AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   TCL 8-Series, 6-Series QLED TVs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3084598-tcl-8-series-6-series-qled-tvs.html)

imagic 08-15-2019 05:29 AM

TCL 8-Series, 6-Series QLED TVs
 
New for 2019 from TCL is the 8-series QLED, a 4K Roku TV that's the first to use mini-LED for its FALD array. Featuring 25,000 mini-LEDs illuminating 1000 zones with the help of quantum dots in both 65" and 75" sizes, this TV line is a leap forward for TCL. The 8-Series possesses picture quality that does true justice to today's HDR 4K content. Both sizes ship this fall at $1999 for the 65" and $2999 for the 75" 4K models. 8K 8-Series TVs will follow at 75" and larger sizes.

Click this link to read more.

Glap86 08-15-2019 06:17 AM

Very interested to see reviews on the 75" 8 series.


Was there any timing on the availability of the larger 8k TVs? I was hoping to snag something above 80" if I'm going LCD.

imagic 08-15-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glap86 (Post 58425718)
Very interested to see reviews on the 75" 8 series.


Was there any timing on the availability of the larger 8k TVs? I was hoping to snag something above 80" if I'm going LCD.

Sorry nothing concrete yet. But I did see one and it looked phenomenal.

family_guy 08-15-2019 06:30 AM

Is 65Q825 the correct model for the 65"? I was looking at TCL's website to get more detailed specs and the price there says $1599.

Zoland2020 08-15-2019 06:52 AM

TCL should do a 50 inch model of the 6 series for those who can't fit even a 55 inch TV in their spacing, that would be awesome if that happened.

imagic 08-15-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoland2020 (Post 58425854)
TCL should do a 50 inch model of the 6 series for those who can't fit even a 55 inch TV in their spacing, that would be awesome if that happened.

A 50" would also be an awesome option for use with a PC.

gondey99 08-15-2019 07:08 AM

What can I say? TCL has upped its game once again! This is definitely good news for the average consumer. This will put a dent into Samsung/Sony/Vizio. Other than Vizio and Hisense, how can Sony and Samsung compete with their over the top pricing? In addition, the mid-range tv is getting close to the performance of the two flagship tv producers. It's a win-win :D!!

wookiegr 08-15-2019 07:23 AM

Gaming features and eARC... without that pretty looks only get you so far.

imagic 08-15-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookiegr (Post 58425950)
Gaming features and eARC... without that pretty looks only get you so far.

Auto game mode is a feature for sure and latency will be low. I did not ask about eARC, but it is not mentioned in the specs.

scottwilkins 08-15-2019 07:52 AM

Very excited about this announcement. My current TCL 65 6 series is about 1 1/2 years old and really loving it. But if I can go up in size, then I'm very interested. I will wait for 1. reviews of the 8 series and 2. lower price. I'm sure the big price jump is partly due to new tariffs, and I expect those to go away eventually.

The screen of my current TCL is still crazy amazing to me, but it would be nice to remove some of the halo effect that still is there.

Also the Dolby Atmos included on the TV is interesting. I have a Samsung Atmos sound bar, that I hate with a passion. That sound bar is buggy, very buggy. Only reason I keep it is the "Night" mode that normalizes volume levels so that commercials aren't so LOUD! Too bad the TCL doesn't have a volume normalization feature built in. Blaring commercials and super quiet scenes in normal daily TV watching is annoying to me. Sure, I crank up the "movie" mode for movies where volume changes add to the experience, but just watching prime time or news or something, I much prefer a volume normalization application. Does anyone know if the TCL sound bars have this feature? Also, through ARC the sound bar is not any more loud overall than the TV is without the bar. The Samsung will get much louder, just not through ARC.

P.S. I had a great experience with TCL support when I complained on another forum about the Samsung sound bar not originally working. I blamed it on Samsung, but after my 3rd sound bar replacement and still no ARC sound something else was up. TCL support recognized that, contacted me (I didn't contact them...) and offered to replace the main board of my TV for free. Now the sound bar works. Big kudos for TCL on that move.

I'm also ticked that ARC doesn't support Dolby Atmos, at least from my research it doesn't. So the inclusion of a sound bar that does Atmos is still not quite up to par. With my Samsung, I'm required to provide a 3rd input directly to the sound bar from the source in order to get Atmos to work. It won't come directly from the TV from what I can tell with Atmos demos and such. I use my Xbox to do this, and it's annoying to have to fiddle with settings each time I want to get the full experience. Hopefully ARC will be updated in the future to allow this directly from the TV. I'm about done with external boxes/consoles and such on my main TV. Would much prefer a cleaner setup.

Good things I see from TCL, and can't wait for the hands on reviews of the 8 series! I hope they also improved the ROKU experience. The current TV I have the ROKU seems about the same as one of their "sticks", and not the premium ROKU devices. More power and more storage would be a big thing to me. Plus, the ability to use an SD card for more storage possibly.

