• 2 Post By TwayneP
  • 1 Post By Spewdom

post #1 of 27 Old 08-30-2019, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Q70R or Sony x95g

Hi, I would like to hear your recommendations. (I am a novice)

I no longer want to buy OLED due to Buring issues

I narrowed down to 2 TVS Samsung Q70R and Sony x950g

My main concern in Sony x95's speaker power is 20 W while Q70R is 40 W

1- is 20 W enough?

2- Screen, although they both have LCD, are the screens have the same quality? which one is better?

3- Age; I want to buy a TV for a lifetime, which one lasts longer Samsung QLED or Sony x95g?

4- picture quality

5- colors

6- games, motion, no lags

Your answers will determine my decision in choosing and buying. PLZ HELP ME
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-30-2019, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I myself might lean toward the Q70R for the better blacks for a dim or dark room. Probably the 900f or 950G if I didn't watch in dim or darkness. I myself have been considering the Sony 900f, 950G, Q70R, Vizio PQX and the new Hisense H9F and soon to be out TCL's. I'm in no hurry and willing to wait to see and hear all the scuttlebutt of those being considered. The Sony's are known to have flash lighting in the black bars that would drive me nuts otherwise I would probably pick one of the Sony's. They all have compromises and you just have to pick the poison of your choice. The current price of the Vizio makes me want to jump on one now but I just hear to many negatives on the Vizio's which is why I'm waiting to see more on the Hisense H9F and the 2 new TCL's. Been going to get into 4k for the last 2 years and now I decided again to jump in by the end of the year!

BTW I wouldn't be judging your choice on audio from any flat panel TV. Out of the box the Sony will probably give you the more accurate color and brighter picture and a little less screen reflections and the Samsung better blacks and a little more color pop. Viewing angle will probably be about the same on a 65" or smaller screen.
Mr. Ammar dfdf likes this.

Last edited by Craigslue; 08-30-2019 at 06:48 PM.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-30-2019, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a couple reviews of both TV's by the same reviewer. I suggest hunting down as many reviews of both TV's as you can and that will help you decide. This reviewer does give the nod to the Samsung for the same reason I probably would but I'm sure all reviewers won't agree, it's your job to decide who's right.

https://www.avforums.com/review/sams...d-review.16191
https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...v-review.16142
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-30-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looked at a 75" of each...side by side in BB. Same feed and both TV's set to Vivid setting. The Sony 950G was superior....better blacks. Froze a scene from a 4K BluRay and there were details in the shadows that were invisible in the Samsung and clear as day on the Sony. The Samsung was more color saturated and seemed to pop more but the black crushing was just too noticeable. This is of course with no calibration and adjustment but I'm confident the Sony will give better PQ after adjustments.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

I'm guessing the blacks would be crushed at BB in vivid compared to the Sony in a bright BB because the Sony blacks are not as black as the Q70 and the 75" with the wide angle filter will probably have even worse blacks than a 65" without the wide angle filter. I know at my BB the Sony and Samsung's are not positioned to see both at the same time let alone the same material which is why it's a good idea to search out as many reviews as possible to get numerous viewers opinions on what their eyes see. Obviously we all don't see the same. As far as I'm concerned comparing TV's of differing manufacture's against each other at BB or other retailer in a bright room is non informational. Viewing Sony against Sony and Samsung against Samsung can give you an idea of their differences but it's apples to oranges against differing manufacturer's without equal calibrations.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Overall they are comparable, including black level and local dimming performance (in real world). I prefer Sony these days over Samsung, due to more accurate and natural picture out of the box (and motion and processing).
Mr. Ammar dfdf likes this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #7 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Overall they are comparable, including black level and local dimming performance (in real world). I prefer Sony these days over Samsung, due to more accurate and natural picture out of the box (and motion and processing).

By real world, I assume you mean in a bright room. The blacks/dimming performance on the Q70 is superior to the Sony in a darkened room, but Sony retains details that could be crushed by Samsung.
post #8 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
1- is 20 W enough for a speaker in my room?
post #9 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 666
If you plan on gaming a lot the Q70R is a no brainer.
It supports AMD freesync as well as VRR applied when the games frame rate drops below the AMD supported range.

It will support 120hz(FPS) @ 1080P on the Xbox One X and will become even more important with the coming generation of Scarlett and PS5.

Input lag and panel refresh are some of the lowest in the business for non-gaming monitors.

I loveeeee Sony, but as a gamer they lag behind on features that benefit gamer's.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Rieper likes this.
post #10 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Q70R or Sony x95g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ammar dfdf View Post

1- is 20 W enough?

2- Screen, although they both have LCD, are the screens have the same quality? which one is better?

3- Age; I want to buy a TV for a lifetime, which one lasts longer Samsung QLED or Sony x95g?

4- picture quality

5- colors

I have older versions of both. For mine Sony hands down due to motion processing and more detail in dark scenes but hopefully Samsung has improved. I got the Samsung Q7 Curved last model produced so I think 2018.

