Official Hisense H9F series 55" & 65" Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 183Likes

post #211 of 414 Old 08-15-2019, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
I’ll keep trying but I encourage anyone to try out Game Mode Vs Vivid. There is something seriously wrong with the H9F when Game mode looks like someone smeared Vaseline all over your game. Vs hit Vivid mode and it looks amazing crisp and sharp.
I am not sure what problem you may be having but these were not issues I experienced at all. The H9F looked fantastic in Game mode. If anything Vivid looked blown out like most Vivid modes.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 414 Old 08-15-2019, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I’ll keep trying but I encourage anyone to try out Game Mode Vs Vivid. There is something seriously wrong with the H9F when Game mode looks like someone smeared Vaseline all over your game. Vs hit Vivid mode and it looks amazing crisp and sharp.

I mean... Vivid is garbage. By vaseline, do you mean a more natural, native picture with less processing? I'm sure Vivid has the sharpness pumped, which... is absolutely no good.
post #213 of 414 Old 08-16-2019, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Switching settings?

Why does the TV automatically keep optimizing the picture settings depending on what you are watching? As an example, when you switch to a sporting event, a pop up displays indicating something like "optimizing for sports" (sorry not in front of tv at the moment) and you can visually see the picture change. Is this a feature that can be turned off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 414 Old 08-16-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccusk View Post
Why does the TV automatically keep optimizing the picture settings depending on what you are watching? As an example, when you switch to a sporting event, a pop up displays indicating something like "optimizing for sports" (sorry not in front of tv at the moment) and you can visually see the picture change. Is this a feature that can be turned off?
Yes.
post #215 of 414 Old 08-16-2019, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I wonder if it is anything like the H8F, in Game Mode HDR there is significant color banding. It just looks horrible and Hisense hasn't released an update to fix it yet. So I have to use the standard Theater HDR picture mode.
post #216 of 414 Old 08-16-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBristol View Post
I wonder if it is anything like the H8F, in Game Mode HDR there is significant color banding. It just looks horrible and Hisense hasn't released an update to fix it yet. So I have to use the standard Theater HDR picture mode.

Update: I’ve tried everything inside of Native Apps like YouTube and Netflix I can not change the TVs aspect ratio from Wide. As posted above. Same apps from an Xbox One or Apple TV 4K no problem. With that being said, HDR will not kick in under any circumstances I have yet to see an HDR icon on the top right Dolby Vision yes. I’ve tried factory resets and Being fully Signed In to All Google Services. If anyone has any suggestions how Native on board Apps can change aspect ratio I’d be very appreciative.

I’d really like some feedback on Game Mode, why does it make the image so blurry ?
post #217 of 414 Old 08-16-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Update: I’ve tried everything inside of Native Apps like YouTube and Netflix I can not change the TVs aspect ratio from Wide. As posted above. Same apps from an Xbox One or Apple TV 4K no problem. With that being said, HDR will not kick in under any circumstances I have yet to see an HDR icon on the top right Dolby Vision yes. I’ve tried factory resets and Being fully Signed In to All Google Services. If anyone has any suggestions how Native on board Apps can change aspect ratio I’d be very appreciative.

I’d really like some feedback on Game Mode, why does it make the image so blurry ?
It really sounds like you get a defective set. I experienced none of your issues.
post #218 of 414 Old 08-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

Have you tried factory resetting the TV yet? It's definitely possible you got a bad panel with your description of how bad Game Mode looks, but the other things about no HDR logo and not being able to change the aspect ratio sound like they could just be software glitches, and it's possible you could fix them with a factory reset.
post #219 of 414 Old 08-16-2019, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Update: I’ve tried everything inside of Native Apps like YouTube and Netflix I can not change the TVs aspect ratio from Wide. As posted above. Same apps from an Xbox One or Apple TV 4K no problem.
Try changing the aspect ratio from the Settings menu on the Home screen, not while you are in the apps. See if that works for you.

