Sony 65” lcd - x900f vs x950g - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By diononiz
  • 1 Post By Craigslue
  • 1 Post By Cheddarhead
  • 1 Post By Cheddarhead
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 09-08-2019, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony 65” lcd - x900f vs x950g

Guys.

I have decided on one of these 2 tvs. Please exclude the cost difference between the 2 as I can get them for around the same cost with the x950 a little more expensive. I think I know most of the major differences between these 2 tvs. I was all ready to get the X950G thinking that newer is better and saw some nice upgrades over the x900, however, I am reading that the 900f has a higher contrast, leading to darker blacks along with a wider color gambit. I went to best buy and compared the 2 65” tvs and the x900 looked to “pop” more than the 950, which I was surprised with. I am not sure if it was panel variance or if the settings for the 2 tvs were set differently or infact what I was seeing was accurate.

So my question is, does the picture on the x900 look noticeably better than the 950? What is your opinion? Some of the upgrades of the 950g seem really nice and helps future proof it but if the picture looks noticeably worse, then it might not be worth it. Are the picture quality differences just on paper or are they noticible? What tv should I get?

Please help!

Thank you
Avman66 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 09-08-2019, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
wpwj40e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avman66 View Post
Guys.

I have decided on one of these 2 tvs. Please exclude the cost difference between the 2 as I can get them for around the same cost with the x950 a little more expensive. I think I know most of the major differences between these 2 tvs. I was all ready to get the X950G thinking that newer is better and saw some nice upgrades over the x900, however, I am reading that the 900f has a higher contrast, leading to darker blacks along with a wider color gambit. I went to best buy and compared the 2 65” tvs and the x900 looked to “pop” more than the 950, which I was surprised with. I am not sure if it was panel variance or if the settings for the 2 tvs were set differently or infact what I was seeing was accurate.

So my question is, does the picture on the x900 look noticeably better than the 950? What is your opinion? Some of the upgrades of the 950g seem really nice and helps future proof it but if the picture looks noticeably worse, then it might not be worth it. Are the picture quality differences just on paper or are they noticible? What tv should I get?

Please he





Thank you
The 950g has worse contrast in the 75 and 85 sizes. This is due to the wide angle implementation in the larger sets. The 65in sets have the same contrast and color gamut.

The 950g will have the latest chipset and be less laggy in the ui. To my eyes in the 65 set there is no difference in the picture quality once the settings are done. Based upon your needs stated in a prior post I think you will be happy with the 900f.

Last edited by wpwj40e; 09-08-2019 at 11:14 PM.
wpwj40e is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 09-08-2019, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpwj40e View Post
The 950g has worse contrast in the 75 and 85 sizes. This is due to the wide angle implementation in the larger sets. The 65in sets have the same contrast and color gamut.

The 950g will have the latest chipset and be less laggy in the ui. To my eyes in the 65 set there is no difference in the picture quality once the settings are done. Based upon your needs stated in a prior post I think you will be happy with the 900f.
Hi again. What do you mean no difference “once settings are done”? You dont mean after a pro calibration just adjusting settings in the menu of the tv right? Cause I dont planning on paying for a calibration.

Also, here are a couple of links that mention the better contrast/black levels and wider color gambit of the 900f, which got me thinking:

https://www.4khdrtvcomparison.com/so...vs-xbr85x900f/. Check out toward the bottom of the article talking about the superiority of the 900f

http://https://www.rtings.com/tv/too...-x950g/585/764
Avman66 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 09-08-2019, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
wpwj40e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avman66 View Post
Hi again. What do you mean no difference “once settings are done”? You dont mean after a pro calibration just adjusting settings in the menu of the tv right? Cause I dont planning on paying for a calibration.

Also, here are a couple of links that mention the better contrast/black levels and wider color gambit of the 900f, which got me thinking:

https://www.4khdrtvcomparison.com/so...vs-xbr85x900f/. Check out toward the bottom of the article talking about the superiority of the 900f

http://https://www.rtings.com/tv/too...-x950g/585/764
That superiority talked about in the larger sizes is due to the lack of x-wide viewing technology in the 900f. Thus giving it better contrast over the 950g in the same sizes.