This was my first and probably last Samsung as I will stick with Sony going forward due to motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN

Last edited by Jon SS; 09-02-2019 at 09:10 AM.
post #11 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1288 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
By real world, I assume you mean in a bright room. The blacks/dimming performance on the Q70 is superior to the Sony in a darkened room, but Sony retains details that could be crushed by Samsung.
No, in the dark too. Due to the dimming algorithm, bench tests to measure contrast don't do it justice. The sony gives better HDR impact.

Have you used both? Or just going off conception on the street?

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1560322947

This review talks about the dimming and HDR performance.
bobola likes this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #12 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
If you plan on gaming a lot the Q70R is a no brainer.
It supports AMD freesync as well as VRR applied when the games frame rate drops below the AMD supported range.

It will support 120hz(FPS) @ 1080P on the Xbox One X and will become even more important with the coming generation of Scarlett and PS5.

Input lag and panel refresh are some of the lowest in the business for non-gaming monitors.

I loveeeee Sony, but as a gamer they lag behind on features that benefit gamer's.

Except that the Samsung will switch to 120hz PWM in game mode. This is headache inducing and it looks terrible. If only they could remove this with a firmware update. It was the only thing holding me back from a Q90.
post #13 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

We all have different tolerances for different poisons that all TV's have and what we can tolerate. Both TV's are close with plus and minuses. I've always liked Sony TV's and would probably buy a Sony but the flash lighting in black bars that many have complained about as well as pointed out in the 2 reviews I posted would absolutely drive me nuts! As I said we have to pick what we can accept and what we can't. Exactly why I'm waiting to see the results of other new TV's. I've had plasma before LCD and preferred the Plasma over LCD's and right now watch a 5-6 year old Samsung LCD with non dimming full array 120hz panel that I really can't complain about as far as LCD's go. Really none of the issues that all LCD's seem to have these days and I think the contrast ratio is around 4000:1 or thereabouts if I remember an old review stating.

Mr. Ammar dfdf
To the original poster here are a couple more reviews stating the audio difference between the 2. Once again they will be close with the Sony maybe getting about 2db louder on average but the Samsung will have more bass. Only you can make the call for what you need for audio. Chances are just about any cheap sound bar will sound better. Scroll down the review to see the measurements of these TV's. You really need to search youtube for reviews of these TV's to get a better idea about both.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70-q70r-qled

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950g
post #14 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post
I've had plasma before LCD and preferred the Plasma over LCD's and right now watch a 5-6 year old Samsung LCD with non dimming full array 120hz panel that I really can't complain about as far as LCD's go. Really none of the issues that all LCD's seem to have these days and I think the contrast ratio is around 4000:1 or thereabouts if I remember an old review stating.
Most of the issues members here are complain about relate to local dimming, so not having any is a plus for regular TV watching. None of the FALD dimming schemes work properly for all scenes, some have less blooming with more black crush, others have more star field scene detail with more blooming, others process too slowly, while others don't have enough zones. Too make things worse, some manufacturers like Samsung don't allow you to even shut dimming off. Luckily for me, HDR has mostly become a gimmick for digitally-generated special effects in those lame costumed super hero movies I personally despise.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Except that the Samsung will switch to 120hz PWM in game mode. This is headache inducing and it looks terrible. If only they could remove this with a firmware update. It was the only thing holding me back from a Q90.
I didnt realize it switched over to 120 PWM in game mode.
Some people are more sensitive to the slight flicker caused by PWM frequency, me being one of them.

post #16 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 619
I’ve heard this 120 PWM issue mentioned before, but I haven’t noticed the slightest bit of flicker on my Q90. I will mark this one down in the win column.

Usually, I’m very sensitive to such issues. I still remember back to the days of DLP and the color wheel ‘rainbow effect’. I never could get on the DLP bandwagon, as RBE drove me completely insane!

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #17 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
No, in the dark too. Due to the dimming algorithm, bench tests to measure contrast don't do it justice. The sony gives better HDR impact.

Have you used both? Or just going off conception on the street?

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1560322947

This review talks about the dimming and HDR performance.

A literal direct comparison between the Q70 and the 950G. Sorry, Sony has distracting blooming, it's just the fact of the matter. Real world, aka bright rooms, I'd agree that it will give the better performance. But not in a darkened theater room.
Craigslue and LG4k like this.
post #18 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EbF9QxbmxA