Quote:
With that being said, HDR will not kick in under any circumstances I have yet to see an HDR icon on the top right Dolby Vision
Do you see the "Ultra 4K" or "Dolby Vision" tag in the Netflix description of whatever you are trying to watch? If you don't see either of those tags in the description before you play the title, then you aren't going to get either when you play it. If you only see the "HD" tag in the description you'll only be streaming at 1080.
post #220 of 414 Old 08-16-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Have you tried factory resetting the TV yet? It's definitely possible you got a bad panel with your description of how bad Game Mode looks, but the other things about no HDR logo and not being able to change the aspect ratio sound like they could just be software glitches, and it's possible you could fix them with a factory reset.

Well she’s back in the box on her way back to bestbuy I tried all suggestions.

Let me know if anyone gets HDR to function (I’d like to see a screenshot of the HDR logo on this set) Via Native Apps like Google Play videos just won’t play or Activate HDR when playing HDR 4K videos.
(HDMI connected devices function fine)

And secondly, Native Apps (like Prime Video, Netflix etc.) under no circumstances can I change it from Wide Aspect Ratio. On any setting. (Devices connected via HDMI change aspect ratio just fine)
post #221 of 414 Old 08-16-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Well I know for sure I get hdr10 from plex, kodi and dolby vision in netflix.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #222 of 414 Old 08-16-2019, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Well she’s back in the box on her way back to bestbuy I tried all suggestions.

Let me know if anyone gets HDR to function (I’d like to see a screenshot of the HDR logo on this set) Via Native Apps like Google Play videos just won’t play or Activate HDR when playing HDR 4K videos.

And secondly, Native Apps (like Prime Video, Netflix etc.) under no circumstances can I change it from Wide Aspect Ratio. On any setting. (Devices connected via HDMI change aspect ratio just fine)
On the H8F, I've never seen an HDR badge pop up like with Dolby Vision. But if you check your picture settings you'll see that it is running in the HDR Picture Mode.
post #223 of 414 Old 08-17-2019, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post

Well she’️s back in the box on her way back to bestbuy I tried all suggestions.

Let me know if anyone gets HDR to function (I’️d like to see a screenshot of the HDR logo on this set) Via Native Apps like Google Play videos just won’️t play or Activate HDR when playing HDR 4K videos.

I dont get an HDR logo but i can tell its working because when comparing the built in Youtube app to my roku 4k (non hdr), the pop on the colors is incredible and makes non hdr look like ass
post #224 of 414 Old 08-17-2019, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I too think that game mode and especially HDR game looks kinda washed out and dull, especially compared to my TCL 6 series from last year. Nothing really pops no matter what I try. It just has an overall look kind of like when your gamma is set too high.

I will play with it for a week and see if I get happy with it. Hopefully someone on here will have some spectacular HDR settings

Last edited by samoth84; 08-17-2019 at 08:19 PM.
post #225 of 414 Old 08-17-2019, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth84 View Post
I too think that game mode and especially HDR game looks kinda washed out and dull, especially compared to my TCL 6 series from last year. Nothing really pops no matter what I try. It just has an overall look kind of like when your gamma is set too high.

I will play with it for a week and see if I get happy with it. Hopefully someone on here will have some spectacular HDR settings
I don't know if there is a panel variance issue that might be causing a problem for some, but the panel I have is, without having performed a calibration, giving me a pretty accurate and wide color experience in HDR Game mode after some very minor adjustments. Definitely not washed out or dull. I'll post screenshots of my picture settings and let you give them a try. The "Calibration Settings" are all at their default levels, so I did not include a screenshot of those, just reset your settings there if you've changed any of them yourself.

Edit: switched to smaller images

Last edited by JameRetief2005; 08-18-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #226 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Haven’t seen too much on the H9F 55”. Any reviews out there for the 55in? How is the local dimming since it has less zones? How is the blooming and picture compared to what everyone is saying about the 65in?
post #227 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rns_1217 View Post
Haven’t seen too much on the H9F 55”. Any reviews out there for the 55in? How is the local dimming since it has less zones? How is the blooming and picture compared to what everyone is saying about the 65in?
My 55” H9F was a dud. It happens I would have kept it for not.

#1 . 3 of 4 edge borders were yellow like bad.
#2 . Several Updates and Factory Data Resets onboard Netflix and YouTube could not be switched out of WIDE mode.
#3 . Game Mode made everything Blurry, can’t explain it just not crisp like the other modes.
#4 . New 55” TCL R625 Announced On 8-15-19 will have ALLM and VRR and QLED and 100 Zones. Will give that a try
#5 . No HDR support in HDR supported films Dolby Vision did engage but on movies I know are HDR10 coded. At 4K the TV would give me no indication that HDR was engaged.

