TCL 8-Series, 6-Series QLED TVs - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1088Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 1512 Old 08-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Worried about? I wouldn't go so far as to say this is something that you need. They are features that would make games more enjoyable/playable, and give you a bit of a competitive edge, but you could enjoy them just fine if none of those things are a priority for you.

In terms of the PS5, it's been confirmed by Sony that it will be capable of outputting 4K 120hz and 8k and some unknown hz (probably 60), so it will be a 2.1 device. Which games and how many will be pushing those signals, I don't know, but just giving that information. i fully expect Nvidia to release a 2180 ti or whatever they end up calling it, that has HDMI 2.1 around this time next year also. If you don't game on PC though, then that isn't something that would interest you, though.

2.1 is backwards compatible so you will still be able to play just fine. Like I said, it just depends on how much value you put on playing at the highest refresh rate in 4K, getting the lowest possible input lag, and if you think that VRR is valuable.
Also, keep in mind that console game developers STILL have not fully embraced the benefits of 4K/HDR into current titles. It will be years before AA titles with 8K/HDR and "ray tracing" and 120hz are available. So even if you have the next generation XBox/PS5 next year, you'll be playing old games with old specs for a while.

Last edited by 8KCRT; 08-28-2019 at 05:44 PM. Reason: clarity
8KCRT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 1512 Old 08-29-2019, 04:21 AM
Senior Member
 
vid33nyc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Durham,NC
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am looking forward to a comparison between the R625 and the H9f.Looking to get a 55in for my bedroom.
theboomr and troopa138 like this.

Vizio PQ65-F1, MediaLight Quad 6500k, VIZIO SB3821-C6, Xbox one X Gears 5 edition, PS4, Nvidia Shield TV, Firestick 4K, Sony UBP-X700
vid33nyc1 is offline  
post #273 of 1512 Old 08-29-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,821
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
Also, keep in mind that console game developers STILL have not fully embraced the benefits of 4K/HDR into current titles. It will be years before AA titles with 8K/HDR and "ray tracing" and 120hz are available. So even if you have the next generation XBox/PS5 next year, you'll be playing old games with old specs for a while.
It's been a long time since I played a game that didn't have 4K HDR lol. But then, I probably only play AAA games, and I play more on the PC than console, also. I hear you, though. Even if it takes a couple years or even more, I'm not going to be looking to upgrade again for bit after I get a TV next year, or the year after, so I still would want a TV with 2.1. I'm fully aware that I may not be able to take advantage of all the 2.1 goodness right away. I just want it on the TV for when I can. Makes no sense for me to get a set now, and then basically have to skip this whole gen, or buy again in a couple years.

Stuntman_Mike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #274 of 1512 Old 08-29-2019, 08:05 AM
Member
 
roncruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I waited all year for further 8 series announcements and release date. Finally those announcements and release times came around... but it wasn't compelling enough to wait around any longer for and purchase. Especially without the VRR and ALLM features!

I'm a big GoW fan and Gears5 releases next Friday. I wanted to step up to 75" from 65", and set myself up for the Scarlett edition of the next XBox which is set to release next year. The 8 series 75" would have been the ONE! Scarlett will support 8K. The current Xbox One X already supports VRR and ALLM.

So, I did the next best thing and bought the 75" 6-Series from BB. It's gets delivered today. Inexpensive, good enough and 75"! I can wait another year for a fair priced 8K 75" with VRR and ALLM.
roncruiser is offline  
post #275 of 1512 Old 08-29-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bhazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 2,626
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Waiting for reviews on this. They could be a nice step up from last year.
bhazard is offline  
post #276 of 1512 Old 08-29-2019, 01:48 PM
Member
 
roncruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Worried about? I wouldn't go so far as to say this is something that you need. They are features that would make games more enjoyable/playable, and give you a bit of a competitive edge, but you could enjoy them just fine if none of those things are a priority for you.

In terms of the PS5, it's been confirmed by Sony that it will be capable of outputting 4K 120hz and 8k and some unknown hz (probably 60), so it will be a 2.1 device. Which games and how many will be pushing those signals, I don't know, but just giving that information. i fully expect Nvidia to release a 2180 ti or whatever they end up calling it, that has HDMI 2.1 around this time next year also. If you don't game on PC though, then that isn't something that would interest you, though.

