TCL 8-Series, 6-Series QLED TVs - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1097Likes

post #751 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gunz View Post
Ordered mine fairly early on, got it last week. Box looked fine, but screen was damaged. Got Amazon to schedule for it to be picked up (sucks, because i have to schedule it again when I'm at home...which for a standard 8-5er is tough) and they couldn't replace because its out of stock. I don't know if its the packaging, the shipping, or the quality of the panels themselves, but there's quite a bit of reviews for damaged panels on Amazon already (relatively speaking of course, since we have no idea how many were shipped that was fine vs shipped that was damaged) but it's not giving me confidence about these panels. They are great deal for the price and tech, but if they already had issues with damaged screens before, what more now that there's some buzz and backlog of inventory? Experience tells me new batches will likely be rushed to production to meet that demand which is never good.

Now I'm undecided what to do. Whether to wait on new batches (can't really beat $800 for a QLED with nearly same tech/features as a Q70, which is priced nearly 2x as the TCL), or just go with one of the Q series (80R likely, as the 90R is more expensive than the LG C9) from Samsung. Picture quality wise, I've really liked the OLEDs, but the burn-in for such expensive TVs scares me (I play MMO and do dungeon raids that goes 2 hours twice a week, so the HUD is a very serious concern for me). For what its worth, I've had a plasma for over a decade now. Never had issues with burn-in until I started using it for this game, so at this point I'm pretty much not for OLED due to that risk.

I ordered the 65S625 from Amazon but had found that Best Buy had a small stock of the 65” Hisense H95 as well. So I ordered one of them too. The Hisense arrived first and so I set it all up. I know that there’s a lot of talk about uniformity issues, vignette, etc...

Honestly though, this is the best tv I’ve ever owned. I’ve had Samsung, Sony, and Vizio. But the Hisense blows them all away. Black levels are amazing, the colors really pop, there’s plenty of brightness to the image, I have no qualms with it at all.

I’m sorry, I know this is the TCL Baird but I thought I’d give you my opinion since the Hisense is only $100 more, I think it’s totally worth it and worthy of your consideration. I’ve already set to return the TCL that eventually arrived. I had planned to do a side-by-side comparison myself but have just decided to keep the Hisense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Fomo has R625 HDR review up.

post #753 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
I ordered the 65S625 from Amazon but had found that Best Buy had a small stock of the 65” Hisense H95 as well. So I ordered one of them too. The Hisense arrived first and so I set it all up. I know that there’s a lot of talk about uniformity issues, vignette, etc...

Honestly though, this is the best tv I’ve ever owned. I’ve had Samsung, Sony, and Vizio. But the Hisense blows them all away. Black levels are amazing, the colors really pop, there’s plenty of brightness to the image, I have no qualms with it at all.

I’m sorry, I know this is the TCL Baird but I thought I’d give you my opinion since the Hisense is only $100 more, I think it’s totally worth it and worthy of your consideration. I’ve already set to return the TCL that eventually arrived. I had planned to do a side-by-side comparison myself but have just decided to keep the Hisense.

The S25 and R25 are 2 different animals. Most here are talking about the R25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
The S25 and R25 are 2 different animals. Most here are talking about the R25
The S is the 5 series the R is the 6 series. Which one are you talking about ? It's confusing as you have both an S and and 6 in the model you posted.
post #755 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 09:47 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9510 Post(s)
Liked: 6207
Quote:

The 6 Series gets even brighter than the Hisense.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #756 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Now I really have a dilemma. Samsung EPP having a massive sale. Search for 4k tvs on slickdeals. So for the same price as an 8 series 65 inch, you can get a Q80R 75 inch. Very tempting. If good 65 inch TCL R625 were available I would get one again, then wait for a year and move it to a bedroom for hopefully a very large 8 series.
post #757 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
The S is the 5 series the R is the 6 series. Which one are you talking about ? It's confusing as you have both an S and and 6 in the model you posted.

Sorry about that, I’m all thumbs today. I meant the 65R625

aaronwt and rockaway1836 like this.
post #758 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The 6 Series gets even brighter than the Hisense.

Where have you seen that?

post #759 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Where have you seen that?

Well you can probably reasonably assume that, based on the fact that the previous gen 6 series gets brighter than the new H9F, according to Rtings' reviews, the 2019 6 series probably also gets brighter than the H9F.
aaronwt likes this.
post #760 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
Well you can probably reasonably assume that, based on the fact that the previous gen 6 series gets brighter than the new H9F, according to Rtings' reviews, the 2019 6 series probably also gets brighter than the H9F.

Yeah I see where you’re coming from but that’s not always a guarantee. TVs change every year and, unfortunately, it’s not always for the better. Look at the degrading contrast and backlighting of the Sony TVs since the X900E

post #761 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The difference would be negligible in use. BTW they may be using completely different backlighting for the Quantum dots and one should never assume in this addiction! Look at the Samsung's from last year to this year. One would have assumed they would have at least equal color gamut but they don't.