When she was working, like via HDMI Roku 4K Netflix watching Lost in Space 4K Dolby Vision enabled. Many Wow Moments were had. But for the same price the new TCL R625 55” will have Roku built in and serious Gaming Features.
post #228 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 07:25 AM

It looks like my 65” H9F is going back. It appears that the edges are turning dark/yellow all around the edges and this is new. Very disappointed....do I exchange or get something else?

https://imgur.com/a/uNjyiBZ
post #229 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have the 55" and here are my thoughts and some insight since everyone's attention seems to be on the 65". I am primarily using it with a PC for gaming & PS4. Calibrated it with an i1 (150% sRGB/95% DCI-P3) and out the box it's actually very accurate in the "Low" color preset which is closest to 6500K white.

The Panel itself:

-Corners and edges are yellow (doesn't bother me).
-Moderate DSE but much cleaner than any of the TCL R617's I tried. Comparable to Q8FN/P55-F1.
-No pixel dithering/BGR
-Overall black levels with FALD off are very impressive as is black uniformity.
-Does 1080p/120hz via forced resolution using CRU. 1440p/120hz is accepted but it only displays it at 60hz (maybe firmware update required).

The FALD:

-Is extremely aggressive even on lower settings and can not keep up with fast movement but I've only seen this have any real world impact on test videos. Real world it's not a issue.
-Zone transitions are not as smooth as Samsung/Sony but it's not a big deal.
-Subtitles will cause the typical FALD "bloom" as they come and go.
-Overall the zone count (10x10 = 100) compensates for it's inferior algorithm compared to the Q8FN I had.

What I hate:

-The software is a buggy/busted mess. The TV did 2 firmware updates on it's own within an hour of powering on. Sometimes my settings reset, sometimes I get crazy input lag and need to switch out and back into game mode, etc. It's just not a polished experience right now.
-The backlight/brightness control is convoluted and dumb. With local dimming enabled, the TV will not allow you to adjust backlight. You have to disable it and then have access to backlight setting, change as desired and then re enable local dimming. Seems like they really want you to use the light sensor.
-Insane amount of overshoot/inverse ghosting. Hisense went nuts with the pixel overdrive for dark transitions. Playing any game with dark content results in disgusting inverse ghosting everywhere.

If I used this TV strictly for media consumption (Movies, shows, etc), it's a keeper. HDR performance is impressive as is color. The TV has some of the blackest blacks I've seen in a while. Since I'm primarily a gamer the deal breaker is the inverse ghosting/overshoot and as a result I will be returning it. I don't want to discourage people because not everyone will even notice it but once it's seen it can't be unseen. Also, I really don't want to wait for Hisense to get the software together.
aaronwt and theboomr like this.
post #230 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:

#2 . Several Updates and Factory Data Resets onboard Netflix and YouTube could not be switched out of WIDE mode.
#3 . Game Mode made everything Blurry, can’t explain it just not crisp like the other modes.
#4 . New 55” TCL R625 Announced On 8-15-19 will have ALLM and VRR and QLED and 100 Zones. Will give that a try
#5 . No HDR support in HDR supported films Dolby Vision did engage but on movies I know are HDR10 coded. At 4K the TV would give me no indication that HDR was engaged.

When she was working, like via HDMI Roku 4K Netflix watching Lost in Space 4K Dolby Vision enabled. Many Wow Moments were had. But for the same price the new TCL R625 55” will have Roku built in and serious Gaming Features.
Yeah, decided mine is going back too unfortunately. Game mode just does not look good at all and the tv does not do enough better than my TCL 6 series from last year.

The TCL just gets brighter and more colorful in HDR especially. Too bad, I really wanted the Hisense to blow me away.
post #231 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcDougal View Post
It looks like my 65” H9F is going back. It appears that the edges are turning dark/yellow all around the edges and this is new. Very disappointed....do I exchange or get something else?

https://imgur.com/a/uNjyiBZ

Mine were the same, just 100% NOT acceptable at any price point. Most of the H9F issues can be fixed via Firmware Update.
post #232 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 10:44 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

yellow edges? I see corners are alittle dark on white background but doesnt look yellow to me. have yet to try game mode though.
post #233 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Bestbuy is out the 65” H9F so i cant do an exchange. What TV should i go for now?
post #234 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Bestbuy is out the 65” H9F so i cant do an exchange. What TV should i go for now?

