55 Inch or 65 Inch - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By tonyjspr9
  • 1 Post By TwayneP
  • 1 Post By tonyjspr9
  • 1 Post By TwayneP
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kizzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Question 55 Inch or 65 Inch

I can not afford a higher end 65 inch TV. I currently have a 60 inch, 7 year old Plasma that is starting to fade and doesn't have many smart apps.

Would I be better off buying a higher end 55 inch or a lower end 65 inch?
Kizzer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 11:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
I can not afford a higher end 65 inch TV. I currently have a 60 inch, 7 year old Plasma that is starting to fade and doesn't have many smart apps.

Would I be better off buying a higher end 55 inch or a lower end 65 inch?
How far away is your viewing seating from the screen? What is your budget? High end 55"? So you are thinking about getting the new 55" Q900r?
Kizzer likes this.

Last edited by tonyjspr9; 09-11-2019 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Left out funny emoji
tonyjspr9 is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 09-11-2019, 11:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
How far away is your viewing seating from the screen? What is your budget? High end 55"? So you are thinking about getting the new 55" Q900r?

He's probably thinking OLED. In that case, I'd say it's going to be tough losing that 5 inches, but OLED is the only option a former Plasma owner really has to live up to that quality. So that's what I'd go for.


Otherwise that 65 inch LCD would have to be pretty stellar, but the price ceiling is an issue.
Kizzer likes this.
TwayneP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Kizzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 71
With a budget under $1000 I know I am limited.

The plasma I have has never been very user friendly (it's an LG) and they not update it with much content now since it is 7 years old.

When I look at even $800-$1000 displays in stores, I am jealous that my plasma doesn't look that good.

Now with 4k out, I feel I am missing a LOT.
Kizzer is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 12:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
He's probably thinking OLED. In that case, I'd say it's going to be tough losing that 5 inches, but OLED is the only option a former Plasma owner really has to live up to that quality. So that's what I'd go for.


Otherwise that 65 inch LCD would have to be pretty stellar, but the price ceiling is an issue.
Yeah I figured OLED but he did post his question in the "LCD Display Devices" forum. lol

If he responds with more information like viewing distance, budget, intended uses, etc. maybe we can help him make up his mind on size as well as a few tv suggestions.
tonyjspr9 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
With a budget under $1000 I know I am limited.

The plasma I have has never been very user friendly (it's an LG) and they not update it with much content now since it is 7 years old.

When I look at even $800-$1000 displays in stores, I am jealous that my plasma doesn't look that good.

Now with 4k out, I feel I am missing a LOT.
With that budget I would consider a TCL 6 series or maybe Hisense H9F tv in 65" if your viewing distance is 8 feet or greater. I have a TCL 6 series and it is a very enjoyable TV to use everyday.
Kizzer likes this.
tonyjspr9 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
With a budget under $1000 I know I am limited.

The plasma I have has never been very user friendly (it's an LG) and they not update it with much content now since it is 7 years old.

When I look at even $800-$1000 displays in stores, I am jealous that my plasma doesn't look that good.

Now with 4k out, I feel I am missing a LOT.

Ah okay then. Well, with under 1000 it's going to be tough. Hmm. Vizio, Hisense and TCL come to mind. The new TCL 6 series is due out this month and is a QLED with all the nice features you'd want for nice and cheap.

I'd stay away from any LG LCD's entirely. That will be your worst nightmare coming from even an older Plasma.
Kizzer likes this.
TwayneP is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 09-14-2019, 04:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
With that budget I would look at the TCL series in a 65". If you can save more take a look at the Mid-range line from Sony. Sometimes you can catch a deal at $1500 and under. Don't buy a 55", it is too small in the here and now.

As far as OLED ,it is simply not true coming from plasma one should go OLED. Modern day LCD's are very competitive with those old plasma's (especially after you find the right settings)
Majcric is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 149
65" for sure. Wow, definitely don't go down in size! lol

If you look hard enough, I bet you could find a 65" Sony X900F in your price range.

Or check out the TCL 6 series.

Maybe a Vizio like the M series.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 09-16-2019, 08:19 PM
Member
 
lucacow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 36
55 Inch or 65 Inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
65" for sure. Wow, definitely don't go down in size! lol



If you look hard enough, I bet you could find a 65" Sony X900F in your price range.



Or check out the TCL 6 series.



Maybe a Vizio like the M series.


What petrolhead said! Do NOT go down in size. I second the 65” TCL if the Sony X900F is out of your price range. Although I’d get the TCL over the M series.

The TCL offers the best bang for the buck at this moment imo. And if you’re a Costco member, you can get them there with an included two year warranty (Costco adds a year after the manufacturers warranty) and you can opt for an additional square trade warranty if you want, adding 3 years for a total of 5. That’s what I’d recommend.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucacow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off