Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

post #181 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JameRetief2005 View Post
You can install the "Smart Youtube TV" app. That one allows you to watch 4K HDR. It's not in the Google Play store, but you can sideload it pretty easily. I saved the APK to my Google Drive, then used a file manager (X-Plore) from the Android TV Play Store to download the file. Installed and worked for me.
Greetings Jame.

The Smart YoutubeTV may be playing the 709 instead of the 2084 version. A screeenshot of Stats for nerds would be helpful.
Many thanks and best regards,
JameRetief2005 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Something to try.

Last edited by Craigslue; 08-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.
post #183 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
I agree that the colors seem off, and it's really difficult to judge TVs side-by-side on YouTube in terms of color and contrast. Just looking at the upscaling though, details seem to be preserved well.

I agree, although I suspect some of the TVs are not setup as proper as they could be for this comparison. The color is so far off I know it's not a youtube quality issue. But I agree the camera can toss things off; but not that far.

There might be some good nuggets of info in here but it's hard for me to lock on to any of them knowing how mismatched everything probably is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoopy View Post
Greetings Jame.

The Smart YoutubeTV may be playing the 709 instead of the 2084 version. A screeenshot of Stats for nerds would be helpful.
I left for work right after I posted on the forum. If someone else hasn't confirmed by the time I get home, I'll upload a screenshot.
post #185 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhyatt5871 View Post
Yes, Vizio's upscaling of lower resolution content is the worst I have seen. With the Sony, I think people are referring to the upscaling of 1080p content, because it does seem to look the best out of the TVs I have seen. Blu-ray movies look fantastic on my X900F. I have seen several other complaints from other AVS Forum users about the upscaling of Directv, Dish, etc, so I know I'm not alone in that. I will say though, the Sony has the best motion I have ever seen on a LCD TV. The great motion paired with the accurate color and deep blacks make all content look good overall.

No TV does everything perfect, but that Hisense looks like it gets a lot of things right, including upscaling. For those who are complaining about the upscaling, I wonder if they just need to make adjustments to some settings.

Not sure if you've seen this video yet, but it compares the upscaling of the H9F with other TVs :
Wow, thx! And yeah, I know no TV is perfect. I found that out very quickly, lol. But Hisense does seem to get a lot right for the price, definitely. Will strongly consider it.
post #186 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quantum is making money from drama and doesn't 'calibrate' anything. He does stuff by eye and his is jaundiced. Clicking this drama queen's vids makes him money while he gives misleading info.
Diehardfan and mark62 like this.
post #187 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 37
post #188 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Quantum is making money from drama and doesn't 'calibrate' anything. He does stuff by eye and his is jaundiced. Clicking this drama queen's vids makes him money while he gives misleading info.

He's pretty bad, but at least he's entertaining. I never take his advice, nor should anyone, but I like listening to his passionate opinion. I just feel bad for anyone who he's suckered, haha.
post #189 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
He's pretty bad, but at least he's entertaining. I never take his advice, nor should anyone, but I like listening to his passionate opinion. I just feel bad for anyone who he's suckered, haha.
Heh, gotta love his latest. Let's shut off all net access so we don't have to deal with an update. Really? Because your sound bar isn't working with the TV like you would like? LOL, great idea. Let's render the Android system useless. Without question, the last of his videos I will ever watch.
post #190 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post

Despite his opinions is this tv the best of the lot between, tcl 6 series/vizio m 558. Due to limited health conditions, I can't go anywhere to purchase this and i don't want it shipped from Amazon. Thank you.
post #191 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Calibrated? To what? How about, 'I like these souped up settings.'
post #192 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Greetings Jame.

Here are the photos showing all of the info about the Smart Youtube TV app....

Just the app displayed on the home screen...

Once selected you have a choice of launchers within the app. Pro Main is what I use...

The video option used for playback...

And lastly the stats of the video...

