TCL 8-Series, 6-Series QLED TVs - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1029Likes

post #931 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathoosala View Post
Well poop. I just ordered a 77 C9 because I didn't think this was going to be out for a while.
OLED and LCD technology are not the same animal for many different reasons ( which we won't get into) ..
Gerry
BFJ 96 likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 01:59 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9393 Post(s)
Liked: 6084
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
So does the price matching / return period start from the day of delivery? I'm guessing so...

That long holiday return period is a nice perk of shopping at Best Buy.

That said, I genuinely wonder if we will see much discount on these during the holidays this year. The hype surrounding their release seems real, lol.
I know with the last couple of TVs I purchased from Best Buy, my warranty period started on my purchase date. EVen though I had them delivered a couple of weeks later. But maybe it's different now?

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #933 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 02:04 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9393 Post(s)
Liked: 6084
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
The fact is we don't know how may they sell, so we don't know what the percentage of damaged screens is. You seem to be pointing the finger at TCL. Yet the same problem does not seem to be reported as heavily on their lesser models.

I am a survivor of the Amazon/FedEx/TCL experience. When my P series was delivered a little FedEx girl was breaking her butt trying to bring my 55 inch set up my driveway. I had to go out and meet her half way and take it in the rest of the way myself. She did not have a hand truck, and the front of the box had a hole in it. There was an issue with the set, which turned out to be a handshake issue with 4K Directv. At the time TCL or myself did not know that. So rather than take chances I returned the set to Amazon, and purchased from best buy.

There are many ways damage can happen. I had a back room employee drop my $4000 Sony 65xbr900a right in front of me on the HH Gregg sales floor. I also had two 55 inch Sony 55xbr850 arrive damaged direct from Sony.

I own and have owned a lot of TVs (14 at the moment) TCL packs their TV as well as any I have ever owned. This includes Sony, Samsung,LG,Vizio,Seiki, Westinghouse and Hisense.
TCL actually packs them better than Sony, LG, Samsung, and Vizio. We use those four brands at work and get UHD sets from them regularly. I was shocked at how much better my TCL 6 series was packed last year when I got it.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Sorry, I didn't know you were so passionate about the subject. Would me deleting or editing my original post make you happy? Or can you just provide me with an edited version that meets with your approval since you obviously have moderator status that we were not aware of?

Seriously man, you win. Enjoy your day.
Getting back to back busted screens will make a man passionate about the subject. Number 3 is being delivered today and Number 4 will be available for pickup this evening. I am rooting for TCL hard and obviously want to like the R625 - I have just had a damn frustrating experience and I think, given the available evidence, it's pretty irrational to chalk this up strictly to carrier mishandling. Something is/has been amiss and I hope they get it figured out.
post #935 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Best Buy has all the specs listed for the 8 series and in the Display section it says :
Motion Enhancement Technology
Natural Motion 480
What does that mean exactly? 120 or not?
post #936 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryams27 View Post
Getting back to back busted screens will make a man passionate about the subject. Number 3 is being delivered today and Number 4 will be available for pickup this evening. I am rooting for TCL hard and obviously want to like the R625 - I have just had a damn frustrating experience and I think, given the available evidence, it's pretty irrational to chalk this up strictly to carrier mishandling. Something is/has been amiss and I hope they get it figured out.
Wow, no wonder...you have been burned. I think I would push for someone (TCL/Amazon) to provide a little customer accommodation of some sort for the trouble you have been through.
aaronwt likes this.
post #937 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Edit# Ouch that price though.
I got it for an excellent price, but could have saved some more still by going with the 8 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
OLED and LCD technology are not the same animal for many different reasons ( which we won't get into) ..
Gerry
Yeah, I know the differences and have always had LCD (this will be my first OLED) and had convinced myself that the 8 series was going to close the gap enough for me to stay in the LCD lane. I'm concerned with the burn-in but man that picture is gorgeous. Just going to have to move the gaming to a different TV.

XBR55X850C, Denon AVRX6300H, Polk RTi10, CSi3, 65RT, 70RT, PSA V1500, Oppo 203.
post #938 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfw View Post
If i do not game at all is HDMI 2.1 needed ??
It's not even needed if you did game.

If it has input lag like the 6 series.

Z9D Settings Dolby Vision, Gaming etc
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post56126450
post #939 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Well poop. I just ordered a 77 C9 because I didn't think this was going to be out for a while.
Unless you are in a very bright room, you will love the OLED, infinite blacks and awesome contrast.
helvetica bold likes this.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #940 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
Unless you are in a very bright room, you will love the OLED, infinite blacks and awesome contrast.
it's light controlled, but I usually only watch at evening night when the only lights around are a lamp. Is it true that the 8 series is only going to be sold through BB?

