Samsung 75” Q90R QLED TV Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes
post #1 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Samsung 75” Q90R QLED TV Review

Samsung’s Q90R QLED is the company’s flagship 4K TV for 2019. It offers excellent picture quality, slick design and advanced smart functionality. Thanks to new technologies including Ultra Viewing Angle along with Direct Full Array Elite FALD backlight, the Q90R offers an amazing viewing experience.

Click this link to read the review.
js950 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 43
An excellent TV with cutting edge gaming features but no eARC for Atmos audio systems... you see the irony right?
post #3 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
An excellent TV with cutting edge gaming features but no eARC for Atmos audio systems... you see the irony right?
Just got off the phone with Samsung. It absolutely is coming via firmware, just no date set.
WannaBinHD and BRAC like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2081 Post(s)
Liked: 2083
A few years ago I told myself I would never buy a non-OLED TV again, but LCD is seriously closing the gap and those peak brightness levels are so important with HDR.
post #5 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Just got off the phone with Samsung. It absolutely is coming via firmware, just no date set.
A feature as small as eARC can make all the difference. Let's hope it happens this year for many Samsung models and not just the flagships.
post #6 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Samsung’s Q90R QLED is the company’s flagship 4K TV for 2019. It offers excellent picture quality, slick design and advanced smart functionality. Thanks to new technologies including Ultra Viewing Angle along with Direct Full Array Elite FALD backlight, the Q90R offers an amazing viewing experience.

Mark, you contradict your own review of the Q900 where you stated "After seeing the TV operating in various picture modes and playing my own content, it became clear that Samsung’s 2019 Q900 series are its best TVs ever."

Now, according to your review of the 75 Q90 it offers "Samsung’s best 4K picture quality".

So which is it?

Does AVS do any critical reviews where the device under test doesn't receive a 'top choice' award? AVS is an awesome spot for the community to come together but I can't help but roll my eyes when I go to the product review page- those are a lot of check marks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVS Review Page.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	2600296  
Schwa and Ozymandis like this.
post #7 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
Mark, you contradict your own review of the Q900 where you stated "After seeing the TV operating in various picture modes and playing my own content, it became clear that Samsung’s 2019 Q900 series are its best TVs ever."

Now, according to your review of the 75 Q90 it offers "Samsung’s best 4K picture quality".

So which is it?

Does AVS do any critical reviews where the device under test doesn't receive a 'top choice' award? AVS is an awesome spot for the community to come together but I can't help but roll my eyes when I go to the product review page- those are a lot of check marks
One is the best Samsung series ever and is 8K the other is the best 4K TV series Samsung has made. How is that confusing?

Hisense H8F got "Recommended" not "Top Choice" and so did Vizio P Series Quantum and Sony X900F, but for the most part I've been reviewing Top Choice selections lately. So what?
KidHorn, pbz06, ababcock and 2 others like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-07-2019 at 09:26 AM.
post #8 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Mark - Great review... Is it a negative that this TV and other Samsungs don't support Dolby Vision? Or is it negligible due to the advanced built in HDR processing? The reason I ask is because most 4K movies and shows on Netflix and Apple TV 4K come in Dolby Vision and I wonder if the Sony equivalent would be a better buy since it includes it?
Brian Hampton likes this.

TV: 65'' Samsung KS8000; AVR: Denon AVR X-4500H; Center Channel: Polk Signature S-35; L/R Channels: Polk Signature S-20; LFE: SVS-SB3000; UHD Blu-Ray Player: Sony UBP-X800; Gaming: PS4 Pro; Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K
post #9 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbgator View Post
Mark - Great review... Is it a negative that this TV and other Samsungs don't support Dolby Vision? Or is it negligible due to the advanced built in HDR processing? The reason I ask is because most 4K movies and shows on Netflix and Apple TV 4K come in Dolby Vision and I wonder if the Sony equivalent would be a better buy since it includes it?
It's not a major issue because this TV renders HDR10 well. One can only hypothesize about what difference Dolby Vision might make, but it won't be in the form of more bandwidth whether it's disc or streaming and to me that's the make-or-break, not so much whether scene optimization is automatic and done by the TV, or a result of dynamic metadata. The key thing is this TV surpasses 1000 nits and can hold that brightness.

