll have to do a lot of comparisons and testing to make a quick decision. Never buying a TV from amazon again.
theboomr likes this.
post #123 of 1341 Old 08-09-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 684
After the Rtings review got released I went out and picked up the 65" H9F today. I recently also got the Sony 65" X950G and have them set-up side-by-side playing the same content through a splitter. Basically the H9F really holds it own against the Sony. Overall the X950G has an obvious edge over the H9F in terms of overall picture quality. With that said, the H9F is easily worth the asking price. The most notable things comparing the two:

- The H9F has better black levels when the screen is mostly black, however the Sony has more depth in mixed content. For example, a star-field looks better on the H9F, but a black tuxedo on a brighter background looks better on the Sony.

- The H9F could use a faster processor. The Sony is much smoother than the H9F when it comes to navigating the menus. If you change picture settings while streaming content it will stutter and freeze. I also have had the H9F completely reset all of my picture settings twice already. I am sure this can be fixed in a firmware update.

- The Sony has better, more natural color. While the H9F has excellent color, it sometimes over exaggerates or under emphasizes when compared to the Sony which seems to always the perfect shade of color in a given scene.

- The Sony clearly has a better upscaling chip. Cable channels look much better on the Sony compared to the H9F.

- The H9F as lower build quality. The Sony is built extremely well and when moved the panel does not flex or wobble. If you shake the H9F the panel will wobble.

- The Sony has excellent uniformity, while the H9F has dark corners and much worse uniformity.

Overall I think the H9F is a great buy. I will be returning it though and keeping my X950G. There is just something about the Sony that the H9F does not have, regardless of tinkering with settings. The Sony looks more like a window into another world, while the H9F reminds you that you are still watching a tv. Motion and upscaling are a big factor and the H9F is lacking in these areas. To get an equivalent upscaler you would be spending near $1k, which brings you to the cost of the X950G.
aaronwt, CaptinCrunch and theboomr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 1341 Old 08-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by squad22345 View Post
I receive the TV yesterday and my box from UPS was pretty underwhelming. I took it anyways hoping the TV itself was in good condition. Right out of the box I saw small a tiny scratch at the top of the TV but I was like screw it, if the panel itself was good, I'll be happy even with the scratches... especially when I return so many TV's this year because it either had scratches on the actual panel, dead pixels all over or insane DSE/Bars (Vizio).

So I had to wait for a friend to come over and help me set it up the next day (had surgery needed help) and once we put it on the TV stand; I power it up. It had a weird yellowish tinted color on the left side of the screen. I check it and saw that the TV frame on the left side was bent outward and the screen was popping out and can see the light from the inside of the TV showing up where the dent was. My friend also looking around as well with me (he has better eyes than I do) and saw that the top part of the screen was chipped off. I'm kind annoyed that Amazon still used UPS for a big 65 inch TV. I order few months ago the LG SM9000 but it was only 55inch and that delivered was from UPS as well but I figure since its a smaller TV its not so bad for UPS to delivered it but when I receive that TV it was oblivious that it was drop on the right side hard because that's where the screen was extremely damage (shattered right comer screen). I REALLY thought Amazon would do a white glove service for big boy 65inch since that would be too big for UPS to handle but NOPE it was STILL delivered by UPS.

BESIDES all the mess, I still wanted to test out the TV and see if I did actually like it before I try to get this TV again once its in stock. When I did turned it on, I tested out the TV and the colors and everything was absolutely AMAZING. Compare to my uncle Sony oled, I really thought it was right up there with it. The motion in this TV was incredible. I tested it out on my PS4 and it felt sooooooooo smooth. I believe the correct MS on this TV was 14ms since someone on Youtube tested it out the other day and he was right, it was so fast and smooth all the time. I did Netflix 4k run and everything look incredible. This TV is a huge sleeper hit and I'm glad to be a Hisense customer and will be buying this TV again once its in stock.

TL;DR:

Games = Incredible. Perfect motion and smoothness. Colors pop out so much I thought it was a 3d TV and was going to be attack by my character in game.