Last edited by Craigslue; 10-02-2019 at 03:25 PM.
post #762 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post
The difference would be negligible in use. BTW they may be using completely different backlighting for the Quantum dots and one should never assume in this addiction! Look at the Samsung's from last year to this year. One would have assumed they would have at least equal color gamut but they don't.
Correct. If I recall correctly, the peak brightness of the 2018 6-series actually went down a bit from the 2017 6-series.

Last edited by samoth84; 10-02-2019 at 07:52 PM.
post #763 of 1527 Old 10-02-2019, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Posts removed. No street price talk outside of the deal's forum.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #764 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth84 View Post
Correct. If I recall correctly, the peak brightness of the 2018 6-series actually went down a bit from the 2017 6-series.
There was no 2017 6 series. In 2017 their top of the line was called the P series. The 2018 6 series was much brighter than the P series. Both reviews are still available at rtings.
theboomr likes this.
post #765 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboomr View Post
I was watching some of the FOMO reviews on YouTube of the new 6-series. He has the H9F directly beside the TCL and then a higher end Sony and Samsung model above those (don't recall those model numbers). Anyway, the H9F looked brighter than all of them but it also appeared to be blowing the picture out a bit. He was using the 4k HDR disc of the new Malificent movie.

*I see now someone has linked to that video a few posts above mine.
post #766 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 08:10 AM

Did anyone else who had a damaged TCL get a call from TCL last night? I was very impressed. They told me the person I talked to was wrong and they actually could replace my TCL 65, except for the fact that I had already shipped it back to Amazon an been credited. If I still had it they would have replaced it. I pressed him for info on more series 6 (no info) and then the 8 series, he said look for an announcement around the 15th.
aaronwt and theboomr like this.
post #767 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjaxor View Post
Did anyone else who had a damaged TCL get a call from TCL last night? I was very impressed. They told me the person I talked to was wrong and they actually could replace my TCL 65, except for the fact that I had already shipped it back to Amazon an been credited. If I still had it they would have replaced it. I pressed him for info on more series 6 (no info) and then the 8 series, he said look for an announcement around the 15th.
Nope I've been having a really bad time with TCL support trying to get mine replaced.
I contacted TCL on 9/24 and still don't have a answer. The last TCL support email was a reply from a call that Amazon made for me to TCL asking if they can replace it since Amazon has no stock and the TCL rep asked if I got my replacement from Amazon yet...

Plan b is to just get refund from Amazon.

*Update, TCL agreed to exchange it. I'll update once that happens in 1-2 weeks.
aaronwt and theboomr like this.

Last edited by DvST8; 10-03-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #768 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvST8 View Post
Nope I've been having a really bad time with TCL support trying to get mine replaced.
I contacted TCL on 9/24 and still don't have a answer. The last TCL support email was a reply from a call that Amazon made for me to TCL asking if they can replace it since Amazon has no stock and the TCL rep asked if I got my replacement from Amazon yet...

Plan b is to just get refund from Amazon.
Do you still have the TCL or has it gone back to Amazon?
post #769 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by garetjaxor View Post
Do you still have the TCL or has it gone back to Amazon?
I still have it.
I plan to give TCL till next weekend to work it out since I'm not home for Amazon to pick it up during the week.
post #770 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
There was no 2017 6 series. In 2017 their top of the line was called the P series. The 2018 6 series was much brighter than the P series. Both reviews are still available at rtings.
You are completely correct! My bad. I was thinking of the color gamut which was a bit better on the P series.
rockaway1836 and theboomr like this.
post #771 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Ordered mine fairly early on, got it last week. Box looked fine, but screen was damaged. Got Amazon to schedule for it to be picked up (sucks, because i have to schedule it again when I'm at home...which for a standard 8-5er is tough) and they couldn't replace because its out of stock. I don't know if its the packaging, the shipping, or the quality of the panels themselves, but there's quite a bit of reviews for damaged panels on Amazon already (relatively speaking of course, since we have no idea how many were shipped that was fine vs shipped that was damaged) but it's not giving me confidence about these panels. They are great deal for the price and tech, but if they already had issues with damaged screens before, what more now that there's some buzz and backlog of inventory? Experience tells me new batches will likely be rushed to production to meet that demand which is never good.

Now I'm undecided what to do. Whether to wait on new batches (can't really beat $800 for a QLED with nearly same tech/features as a Q70, which is priced nearly 2x as the TCL), or just go with one of the Q series (80R likely, as the 90R is more expensive than the LG C9) from Samsung. Picture quality wise, I've really liked the OLEDs, but the burn-in for such expensive TVs scares me (I play MMO and do dungeon raids that goes 2 hours twice a week, so the HUD is a very serious concern for me). For what its worth, I've had a plasma for over a decade now. Never had issues with burn-in until I started using it for this game, so at this point I'm pretty much not for OLED due to that risk.
I have now received TWO 55R625's from Amazon, both of which had completely busted screens. The first box showed a little damage. The second one looked fine except it was missing one of the straps. Really, really strange how prevalent this issue is. Meanwhile, weirdos in the comments on Amazon are getting mad for people leaving bad reviews based on having this experience.