So here's where things get really subjective. IMO, the anti-relfective screen, combined with the improvement in viewing angles, when combined with the large screen, are the factors that allow this TV to stand out. I feel this makes a larger contribution to the overall viewing experience, under more circumstances, than having Dolby Vision. Since there is no EXCLUSIVELY Dolby Vision content (ever since Vudu added HDR10) it's not like you miss out on content for not having it.

OK so having said all that, it sure would be nice if Samsung just bit the bullet and adopted Dolby Vision like everyone else. It certainly would be great, but that is not happening and that fact in no way stops me from recommending this TV anyhow.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #10 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
It seems every Samsung TV Mark reviews is the best ever.

Some observations from the review:

"Samsung’s Q90 uses a Direct Full Array 16X FALD backlight" - What exactly does this Samsung marketing term even mean?

"Not only does the Q90 have a 120 Hz panel" - Most mid-level LCDs are 120 Hz and all high-end LCDs are so what's the big deal?

"it also offer VRR (variable refresh rate)" - So do many other 2018 and 2019 Samsung TVs, even some non QLEDs. This is now pretty much a standard feature of higher-end Samsung TVs.

"Unlike OLED TVs, there is no visible color shift when viewing off-axis." - Rtings noted a color shift at 37°, color washout at 32°, and brightness loss at 42°. Very good for a VA panel, but not perfect as the review states. They measured better overall performance with the 2018 Sony Z9F with color shift at 38°, color washout at 49°, and brightness loss at 48°.

"Ultra Viewing Angle technology is a major leap forward for VA-LCD FALD TV picture quality" - Sony actually came up with wide-angle VA panels in 2018 with the Z9F, and both they and Samsung use it in several models.

"The Movie mode on the Q90 is quite accurate right out of the box" - Rtings found it quite inaccurate right out of the box. Rtings actually found my cheap Samsung NU6900 to be much more accurate right out of the box, and slightly more accurate after calibration.

"Not only is color accurate, it also covers a very wide gamut" - The color gamut is very good, but Rtings found the 2018 Q8FN and Q9FN to have a wider color gamut as well as greater color volume. So a bit of a step back from last year's models.

Having seen the Q90R I agree that it is a very fine TV (as has every other review of it) so there's really no need for all this hype and exaggerations in the review.
Panson and Schwa like this.
post #11 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
It seems every Samsung TV Mark reviews is the best ever.

Some observations from the review:

"Samsung’s Q90 uses a Direct Full Array 16X FALD backlight" - What exactly does this Samsung marketing term even mean?

"Not only does the Q90 have a 120 Hz panel" - Most mid-level LCDs are 120 Hz and all high-end LCDs are so what's the big deal?

"it also offer VRR (variable refresh rate)" - So do many other 2018 and 2019 Samsung TVs, even some non QLEDs. This is now pretty much a standard feature of higher-end Samsung TVs.

"Unlike OLED TVs, there is no visible color shift when viewing off-axis." - Rtings noted a color shift at 37°, color washout at 32°, and brightness loss at 42°. Very good for a VA panel, but not perfect as the review states. They measured better overall performance with the 2018 Sony Z9F with color shift at 38°, color washout at 49°, and brightness loss at 48°.

"Ultra Viewing Angle technology is a major leap forward for VA-LCD FALD TV picture quality" - Sony actually came up with wide-angle VA panels in 2018 with the Z9F, and both they and Samsung use it in several models.

"The Movie mode on the Q90 is quite accurate right out of the box" - Rtings found it quite inaccurate right out of the box. Rtings actually found my cheap Samsung NU6900 to be much more accurate right out of the box, and slightly more accurate after calibration.