Moves = Incredible. The colors pop out so much in certain scene it was unreal. The blacks were inky and didn't see any blooming until you go to menus etc but actual picture no blooming (weird I know). The TV is really bright and can see details I've never seen before on my older TV.

TV OS = Needs work but workable. I feel like few firmware updates it would run better/smoother but not bad at all.

TV Stand Feet = Best I've seen. It made the TV so balance and wasn't afraid it will titled over my TV stand and break in pieces.

Build Quality = Really well made (besides UPS screwing it up for me) and looks like a top of the line TV from big company's.

PC/Monitor and Games = Incredible (especially when using 1080p 120hz) but need to make custom resolution to make it run 120hz. I played some steam games and it ran butter smooth. I had no problems using this TV as an monitor as well.

TV Speakers = Really good! It filled up the room with sound but still recommend a sound bar for better bass.

TV Remote = Feels cheap but works well. Very very generic remote but it has everything you need.

TV Package = Well packed and everything was neat and understandable.

TV Weight = Not so heavy especially for a 65inch but still need 2 people to be careful with it.

Games tested on this TV with my PS4 Pro: Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Days Gone and FF15.

P.S.

I was having some problems using the forum to upload photos so I'm going to post a IMGUR album link so people could see my condition of my TV. Sorry for my poor English and hope you readers could understand everything that I wrote. If you have any questions please let me know and I'll try my best to answer them correctly.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/aVa8WBU
You said you were able to do a custom resolution to get 120hz on the H9F, can you confirm that that's actually possible? Cause Rtings review says that they could not get the TV to accept any 120hz signal no matter what they tried.
post #125 of 1341 Old 08-09-2019, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
You said you were able to do a custom resolution to get 120hz on the H9F, can you confirm that that's actually possible? Cause Rtings review says that they could not get the TV to accept any 120hz signal no matter what they tried.
I wish I could but I just sent the TV back. Amazon had a UPS return pick up delivery for me because I couldn't bring that back myself into a UPS store. Yes, I did it in fact with 1080p 120hz on my computer. You HAVE to make a custom resolution in order to have 1080p 120hz to work. Sorry I can't send you solid proof but hopefully someone in this thread who has it and can hook up a PC can confirmed this.
theboomr likes this.
post #126 of 1341 Old 08-09-2019, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squad22345 View Post
I wish I could but I just sent the TV back. Amazon had a UPS return pick up delivery for me because I couldn't bring that back myself into a UPS store. Yes, I did it in fact with 1080p 120hz on my computer. You HAVE to make a custom resolution in order to have 1080p 120hz to work. Sorry I can't send you solid proof but hopefully someone in this thread who has it and can hook up a PC can confirmed this.
That makes me feel a bit better about the TV then, cause at least I could do 120hz gaming on my PC, if not on my Xbox One X. Thanks!
post #127 of 1341 Old 08-09-2019, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Rtings.com has the H9F for review. 8.3 mixed not bad..
post #128 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 12:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Rtings.com has the H9F for review. 8.3 mixed not bad..
I think it has raised the bar for the under $1,000 price point.
aaronwt likes this.
post #129 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by troopa138 View Post
I would also much prefer going to a store and buying it there. A Super Walmart is less than a mile away, and (3) Best Buys are within 25 miles from me. That said, none of the Best Buy's in my area stock the H9F's, and they're not yet available from Walmart. I'll likely have mine shipped to the store and if their's any obvious exterior shipping damage, it's far easier to decline acceptance. Obviously, many shoppers don't have the luxury of having a retailer close by.
But the TV took just as long of a trip to get shipped to a store. Unless I'm missing something, and store shipping is much gentler/better then getting things shipped to your home.
post #130 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKem 733 View Post
But the TV took just as long of a trip to get shipped to a store. Unless I'm missing something, and store shipping is much gentler/better then getting things shipped to your home.
I think usually the stuff getting shipped to the store comes in packed nice and tight on a pallet, and those delivery people probably care a little more about keeping the products in good condition, so there's less chance of any individual TVs getting super ****ed up in shipping. Plus when the store has stock in their warehouse they're not going to knowingly give a customer a box that looks all ****ed up for an expensive delicate product like a TV. When it comes right to your door then it's out of the hands of the big box store's supply chain and it's just with UPS/FedEx/whatever, and they give zero ****s about it.