WRXpilot 08-15-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gondey99 (Post 58425908)
This will put a dent into Samsung/Sony/Vizio. Other than Vizio and Hisense, how can Sony and Samsung compete with their over the top pricing?

Sony and Samsung will always have their fans, I'm not worried a bit about them, and they'll continue to gatekeep the good features in premium model lines that are 2X the equivalent value brands' TVs with similar capability.



I applaud market disruptors like Vizio and TCL, even Hisense more recently, and gladly give them my business (Vizio in my case, but the others were definitely in the running).

CaptinCrunch 08-15-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRXpilot (Post 58426086)
Sony and Samsung will always have their fans, I'm not worried a bit about them, and they'll continue to gatekeep the good features in premium model lines that are 2X the equivalent value brands' TVs with similar capability.



I applaud market disruptors like Vizio and TCL, even Hisense more recently, and gladly give them my business (Vizio in my case, but the others were definitely in the running).

TCL and Hisense are going to be the pushers in technology and preasure companys like Sony, Samsung, LG, and Vizio to up their game. How long will Sony hold out on moving back to Quantum Dot film? They are now the only major brand not using QD tech from Nanosys in any of their product lines. (Quantum Dot is needed to achive a 99.9% of DCI P3 color spectrum)

Sony's NEW BVM Mastering monitor is a dual-cell LCD that rivels OLED in blacks, and there are rumors that Sony is working on the same tech for their Master Series LCD line of products. Samsung may be going to route of mini LED like TCL but no official word on that, yet.

CES 2020 is going to be exciting with lots of NEW tech and consumer TV products to be released next Spring.

puddy77 08-15-2019 08:35 AM


imagic 08-15-2019 08:41 AM

This is pretty much the most disruptive 75" TV I have seen. It also happens to be exactly what I was telling the "big guys" they should be offering enthusiasts, back in the days of the curve and edgelit 4K.

Well, now we're here except it's TCL that struck first.

I seriously can't wait for the usual reputable sources to report on this TV since I don't want people to take my word for it. But anecdotally, the 8-Series TCL was so much better than the comparison TV (Q80) that all I could think about is how TCL is threatening the OLED "dark room viewing" hegemony.

With the lights on, the Samsung's anti-reflective coating showed why it may be worth getting for a living room TV that sees lots of daytime duty.

But oh boy... when you dim the lights the situation changes drastically. 1000 zones gets the job done. Plus if you are just watching TV or sports in the daytime the 8-Series can just power right through it because it's bright. So unless you watch movies with the lights on, the better FALD of the TCL likely matters more than the anti-reflective qualities of the screen.

roncruiser 08-15-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 58426292)
This is pretty much the most disruptive 75" TV I have seen. It also happens to be exactly what I was telling the "big guys" they should be offering enthusiasts, back in the days of the curve and edgelit 4K.

Well, now we're here except it's TCL that struck first.

I seriously can't wait for the usual reputable sources to report on this TV since I don't want people to take my word for it. But anecdotally, the 8-Series TCL was so much better than the comparison TV (Q80) that all I could think about is how TCL is threatening the OLED "dark room viewing" hegemony.

With the lights on, the Samsung's anti-reflective coating showed why it may be worth getting for a living room TV that sees lots of daytime duty.

But oh boy... when you dim the lights the situation changes drastically. 1000 zones gets the job done. Plus if you are just watching TV or sports in the daytime the 8-Series can just power right through it because it's bright. So unless you watch movies with the lights on, the better FALD of the TCL likely matters more than the anti-reflective qualities of the screen.

HDTVtest mentioned 1000 dimming zones, but did I miss something or are there more functional LED's that are not enabled...

ohiocardsfan 08-15-2019 08:56 AM

The 75 inch 8 series 4K has already dropped in price according to the TCL website. The suggested price is now $2599.99!

imagic 08-15-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiocardsfan (Post 58426356)
The 75 inch 8 series 4K has already dropped in price according to the TCL website. The suggested price is now $2599.99!

Regret to inform that is an error and the prices I published are accurate. According to TCL, its website will be updated to reflect this.

imagic 08-15-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roncruiser (Post 58426336)
HDTVtest mentioned 1000 dimming zones, but did I miss something or are there more functional LED's that are not enabled...

The 1000 zones contain a total of 25,000 mini-LEDs, i.e. multiple LEDs per zone.

Lethean 08-15-2019 09:26 AM

I saw no mention of a 65 or 75 inch 6 series. Are they only doing a 55 inch?

Glap86 08-15-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 58426292)
This is pretty much the most disruptive 75" TV I have seen. It also happens to be exactly what I was telling the "big guys" they should be offering enthusiasts, back in the days of the curve and edgelit 4K.

Well, now we're here except it's TCL that struck first.