"Not only is color accurate, it also covers a very wide gamut" - The color gamut is very good, but Rtings found the 2018 Q8FN and Q9FN to have a wider color gamut as well as greater color volume. So a bit of a step back from last year's models.

Having seen the Q90R I agree that it is a very fine TV (as has every other review of it) so there's really no need for all this hype and exaggerations in the review.
What past models would you suggest are better? It is common for the latest flagship products of any company to be their "best ever" so maybe just get over it?

Or maybe just write your own reviews, like you kinda/sorta did here???
ldsavow and ddcook10 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Mark,

Thanks for this review. Nicely done.

Did your contact at Samsung say anything about ATSC 3.0 tuners? With the roll-out in progress, some of us (hand raised) would really like to see these showing up in flagship sets.

Also, does the eARC update imply support of HDMI 2.1?

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #13 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
What past models would you suggest are better? It is common for the latest flagship products of any company to be their "best ever" so maybe just get over it?

Or maybe just write your own reviews, like you kinda/sorta did here???
Dave mentioned an area I'm interested in.

Quote:

There's definitely some give-and-take with regard to Samsung's Ultra Viewing Angle and Sony's X-Wide Angle. The take being contrast.

These companies list these panels as VA. I'm wondering if they should be listed as Multi-domain VA (MVA), as Panasonic has listed their top-of-the-line LCD for 2019. The remainder of 2019 Panasonic LCDs are IPS. Too bad for both in my view.

I don't want any take from contrast. Cheers!

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

Last edited by Panson; 08-07-2019 at 01:14 PM.
post #14 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Dave mentioned an area I'm interested in.

There's definitely some give-and-take with regard to Samsung's Ultra Viewing Angle and Sony's X-Wide Angle. The take being contrast.

These companies list these panels as VA. I'm wondering if they should be listed as Mult-domain VA (MVA), as Panasonic has listed their top-of-the-line LCD for 2019. The remainder of 2019 Panasonic LCDs are IPS. Too bad for both in my view.

I don't want any take from contrast. Cheers!
I guess he took my comment "Unlike OLED TVs, there is no visible color shift when viewing off-axis" as synonymous with "perfect" but aside from micro-LED I have not seen "perfect" off-axis response since plasma days. I mean a more general "from typical viewing angles any color shift is not perceptible."

Indeed, I'll add exactly that wording to the review and also take away "OLED" from that bullet point since other LCDs also have color shift issues.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-07-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #15 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Mark,

I own an 82Q90 and find it to be one fantastic set. While I am as enthusiastic as you are, I struggle with your comments about the one issue I have with my set. With an HDR image, and a bright light next to a scope bar, I see some light bleed. I think it is the price you pay for the high HDR nit level an LED can obtain.

If you have settings that can eliminate this for dark room viewing I'd love to try them.
Mudslide and gimpygod like this.
post #16 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Mark,

I own an 82Q90 and find it to be one fantastic set. While I am as enthusiastic as you are, I struggle with your comments about the one issue I have with my set. With an HDR image, and a bright light next to a scope bar, I see some light bleed. I think it is the price you pay for the high HDR nit level an LED can obtain.

