AVS Forum banner

Can a 85 feel too big for 10 feet?

46K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  visigoth2020 
#1 ·
Sitting about 10 feet away.
Mainly watching movies and TV series.
I’m all for “the bigger the better”.
Biting myself trying to decide between the 75X950G and the 85X950G.
I know that based on the TV-distance-charts, 85 should be OK for that distance but when I visualize the 85 in my living room, it scares me.
I don’t want to buy the 75 and regret not going bigger.
I don’t want to buy the 85 and find out it isn't practical.
Is there any chance the 85 would feel too big?

#30 ·
My friend has a 185" projector 16x9 and we set his main seat up 10.5 feet from that. It's awesome and not too big.

#5 · (Edited)
^honestly I don't think their are many sets larger than 85 that aren't astronomically priced...I think you would be in projector territory there...I mean as long as you can manage a TV that size without interrupting your space you should be good to go.

#8 ·
I sit 7 feet from a 135" screen. 10 feet from 85" may not even be close enough to tell the difference between 4K resolution and 1080p resolution. It's definitely not too big. At 4K you need to be very close to see the differences. At minimum I'd try to be within 1 width of the screen.

#10 ·
From what I experienced, "as big as it gets" is great for movies, but I also use my TV as main computer monitor, which I wouldn't like any bigger.
I'm sitting about 5' from my 55" TV and when I reduced that to 4', I felt it was too big for regular computer duty.

Maybe sitting 5' from a 65" TV is better than sitting 4' from a 55" TV, even thou it's the same apparent size. I can't tell

#14 · (Edited)
Sitting about 10 feet away.

Mainly watching movies and TV series.

I’m all for “the bigger the better”.

Biting myself trying to decide between the 75X950G and the 85X950G.

I know that based on the TV-distance-charts, 85 should be OK for that distance but when I visualize the 85 in my living room, it scares me.

I don’t want to buy the 75 and regret not going bigger.

I don’t want to buy the 85 and find out it isn't practical.

Is there any chance the 85 would feel too big?

I sit 9' - 10’ from my 75” 900E (they did not have the 85” yet). It felt really big going from 60” to 75”. After a few months I wished I had a 85”. I plan on upgrading as soon as I can justify spending the money so soon. Only problem is the only place I can use my 75” after I replace it with an 85” is in the bedroom (have a built-in in the family room and 75” is too big).

Re field of view, when I did my calculations for my room at 10' a 75” would give you 30.5 degrees and 85” 34.3 degrees (37.9 degrees at 9' and 85"). The reference field of view width from SMTPE is 43.3 degrees and 20th Century Fox is slightly closer at 45 degrees so you should be fine and not have to move your head at all.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013314viewing-angles/

I used this spreadsheet to calculate distances and angles:
http://carltonbale.com/home-theater/home-theater-calculator/

So at 10’ I would highly recommend the 85”, it may take a while to get used to but I think worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
7' from 135". A little like watching a tennis match, isn't it? ;)

#17 · (Edited)
FYI the following link (scroll to bottom of article) has suggested seating distances for screen sizes and resolution.

With 100" and 1080p, it suggests you could sit between 10' and 17' and note the resolution difference.

You'll note that with a 135" screen displaying 4K UHD, one can sit up to 14 feet away and detect resolution difference.

FWIW it says up to 7' for my 65" screen. I sit at about 12'. I tried 10' and moved back. 7' was not an option.

To answer the OP's question, the graph says he could sit within 8' (85" display with 4K UHD) to detect the resolution.

But should detecting resolution be our eyes and brain's primary objective. I say no. Feel comfortable and enjoy. :)

https://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html

#18 ·
Not at all, the THX calculator for viewing distance: https://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
It makes sure you can take in the entire scene without having to move your head, some people like a slightly larger viewing angle (40 degrees) for more immersion but your 10 feet is spot on, not too close. I'm 8 feet away and am tempted to go 85" just because I can :eek: I can always move the chairs back 2 feet, right?

#26 ·
That's an interesting calculator. I've been wanting a bigger screen for my media room, where we sit 8 feet from a 75-inch display that I still love. According to the calculator, that's the right size and distance.

In our living room downstairs, where we watch most of our programming, we sit 12 feet away from a 65-inch display. The calculator says we should have a 100-inch screen at that distance. Maybe I've been looking at this backwards and should get something bigger downstairs.

#24 ·
I have an 85 at that sort of distance. I'm already looking at 120 inch short throw lasers....

Seggers

#25 · (Edited)
Well, I’ve bought the 85X950G.

TL;DR
If it was possible/available, I would have even gone larger to 95 or 105.

I’ve been using this TV for a week now.
After the initial 60-second-shock from its sheer size, it feels really natural in my living room.

First, the TV, as an electronic rectangle device mounted on the wall, looks very neat. It almost complete the surrounding furniture. So natural, that some guests don’t even notice I got a new TV at first glance.
The TV itself is spectacular in all contents. But I already knew that in advance after investing many hours reviewing it in the stores.
The size feels natural and as the time passes on, I’m certain I could have accommodated a larger set.

So, to validate the arguments you kind people have made – you were right. Buying the 75 would have definitely made me regretful. Had a 95 set been available, I might have even been regretful buying my 85.
I’m extremely happy with this purchase. Wish my TV a long and meaningful life.

#33 ·
I have pondered if this makes a difference for gamers, is there a point of diminishing returns where the screen is big enough to see all the little details (a far away target etc), but then gets too big where you are at a disadvantage because your eyes, or where they are focused at least, have to move a bigger distance to look from one side of the screen to the other? Like trying to watch two targets at opposite sides of the screen, that would both be in your primary vision on a 65" might be in your peripheral vision on an 85", at close enough distances?

#34 ·
You're already at a big disadvantage in a multiplayer game unless you're playing on a monitor while getting getting 240fps+ the whole time. The bigger the screen and less fps, The worse you will be.. 24-27 inch monitors is the sweet spot for this... Anything smaller than 24 is too small, anything over 27, is too big.. There is no limit to size for single player, unless you want to play fps games on a high difficulty level, but a 65 inch is way too big too.. You should only be playing on a 24-27 inch monitor while getting 240fps+ if you want to be the best at a game.....You get it yet pimpin??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.