A literal direct comparison between the Q70 and the 950G. Sorry, Sony has distracting blooming, it's just the fact of the matter. Real world, aka bright rooms, I'd agree that it will give the better performance. But not in a darkened theater room.
Yeah, the Q70 handles the black bars on letterbox movies very well.
Craigslue likes this.
post #19 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Most of the issues members here are complain about relate to local dimming, so not having any is a plus for regular TV watching. None of the FALD dimming schemes work properly for all scenes, some have less blooming with more black crush, others have more star field scene detail with more blooming, others process too slowly, while others don't have enough zones. Too make things worse, some manufacturers like Samsung don't allow you to even shut dimming off. Luckily for me, HDR has mostly become a gimmick for digitally-generated special effects in those lame costumed super hero movies I personally despise.
I'm aware of what most people are complaining about. I've been playing with this AV game many years and even calibrate my own TV's. When it comes to 4k HDR we'll see about calibrating? Not sure how different calibrating will be and from what I've been seeing the HDR thing is a big mess as far as content and hardware. Been going to get into the 4k for several years but have ended up with more important matters to deal with and in the past there just wasn't enough content to worry about but that has changed and will finally jump in toward the end of the year or thereabouts. I've always been an early adaptor until 4k came around, been burned and spent to much money playing the early adaptor and besides that I had gotten back into my original love of the automobile which is what I've been playing with most lately. As I have said they all have their issues like anything man makes and you have to pick what you can put up with the most. I know you can't turn the dimming off on the Samsung's and they also will dim some scenes to much but I can deal with that better than blooming in the black bars that most movies will have. To be honest I'm more interested in the expanded color aspect of 4k than the HDR brightness. BTW I agree on all the damn comic book super hero movies, I rarely watch them anymore.

Last edited by Craigslue; 08-31-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #20 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
To me after buying a Sony for the first it came down to a few things:

Motion
Upscaling
Natural colours
Fingers crossed reliability and after sales service - I still have my Ps2, PS3 and PS4 working well today. Plenty of dud Samsung’s.

Either way I don’t believe you can buy a device now that lasts forever. I would get an extended warranty on whatever you purchase even it seems steep in terms of price at the time.

Samsung will excel at gaming but I’m not a pro gamer so it’s not an issue for me. Simply can’t tell the difference between 20 and 40 milliseconds.

The Sony will have blooming and I suspect though Samsung will crush detail to preserve the black bars. It’s been noted by professional reviewers. This leads me to my last point if a company has to resort to trickery to sell a product I’m out day one. Your simply feeding the beast and if all they Desire is sales instead of an experience well I’m not interested. For me Sony was selling an experience so I gave them my very hard dollars this time around.

BTW as a brand I do like LG and I moved from Samsung to LG a number of years ago. It’s just their LCDs aren’t cutting it this time around in terms of dimming and upscaling. My LG LM8600 is still my second TV and going strong after nearly 6 1/2 years.
post #21 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I’ve heard this 120 PWM issue mentioned before, but I haven’t noticed the slightest bit of flicker on my Q90. I will mark this one down in the win column.

Usually, I’m very sensitive to such issues. I still remember back to the days of DLP and the color wheel ‘rainbow effect’. I never could get on the DLP bandwagon, as RBE drove me completely insane!
You don't notice backlight flicker or headache when in game mode? When in movie mode (and some other modes) it uses 960hz PWM, which is actually really good.
post #22 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't notice backlight flicker or headache when in game mode? When in movie mode (and some other modes) it uses 960hz PWM, which is actually really good.
No, I don’t notice it at all tbh.

Actually, I had a 6 hour gaming session last night and no problems. I’ve been gaming a fair amount lately.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #23 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
No, I don’t notice it at all tbh.

Actually, I had a 6 hour gaming session last night and no problems. I’ve been gaming a fair amount lately.
Good to know. Have you ever had problems with flicker and PWM before? Specifically on LCD's. Plasma flicker is different in the sense that it uses sub-fields to create a moving image.
post #24 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good to know. Have you ever had problems with flicker and PWM before? Specifically on LCD's. Plasma flicker is different in the sense that it uses sub-fields to create a moving image.
No, can’t say that I have ever noticed or experienced the issue.

Definitely do not dispute that it exists for others though.

post #25 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 2340
Quote:

1- is 20 W enough?
4- picture quality
5- colors
If you play games, like saturated colors, a little louder sound, then Q70R is probably for you.

If your emphasis is color accuracy, upscaling, motion, reliability, then X950G is probably for you.

Lifetime? That's highly unlikely with any electronics product.

You didn't mention size or wide angle preference. The Q70R line does not have Samsung's Ultra Viewing Angle. Sony's X-Wide Angle is only available in X950G's 75" and 85", not in 55" and 65".

Good luck. Have fun.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #26 of 27 Old 08-31-2019, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 122
[QUOTE=*UFO*;58497212][quote=BRAC;58496838

You don't notice backlight flicker or headache when in game mode? When in movie mode (and some other modes) it uses 960hz PWM, which is actually really good.[/QUOTE]

When True Motion is enabled PWM is 120hz in any mode. Flickers badly enough to sensitive people. It is not acceptable at all.
post #27 of 27 Old 09-01-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

1- is 20 W enough?

4- picture quality

5- colors

Going to hate me for this, but go look at the 90 vs. the 70. The 70 looks washed out compared to the 90, it was a noticeable difference even in best buy.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
qled , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page