Don't know that for sure but it's just my best guess.
troopa138 likes this.
post #131 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
This TV seems to have some extremely strong points (especially at this price point) but I'm a bit put off by some of the (apparent) color issues and gamma tracking that guy talks about in the review video linked above. In his video, everything on the Hisense has a bit of a yellow or orange tinge to it. If it was an uncalibrated unit I would be less concerned, but the reviewer stated that the set had already been calibrated. However, the RTINGs review didn't seem to think it was much of a problem...
That's not really a big problem...the real problem on the H9F is the uniformity issue.
mark62 likes this.
post #132 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I have Directv, and just bought a vizio P Quantum. I 'm not really all that thrilled with how Directv looks on the Vizio. I get some channels with terrible stuttering, and then look at my older Samsung, and don't notice any judder. For anyone who hasn't cut the cord yet, how does the vizio do with upscaling?
post #133 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidturtle View Post
I have Directv, and just bought a vizio P Quantum. I 'm not really all that thrilled with how Directv looks on the Vizio. I get some channels with terrible stuttering, and then look at my older Samsung, and don't notice any judder. For anyone who hasn't cut the cord yet, how does the vizio do with upscaling?
Vizio is known for poor upscaling on all of their models. They just don't seem to care about it since they get dinged for it in every review.
theboomr likes this.
post #134 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
That's not really a big problem...the real problem on the H9F is the uniformity issue.
Yes, as a sports watcher, DSE is a non-starter for me. Plus, even though Rtings gave the FALD a decent rating, the black crush, loss of small highlights, slow dimming response, and blooming coupled with the inaccurate EOTF tracking is another buzz killer.
post #135 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Yes, as a sports watcher, DSE is a non-starter for me. Plus, even though Rtings gave the FALD a decent rating, the black crush, loss of small highlights, slow dimming response, and blooming coupled with the inaccurate EOTF tracking is another buzz killer.
Yeah I was pretty interested in this TV before it finally got a thorough review but there are too many red flags to call this a truly great deal. Hopefully the hype train is already slowing down now. I suspect a lot of people are going to start waiting for the next TCL for the remainder of the year.
post #136 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
What is the DSE? Sorry, I started reading this site after buying the vizio, and am not up on all of these terms. I watch a ton of football, and am thinking of returning the Vizio and grabbing this hisense, or a Q70, or the Sony 900F. I would say my usage is 60% Directv, 20% gaming, and 20% Netflix or other streaming. I have a Samsung Ks8000 from 2 years ago, and I think that is better than the Vizio with my Directv. The Vizio beats it on streaming HD content though.
post #137 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
You will need a Sony television for the best possible upscaling of cable channels. Preferably one with the X1 ultimate chip or the X1 extreme chip. Your other option is to buy an external upscaling unit, like one from Lumagen, though this will cost quite a bit.
post #138 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
[email protected] this Forum. Nitpicking, for myself at least, a $600 TV. I suppose if you're dumping twenties out of your rear, then yeah....go out and spend 3 times the amount for a TV that is borderline better. Personally, I've had a Hisense for nearly 3 years and it's reliability and strong picture has me sold on the brand. Whether the new tech in the H9F is worth the investment....I guess I won't know till I get one.
sithpuppet likes this.
post #139 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
What is the DSE? Sorry, I started reading this site after buying the vizio, and am not up on all of these terms. I watch a ton of football, and am thinking of returning the Vizio and grabbing this hisense, or a Q70, or the Sony 900F. I would say my usage is 60% Directv, 20% gaming, and 20% Netflix or other streaming. I have a Samsung Ks8000 from 2 years ago, and I think that is better than the Vizio with my Directv. The Vizio beats it on streaming HD content though.
For you to catch up on it. you can always searc on youtube to see it.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...een-effect-dse
post #140 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan View Post
[email protected] this Forum. Nitpicking, for myself at least, a $600 TV. I suppose if you're dumping twenties out of your rear, then yeah....go out and spend 3 times the amount for a TV that is borderline better. Personally, I've had a Hisense for nearly 3 years and it's reliability and strong picture has me sold on the brand. Whether the new tech in the H9F is worth the investment....I guess I won't know till I get one.