The settings are basic and can be done from ratings.com. Does not require a calibration as the Sony has excellent colors right out of the box.

Here is the link to the settings for the 900f:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f/settings
wpwj40e is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 09-09-2019, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Another question.

Are you forced to connect these tvs to the internet or can I skip that step?
Avman66 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 09-10-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nicktx27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Get the 950G if the cost is close.
Nicktx27 is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 09-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
The X950G has a number of small improvements that make it a better TV. If the cost is close, the X950G is the better set. I'd only get an X900F if it was hundreds less and the cash was important. Differences quickly off the top of my head.. 950 all ports full bandwidth, X1 Ultimate which processes image better (upscaling, etc.), faster SOC which means snappier UI experience, etc.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So, if looking at the 85" size: 900F at $3,000 or the 950G at $4,000; looks like the 900F is the way to go?
Quattro is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Member
 
snakster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lansdale PA
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
So, if looking at the 85" size: 900F at $3,000 or the 950G at $4,000; looks like the 900F is the way to go?
Similar to what I’m looking at except at 75” where the difference is currently 700. Most of the differences don’t matter to me. The only one that really does is the upgraded X1 chip. So it’s a question of whether that is worth $700.
snakster is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Member
 
diononiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakster View Post
Similar to what I’m looking at except at 75” where the difference is currently 700. Most of the differences don’t matter to me. The only one that really does is the upgraded X1 chip. So it’s a question of whether that is worth $700.

I think the 950G has:


X1 ultimate processor - not sure if this makes a difference.
Better wide angle viewing
Worse contrast due to wide angle
Brighter for both SDR and HDR
EArc HDMI
HDMI 2,1


Agree that the 950G is more future proof but not sure if it is worth the 1k in the 85 inch size. I currently have the 900F and have been impressed with the picture so far, especially for standard def (720p and 1080i over comcast).
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Mcintosh C2500, MC302, MC8207
B&W 804D3, HTM2D3
Marantz 7702 mkII
Oppo 203, Sony UBP-X800
Sony XBR85X900F living room, LG OLED65E7P (Bedroom), Sunbrite 46 Pro series (outside)
diononiz is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Member
 
snakster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lansdale PA
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz View Post
I think the 950G has:


X1 ultimate processor - not sure if this makes a difference.
Better wide angle viewing
Worse contrast due to wide angle
Brighter for both SDR and HDR
EArc HDMI
HDMI 2,1


Agree that the 950G is more future proof but not sure if it is worth the 1k in the 85 inch size. I currently have the 900F and have been impressed with the picture so far, especially for standard def (720p and 1080i over comcast).
Thanks. Yeah for me:
Wider viewing angle: don’t care.
Worse contrast due to wide angle: that’s meaningful due to the above
Brighter: that’s potentially interesting, but since both would be large improvement over what I have, it’s only a difference by degree.
EARC: don’t care. I don’t send sound from my tv
HDMI 2.1: as near as I can tell, I don’t care. Future tech? I guess. But nothing that concerns me for the next several years.

So it kinda comes down to the higher end X1 chip, which may or may not be a huge deal. But probably not enough by itself to justify the higher cost.

Thanks again. Very helpful.
snakster is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakster View Post
Thanks. Yeah for me:
Wider viewing angle: don’t care.
Worse contrast due to wide angle: that’s meaningful due to the above
Brighter: that’s potentially interesting, but since both would be large improvement over what I have, it’s only a difference by degree.
EARC: don’t care. I don’t send sound from my tv
HDMI 2.1: as near as I can tell, I don’t care. Future tech? I guess. But nothing that concerns me for the next several years.

So it kinda comes down to the higher end X1 chip, which may or may not be a huge deal. But probably not enough by itself to justify the higher cost.

Thanks again. Very helpful.

