TCL 8-Series, 6-Series QLED TVs - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1084Likes
post #991 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
I don't know...the Samsung Q90R with no gap wall mount is starting to look pretty tempting. On sale right now for $500 more than the 75" TCL 8-series.
In what size?

I still might go with the 8 Series if I were making that choice. Seen a decent amount of DSE complaints on the Q90's IIRC. Have to wait till 8 Series is in the wild, obviously, but the Mini LED should make uniformity almost a non issue. And while Samsungs reflection coating is world beating, I'm not a fan of what the wide angled layer does to contrast and clarity.

I'm not considering either ATM though. Will be on the market next year.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunupe19111 View Post
Yep and extra refresh rates are irrelevant if you got a RTX 2080 Super or better...PS4 Pro or Xbox 1 X if you game on consoles cause you are gaming at 4K 60Hz more than likely. That super low input lag of the R625 is where it counts too. Auto Game Mode is nice feature to if it works as seamless as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you meant to say RTX 2080 Super or worse?

120hz would only be irrelevant if you plan to get rid of this TV in a year, or if you have no plans on buying Nvidia's next card. I plan on getting their latest & greatest day one, and whatever is the best available CPU at that time (AMD 7nm+? Intel 10nm?) so I won't consider any TV that can't do 4K 120hz over HDMI 2.1.

post #993 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
In what size?

I still might go with the 8 Series if I were making that choice. Seen a decent amount of DSE complaints on the Q90's IIRC. Have to wait till 8 Series is in the wild, obviously, but the Mini LED should make uniformity almost a non issue. And while Samsungs reflection coating is world beating, I'm not a fan of what the wide angled layer does to contrast and clarity.

I'm not considering either ATM though. Will be on the market next year.
I "need" 75" or larger . We moved into a new house a few months ago and my 55" TV looks tiny because the den has vaulted ceilings and very open floor plan. I really want to wall mount and that no gap mount and one connect box from Samsung would make this look really tidy. I also get a lot of sunlight in the room due to second story windows with no blinds. A TV with good reflection handling would help a lot. I'm just putting myself into this self-imposed timeline to buy something which is never a good idea. We have a big family event for Halloween and I was hoping to have a new TV ready to go for that as this will be the first time most of my family and friends are seeing the house. I know I should really wait until the first of the year though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I think you meant to say RTX 2080 Super or worse?

120hz would only be irrelevant if you plan to get rid of this TV in a year, or if you have no plans on buying Nvidia's next card. I plan on getting their latest & greatest day one, and whatever is the best available CPU at that time (AMD 7nm+? Intel 10nm?) so I won't consider any TV that can't do 4K 120hz over HDMI 2.1.

Nah I meant what I said. I’m referring to 4K. 1440p on a big screen 4K TV is pointless to me. 120Hz gaming isn’t all that to me as some games are capped at 60Hz anyways. And Nvidias next card flagship card...if they release them next year...will be over $1200...I’ll pass I that.

post #995 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I "need" 75" or larger . We moved into a new house a few months ago and my 55" TV looks tiny because the den has vaulted ceilings and very open floor plan. I really want to wall mount and that no gap mount and one connect box from Samsung would make this look really tidy. I also get a lot of sunlight in the room due to second story windows with no blinds. A TV with good reflection handling would help a lot. I'm just putting myself into this self-imposed timeline to buy something which is never a good idea. We have a big family event for Halloween and I was hoping to have a new TV ready to go for that as this will be the first time most of my family and friends are seeing the house. I know I should really wait until the first of the year though.
So a 75" Q90R is now only $500 more than the MSRP for the 8 Series 75"? I can definitely see being tempted by that. The Q90R is a very good FALD, in spite of some of its flaws. I'd still probably lean 8 Series, just because of Mini LED. Panel lottery sucks lol, and Mini LED should make that practically a non issue. And unless TCL just drops the ball with their dimming algorithms, it should allow for a lot better contrast and bloom control as well.

