Fireplace and new samsung QLED - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By budda109
  • 1 Post By Panson
  • 1 Post By Jon SS
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bofa89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Fireplace and new samsung QLED

I am on the verge of upgrading my TV, have my eyes set on a 82" Samsung Q80 and the price has finally dropped a little. My question is, how concerned should I be about heat from a fireplace? It will be above a gas fireplace with no mantle. I wish I could mount it somewhere else but it doesn't work to in this room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4516 (1).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	496.6 KB
ID:	2606908  

Last edited by bofa89; 08-25-2019 at 05:45 AM.
bofa89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 07:41 AM
Member
 
budda109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Heat is not a TV's friend. How hot does it get? Put a thermometer above the fire place. Run the fireplace. See if it gets too hot. You have no discoloration on the wall. And the drywall's fine? how hot does it get? That should give you your answer.
bofa89 likes this.
budda109 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bofa89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Good idea, really wish I could go back in time and get the fireplace that could redirect all of the heat....

Drywall is perfect by the fireplace.
bofa89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Turn fireplace on. Hold your hand about 20" above, as well as checking wall where TV will go with flat of palm. Test at half hour intervals for a couple of hours.

Suggest having professionals do the hanging and in-wall cabling. Good luck. Have fun. Should look nice.
bofa89 likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bofa89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Turn fireplace on. Hold your hand about 20" above, as well as checking wall where TV will go with flat of palm. Test at half hour intervals for a couple of hours.

Suggest having professionals do the hanging and in-wall cabling. Good luck. Have fun. Should look nice.
Thanks, I have a feeling its going to get way too hot.

For whatever reason, I kinda enjoy running wires and mounting TV's, although with 82 inch I will need some help.
bofa89 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jon SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 50
My wife is looking at new houses and all seem to have fireplaces like this. I was thinking I would remove the fireplace insert and convert the space to some form of rack or cabinet for a Centre speaker and put towers to each side. Just need to speak to contractors to see how easy that would be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Panson likes this.

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN
Jon SS is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post
My wife is looking at new houses and all seem to have fireplaces like this. I was thinking I would remove the fireplace insert and convert the space to some form of rack or cabinet for a Centre speaker and put towers to each side. Just need to speak to contractors to see how easy that would be.
Some things die hard.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bofa89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post
My wife is looking at new houses and all seem to have fireplaces like this. I was thinking I would remove the fireplace insert and convert the space to some form of rack or cabinet for a Centre speaker and put towers to each side. Just need to speak to contractors to see how easy that would be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worst part is this is a custom built house and I only have myself to blame... I originally designed the room this way without a fireplace and the fireplace was a last minute add as I was told every single house in my price range has one.

With that said, not sure what price point you are looking at, but some really expensive homes come with fireplaces that can have tvs above them no problem. The primo heat and glow is one but the darn thing is expensive, wish I would have spent the money now.

Regarding your question, if its a gas or electric fireplace, that would be super easy to do in most circumstances.
bofa89 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jon SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Fireplace and new samsung QLED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa89 View Post
Worst part is this is a custom built house and I only have myself to blame... I originally designed the room this way without a fireplace and the fireplace was a last minute add as I was told every single house in my price range has one.



With that said, not sure what price point you are looking at, but some really expensive homes come with fireplaces that can have tvs above them no problem. The primo heat and glow is one but the darn thing is expensive, wish I would have spent the money now.



Regarding your question, if its a gas or electric fireplace, that would be super easy to do in most circumstances.


My issue when looking at houses is more the the height I want my TV (eyes at around middle of Tv or 1/3 up) plus all the houses we have seen if they have been wired have been wired with in ceiling speakers.

My wife knows that right height for TV and no in ceiling speakers are important to me. I can live with in ceiling surround (and potentially in wall fronts) but I don’t want to give up my speakers as I love quality audio.

In your situation, I am wondering if you could put some type of ledge mantle to prevent the heat rising above it? Ie to block the heat?

Also how often would you put the fireplace on? We have lived in our current house for 15 years with 2 gas fireplaces and have never used them! I am all about utility now vs resale (within reason) so don’t mind if our next house does not have a fireplace if I plan to live there along time I would rather be able to watch my tv and listen to my audio for the next 15 years the way I like it LOL!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN

Last edited by Jon SS; 08-25-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Jon SS is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post
My issue when looking at houses is more the the height I want my TV (eyes at around middle of Tv or 1/3 up) plus all the houses we have seen if they have been wired have been wired with in ceiling speakers.

My wife knows that right height for TV and no in ceiling speakers are important to me. I can live with in ceiling surround (and potentially in wall fronts) but I don’t want to give up my speakers as I love quality audio.

I'm with you on the lack of need for a fireplace but just in case they make TV mounts for over the fireplace that extend and drop the TV down to a decent viewing height.


This is a link to one of the Monoprice models, https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoCa6cQAvD_BwE


They are also available from other manufactures.


Mantlemount https://www.mantelmount.com/

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jon SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Fireplace and new samsung QLED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I'm with you on the lack of need for a fireplace but just in case they make TV mounts for over the fireplace that extend and drop the TV down to a decent viewing height.


This is a link to one of the Monoprice models, https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoCa6cQAvD_BwE


They are also available from other manufactures.


Mantlemount https://www.mantelmount.com/


Thanks I have seen those as well. My dad uses one in his place. They are pretty cool, if the OP goes that way I recommend the automated ones.

They would actually work well for the OP situation since he is using a Sonos soundbar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN

Last edited by Jon SS; 08-25-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Jon SS is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bofa89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post
My issue when looking at houses is more the the height I want my TV (eyes at around middle of Tv or 1/3 up) plus all the houses we have seen if they have been wired have been wired with in ceiling speakers.

My wife knows that right height for TV and no in ceiling speakers are important to me. I can live with in ceiling surround (and potentially in wall fronts) but I don’t want to give up my speakers as I love quality audio.

In your situation, I am wondering if you could put some type of ledge mantle to prevent the heat rising above it? Ie to block the heat?

Also how often would you put the fireplace on? We have lived in our current house for 15 years with 2 gas fireplaces and have never used them! I am all about utility now vs resale (within reason) so don’t mind if our next house does not have a fireplace if I plan to live there along time I would rather be able to watch my tv and listen to my audio for the next 15 years the way I like it LOL!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have thought about installing an additional mantel above, problem is it has to be like 10 inches above the fireplace. I am also in process of considering installing tile etc. on the wall, so maybe I can incorporate that as part of the change.
bofa89 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 08-25-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
bofa89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I'm with you on the lack of need for a fireplace but just in case they make TV mounts for over the fireplace that extend and drop the TV down to a decent viewing height.


This is a link to one of the Monoprice models, https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...hoCa6cQAvD_BwE


They are also available from other manufactures.


Mantlemount https://www.mantelmount.com/
I have though about, pretty sure I will go with a bracket like that. I love monoprice, I buy a lot from that website.

Last edited by bofa89; 08-25-2019 at 06:14 PM.
bofa89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off