What are your sources? If cable the X1 Ultimate is reputed to do a better job upscaling those poor sources. If you will be streaming and using disks you don't need the improved chip.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Craigslue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Rtings reviewed 55" on both Sony's. It clearly says the 900F has marginally higher native contrast in the comparison of the 2 and you can also see the contrast is higher with and without local dimming engaged on the 900f. Another assumption is that the newer processor is better but the newer processor eliminates adjustments that the 900F allows the user to adjust and in certain circumstances the 900f has better motion where as the 950 only has an auto mode. Newer isn't always better. The newer chip may be better but not necessary the implementation of said chip. I myself have seen FlatpanelsHD.com and 4k.com prefer the 900f and I believe at least another one I'm forgetting. Since the 950g is brighter also means it will have worse blooming. I'm comparing the 2 and I'm leaning toward the 900f myself due to the fact that I've found the 900F should have the slight edge in picture quality but the differences will be negligible as stated on rtings between the 2 and the current prices reinforces my thoughts. In fact the 900F gets the nod over the 950g in rtings best 65" TV's for best color accuracy. I say if you don't need 4 hdr inputs or earc and not concerned on the streaming apps go for the 900f. My biggest concern is the Dolby Vision implementation on the 900f.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
Craigslue is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 10:08 PM
Member
 
diononiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post
Rtings reviewed 55" on both Sony's. It clearly says the 900F has marginally higher native contrast in the comparison of the 2 and you can also see the contrast is higher with and without local dimming engaged on the 900f. Another assumption is that the newer processor is better but the newer processor eliminates adjustments that the 900F allows the user to adjust and in certain circumstances the 900f has better motion where as the 950 only has an auto mode. Newer isn't always better. The newer chip may be better but not necessary the implementation of said chip. I myself have seen FlatpanelsHD.com and 4k.com prefer the 900f and I believe at least another one I'm forgetting. Since the 950g is brighter also means it will have worse blooming. I'm comparing the 2 and I'm leaning toward the 900f myself due to the fact that I've found the 900F should have the slight edge in picture quality but the differences will be negligible as stated on rtings between the 2 and the current prices reinforces my thoughts. In fact the 900F gets the nod over the 950g in rtings best 65" TV's for best color accuracy. I say if you don't need 4 hdr inputs or earc and not concerned on the streaming apps go for the 900f. My biggest concern is the Dolby Vision implementation on the 900f.
I have heard several times that the Dolby vision implementation is poor on the 900F. Just so I understand can you please explain it ? Thanks

Mcintosh C2500, MC302, MC8207
B&W 804D3, HTM2D3
Marantz 7702 mkII
Oppo 203, Sony UBP-X800
Sony XBR85X900F living room, LG OLED65E7P (Bedroom), Sunbrite 46 Pro series (outside)
diononiz is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 10:50 PM
Member
 
Rysa_105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The 950 is the better tv, having seen it side by side to the 900F, both in 75". Don't go by measurements, the human eye doesn't perceive contrast the same way a meter reads contrast on a black and white square test pattern. If native contrast measurement was what only counted, then the Z9D should have looked weaker in picture than a 940E because the contrast measurement on the 940E is higher, however seeing a Z9D next to the 940E, the Z9D is the better looking tv.
Rysa_105 is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Craigslue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Kansas
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz View Post
I have heard several times that the Dolby vision implementation is poor on the 900F. Just so I understand can you please explain it ? Thanks
Actually I can't. Sony implemented a different version of Dolby Vision. It requires a Bluray player that follows their rules to work with Sony TV's. I think the newer Sony players, the Panasonic 820 and the xbox one s/x. From what I've read the 950g has 2-3 modes for darker, brighter picture and the 900f only has one mode that was designed to be viewed in a dim room. Some say the 900f sucks and some say its fine thus my only major concern about the 900f.
Craigslue is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Member
 