I seriously can't wait for the usual reputable sources to report on this TV since I don't want people to take my word for it. But anecdotally, the 8-Series TCL was so much better than the comparison TV (Q80) that all I could think about is how TCL is threatening the OLED "dark room viewing" hegemony.

With the lights on, the Samsung's anti-reflective coating showed why it may be worth getting for a living room TV that sees lots of daytime duty.

But oh boy... when you dim the lights the situation changes drastically. 1000 zones gets the job done. Plus if you are just watching TV or sports in the daytime the 8-Series can just power right through it because it's bright. So unless you watch movies with the lights on, the better FALD of the TCL likely matters more than the anti-reflective qualities of the screen.


I am currently deciding between 77" C9 and 82" Q90. This will be a tv for a basement/man-cave. While not totally light controlled, obviously light concerns are minimal down there. I find myself looking for any reason not to get the C9 because, while I love OLED PQ, burn in scares me, especially on a TV that will see heavy gaming/sports (static imagery with tickers, etc). But going from OLED PQ in a relatively dim space to an LCD scares the "fomo/gadget geek" part of me.



What you've said about the 8 series gives me a lot of hope (though I wish it had an 80+" size). Understanding that you have not compared them side-by-side, I'm curious your first impressions of the 8 series TCL versus the Q90.

imagic 08-15-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lethean (Post 58426532)
I saw no mention of a 65 or 75 inch 6 series. Are they only doing a 55 inch?

no. However, I'm not sure why the other sizes were not mentioned in the press release. I will send an email to TCL right now and find out what the other sizes will be.

Nouniard 08-15-2019 09:35 AM

There is a 65” version. Unfortunately no 75” version as of yet. Perhaps they’ll release a 75” 6-series at CES 2020 like last year. It is interesting to see that they now have no 75” model for the new TVs besides the top of the line 8-series & the current 4-series.

Looking forward to reviews for this 8-series and seeing the holiday prices.

pizza_shark 08-15-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 58426568)
no. However, I'm not sure why the other sizes were not mentioned in the press release. I will send an email to TCL right now and find out what the other sizes will be.

Any news about when they'll be released in Canada? The Canadian site hasn't updated and the roll out of the current 6-series has been slow here.

TheNameIsSam 08-15-2019 09:50 AM

The 8 series sounds like a great TV especially at it's price. At $2599.99, the 75" 8 Series is only $800 more than my 75" 6 Series originally cost.

I wonder if by not offering a 75" 6 Series, they are hoping those interested in a large TV will splurge for the 8 Series instead.



Even though it's unlikely I'll get one, I'm looking forward to seeing how TCL prices their 8K TVs.

imagic 08-15-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNameIsSam (Post 58426672)
The 8 series sounds like a great TV especially at it's price. At $2599.99, the 75" 8 Series is only $800 more than my 75" 6 Series originally cost.

I wonder if by not offering a 75" 6 Series, they are hoping those interested in a large TV will splurge for the 8 Series instead.

Even though it's unlikely I'll get one, I'm looking forward to seeing how TCL prices their 8K TVs.

Apparently that's an error. I already checked with TCL. The 65" price on the TCL website is now $1999, and I expect the 75" will soon show an MSRP of $2999, as per the press release.

imagic 08-15-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizza_shark (Post 58426666)
Any news about when they'll be released in Canada? The Canadian site hasn't updated and the roll out of the current 6-series has been slow here.

I do not have news about Canada but when I do I will share it.

Jeffrey Suchocki 08-15-2019 10:08 AM

While this is exciting to see, I can't help but be incredibly disappointed that, like Vizio, TCL is holding back on the 85" size. Commercially available 85" versions of affordable new premium TVs are becoming like Bigfoot--claims made by people (insiders/analysts in this case) that they saw it, but otherwise just "promises" that it exists to be seen by all at some undefined time in the future. LOL. Oh well. In the long run, probably better off to get the 2nd gen version.

KidHorn 08-15-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 58426378)
Regret to inform that is an error and the prices I published are accurate. According to TCL, its website will be updated to reflect this.

I wish I could unlike this

KidHorn 08-15-2019 10:20 AM

Looking forward to new LCDs coming out. Maybe LCD will finally be able to compete with OLED at the annual shootout.

theboomr 08-15-2019 10:23 AM

Very excited to see how the new 6 Series fares against the Hisense H9F! I predict it will probably perform slightly better, considering this will be TCL's 3rd iteration of that product line so they've got some experience there that Hisense doesn't necessarily have. But personally I still probably would go for the Hisense, since I've been wanting to switch to Android TV, and the Hisense has a 120hz panel too. That said, I shouldn't really be upgrading this year, my P607 isn't all that old and still works great (other than a really annoying bug with HDR from the Xbox being dim every time it gets engaged until I go to the TV home screen and then back to the input). But who knows :P


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.