If you have settings that can eliminate this for dark room viewing I'd love to try them.
I've come to the conclusion that I am not as critical as some (including many members here) about light bleed into letterbox bars. As long as I'm not distracted by it while watching a movie, I'm good. I presume some happens with HDR on the Q90, but I don't notice it. I've heard similar feedback with other TVs I've reviewed. But my understanding is, beyond my own subjective take, this TV model is generally considered a good performaer (for a FALD LCD) in this regard. I'm sure if I found the right scene and pressed pause I'd see it, and I know from experience I can measure it. I don't have settings that will "fix" it if it's happening to you.
BRAC and Mudslide like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-07-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #17 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Improved over the Q9FN and a great AR filter, but still not good enough for me, bring on dual layer lcd, why is the native contrast on lcd's stuck at such low numbers for over a decade? Dual layer lcd would solve this issue.
post #18 of 61 Unread 08-07-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that I am not as critical as some (including many members here) about light bleed into letterbox bars. As long as I'm not distracted by it while watching a movie, I'm good. I presume some happens with HDR on the Q90, but I don't notice it. I've heard similar feedback with other TVs I've reviewed. But my understanding is, beyond my own subjective take, this TV model is generally considered a good performaer (for a FALD LCD) in this regard. I'm sure if I found the right scene and pressed pause I'd see it, and I know from experience I can measure it. I don't have settings that will "fix" it if it's happening to you.
I agree with you on this Mark, and I actually do consider myself as being critical about blooming into the letterbox bars. Is it perfect, no, but it’s good enough that it rarely, if ever, becomes a distraction on my 82Q90R.

Afterall, I did return a 75Z9F for excessive blooming. The Q90R is a considerable improvement over the Z9F in terms of blooming control.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #19 of 61 Unread 08-08-2019, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 768
I assume this set has the AppleTV app built in or available via FW update. Was that looked at in the review? ... I'll have more coffee and read it again.

I thought Samsung was cheaper than Sony but I guess that depends on which particular sets are considered.

They should add DV to this set. I see how if it does HDR10 (and maybe HDR10+) then it's likely not a difference maker but my library is now mostly in iTunes where the content is native DV and ATMOS typically.

-Brian
post #20 of 61 Unread 08-08-2019, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I assume this set has the AppleTV app built in or available via FW update. Was that looked at in the review? ... I'll have more coffee and read it again.

I thought Samsung was cheaper than Sony but I guess that depends on which particular sets are considered.

They should add DV to this set. I see how if it does HDR10 (and maybe HDR10+) then it's likely not a difference maker but my library is now mostly in iTunes where the content is native DV and ATMOS typically.

-Brian
I did not get into streaming with the built-in apps in this review, including the Apple TV app. For background on that, I returned this TV about 2 months ago, but creating the review was delayed because I had to move (physical address move) and that was right around when the app rolled out.

When eARC is up and running, I'll be using the built-in apps more often.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #21 of 61 Unread 08-08-2019, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
A few years ago I told myself I would never buy a non-OLED TV again, but LCD is seriously closing the gap and those peak brightness levels are so important with HDR.
I was going to go with a 77inch OLED, as the picture is stunning but it needs a light controlled room. I have seen the Q90R 2x at best buy, one was Magnolia were it wasn't under the store lights & in a light controlled room & the picture was stunning, not as inky & film like as the OLED but stunning. My only complaints were not being able to watch anything but the demo loops, I wanted to see broadcast tv NFL football games to get a feel for the Tv.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young
post #22 of 61 Unread 08-08-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I was going to go with a 77inch OLED, as the picture is stunning but it needs a light controlled room. I have seen the Q90R 2x at best buy, one was Magnolia were it wasn't under the store lights & in a light controlled room & the picture was stunning, not as inky & film like as the OLED but stunning. My only complaints were not being able to watch anything but the demo loops, I wanted to see broadcast tv NFL football games to get a feel for the Tv.
With sports there is absolutely no way you won’t see vertical banding on a 75” LCD. I would personally try to watch football or soccer to see if that’s a deal breaker.
post #23 of 61 Unread 08-08-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With sports there is absolutely no way you won’t see vertical banding on a 75” LCD. I would personally try to watch football or soccer to see if that’s a deal breaker.