snakster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lansdale PA
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
What are your sources? If cable the X1 Ultimate is reputed to do a better job upscaling those poor sources. If you will be streaming and using disks you don't need the improved chip.
Great info, thanks. Yes just streaming and disks. And really its about 98% streaming from various services. On rare occasion I'll pop in a disk.
snakster is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,496
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
The 950 is the better tv, having seen it side by side to the 900F, both in 75". Don't go by measurements, the human eye doesn't perceive contrast the same way a meter reads contrast on a black and white square test pattern. If native contrast measurement was what only counted, then the Z9D should have looked weaker in picture than a 940E because the contrast measurement on the 940E is higher, however seeing a Z9D next to the 940E, the Z9D is the better looking tv.
Re shopper due diligence, I think he/she should use all info that's available before making a decision. Such as, online reviews and tests, word-of-mouth (face-to-face, online forums), and in-store TV auditioning. All have valuable roles for decision making.

Reading reviews and tests can be daunting at first, but once one begins to decipher terminology, measurements, product difference, bias, etc., "the battle" is half won.

Spending a moment with measurements. I find them useful in side-by-side comparison, if there's a significant gap with the two measurements, and if they're about the same, how do they compare with other comparable product?

Native Contrast Ratio is one of the important measurements, especially if you're comparing a TV with wide angle tech to a TV without, and room suitability.

For too many years shoppers had to rely mostly on advertising and overzealous sales people. Take advantage of what's available now. Cheers.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Re shopper due diligence, I think he/she should use all info that's available before making a decision. Such as, online reviews and tests, word-of-mouth (face-to-face, online forums), and in-store TV auditioning. All have valuable roles for decision making.

Reading reviews and tests can be daunting at first, but once one begins to decipher terminology, measurements, product difference, bias, etc., "the battle" is half won.

Spending a moment with measurements. I find them useful in side-by-side comparison, if there's a significant gap with the two measurements, and if they're about the same, how do they compare with other comparable product?

Native Contrast Ratio is one of the important measurements, especially if you're comparing a TV with wide angle tech to a TV without, and room suitability.

For too many years shoppers had to rely mostly on advertising and overzealous sales people. Take advantage of what's available now. Cheers.
I would agree with most of this except for a FALD TV native contrast ratio is not quite as important because when FALD is activated the effective contrast ratio can change quite drastically. It is the same with clouding, FALD reduces the effects of clouding quite well. Of course this is assuming the FALD is well implemented.

Note: I said Native Contrast Ratio is less important not irrelevant.
Panson likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,496
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I would agree with most of this except for a FALD TV native contrast ratio is not quite as important because when FALD is activated the effective contrast ratio can change quite drastically. It is the same with clouding, FALD reduces the effects of clouding quite well. Of course this is assuming the FALD is well implemented.

Note: I said Native Contrast Ratio is less important not irrelevant.
I'd say Native Contrast Ratio is relative rather than less important, if we're talking two FALD TVs (X900F, X950G), one with wide angle tech. Both are boosted. I differ with "drastic", but won't argue.

Agree, clouding is reduced substantially with FALD. It's seen more in Sony 800 series.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 11-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 667
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I'd say Native Contrast Ratio is relative rather than less important, if we're talking two FALD TVs (X900F, X950G), one with wide angle tech. Both are boosted. I differ with "drastic", but won't argue.

Agree, clouding is reduced substantially with FALD. It's seen more in Sony 800 series.

Yes, that is a good way to put it relative.
Panson likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 11-26-2019, 06:08 AM
Member
 
NewShockerGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakster View Post
Similar to what I’m looking at except at 75” where the difference is currently 700. Most of the differences don’t matter to me. The only one that really does is the upgraded X1 chip. So it’s a question of whether that is worth $700.
That's where I am at right now! I walked into BBY two days ago with the intent on purchasing a Samsung Q80R. Looked fantastic. After the Magnolia guy was asking me questions on where the tv is going and what I am using it for he started showing me the Sony 900F and the 950G... The tv is going in the basement where no direct sunlight will hit it and it's just overhead recessed lighting. I only watch Netflix/Prime. No sports, no cable/direct tv...etc. Play xbox 360 sometimes, and will have a raspberry pi- retro pi hooked up to it to play old school NES/SNES/Genesis games.