The 2019 TCL 6 Series should be coming out very soon and they added Quantum Dots to the new sets. Might be a good contender against H9F. Not sure if the new TCL is a 60 or 120hz panel though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #235 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe wait and see what TCL is putting out since it's at the same price point?
post #236 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjames19 View Post
The 2019 TCL 6 Series should be coming out very soon and they added Quantum Dots to the new sets. Might be a good contender against H9F. Not sure if the new TCL is a 60 or 120hz panel though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60hz
post #237 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticGrand View Post
I have the 55" and here are my thoughts and some insight since everyone's attention seems to be on the 65". I am primarily using it with a PC for gaming & PS4. Calibrated it with an i1 (150% sRGB/95% DCI-P3) and out the box it's actually very accurate in the "Low" color preset which is closest to 6500K white.

The Panel itself:

-Corners and edges are yellow (doesn't bother me).
-Moderate DSE but much cleaner than any of the TCL R617's I tried. Comparable to Q8FN/P55-F1.
-No pixel dithering/BGR
-Overall black levels with FALD off are very impressive as is black uniformity.
-Does 1080p/120hz via forced resolution using CRU. 1440p/120hz is accepted but it only displays it at 60hz (maybe firmware update required).

The FALD:

-Is extremely aggressive even on lower settings and can not keep up with fast movement but I've only seen this have any real world impact on test videos. Real world it's not a issue.
-Zone transitions are not as smooth as Samsung/Sony but it's not a big deal.
-Subtitles will cause the typical FALD "bloom" as they come and go.
-Overall the zone count (10x10 = 100) compensates for it's inferior algorithm compared to the Q8FN I had.

What I hate:

-The software is a buggy/busted mess. The TV did 2 firmware updates on it's own within an hour of powering on. Sometimes my settings reset, sometimes I get crazy input lag and need to switch out and back into game mode, etc. It's just not a polished experience right now.
-The backlight/brightness control is convoluted and dumb. With local dimming enabled, the TV will not allow you to adjust backlight. You have to disable it and then have access to backlight setting, change as desired and then re enable local dimming. Seems like they really want you to use the light sensor.
-Insane amount of overshoot/inverse ghosting. Hisense went nuts with the pixel overdrive for dark transitions. Playing any game with dark content results in disgusting inverse ghosting everywhere.

If I used this TV strictly for media consumption (Movies, shows, etc), it's a keeper. HDR performance is impressive as is color. The TV has some of the blackest blacks I've seen in a while. Since I'm primarily a gamer the deal breaker is the inverse ghosting/overshoot and as a result I will be returning it. I don't want to discourage people because not everyone will even notice it but once it's seen it can't be unseen. Also, I really don't want to wait for Hisense to get the software together.
Can you explain what you mean by "inverse ghosting" ? Haven't heard the term before. Is it kinda like motion blur?
post #238 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
. New 55” TCL R625 Announced On 8-15-19 will have ALLM and VRR and QLED and 100 Zones. Will give that a try
Wait, the TCL 625 has ALLM and VRR? That would be a game changer if so!
post #239 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc44135 View Post
Wait, the TCL 625 has ALLM and VRR? That would be a game changer if so!
No, pretty sure it doesn't have VRR, but it will have ALLM

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
post #240 of 414 Old 08-18-2019, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc44135 View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "inverse ghosting" ? Haven't heard the term before. Is it kinda like motion blur?
Yes here is the UFO pursuit camera picture directly from the TV (you can test yourself @ https://www.testufo.com/ghosting).

Notice the inverse "ghost" behind the moving UFO's. Now imagine that across your entire screen covering everything.

This TV's overdrive tuning is absolute garbage. I would take a short black/blurry trail over this ghosting all day. It makes dark games unplayable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghosting.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	2604566  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
5.1 , hisense h9f , Netflix , plex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version