Indeed, if you take the advice seriously, you will never buy a TV. My Sammy plasma still humming after these 11 years. The only tv I'm going to buy is a 55" 4k tv for the bedroom, vizio 55 M quantum 558 model if/when Costco ever gets it as they have the 5578 model.

Gone are the old tube tv's with s-video, back then we just bought either sony, mitsubishi, hitatchi,
aaronwt, Diehardfan and sithpuppet like this.
post #141 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DSE = Dirty Screen Effect. Even some high-end Samsungs are afflicted by this. Most noticeable in hockey with the white ice, but also in football. It mostly affects direct-lit TVs including FALD models.
post #142 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
BB has the Hisense 55" H9F. You can add it to your cart.

For me it says Order now and it will be ready for pickup Wed, Aug 21.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hisense...?skuId=6346784
aaronwt and theboomr like this.

Last edited by Chingu808; 08-10-2019 at 12:22 PM.
post #143 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just now ordered ( based on the review in rtings, best buy etc ) the 65" H9F from Best Buy. I came across this forum only after the order. As some peoples are has raised some issues I am bit concerned. I was initially thinking between Vizio P, Quantum and H9F or Sony 900F. Should I switch to Vizio or Sony instead of Hisense H9F?. I will be using it along with a Shield TV. Mainly for Youtube TV (Sports, TV Shows), Netflix, Youtube etc. Might use it for free cable channels via antenna also. Any help is appreciated.
post #144 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Do a search on youtube for fomo on tech and Quantum TV. Both guys are giving their opinions and comparisons to much more expensive TV's! They seem to think its pretty much cats meow for the most part. I believe both are calibrators, I know Quantum TV is.

Heres a couple post of Quantum TV

Last edited by Craigslue; 08-10-2019 at 01:35 PM.
post #145 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the links. I decided to stay with the HiSense H9F. Looks like this is a very good decision based on these youtube videos!.
post #146 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
He has more videos and check Fomo as well. He shows the difference in motion and picture quality including the Vizio Quantum X and Oled and one of the Samsung's. I myself was looking at one of the Vizo Quantum's but both these guys have shown me enough comparisons to other quality TV's to decide I more than likely will steer clear of Vizio's. Really curious on the new TCL TV's especially the new 8 series but I'm thinking they will be over 2000 so likely out of my willingness price range!.
theboomr likes this.
post #147 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 264
after owning both vizio M658 and the H9f, I personally dont see any category that the h9f would be worse in, I dont have any dse and the blooming is better than the vizio I had as well.
theboomr likes this.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #148 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 06:18 PM

I've had the H9f a couple hours now and I've returned my Sony x950g. The overall picture quality on the Sony is far superior but that just wasn't enough to make up for the horrible blooming at that price point. I got lucky in terms of panel lottery as far as uniformity goes. It's pretty comparable to the Sony. The Hisense will do for now until we start seeing new technologies coming out in the near future.
post #149 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 06:49 PM

Wonder if the blooming is worse on the 55 inch given the lower amount of dimming zones. It already looks quite bad on the black uniformity shot in the rtings review.
post #150 of 1341 Old 08-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Rtings is off their rocker. Blooming is nothing on the H9f compared to other TV's and they note it as a negative. But on the x950g they hardly even mention blooming and it's all you can see.
8KCRT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , h9f bootloop , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page