XBR55X850C, Denon AVRX6300H, Polk RTi10, CSi3, 65RT, 70RT, PSA V1500, Oppo 203.
post #941 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
it's light controlled, but I usually only watch at evening night when the only lights around are a lamp. Is it true that the 8 series is only going to be sold through BB?

It's on buydig but not currently unavailable. So maybe not?

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #942 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Wow, no wonder...you have been burned. I think I would push for someone (TCL/Amazon) to provide a little customer accommodation of some sort for the trouble you have been through.
By way of update, my third R625 came this afternoon via FedEx (purchased directly from Electronic Express). Interestingly, it was packaged with an additional outer box with the actual TV box inside (some air-padding in the corners between the TV box and the outer box). The previous two that came from Amazon (delivered via UPS) were just the TV boxes themselves with no outer packaging.

I got it set up and so far so good. No damage to the screen and I have yet to notice any type of banding or vignetting (though I haven't run any particular tests -- just watched some content/played a video game). But it looks like a great panel from what I've seen.

Another interesting thing is that it appears TCL added a label to the outside of the foam around the screen cautioning consumers about handling the TV, essentially saying to use two people to move it and to be sure to pick it up only by the bottom and the side with a note about how TV screens are "extremely fragile" replete with an illustration showing how the screen could be busted if it were picked up/pressure was applied in the wrong place. I may be crazy, but I am virtually certain my first two 6 series did not have this little insert.

Finally, forgive me for any dickish tone earlier - I've just been beating my head against the wall trying to get my hands on a non-defective 625. Never really had a consumer experience like this in my life. But I was committed to sticking with them and I'm glad I did. It looks great. I'll report back once I've been able to put it through its paces.

Last edited by ryams27; 10-08-2019 at 08:07 PM.
post #943 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Once they leave the factory, the freight company becomes your QC...

Life is Lambertian
post #944 of 1440 Old 10-08-2019, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

I got it set up and so far so good. No damage to the screen and I have yet to notice any type of banding or vignetting (though I haven't run any particular tests -- just watched some content/played a video game). But it looks like a great panel from what I've seen.

Happy you finally got a good panel!

This is my first large size LCD, I've had Plasma's as my main TV. How does one go about checking banding or vignetting?
post #945 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I think it’s interesting that the 8-series is on preorder only from Best Buy...guess they don’t want to risk damages to the units through Amazon and shipping companies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #946 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
I think it’s interesting that the 8-series is on preorder only from Best Buy...guess they don’t want to risk damages to the units through Amazon and shipping companies

Really! That has nothing to do with it.. You see exclusives all the time. I'm guessing that this one with BB will be a 30 day exclusive before it's available elsewhere.. This way you pay full retail for the TV because it eliminates all price matching from BB!
Gerry
Kizzer likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
post #947 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 549
It'd be nice if the BB near me would have it on the floor to look at. Last time I went in there to get eyeballs on the 6 series it was mounted 10 feet off the ground. Maybe this exclusivity thing is TCL playing nice with BB corporate so they can get adequate floor space.
theboomr likes this.

Life is Lambertian
post #948 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
Really! That has nothing to do with it.. You see exclusives all the time. I'm guessing that this one with BB will be a 30 day exclusive before it's available elsewhere.. This way you pay full retail for the TV because it eliminates all price matching from BB!

Gerry

Oh I see. I know exclusives happen a lot, I’ve just never seen it happen with TVs before.

post #949 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Oh I see. I know exclusives happen a lot, I’ve just never seen it happen with TVs before.

Vizio did it with their P series a couple of years ago..
post #950 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9171 Post(s)
Liked: 16169
Quote:
Not at all, actually. Bad luck, yes. Irrational? No. The reality is much TV packaging is not really designed to withstand rough handling.
lucacow and theboomr like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #951 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
By way of update, my third R625 came this afternoon via FedEx (purchased directly from Electronic Express). Interestingly, it was packaged with an additional outer box with the actual TV box inside (some air-padding in the corners between the TV box and the outer box). The previous two that came from Amazon (delivered via UPS) were just the TV boxes themselves with no outer packaging.

Another interesting thing is that it appears TCL added a label to the outside of the foam around the screen cautioning consumers about handling the TV, essentially saying to use two people to move it and to be sure to pick it up only by the bottom and the side with a note about how TV screens are "extremely fragile" replete with an illustration showing how the screen could be busted if it were picked up/pressure was applied in the wrong place. I may be crazy, but I am virtually certain my first two 6 series did not have this little insert.

Finally, forgive me for any dickish tone earlier - I've just been beating my head against the wall trying to get my hands on a non-defective 625. Never really had a consumer experience like this in my life. But I was committed to sticking with them and I'm glad I did. It looks great. I'll report back once I've been able to put it through its paces.

