5Likes

post #1 of 9 Old 09-25-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Unhappy How "fragile: are LED HDTV

Hi all,

I'm a listener from Scott's tech guy show, and know that he or one of you can help me. I have a 50 Inch LED HDTV that I have on a heavy TV tripod like this...

We watch TV on our deck, and at the end of the night I pick the TV up (holding the bottom of the TV - with the tripod attached) and bring it indoors. We live in Massachusetts and our deck is open and exposed.

The screen cracked in less than a month- I am buying another TV- but are they too fragile to move like this??

Thanks for any tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-25-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Probably.... your going to need to rethink this and find a different way to watch video outside. I would think u came to the right place asking here. Also Scott has been gone nearly 2 years. He still pops up on the Tech guy but most people really enjoyed his HTG podcast much more. I think Leo made a mistake with his audience turning his light out.

Samsung QN55Q8FN / Pioneer Elite SC-81 AV Receiver/ Outlaw 5000 Amplifier/ ELAC Uni-Fi B5 Book Shelves/ SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer/ Roku Ultra / Bluesound Node 2 / iFi SPDIF iPurifier/ MiniDSP 2x4 HD
post #3 of 9 Old 09-25-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Two people should lift it up and move the TV carefully with holding the TV as well as the tripod while moving...that should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-26-2019, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was also thinking theres a tv stand with rollers on the bottom you could use which means you wouldn't have to lift it up at all.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We watch TV on our deck, and at the end of the night I pick the TV up (holding the bottom of the TV - with the tripod attached) and bring it indoors. We live in Massachusetts and our deck is open and exposed.
I hope there aren't any neighbors close by unable to sleep with your television on. Sound, even at low volume, travels far at night.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-26-2019, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
I hope there aren't any neighbors close by unable to sleep with your television on. Sound, even at low volume, travels far at night.
We have walked the property line to see, and hey we're old... we go to bed by 11PM and turn it off. My wife agrees with you... she is always having me turn it down.

I also have extended my audio output so the sound comes from a a Bose Lifestyle system about 5 feet away
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1476 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We have walked the property line to see, and hey we're old... we go to bed by 11PM and turn it off. My wife agrees with you... she is always having me turn it down.

I also have extended my audio output so the sound comes from a a Bose Lifestyle system about 5 feet away
Lots of working people and children go to bed before 11 PM. Before I retired, I had to get up at 5 AM to beat the rush hour traffic to get to work. So often I was in bed by 10 PM. What's the point of going outside to watch TV anyway?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-26-2019, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_DaveB View Post
Lots of working people and children go to bed before 11 PM. Before I retired, I had to get up at 5 AM to beat the rush hour traffic to get to work. So often I was in bed by 10 PM. What's the point of going outside to watch TV anyway?
I guess we enjoy our yard?

post #9 of 9 Old 09-26-2019, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
What kind of TV was it? I wouldn't exactly call my TV fragile, but sure it's more breakable than most stuff out there. My girlfriend was helping me move my TV once and she dropped her side onto the hardwood floor from about 2 feet up. I can't really blame her, my 65" Z9F weighs something like 80 lbs. The very corner of TV hit the ground HARD and even put a nice dent into the hardwood. I was very worried, but happily the TV turned on just fine and has shown no damage since. Anyway, I'm 100% convinced that at least part of the reason it survived is because this TV is a beast, was quite expensive, and I'm betting it's built at least a little better than the cheapest TV out there. It's weight says so, too...

At the end of the day, flat screen TV's are more fragile than older TV's. If you're going to be moving one around often.. which is outside of the norm and probably not recommended.. you're going to want to at least take every precaution possible. I would use two people and go VERY slowly and carefully. Even the smallest bump *could* break something on the screen if you're really unlucky.. there's a lot going on in that panel.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
led hdtv; broken screen; outdoor tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page