Edit: switched to smaller images
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by JameRetief2005; 08-18-2019 at 07:19 PM.
post #193 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 PM

Thank you Jame. Very kind of you to post the screenshot.
Can you also kindly check if it can handle the opus audio format?
post #194 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you Jame. Very kind of you to post the screenshot.
Can you also kindly check if it can handle the opus audio format?
Here you go...

Last edited by JameRetief2005; 08-18-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #195 of 392 Old 08-14-2019, 11:01 PM

Wonderful. Much obliged.
Now it remains to be seen if Netflix 4K HDR is supported.
post #196 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Getting the 55" on Saturday hopefully. I'm very excited to play with it.
aaronwt and theboomr like this.
post #197 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Wonderful. Much obliged.
None of the buttons on my remote bring up the stat screen in the Netflix app so I don't think there is a way to access the actual stats within the Neflix app itself to see what their algorithm is actually streaming the content at. I am subscribed to the Netflix family plan which allows 4k streaming, I see the tags on the individual titles which indicate UHD 4K or Dolby Vision availability, and I am getting Dolby Vision on enabled titles. Ozark is a 4k title with Dolby Vision, so I used that as a test feed...

theboomr likes this.

Last edited by JameRetief2005; 08-18-2019 at 07:13 PM.
post #198 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 12:22 PM

Thanks again Jame.
If HDR/DV titles are available on the netflix app, then I suppose it is not a deprecated version. This is great news.
So the next challenge is to find an outlet that has it in stock.
post #199 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else having issues with blacks looking artifact or having a grain to them? Ive tried all sorts of settings and cant seem to get it to go away. It doesn’t appear to happen all the time either. Is it possible its the source causing this (Netflix/Vudu 4k with a fast internet connection). Here are some pics of what in talking about. This is from Our Planet on Netflix (Apologies for the reflection!)

https://imgur.com/a/532o8yf
post #200 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcDougal View Post
Anyone else having issues with blacks looking artifact or having a grain to them? Ive tried all sorts of settings and cant seem to get it to go away. It doesn’t appear to happen all the time either. Is it possible its the source causing this (Netflix/Vudu 4k with a fast internet connection). Here are some pics of what in talking about. This is from Our Planet on Netflix (Apologies for the reflection!)

To my eye that just looks like a very strong (overly strong) film grain effect. Have you watched that title on other TVs to know whether it always looks that way or not?
post #201 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Quote:

To my eye that just looks like a very strong (overly strong) film grain effect. Have you watched that title on other TVs to know whether it always looks that way or not?
I have not. Ill do that to see what happens. It may be source related because some videos look absolutely amazing and have the best looking blacks, others it seems the tv really struggles to process them
post #202 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 03:21 PM

Found a video to really shows what im seeing at times. Anyone else getting a good bit of cloudiness at the beginning of this video?

https://youtu.be/JLT4Oz5XRbc
post #203 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Found a video to really shows what im seeing at times. Anyone else getting a good bit of cloudiness at the beginning of this video?

On my monitor at work (which is pretty crap) the blacks are definitely not very deep and kinda gray or cloudy, but it does not look grainy at all like it does in your picture. Maybe there's some setting about noise reduction or something that should be adjusted?
post #204 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Quote:

On my monitor at work (which is pretty crap) the blacks are definitely not very deep and kinda gray or cloudy, but it does not look grainy at all like it does in your picture. Maybe there's some setting about noise reduction or something that should be adjusted?
Just noticed im seeing the grain in dark spots in the beginning of episode 2 of Stranger Things. Ive already tried every setting i know to reduce this. So weird
post #205 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 102
55” H9F Review.

No HDR in YouTube automatically a deal breaker.
Dolby Vision and HDR not popping up in Netflix app
3 of 4 corners darkened and yellowed let’s hope this goes away.
No Wide Color Option colors don’t Pop
Can not in any Way access Stats in YouTube or Netflix to see if I’m streaming in 4K

Motion 120Hz panel and Gaming are fine.
It’s plenty bright brighter than my 55” LG C9
Menu interface and switching are acceptable in speed.

I’ll give this TV a week. But wow my first hour is pretty bad.

