How do I know if a tv has acceptable speakers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MRAYB

post #1 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How do I know if a tv has acceptable speakers?

I'm looking at some of the following tv's on ebay (seeking 42-50") but want one that has acceptable speakers. I realize that's subjective but I'm not interested in theater sound and purchasing a sound bar. Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...kw=tv&_sacat=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 173
It looks from the ebay link that you're shopping by price. I see a lot of older models and refurb units.

Consumer Reports has an article TVs That Provide Great Sound Without Separate Speakers that provides some guidance (requires subscription). All of the specific displays are current models from major manufacturers, and out of your price range, but there's a pattern... no small displays. The smallest they recommend is a 55". That makes sense because sound quality frequently follows speaker size, and larger displays can fit bigger speakers.

I recently bought a new display, on a lark, and I now see a refurb unit on your link, TCL 55R615. I did very little research, just bought something for March Madness. I stumbled onto TCL, a Chinese mfr. that's become the largest selling brand in the US. The 55R615 is hard to beat at this price, and I can tell you that it will get quite loud without breaking up. TCL has a new model out, so I'm not surprised to see this one being discounted with older models (which reviews say should be ignored).

And I should add that I've found the Roku TV interface makes the 55R615 an excellent choice for streaming access, to the point that we've cut the cord, and I'm watching a 75R615 at the moment. The 55's in the living room and we sold two 60" plasmas. Good TV, this.

I have no idea if older TCL models work as well. Hopefully, someone else will chime in so you get some opinions on a variety of options ...

HAve fun,
Frank
post #3 of 9 Old 09-23-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyQuick View Post
I'm looking at some of the following tv's on ebay (seeking 42-50") but want one that has acceptable speakers. I realize that's subjective but I'm not interested in theater sound and purchasing a sound bar. Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...kw=tv&_sacat=0
I suggest avoiding unbranded and refurbished TVs.

Generally, TV speakers can vary from 7w to 20w per channel. Try Samsung for the 20w speakers. 50" model examples are RU6900, RU7100.

Good luck, have fun with whatever you choose.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-24-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Other than listening to it first hand, look for higher wattage, a higher number of speakers (drivers), a larger TV for the speakers to sit in, and look for a TV that specifically touts it's sound (but typically this will be a higher-priced TV).

Really, all TV's sound like crap. A few of the highest-end ones have "OK" sound.

If you look hard enough for a sale, you can find a soundbar for $35 that will blow any TV's speakers away, ten fold.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #5 of 9 Old 09-24-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Other than listening to it first hand, look for higher wattage, a higher number of speakers (drivers), a larger TV for the speakers to sit in, and look for a TV that specifically touts it's sound (but typically this will be a higher-priced TV).

Really, all TV's sound like crap. A few of the highest-end ones have "OK" sound.

If you look hard enough for a sale, you can find a soundbar for $35 that will blow any TV's speakers away, ten fold.
That's a fair point on the decreasing prices of soundbars. I just tend to be very judicious about the amount of things I have plugged in around the house.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-24-2019, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Understandable. And also, another device just complicates things. But unfortunately, with flat TV's came crappier speakers/sound. For most, a soundbar is a minimum addition to a flat-screen TV. All that said, if you don't mind "TV sound" and aren't looking for more bass, especially, some TV's are at least adequate with respect to sound.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #7 of 9 Old 09-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Craigslist $50 Samsung soundbar with wireless subwoofer in the bedroom with a 40" cheap Sceptre tv. Sounds great. No way could I listen to the factory tv speakers.
pilotart likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-25-2019, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I was very surprised to find out that my new TCL 6-Series QLED has pretty nice sound with lots of different settings to improve clarity and dialogue for example. I'll still probably end up using a sound bar most of the time, but for people who live in a small space that can't really use a sound bar, the built-in sound would be plenty sufficient.

Best,
Mike
post #9 of 9 Old 09-26-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 507
In 2014 I switched from Sony to Samsung as my existing corner wall mount had no room for those Sony 'side-of-screen' speakers. Have no idea how they would have sounded. ....

When I found that the 65" 'curved' screen would fit the location, I replaced the 55" flat.

I have an AVR for sound, but notice the 65" built-in speakers are much better than the 55" were.

Better sound quality and more settings along with a deeper case.
Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page