I don’t see any vertical banding and very little DSE on my 82Q90.
gimpygod likes this.

post #24 of 61 Unread 08-08-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I don’t see any vertical banding and very little DSE on my 82Q90.
Ive never not seen it on panning shots with grass or blue skies. DSE is hit or miss, but I always notice the vertical bands.
post #25 of 61 Unread 08-08-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

I genuinely enjoy your real world use reviews. I much prefer a how it looks in use perspective than a checkerboard contrast spec. One thing not covered was motion. I suspect that you aren't especially sensitive but did it seem better than past Samsung's that you've had?
post #26 of 61 Unread 08-08-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Samsung 75” Q90R QLED TV Review

Quote:
Ive never not seen it on panning shots with grass or blue skies. DSE is hit or miss, but I always notice the vertical bands.

I did have one noticeable vertical band during panning shots with hockey on my former 75Z9F, but to my surprise this 82Q90 looks clean.

Last edited by BRAC; 08-08-2019 at 10:09 AM.
post #27 of 61 Unread 08-08-2019, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 277
The color gamut dropped all the way back to 2015 levels. It's not the wide-angle filter because it happened with the Q70 too. What's that all about?
post #28 of 61 Unread 08-08-2019, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I agree with you on this Mark, and I actually do consider myself as being critical about blooming into the letterbox bars. Is it perfect, no, but it’s good enough that it rarely, if ever, becomes a distraction on my 82Q90R.

Afterall, I did return a 75Z9F for excessive blooming. The Q90R is a considerable improvement over the Z9F in terms of blooming control.
HA! I read this line and something made me look at your location. Sure enough I think I’m looking at your return Z9F at Best Buy SE today. I can get a hell of a deal on it...but the reviews put the brakes on that thought.

In the end what did you settle on for a TV?

For me? Well, now I’m all confused, x950g, Z9F or a Samsung.

Funk Audio 21.0 - 2000 year old Bog Sequoia Veneer - 4.8Kw RMS 9.6Kw Peak
Definitive Technology BP9080 (L/R) - CS9080 (C) - SR9080BP (SL/SR)
Monitor Audio CL165 (x4) Atmos Heights
Samsung Q90r 75”
post #29 of 61 Unread 08-09-2019, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majister View Post
HA! I read this line and something made me look at your location. Sure enough I think I’m looking at your return Z9F at Best Buy SE today. I can get a hell of a deal on it...but the reviews put the brakes on that thought.

In the end what did you settle on for a TV?

For me? Well, now I’m all confused, x950g, Z9F or a Samsung.

That’s the one! The Z9F is a very good set. It just depends on how sensitive you are to blooming. Some people find it perfectly acceptable, but for me it turned out to be too much.

I ended up settling on the Samsung 82” Q90r.
Majister likes this.

post #30 of 61 Unread 08-09-2019, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 4
My Q90R is not perfect, but it is the perfect tool for the job in my case.

Letterboxes are black, jet black versus my previous LG LCD, and any black bar edge blooming in HDR is only really noticeable from a point source light that is very bright and looks just like it would if you have a bright light at a hard edge in the real world. I find myself squinting at times because this set gets so bright, also minimizing any perceived bleed into the letterboxes. I have accepted the minimal DSE on mine as panel variation will always technically have some and it only shows up on bright scenes with uniform color and any texture is enough to hide it, I'd have to look for it while watching soccer and even then can be difficult to see.

I think the single biggest real world thing about this TV that just can't be touched by any other set out there is the anti-reflection layer. It is like we have the monolith from 2001 sitting on it's side in the living room. I have eight big windows across three walls in my living room with more windows in hallways and a stairwell on the fourth wall. My LG would have enough reflection and glare at certain times of day that you would have to duck and weave to follow the action. it is gone. I mean, it is GONE. The Q90R is a black hole and any minimal compromise around HDR letterbox blooming, local dimming and inherent DSE in a dark room is well worth the usability for the mornings and afternoons when I watch soccer, F1 and college football. I love OLED technology, I think it is the way forward, but until they can get them bright enough to add in the wide viewing angle tech and anti-glare capabilities, I won't consider them after having it this good on the Q90.

#COYS
KidHorn and Majister like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
4k tv , q90r , qled , Samsung