Now if for some reason the 8 Series isn't 120hz native, or their motion handling is just poor, then that would make choosing the 8 Series harder. Have to see the reviews on that.
Saunupe19111 likes this.

post #996 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReSultZ View Post
Um no! 2080ti can run 60fps 4k ultra in many but not all games.

4K Ultra 120fps is 2021 or later cards.

Man 2080 Super handles every game I play at 4K ultra. Forza, Madden, COD beta, Gears 5, NBA 2k20 all get over 60fps in some cases. I can’t wait to play COD in a few week on this 75 inch 6 series. Now I may drop down to 1440p if COD’s ray tracing really enhances the game. We’ll see

post #997 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nah I meant what I said. I’m referring to 4K. 1440p on a big screen 4K TV is pointless to me. 120Hz gaming isn’t all that to me as some games are capped at 60Hz anyways. And Nvidias next card flagship card...if they release them next year...will be over $1200...I’ll pass I that.

So you are saying that if you have one of the best cards, that it makes no sense to play at 120hz, because you should be taking advantage of 4K and Ultra settings? Is that it? I love a pretty picture as much as anyone so I can kind of see that. I think it's a bit of an odd way of thinking, but I can get that.

120hz provides some distinct advantages in gaming, though, so I am all about high refresh rates balanced with great visuals. A lot of games have resolution scaling so you don't necessarily need to pick a specific res. You could choose 4K and then adjust the res scale to 75% and get like 1600p approximately with a 120hz refresh rate. Your TV will upscale any source lower than 4K to it's native res (4K) so if your TV is good at doing this, you will still get a great resulting image. I'd rather have actual 4K and 120hz, which is why I'll shell out for the 2180ti or whatever they call it, but given the choice of 4K 60hz or 1600p or 1800p 120hz, depending on the game, I'd opt for the latter.

Definitely love the look of 4K with Ultra settings though.

post #998 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
So you are saying that if you have one of the best cards, that it makes no sense to play at 120hz, because you should be taking advantage of 4K and Ultra settings? Is that it? I love a pretty picture as much as anyone so I can kind of see that. I think it's a bit of an odd way of thinking, but I can get that.

120hz provides some distinct advantages in gaming, though, so I am all about high refresh rates balanced with great visuals. A lot of games have resolution scaling so you don't necessarily need to pick a specific res. You could choose 4K and then adjust the res scale to 75% and get like 1600p approximately with a 120hz refresh rate. Your TV will upscale any source lower than 4K to it's native res (4K) so if your TV is good at doing this, you will still get a great resulting image. I'd rather have actual 4K and 120hz, which is why I'll shell out for the 2180ti or whatever they call it, but given the choice of 4K 60hz or 1600p or 1800p 120hz, depending on the game, I'd opt for the latter.

Definitely love the look of 4K with Ultra settings though.

I just value the best graphics for field up depth, details, and just a beautiful image. Man I honestly can’t tell a huge difference between a smooth non tearing 60Hz TV or monitor
Vs 120Hz. So I would rather have the best 4K 60Hz TV that I can afford rather than a TV that has a lesser image quality but does 120Hz. And you still have to worry about syncing issues because I won’t tolerate any tearing. And I haven’t read anyone raving about 120Hz gaming on the Samsung’s and such with Nvidia cards. But yeah let’s hope for 120hz and better next year. But I’m not waiting that long.

post #999 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just value the best graphics for field up depth, details, and just a beautiful image. Man I honestly can’t tell a huge difference between a smooth non tearing 60Hz TV or monitor
Vs 120Hz. So I would rather have the best 4K 60Hz TV that I can afford rather than a TV that has a lesser image quality but does 120Hz. And you still have to worry about syncing issues because I won’t tolerate any tearing. And I haven’t read anyone raving about 120Hz gaming on the Samsung’s and such with Nvidia cards. But yeah let’s hope for 120hz and better next year. But I’m not waiting that long.

I can hear that if you don't see 120hz being a ton smoother than 60hz. Everyone's different. There are advantages there though, whether you can see them or not.