Also Picture Mode for YouTube and Netflix is Stuck in Wide Aspect Ratio and option to change is Greyed out no matter what I do. Please help.
post #206 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:

This video looks terrible on both my X950G and my Dell ultra sharp. Very grainy with tons of macro-blocking.
post #207 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wonderful. Much obliged.

Netflix 4K HDR is Not supported no matter what I do. I also can’t get Netflix stats to display I’ve hit every button every Menu. Lastly #1 . Deal break throw it out the window tonight is that Netflix is stuck in WIDE and I can’t fix this.

Every TV I have ever owned. Has an Aspect Ratio button or Menu. Not on the H9F, Netflix stuck in WIDE mode.
post #208 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
1. Turn Overscan on to change the aspect ratio.
2. Select the insect icon to see stats in YouTube.
3. HDR through the built in YouTube app and Xbox One app does not appear to be supported unfortunately. Perhaps this will be changed in a future update.
squad22345 likes this.
post #209 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
55” H9F Review.

No HDR in YouTube automatically a deal breaker.
Dolby Vision and HDR not popping up in Netflix app
3 of 4 corners darkened and yellowed let’s hope this goes away.
No Wide Color Option colors don’t Pop
Can not in any Way access Stats in YouTube or Netflix to see if I’m streaming in 4K

Motion 120Hz panel and Gaming are fine.
It’s plenty bright brighter than my 55” LG C9
Menu interface and switching are acceptable in speed.

I’ll give this TV a week. But wow my first hour is pretty bad.

Also Picture Mode for YouTube and Netflix is Stuck in Wide Aspect Ratio and option to change is Greyed out no matter what I do. Please help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Netflix 4K HDR is Not supported no matter what I do. I also can’t get Netflix stats to display I’ve hit every button every Menu. Lastly #1 . Deal break throw it out the window tonight is that Netflix is stuck in WIDE and I can’t fix this.

Every TV I have ever owned. Has an Aspect Ratio button or Menu. Not on the H9F, Netflix stuck in WIDE mode.
You can easily sideload the "Smart Youtube TV" app for HDR Youtube videos. From what I've read, it appears that Netflix has removed the access to the stats info in the TV version of the app.

The various other issues you are describing; no Dolby Vision logo in Netflix, the stuck wide ratio, and the no stats for nerds info in Youtube, all sound like some kind of operating system configuration issue to me. I'm having none of those issues and I would assume there is no difference between the 65" and the 55". I would initiate a factory reset to see if the problems persist beyond the initial installation. Also, have you checked for or received a system update?

All FALD screens will have some minor corner darkening, but if it is particularly dark and you are seeing yellow discoloration I would speculate that you might have received a bad panel.

Edit:

Is this setting available to you when you open the Picture settings from the Home Screen (not when in an app)?

It should give you these options...

theboomr likes this.

Last edited by JameRetief2005; 08-18-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #210 of 392 Old 08-15-2019, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameRetief2005 View Post
You can easily sideload the "Smart Youtube TV" app for HDR Youtube videos. From what I've read, it appears that Netflix has removed the access to the stats info in the TV version of the app.

The various other issues you are describing; no Dolby Vision logo in Netflix, the stuck wide ratio, and the no stats for nerds info in Youtube, all sound like some kind of operating system configuration issue to me. I'm having none of those issues and I would assume there is no difference between the 65" and the 55". I would initiate a factory reset to see if the problems persist beyond the initial installation. Also, have you checked for or received a system update?

All FALD screens will have some minor corner darkening, but if it is particularly dark and you are seeing yellow discoloration I would speculate that you might have received a bad panel.

Edit:

Is this setting available to you when you open the Picture settings from the Home Screen (not when in an app)?

It should give you these options...

I’ll keep trying but I encourage anyone to try out Game Mode Vs Vivid. There is something seriously wrong with the H9F when Game mode looks like someone smeared Vaseline all over your game. Vs hit Vivid mode and it looks amazing crisp and sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page