Epson Debuts LS500 Laser Projection TV at CEDIA 2019 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #61 of 72 Old 09-21-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3835 Post(s)
Liked: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
... Epson is not known for fibbing about lumen output ...
While many projector companies are known to exaggerate specifications, almost every one of the many dozens of independently conducted tests of Epson projectors I've read has measured higher actual maximum lumens than Epson's claimed specification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 09-23-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 12
what are the dimensions of the 2 screen options with the LS500?
post #63 of 72 Old 09-24-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodof View Post
what are the dimensions of the 2 screen options with the LS500?
How accurate do you need the dimensions to be? A 16:9 aspect ratio 100" screen has a viewing area of 49"x82" and a 120" screen is 59"x105". From the Epson images it appears that the screens have narrow bezels of 1" or less, so add 2" to each of the viewing area dimensions and you get 51"x84" and 61"x107" respectively. Fixed screen depth is typically 1"-2".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 72 Old 09-24-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
How accurate do you need the dimensions to be? A 16:9 aspect ratio 100" screen has a viewing area of 49"x82" and a 120" screen is 59"x105". From the Epson images it appears that the screens have narrow bezels of 1" or less, so add 2" to each of the viewing area dimensions and you get 51"x84" and 61"x107" respectively. Fixed screen depth is typically 1"-2".
actual dimensions of screen,regardless of viewing area,is not the 120" a 10 foot diagonal? or merely 107"?
post #65 of 72 Old 09-24-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodof View Post
actual dimensions of screen,regardless of viewing area,is not the 120" a 10 foot diagonal? or merely 107"?
You seem to be confusing length with diagonal. A 49"x82" viewing area has a 100" diagonal and a 59"x105" viewing area has a 120" diagonal. Add the width of the bezels to the length and width of the viewing area to get the screen's overall length and width. The diagonal of the viewing areas remain 100" and 120" respectively as the bezels are not included in screen diagonal dimensions.
post #66 of 72 Old 09-25-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I'm hoping this triggers other OEMs to create similar solutions for large screen non-TV displays. All of the short throw projectors I've researched in the past have been far beyond budget and I can't do a larger scale installation of an overhead here.

Best,
Mike
post #67 of 72 Old 10-07-2019, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Anyone still interested in 3D should also consider this unit -- T.V.s are no longer 3D capable. So, not only can you get a huge T.V. like image but you also have the 3D option (imagine a bright 3D image on a 120" screen).

I currently own and use products made by LG, Sony, Samsung, JVC and Epson. I wouldn't think twice about buying another Epson product.
What has prevented me from getting an Epson for 3D are the reports of cross talk. I have owned Sony and currently have a JVC and a Benq DLP just for 3D. Any reason to think a laser source could somehow reduce the cross talk? My thinking based on existing products is Epson <= JVC < Sony < DLP for 3D cross talk. Since you have an Epson and a JVC would you say the Cross Talk is similar for them or rank them different for this one metric?

I will take what I can get for new 3D displays but a purchase of this would be mostly for 3D in my setup and cross talk really bothers me.

I would also need an option to purchase without the screen.
post #68 of 72 Old 10-19-2019, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Sorry if this is a dumb question but can you game on this?
post #69 of 72 Old 10-20-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by genki View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but can you game on this?
Of course. Projectors have video inputs just like any display device. Maybe your question isn't specific enough?

post #70 of 72 Old 10-23-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersdlp View Post
What has prevented me from getting an Epson for 3D are the reports of cross talk. I have owned Sony and currently have a JVC and a Benq DLP just for 3D. Any reason to think a laser source could somehow reduce the cross talk? My thinking based on existing products is Epson <= JVC < Sony < DLP for 3D cross talk. Since you have an Epson and a JVC would you say the Cross Talk is similar for them or rank them different for this one metric?

I will take what I can get for new 3D displays but a purchase of this would be mostly for 3D in my setup and cross talk really bothers me.

I would also need an option to purchase without the screen.
I have a number of 3D DLP projectors, two JVC 3D projectors and the Epson laser LS10000.

Here's how I rate them for cross-talk -- DLP (1); Epson LS10000 (2) and then the JVCs (3). The JVCs are really good for 3D with very little cross-talk; however I found that by increasing the 3D depth in the Epson's menu to +2 virtually all cross-talk was eliminated (it took me nearly 3 years to try this -- prior to this I was disappointed with the Epson's 3D). Both the Epson and JVCs have very good black levels and contrast and for this reason (combined with very little cross-talk) they are my overall favourite 3D projectors (Epson no. 1 followed by the two JVCs). If flicker bothers you then the Epson is superior to the JVCs. All of my non-DLPs projectors need ten to fifteen minutes to warm up prior to watching 3D (some cross-talk until they have those 10 to 15 minutes of warmup time).

If you get a chance to demo 3D on the short throw Epson and you see cross-talk, then try increasing the 3D depth to +2 and watch those scenes again.

My main concern about the short throw Epson projector would be its potential poor contrast and black levels.
fingersdlp likes this.
post #71 of 72 Old 10-23-2019, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
looks interesting, but the device itself is some kind of ugly ... Dont know if i want to have that in my living/hobby room

short distance projectors (picture comes from straight above) are the better alternative, for my opinion
post #72 of 72 Old 11-03-2019, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
I'd like to see a photo of the screen with the projector off. Is it black, dark grey, light, what? I'd also like to see a photo of a dark scene in Dark City or a Batman movie.

Thanks.
Photos won't give you an accurate representation of what the projector can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
cedia 2019 , epson ls500 , ust projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page