Hey, I'm glad you finally got a good one! I hope it works out well for you and we look forward to your impressions of the TV. I totally get your frustration, we have all been there at one point or another. You do research and obsess over a piece of gear and when you finally plop down your hard earned cash the whole experience sucks and makes you second guess the whole thing. Hopefully you are finally past the sucky part and can enjoy the TV.
ryams27 likes this.
post #952 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Out of curiosity, how many of you guys got an extended warranty? Tcl has been so prevalent as to have any 5 year models out there as far as I can tell. I was curios about their reliability.
post #953 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:

i believe the one I got from Amazon had the insert also. But it was shipped as-is, with just the TV box by itself (not inside an additional outer box). If the new ones comes this way, I'm glad TCL is taking measures given the negative cracked displays from the first batch.
post #954 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatrNol View Post
Bit the bullet. Went ahead and called Best Buy and initiated return of the 6-series 75" I bought last month and purchased the 75" 8-series. Swap and install date is set for 11/16 (14th was the first available for delivery/install). With some luck, the set will see a sale price in the not-to-distant future and I'll get a bit of a "rebate"

Go, go BLACK FRIDAY price cuts!!

I somewhat considered this but man I literally got a perfect 75 inch 6 series so I’m keeping it. What I would like to do is simply purchase another if the picture quality is really good on the 8 series. I really want HDMI 2.1 too though

post #955 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrdtakn View Post
Out of curiosity, how many of you guys got an extended warranty? Tcl has been so prevalent as to have any 5 year models out there as far as I can tell. I was curios about their reliability.
I sprang for the 5-yr Best Buy warranty. Sure, it was nearly $500 (and I rarely opt for such things), but getting 20% off with their annual tech plan (or whatever it's called) made the pill easier to swallow.
post #956 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I emailed TCL to ask them if the 8 series is 120Hz and this was there response:

We are glad to hear from you again. In response to your query, the 8-Series uses a technology called Natural Motion 480, which improves motion smoothing during reproduction of 24 fps movies and some other fast-paced content sources.

Our 5 and 6 series has the 120Hz refresh rate and the Natural Motion 480 is more superior than a 120Hz refresh rate.
Saunupe19111 likes this.
post #957 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 12:12 PM

TCL 8-Series, 6-Series QLED TVs Pricing & Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvy56 View Post
I emailed TCL to ask them if the 8 series is 120Hz and this was there response:

We are glad to hear from you again. In response to your query, the 8-Series uses a technology called Natural Motion 480, which improves motion smoothing during reproduction of 24 fps movies and some other fast-paced content sources.

Our 5 and 6 series has the 120Hz refresh rate and the Natural Motion 480 is more superior than a 120Hz refresh rate.

Lmao. Keep in mind the current 75 inch 6 series has Natural Motion 480 too. It’s plastered right on the shipping box in huge letters. With that being said I don’t have any motion blur and I’m extremely sensitive to it while using 60fps, 30 fps, and 24 FPS sources. This is why I truly believe Rtings should have reviewed the current 75 inch 6 independently from its siblings rather than make assumptions.

With this being said I believe TCL has improved this processing on another 60hz panel for the 8 series. I believe this is part of their cost savings. And Let’s not be naive fellas because they would blatantly advertise it if it indeed was 120hz panels.

Matt2026 likes this.
post #958 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Has TCL not reached out to you here? Check your PM's. I think I posted earlier how they called me about my damaged unit - and what do you know I just happened to look at my private messages here - never do and a TCL person had pm'd me here before calling me.

So they are watching these threads and trying to help out if they can.
Kizzer likes this.
post #959 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunupe19111 View Post
Lmao. Keep in mind the current 75 inch 6 series has Natural Motion 480 too. It’s plastered right on the shipping box in huge letters. With that being said I don’t have any motion blur and I’m extremely sensitive to it while using 60fps, 30 fps, and 24 FPS sources. This is why I truly believe Rtings should have reviewed the current 75 inch 6 independently from its siblings rather than make assumptions.

With this being said I believe TCL has improved this processing on another 60hz panel for the 8 series. I believe this is part of their cost savings. And Let’s not be naive fellas because they would blatantly advertise it if it indeed was 120hz panels.

Well, they aren’t wrong. The 6-series IS 120hz....what they don’t say, however, is that only the 75” is a 120hz, not the 55” or 65”...tricky marketing is what it is

post #960 of 1440 Old 10-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Well, they aren’t wrong. The 6-series IS 120hz....what they don’t say, however, is that only the 75” is a 120hz, not the 55” or 65”...tricky marketing is what it is

Well people swear up and down the 75 inch 6 series isn’t a 120hz panel but in my opinion it still handles motions better than some 120hz panels...without the Soap Opera effect lmao. The processing is where it counts. I’ve learn to forget all of marketing hype and go view a panel myself after reading a review of it’s caveats. I believe these 8 series are going to be some nice TVs and I believe the new 6 series are going give all the other QLEDS a run for their money with their 60hz panels and 480 motion lmao

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
tcl , tcl 6-series , tcl 8-series

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page