2.1 is backwards compatible so you will still be able to play just fine. Like I said, it just depends on how much value you put on playing at the highest refresh rate in 4K, getting the lowest possible input lag, and if you think that VRR is valuable.
Also, keep in mind that console game developers STILL have not fully embraced the benefits of 4K/HDR into current titles. It will be years before AA titles with 8K/HDR and "ray tracing" and 120hz are available. So even if you have the next generation XBox/PS5 next year, you'll be playing old games with old specs for a while.
Makes perfect sense. I'm a console player and I'm perfectly fine waiting it out.
roncruiser is offline  
post #277 of 1512 Old 08-29-2019, 01:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncruiser View Post
I waited all year for further 8 series announcements and release date. Finally those announcements and release times came around... but it wasn't compelling enough to wait around any longer for and purchase. Especially without the VRR and ALLM features!

I'm a big GoW fan and Gears5 releases next Friday. I wanted to step up to 75" from 65", and set myself up for the Scarlett edition of the next XBox which is set to release next year. The 8 series 75" would have been the ONE! Scarlett will support 8K. The current Xbox One X already supports VRR and ALLM.

So, I did the next best thing and bought the 75" 6-Series from BB. It's gets delivered today. Inexpensive, good enough and 75"! I can wait another year for a fair priced 8K 75" with VRR and ALLM.

Cool, let us know your detailed first impressions. I game a lot too and I'm considering this set for the price.
TwayneP is online now  
post #278 of 1512 Old 08-30-2019, 09:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
Cool, let us know your detailed first impressions. I game a lot too and I'm considering this set for the price.
I've had this TV since it first released earlier this year and I love gaming on it.

Right now I'm going though my back log of games and playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. Sucks that they never implemented HDR but it still looks pretty good. Of course, games with HDR, such as Spider-Man, Battlefront II, Horizon Zero Dawn really shine on this TV!

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
TheNameIsSam is offline  
post #279 of 1512 Old 08-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Member
 
roncruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
Cool, let us know your detailed first impressions. I game a lot too and I'm considering this set for the price.
I'll do that. It's still in the box in my living room. I'll get to setting it up tonight. I'm really looking forward to Gears 5 on the new TV. It's my first 4K TV!
I'm coming from a 65" Panasonic ZT60 Plasma in 1080P which has served me well for almost 6 years. Time to move on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameIsSam View Post
I've had this TV since it first released earlier this year and I love gaming on it.

Right now I'm going though my back log of games and playing Rise of the Tomb Raider. Sucks that they never implemented HDR but it still looks pretty good. Of course, games with HDR, such as Spider-Man, Battlefront II, Horizon Zero Dawn really shine on this TV!
How's lag with the TV?
roncruiser is offline  
post #280 of 1512 Old 08-31-2019, 10:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncruiser View Post
I'll do that. It's still in the box in my living room. I'll get to setting it up tonight. I'm really looking forward to Gears 5 on the new TV. It's my first 4K TV!
I'm coming from a 65" Panasonic ZT60 Plasma in 1080P which has served me well for almost 6 years. Time to move on.




How's lag with the TV?
Assuming you are asking about the R617/615 and input lag then it's really good. No problems at all.
samoth84 is offline  
post #281 of 1512 Old 08-31-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
*UFO*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncruiser View Post
I waited all year for further 8 series announcements and release date. Finally those announcements and release times came around... but it wasn't compelling enough to wait around any longer for and purchase. Especially without the VRR and ALLM features!

I'm a big GoW fan and Gears5 releases next Friday. I wanted to step up to 75" from 65", and set myself up for the Scarlett edition of the next XBox which is set to release next year. The 8 series 75" would have been the ONE! Scarlett will support 8K. The current Xbox One X already supports VRR and ALLM.

So, I did the next best thing and bought the 75" 6-Series from BB. It's gets delivered today. Inexpensive, good enough and 75"! I can wait another year for a fair priced 8K 75" with VRR and ALLM.
Good enough? The 75" R615/R617 is excellent. You will not be missing much, even if the 8-series ends up being amazing, it wont be $1800 worth of amazing over the 75R615/R617.
*UFO* is offline  
post #282 of 1512 Old 08-31-2019, 07:32 PM
Member
 
roncruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncruiser View Post
I waited all year for further 8 series announcements and release date. Finally those announcements and release times came around... but it wasn't compelling enough to wait around any longer for and purchase. Especially without the VRR and ALLM features!