The extra frames makes aiming at moving targets easier, because their movements are less jerky and a lot smoother, and therefore easier to predict. The increase in refreshes automatically lowers your input lag from 60hz. And the extra refreshes gives you the ability to travel in time lol. If you are 120hz vs playing at 60hz, the extra refreshes could be the difference between aiming at a doorway and seeing someone come into view, vs aiming at a doorway and having someone materialize out of thin air and already be shooting at you before you were even aware. Or if you were that person playing at 120hz and walking through the door on someone playing at 60 (or worse) , you have the advantage of seeing them before their screen refreshes.

There's a reason why games like Destiny 2 are locked at 30fps on the Pro and X1X, even though the machines are capable of running D2 at 60fps. It's because it would give an advantage in multiplayer. MW is letting anything go, but they also have an opt out feature for those that don't want to be matched up with PC.
Saunupe19111 likes this.

post #1000 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I can hear that if you don't see 120hz being a ton smoother than 60hz. Everyone's different. There are advantages there though, whether you can see them or not.

The extra frames makes aiming at moving targets easier, because their movements are less jerky and a lot smoother, and therefore easier to predict. The increase in refreshes automatically lowers your input lag from 60hz. And the extra refreshes gives you the ability to travel in time lol. If you are 120hz vs playing at 60hz, the extra refreshes could be the difference between aiming at a doorway and seeing someone come into view, vs aiming at a doorway and having someone materialize out of thin air and already be shooting at you before you were even aware. Or if you were that person playing at 120hz and walking through the door on someone playing at 60 (or worse) , you have the advantage of seeing them before their screen refreshes.

There's a reason why games like Destiny 2 are locked at 30fps on the Pro and X1X, even though the machines are capable of running D2 at 60fps. It's because it would give an advantage in multiplayer. MW is letting anything go, but they also have an opt out feature for those that don't want to be matched up with PC.

Interesting I will keep that mind. Hopefully next year’s TVs will catch up with HDMI 2.1

Stuntman_Mike likes this.
post #1001 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
I don't know...the Samsung Q90R with no gap wall mount is starting to look pretty tempting. On sale right now for $500 more than the 75" TCL 8-series.
I think you can probably shave a few hundred off that without the mount of course . I have been eyeballing the Q90R for a couple months now. Having said that i'm not really thrilled with Samsung and the support stories, etc..
Gerry

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
post #1002 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Patel View Post
Should I sell my 75" Sony Z9F and get the 75" TCL 8-Series? I hate the blooming on the Z9F but love the brightness. I'm worried miniLED may not be as bright. Besides brightness, what about grey uniformity, black uniformity, color gradient, and motion? Sony does all those great. TCL not so much.
You forgot viewing angles. The Z9F gives you the exact same image quality edge-to-edge when sitting in the center. Not so much for any regular VA panel which will reduce in color saturation and contrast as you look away from center to the outer areas of the screen. Shadow detail will disappear at the center and washout at the outside due to gamma shift and raised blacks. Hopefully this TCL doesn't perform as poorly as the Z9D in this regard or in other areas where the Z9D sucked such as DSE and darkened edges/corners.
post #1003 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 11:26 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post
I think you can probably shave a few hundred off that without the mount of course . I have been eyeballing the Q90R for a couple months now. Having said that i'm not really thrilled with Samsung and the support stories, etc..
Gerry
I have a Q9FN upstairs - it's the second one I've had, as the first one developed a pixel wide line both vertically and horizontally after a couple of months. Samsung support was a joke - and I'm VERY happy I opted for the Best Buy extended warranty. They swapped it out... and later had to replace the one connect (if that's what the call it) box, as it was spontaneously restarting multiple times a day.