I am dying for a local big box store to get them in stock but no word yet.
theboomr and samoth84 like this.
post #772 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryams27 View Post
I have now received TWO 55R625's from Amazon, both of which had completely busted screens. The first box showed a little damage. The second one looked fine except it was missing one of the straps. Really, really strange how prevalent this issue is. Meanwhile, weirdos in the comments on Amazon are getting mad for people leaving bad reviews based on having this experience.

That is crazy. I really hope it is because of poor handling and not an extremely weak panel
post #773 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth84 View Post
That is crazy. I really hope it is because of poor handling and not an extremely weak panel
Or perhaps poor packing and materials.
theboomr and samoth84 like this.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #774 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryams27 View Post

Oof...that is not good. At this point, I think I am going to wait on the 8 series. I'm in TN and can go to Electronics Express (which, btw, check out their listing for the 8 series...0_0 ). Definitely not going the Amazon route again for TV. The guys who dropped off my TV was using a truck with Enterprise logo on it (as in the rental car), so I have no idea how Amazon is contracting the delivery of these large TVs. I too have seen the reviews on Amazon criticizing the experience of broken screens and I don't get it. One or two? Maybe. But between Amazon and this site, there's certainly enough reports of these damaged out of the box that its worth mentioning.

Not TCL related, but I will also mention that since this is my first time making a TV purchase from Amazon, I hounded Amazon CS prior to the shipping to confirm delivery method. Twice, I was told it will be "white glove". It of course, was not. That said, minutes from when the damaged panel was picked up, I got notification from Amazon that my return has been processed and so has my refund. So, at least, there's that?

But definitely, whenever this goes in stock (or the 8 series), I'm doing the local store route and going white glove to make sure everything is A-OK.

Specs and value wise, I'm not sure there is a better option than the 625 or 825 right now (especially if that EE listing is correct)
post #775 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
Me too. After reading the issues with audio sync and some bad panels already with this new model, I think I am going to move on from this set. I don't like being the guinea pig.

I am actually thinking of getting last years model. The local Costco has it marked down to $639 now.
Even though these new 62x's have QLED, I still think last years 75" 61x is a better deal at just over a grand. Correct me if I'm wrong...
aaronwt, fbov, sk373 and 1 others like this.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #776 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 109
So big Chinese companies Huawei, TCL, Hisense have effectively push quality LCDs Sony, Samsung, LG, Out of the LCD market into OLEDs.
Something tells me this is bad news for the US consumer and for quality LCDs
post #777 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Oof...that is not good. At this point, I think I am going to wait on the 8 series. I'm in TN and can go to Electronics Express (which, btw, check out their listing for the 8 series...0_0 ). Definitely not going the Amazon route again for TV. The guys who dropped off my TV was using a truck with Enterprise logo on it (as in the rental car), so I have no idea how Amazon is contracting the delivery of these large TVs. I too have seen the reviews on Amazon criticizing the experience of broken screens and I don't get it. One or two? Maybe. But between Amazon and this site, there's certainly enough reports of these damaged out of the box that its worth mentioning.

Not TCL related, but I will also mention that since this is my first time making a TV purchase from Amazon, I hounded Amazon CS prior to the shipping to confirm delivery method. Twice, I was told it will be "white glove". It of course, was not. That said, minutes from when the damaged panel was picked up, I got notification from Amazon that my return has been processed and so has my refund. So, at least, there's that?

But definitely, whenever this goes in stock (or the 8 series), I'm doing the local store route and going white glove to make sure everything is A-OK.

Specs and value wise, I'm not sure there is a better option than the 625 or 825 right now (especially if that EE listing is correct)
Electronics Express pulled the listing for 8 series..
post #778 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionutzzzz View Post
Electronics Express pulled the listing for 8 series..
Cached version available:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us
post #779 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
So big Chinese companies Huawei, TCL, Hisense have effectively push quality LCDs Sony, Samsung, LG, Out of the LCD market into OLEDs.
Something tells me this is bad news for the US consumer and for quality LCDs
Or one could view it as these Chinese companies are closing in quickly on the quality of the Japanese and Korean companies, making the price premium not worth it in the consumer's eyes.
aaronwt, Smigro, Kizzer and 2 others like this.
post #780 of 1527 Old 10-03-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike123abc View Post
Or one could view it as these Chinese companies are closing in quickly on the quality of the Japanese and Korean companies, making the price premium not worth it in the consumer's eyes.
While it hasn't manifested fully, China is the display tech leader now. Funny how that happens 15-20 years after their government starts to pump up their engineering college system...

Life is Lambertian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
tcl , tcl 6-series , tcl 8-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page