I'm a big GoW fan and Gears5 releases next Friday. I wanted to step up to 75" from 65", and set myself up for the Scarlett edition of the next XBox which is set to release next year. The 8 series 75" would have been the ONE! Scarlett will support 8K. The current Xbox One X already supports VRR and ALLM.

So, I did the next best thing and bought the 75" 6-Series from BB. It's gets delivered today. Inexpensive, good enough and 75"! I can wait another year for a fair priced 8K 75" with VRR and ALLM.
Good enough? The 75" R615/R617 is excellent. You will not be missing much, even if the 8-series ends up being amazing, it wont be $1800 worth of amazing over the 75R615/R617.

Good enough is nowhere near a bad thing. It's a good thing. That's why I went with it. Based exactly on what you stated. Price aside, it didn't make sense to go with the 8-series without VRR and ALLM. All that aside, I need a TV. Gears lands next Friday.
roncruiser is offline  
post #283 of 1512 Old 08-31-2019, 10:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncruiser View Post
I'll do that. It's still in the box in my living room. I'll get to setting it up tonight. I'm really looking forward to Gears 5 on the new TV. It's my first 4K TV!
I'm coming from a 65" Panasonic ZT60 Plasma in 1080P which has served me well for almost 6 years. Time to move on.
Ooof! Hope it goes well. Coming form a Plasma is rough. LCD's just leave a lot to be desired. I myself am a long time Plasma viewer and I've grown to hate my Samsung NU8000. Been looking for an FALD to even come close to Plasma levels, so I can upgrade without spending so much on an OLED.

That said, I did buy the NU8000 for Spider-Man (much like you're upgrading for Gears) and it delivered big time on that front. Gaming on Samsung is effing legit. I adore it. I just can't handle watching movies or shows on this thing. and it's pretty much a 50/50 split for me between gaming and movies. The plasma is still running circles around my NU8000 for movies.

The TCL 75in is on my shortlist currently. I hope you love it!
TwayneP is online now  
post #284 of 1512 Old 09-01-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ice Cold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid33nyc1 View Post
I am looking forward to a comparison between the R625 and the H9f.Looking to get a 55in for my bedroom.
Having returned a 55” H9F there is No comparison even with a 55” TCL R615 it has Roku built in and a good menu system that Keeps settings, the H9F has the worst Menu system and interface ever and Android TV on the H9F is a laggy mess. On that alone it’s a deal breaker.
Ice Cold is offline  
post #285 of 1512 Old 09-01-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,881
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Having returned a 55” H9F there is No comparison even with a 55” TCL R615 it has Roku built in and a good menu system that Keeps settings, the H9F has the worst Menu system and interface ever and Android TV on the H9F is a laggy mess. On that alone it’s a deal breaker.


But what about the picture? If the settings reset thing gets fixed, how often does a person need to mess with the TV UI.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #286 of 1512 Old 09-01-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 7,038
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncruiser View Post
I waited all year for further 8 series announcements and release date. Finally those announcements and release times came around... but it wasn't compelling enough to wait around any longer for and purchase. Especially without the VRR and ALLM features!

I'm a big GoW fan and Gears5 releases next Friday. I wanted to step up to 75" from 65", and set myself up for the Scarlett edition of the next XBox which is set to release next year. The 8 series 75" would have been the ONE! Scarlett will support 8K. The current Xbox One X already supports VRR and ALLM.

So, I did the next best thing and bought the 75" 6-Series from BB. It's gets delivered today. Inexpensive, good enough and 75"! I can wait another year for a fair priced 8K 75" with VRR and ALLM.


I agree. Not having VRR is a big miss And their excuse for not having it is lame IMO.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
brian6751 is offline  
post #287 of 1512 Old 09-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Craigslue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Having returned a 55” H9F there is No comparison even with a 55” TCL R615 it has Roku built in and a good menu system that Keeps settings, the H9F has the worst Menu system and interface ever and Android TV on the H9F is a laggy mess. On that alone it’s a deal breaker.
The H9F just got released. There are always bugs, especially moving up into quality budget tier for the first time. It's a matter of how well they take care of issues that matters. Only time will tell.
theboomr likes this.
Craigslue is online now  
post #288 of 1512 Old 09-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Member
 
drowningape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
I agree. Not having VRR is a big miss And their excuse for not having it is lame IMO.
Which TVs have actual VRR aside from some very, very expensive high end Samsung models?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
drowningape is online now  
post #289 of 1512 Old 09-01-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 7,038
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningape View Post
Which TVs have actual VRR aside from some very, very expensive high end Samsung models?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk


Q70 can be found for not much more than the TCL.