Last edited by GatrNol; 10-11-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #1004 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Not to get too far off topic but I'm curious...those that are contemplating the 8-series, specifically the 75" model, what other TV's are you considering if you decide not to wait or if the reviews don't pan out? Considering the MSRP of $2,999 I wonder what else would be comparable in that price point, plus or minus a few hundred bucks of course.
I know its not in the same price, but really the only other TV I am debating on is a 77" OLED (C9 or A9G). I am waiting for reviews to see if the $2k+ (compared to release date TCL pricing, and we know that price will fall) is really worth it for the OLED or if this TV gets close enough for me.

This is for a living room, so gaming is not an issue. This will be a purely entertainment TV for Sports/Movies/Shows. My issue with Samsung is no Dolby Vision support, which for me is big. More and more of my UHD discs are coming with DV and I have preferred that over HDR10. Sony LED sets seem to be good, but not great so I haven't been to sold on them yet. The Vizio's PQX seem plausible but their FALD algorithm seems to still need work and uniformity issues.

Where it gets interesting is for my office where I will be getting a 65" TV for Sports/Gaming. Currently have NV-Link 2080Tis and an ASUS PG27UQ for my PC gaming needs, but still want something for my XBX, PS4, Switch and next gen consoles. The 65" 8 series might also be the winner here as well for me over the 6 series. I think this is going to be where I have a harder time choosing.

*Out of date info*
Theater Room: Vizio P75Q, Sony STRDN1080, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Harmony Elite
Office: Panasonic ZT60, Denon AVR-X6300H, Harmony Elite, Oppo 103D, Apple TV 4K, Shield, ChromeCast Ultra, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Switch
post #1005 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilife17 View Post
I know its not in the same price, but really the only other TV I am debating on is a 77" OLED (C9 or A9G). I am waiting for reviews to see if the $2k+ (compared to release date TCL pricing, and we know that price will fall) is really worth it for the OLED or if this TV gets close enough for me.

This is for a living room, so gaming is not an issue. This will be a purely entertainment TV for Sports/Movies/Shows. My issue with Samsung is no Dolby Vision support, which for me is big. More and more of my UHD discs are coming with DV and I have preferred that over HDR10. Sony LED sets seem to be good, but not great so I haven't been to sold on them yet. The Vizio's PQX seem plausible but their FALD algorithm seems to still need work and uniformity issues.

Where it gets interesting is for my office where I will be getting a 65" TV for Sports/Gaming. Currently have NV-Link 2080Tis and an ASUS PG27UQ for my PC gaming needs, but still want something for my XBX, PS4, Switch and next gen consoles. The 65" 8 series might also be the winner here as well for me over the 6 series. I think this is going to be where I have a harder time choosing.
Yeah, I'm sure that 77" OLED would be awesome but I just can't spend that kind of money on a TV. Granted, I have spent that and more on projectors and lenses but it's been a while since I dropped that kind of coin on this hobby. I'm already cringing at spending $3k+ but for the size I need and the quality I expect that is pretty much the admission fee.

You mentioned the Vizio PXQ, I have read good reviews at rtings.com and the TV seems like it would work for me, the price is right. I had an older Vizio M-series before my current 6-series TCL and never had any issues with it. I really just want to do this and not have to upgrade in a year or two. Three plus year maybe...

I have an Xbox One X and turn it on every now and then but I'm not a serious gamer by any means. Never tried PC gaming but flight sims would be the thing to make me bite on that. I just don't want to go down that rabbit hole though.
post #1006 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Does it really matter about a 120hz tv? PC gaming can't even do [email protected] unless you spend lots of money on it. Next-Gen consoles more than likely will be [email protected] I would actually be surprised if the next-gen consoles got [email protected] but it won't happen $$$$$$$$.
post #1007 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermattman530 View Post
Does it really matter about a 120hz tv? PC gaming can't even do [email protected] unless you spend lots of money on it. Next-Gen consoles more than likely will be [email protected] I would actually be surprised if the next-gen consoles got [email protected] but it won't happen $$$$$$$$.
Next gen consoles are confirmed to output 4K 120hz and 8K at some... unknown hz...