I think the picture DOES in fact look nicer than the Samsung.. But... You are 100% right. The 75" 900F is currently $1800 and the 950G is $2500. I'm having a really hard time justifying a $700 increase between the two. This tv is replacing a 47" 12 year old Visio LCD...lol Anything I get now is going to be better.


I just keep reading things about the blooming, dolby vision, and the google tv slow interface/ugly old remote. Those really are the things that are making me wonder if I should even be looking at the Sony 900F, because it's 2 years old.


-Nigel

__________________________________

~NSG~
NewShockerGuy is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 11-26-2019, 06:46 AM
Member
 
CaptainZombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakster View Post
Similar to what I’️m looking at except at 75â€Â where the difference is currently 700. Most of the differences don’️t matter to me. The only one that really does is the upgraded X1 chip. So it’️s a question of whether that is worth $700.
That's where I am at right now! I walked into BBY two days ago with the intent on purchasing a Samsung Q80R. Looked fantastic. After the Magnolia guy was asking me questions on where the tv is going and what I am using it for he started showing me the Sony 900F and the 950G... The tv is going in the basement where no direct sunlight will hit it and it's just overhead recessed lighting. I only watch Netflix/Prime. No sports, no cable/direct tv...etc. Play xbox 360 sometimes, and will have a raspberry pi- retro pi hooked up to it to play old school NES/SNES/Genesis games.


I think the picture DOES in fact look nicer than the Samsung.. But... You are 100% right. The 75" 900F is currently $1800 and the 950G is $2500. I'm having a really hard time justifying a $700 increase between the two. This tv is replacing a 47" 12 year old Visio LCD...lol Anything I get now is going to be better.


I just keep reading things about the blooming, dolby vision, and the google tv slow interface/ugly old remote. Those really are the things that are making me wonder if I should even be looking at the Sony 900F, because it's 2 years old.


-Nigel
I created a similar thread yesterday trying to decide between the 75” 900F v 950G. I currently have a X850B about 4 yrs old that is going to get moved into the basement. Like you, I can afford the extra $700 but that to me is what has me a little hesitant on the 950G. Very oddballish that Sony would charge that much of a premium. I am leaning towards the 950G but check my thread too for some thoughts, but it’s on the 75”. I had seen the 950G on sale a few weeks ago for $2299, and should of jumped on it then. The 900F though doesn’t look like a bad TV at all either just stinks it’s 2 years old and I have some of the similar issues with that you do too that is leaning me towards the 950G.

Granted the TVs next year will probably have HDMI 2.1, VRR, OLED could become the standard, etc but playing the waiting game till next year is no fun as there is always something new around the corner.

I’ve had Samsung’s too in the past, but I just love the natural image quality that the Sonys have always provided. I haven’t been one bit disappointed by the 850B and I bought this a year before HDR was introduced so I have just the 4K display but this TV still amazes me for its age considering how much technology has advanced.

Last edited by CaptainZombi; 11-26-2019 at 08:37 AM.
CaptainZombi is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 12-02-2019, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guys. I just wanted to report back. I got the 65” x950g and I Love it. I was very worried about blooming and poor black levels. It has none of that, at least none I can see. I was very worried about buyers remorse and I have none. Completely satisfied. I would have loved even more to go for the z series but it was more than double the cost and it wasn't worth it for me.
Avman66 is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 12-02-2019, 03:41 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was there this weekend in bestbuy and they had them 1-1 stacked up both 65 and 75. They were playing the Avengers endgame war disc and I have to say the 900f has more pop, looked slightly brighter and colorful and better. Both looked spectacular enough though. If I can mention the price though, the 950 is 700$ more.

I have to say, I went back home and rewatched the same sequence on my PX75 and I was blown away with mine. There are so many good TVs out there, you need to pick your poison. So, if you do care for the hdmi2.1 and a newer processor, maybe go with the 950g.
maxkirkiri is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off