Chinese-made TV’s and Trump’s tariffs... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hky4life

post #1 of 6 Old 08-30-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Chinese-made TV’s and Trump’s tariffs...

I read that Trump’s tariffs will begin on Sept. 1. This will impact the cost of TV’s, among other things. For most of us, this will mean TCL and Hisense brands.

I would guess this involves those TV’s not already shipped from China. Is this correct? I’m asking as I am very interested in a couple of the 2019 TCL models. One of these, the 5-series models, has just arrived at Best Buy. Should I expect a price increase in those TV’s already at the store? IOW, if I want the 50s525, should I buy it tomorrow (8/31) to avoid a fairly significant price hike on 9/1?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-30-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
The tariffs affect merchandise that arrives at US Customs facilities on or after September 1. But who knows what the retailers will do. Will they maintain a two-tier pricing schedule (pre- and post-tariff), will they reprice everything to post-tariff prices on that date, or will they reprice everything after affected products are in their warehouses and shipping to their stores?

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 6 Old 08-30-2019, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Import Duties are required to be paid by the Importer [i.e. Best Buy or their agent] at the Port of entry before it can be released by US Customs. So there will be a delay of a week or more before they appear in local warehouses for delivery to users. But BB could raise prices at any time they choose for uniform pricing policies....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-30-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
I read that Trump’s tariffs will begin on Sept. 1. This will impact the cost of TV’s, among other things. For most of us, this will mean TCL and Hisense brands.

I would guess this involves those TV’s not already shipped from China. Is this correct? I’m asking as I am very interested in a couple of the 2019 TCL models. One of these, the 5-series models, has just arrived at Best Buy. Should I expect a price increase in those TV’s already at the store? IOW, if I want the 50s525, should I buy it tomorrow (8/31) to avoid a fairly significant price hike on 9/1?

Thanks for your help.
What you will likely see from BestBuy and other retailers, is a price increase following the Labour Day sales. It won't matter if it is a TV that was imported and has been sitting in the warehouse for months or a TV imported next week...they will both be at the higher price by September 3rd (or spet 1 if they currently on sale). The current regular price will likely become the new "on sale" price at some point in the future. So IF the TCL 50s525 is what you are wanting to purchase, I'd buy it before the end of the 31st to avoid the potential of a 10 to 20% increase on Sept 1.
PannyMann likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-31-2019, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks to all for the input.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-31-2019, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)