The 8 series is supposed to be next level performance with mini LED’s. I think it’s a missed opportunity to leave out VRR regardless of who else has it.
theboomr likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
brian6751 is offline  
post #290 of 1512 Old 09-01-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,275
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningape View Post
Which TVs have actual VRR aside from some very, very expensive high end Samsung models?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Its on every mid level Samsung starting with the NU/RU 8000 and up.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/moti...e-refresh-rate
theboomr likes this.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #291 of 1512 Old 09-02-2019, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bhazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 2,626
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 119
To everyone saying this TV and the 8 doesn't have VRR and such, best not to jump to conclusions. Wait until the TV is released or some reviews start coming in.
bhazard is offline  
post #292 of 1512 Old 09-02-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 7,038
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Liked: 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
To everyone saying this TV and the 8 doesn't have VRR and such, best not to jump to conclusions. Wait until the TV is released or some reviews start coming in.


We can only go by what the current info says and as of now, it won’t have VRR.
theboomr likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
brian6751 is offline  
post #293 of 1512 Old 09-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Member
 
duvy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Knowing what we already know what are ya more excited about
TCL 8 Series mini LEDS or Hisense ULED XD?
Can't wait to see both.
duvy56 is offline  
post #294 of 1512 Old 09-02-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
12B4A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CR Iowa
Posts: 1,109
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvy56 View Post
Knowing what we already know what are ya more excited about
TCL 8 Series mini LEDS or Hisense ULED XD?
Can't wait to see both.
TCL for sure to see if they manage to pull it off. Hisense XD will probably look fantastic but also function as a space heater.

Life is Lambertian
12B4A is offline  
post #295 of 1512 Old 09-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Smiller4128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Hey guys, I’m in need of advice. I currently have a 55” Sony X900E that I really enjoy but want to upgrade for 2 reasons. 1. Size - I want to move up to a 65” and 2. I want Dolby Vision.

My budget can go up to $2000, but I’d like to not go that high if I can help it. My top choice right now is the Samsung Q80. It currently sits at my maximum budget but I’m holding out to see if that price comes down during Black Friday sales.

In the meantime, I’ve been looking at alternatives. I’m VERY interested in the TCL 8-series with its micro LEDs for watching movies at night and getting those deep blacks. But it’ll also debut at the top of my budget.

Alternatives to those two TVs have led me to either the Vizio Quantum X, the 2019 TCL 6 series, and the Hisense H9F which seems to be a sleeper hit.

I’ve read positives and negatives on all of them and can’t really seem to decide at all. Everyone here who games says to pass on this and the Vizio and Hisense because they don’t have VRR for gaming? It seems only the Samsung does, but Samsung doesn’t support Dolby Vision.

My tv time gets split exactly 50/50 between HDR Movies and HDR gaming. So what’s more important, VRR for gaming or Dolby Vision? And will either the 6-series or 8-series satisfy those needs for me more so than the other TVs?
Smiller4128 is online now  
post #296 of 1512 Old 09-02-2019, 01:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
Hey guys, I’m in need of advice. I currently have a 55” Sony X900E that I really enjoy but want to upgrade for 2 reasons. 1. Size - I want to move up to a 65” and 2. I want Dolby Vision.

My budget can go up to $2000, but I’d like to not go that high if I can help it. My top choice right now is the Samsung Q80. It currently sits at my maximum budget but I’m holding out to see if that price comes down during Black Friday sales.

In the meantime, I’ve been looking at alternatives. I’m VERY interested in the TCL 8-series with its micro LEDs for watching movies at night and getting those deep blacks. But it’ll also debut at the top of my budget.

Alternatives to those two TVs have led me to either the Vizio Quantum X, the 2019 TCL 6 series, and the Hisense H9F which seems to be a sleeper hit.

I’ve read positives and negatives on all of them and can’t really seem to decide at all. Everyone here who games says to pass on this and the Vizio and Hisense because they don’t have VRR for gaming? It seems only the Samsung does, but Samsung doesn’t support Dolby Vision.