I have money to spend so I'll be spending some of it on Nvidia's and AMD/Intel's latest and greatest. On Sony's PS5, as well. Oh, and on a TV that can actually do 4K 120hz or better, and that's at least 75". In short, yeah, it matters to me at least.

post #1008 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Next gen will be able to OUTPUT 4k/120hz. Not that next gen will be delivering actual real time gaming at 4k/120hz. I wouldn't expect XB2 and PS5 to be gaming real time at 4k/120hz. MAYBE 1080p/120hz for real time gaming. Unless you count CB rendering and other reconstruction methods as native resolution. I think 4k/60 will be the more common setting for next gen consoles.

The actual reason 120hz matters is because you can do 24p content without having to do 3:2 pulldown like you would on a 60hz screen. With 120hz you can just do 5:5, which will just make things way more consistent and appear smoother.

*Out of date info*
Theater Room: Vizio P75Q, Sony STRDN1080, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Harmony Elite
Office: Panasonic ZT60, Denon AVR-X6300H, Harmony Elite, Oppo 103D, Apple TV 4K, Shield, ChromeCast Ultra, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Switch
post #1009 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermattman530 View Post
Sure almost nothing can do [email protected] right now, but a 120hz TV still allows you to play [email protected] (or sometimes [email protected]) games, and for some people that's just as important for gaming as the 4K aspect is for non-gaming media.
post #1010 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
I believe someone mentioned that the new 6-series in 75" might follow the same release schedule as last years 6-series. If that's true then I would expect an announcement about that release for January next year.
Thanks. I'm hoping it comes out sooner.
post #1011 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Another review TCL 6 series:

https://youtu.be/QLZ-Ao9T4Io
post #1012 of 1514 Old 10-11-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 280
CNET video review.

post #1013 of 1514 Old 10-12-2019, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Shouldn't these be in the 6 series thread?
This thread is about both 6 and 8 series. There is another thread that is about the 8 series only, and yet another about the 6.
post #1014 of 1514 Old 10-12-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Not sure if this was posted yet. Quick confirmation of some 8 series specs on the 65" variant:
768 zones, 20 LEDs per zone (probably 5x4). 1500 nits. 100/120 Hz panel.
The 75" looks similar but with 892 zones of 28 LEDs (each 7x4)

post #1015 of 1514 Old 10-12-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 26434
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
This thread is about both 6 and 8 series. There is another thread that is about the 8 series only, and yet another about the 6.
Sorry about that, got too many of these TCL threads going. I deleted my post

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #1016 of 1514 Old 10-12-2019, 01:21 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9427 Post(s)
Liked: 6110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Not sure if this was posted yet. Quick confirmation of some 8 series specs on the 65" variant:
768 zones, 20 LEDs per zone (probably 5x4). 1500 nits. 100/120 Hz panel.
The 75" looks similar but with 892 zones of 28 LEDs (each 7x4)

https://youtu.be/fq9FAWLazTM?t=258
So they dropped the 75" from their earlier spec of 1000 zones?

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1017 of 1514 Old 10-12-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Sorry about that, got too many of these TCL threads going. I deleted my post
It's oh so easy to forget which thread is which.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #1018 of 1514 Old 10-12-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm not sure that's the same set. I think that's a Euro model. From TCL's USA site

" CONTRAST CONTROL ZONES
Quantum Contrast is made of approximately 1,000 control zones – more zones than some of the highest-performance TVs in the market. This greatly improves performance and minimizes unwanted artifacts, such as “halos,” associated with other LED-LCD TVs "

https://www.tclusa.com/products/home...mart-tv-65q825
post #1019 of 1514 Old 10-12-2019, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
First off that's the 8K TV and the European version.. Nothing to do with the 4K USA version coming next month.
Gerry
aaronwt likes this.

Sony XBR 75X940E - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - ATV 4K - 2019 Shield TV Pro
post #1020 of 1514 Old 10-12-2019, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
All the Best Buy stores in a 250 mile radius are out of stock in the 6 series 65". I also can't order a TV for delivery. Anyone else seeing the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
tcl , tcl 6-series , tcl 8-series