My tv time gets split exactly 50/50 between HDR Movies and HDR gaming. So what’s more important, VRR for gaming or Dolby Vision? And will either the 6-series or 8-series satisfy those needs for me more so than the other TVs?

If you're willing to wait for Black Friday, then that's where you're going to find the best options. Even if the Q80 doesn't come down in price all that much, the TCLs, Vizios and Hisenses of the world will! Any new TCL will likely have a sale within a short window of release. The 8 series will drop to 1800 or less soon after it launches. SO you may be better off waiting for that one. It will likely be a total fuggin beast. I say this because the TCL 75 inch 6 series that launched just earlier this year had a sale right out of the gate pretty much, and now is regularly significantly cheaper than it's MSRP.


But yeah, if you're waiting until black Friday, then just wait! We are all waiting with baited breath. I'd hope the Q80 does see a nice drop, but if not, your options will blow open in November.


As far as VRR and Dolby Vision, I'm in the same EXACT boat as you, I split my usage between HDR gaming and HDR movies 50/50. I absolutely adore 4K quality, and the HDR experience. My honest opinion with using VRR for the last year... is Dolby Vision is the winner here, and is more important. There are only a few games that I've noticed a slight difference in, using VRR. Most HDR games will provide you with an exceptional experience no matter what and VRR is a slighter improvement. But that also depends on what kind of games you play. I'm not into Fortnite or Call of Duty or any of that... I play in depth single player, RPGs, Sim racing, and story heavy games. I rarely play online multiplayer (except for the occasional Rocket League). So I could see the advantage of VRR if you're more into the twitch scene and more split reactionary games. For sure. I think it's also important to note, that the PS4 doesn't support Samsung's Freesync option, so the application is rather limited right now anyway. but certain games on the Xbox have been nice.



Dolby Vision can fundamentally change the way you enjoy movies. It's more realistic, more immersive, improves the HDR experience and I think more movies will be taking advantage of this in the future. So that's my personal opinion. I'm always more on the side of improving my movie watching experience, rather than gaming. Because gaming is already at such a magnificent level IMO. Gaming is already such an engrossing experience, particularly with HDR titles. I'm extremely satisfied with it.
TwayneP is online now  
post #297 of 1512 Old 09-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncruiser View Post
How's lag with the TV?
Pretty much non existent when in Game Mode. I use my TV for gaming more than for anything else so low lag input was really important to me. Without looking it up, I want to say it's in the high teens.

TV: TCL 75R615
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR787 running in a 5.4.4 configuration
Speakers: Polk T Series
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB12-NSD and dual SVS PB-1000.
Gaming Systems: PlayStation 4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.
TheNameIsSam is offline  
post #298 of 1512 Old 09-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Member
 
roncruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncruiser View Post
I'll do that. It's still in the box in my living room. I'll get to setting it up tonight. I'm really looking forward to Gears 5 on the new TV. It's my first 4K TV!
I'm coming from a 65" Panasonic ZT60 Plasma in 1080P which has served me well for almost 6 years. Time to move on.
Ooof! Hope it goes well. Coming form a Plasma is rough. LCD's just leave a lot to be desired. I myself am a long time Plasma viewer and I've grown to hate my Samsung NU8000. Been looking for an FALD to even come close to Plasma levels, so I can upgrade without spending so much on an OLED.

That said, I did buy the NU8000 for Spider-Man (much like you're upgrading for Gears) and it delivered big time on that front. Gaming on Samsung is effing legit. I adore it. I just can't handle watching movies or shows on this thing. and it's pretty much a 50/50 split for me between gaming and movies. The plasma is still running circles around my NU8000 for movies.

The TCL 75in is on my shortlist currently. I hope you love it!
Not good. I'm exchanging the TV. Screen uniformity is excellent, except for a small sharp dark shadow coming from the bottom left edge of the screen. The rest of the screen edge perimeter is good. I noticed it when inspecting screen uniformity using a gray screen. It's noticeable during regular TV use as well.

Anyhow, I'm packing it up and taking it back to Best Buy soon.
roncruiser is offline  
post #299 of 1512 Old 09-04-2019, 07:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Is this likely the clear winner for a size of 55 inches and under a $1000?
AVS Commenter is offline  
post #300 of 1512 Old 09-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Member
 
hjames19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It looks like you can now order the 2019 6 Series on some websites.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hjames19 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
tcl , tcl 6-series , tcl 8-series

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off