2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 517Likes

post #421 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
It should do both (at least I saw it on a review do both) but can be a little screwy. Yesterday on mine the HDR logo popped up like 5 times in a row. First time I saw that. If you are getting "DV" with a 1080p BD something is wrong there. Probably just a false flag.

If your talking about infinity war through the netflix app I don't believe the marvel movies are HDR or even 4k on netflix.
Both were discs. Thanks to the previous tip of pressing "OK" on the remote, although I'm not sure that is displaying accurate info as even that showed 4k/24hz Dolby Vision even on a standard blu-ray. What I ended up doing is using the "Display" button on my Blu-ray player instead. Using that, it was able to display the correct stuff from what I can gather:

1080p BD Cabin in the Woods - no Dolby Vision, detected DTS HD Master Audio
4k BD Infinity War - no Dolby Vision but detected 4k HDR, Dolby Digital audio
4k Spiderman Far from home - Dolby Vision. The TV popped up and showed Dolby Atmos, but Bluray player display shows it was the DTS audio stream (been doing more reading, and it seems like, HDMI ARC doesn't send Atmos, so I'm guessing that's why? Will try it later when i am back home).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I feel exactly the same way. Brightness has not been a concern mine feels plenty bright, haven't felt a need there for more brightness.

My stuttering also seems much improved. Haven't noticed the bad "hitching" I was seeing, just normal motion issues.

I have also considered the TV's you mentioned but its a 50% price increase, not a small bump. Not sure it would be worth it. And losing the Roku OS would suck, thats what keeps me from really considering the Hisense, I have an Nvidia Shield so its the best of
both worlds.
I would agree with this. It seems bright enough for most standard living room viewing needs. Overall, I'm fine with the performance moving from an older, smaller, plasma set. I think with this set, it will definitely matter what source you are watching. My sports watching streams from Youtube TV (via the built-in Roku app) and I didn't really notice any motion issues when I turned off the LED Clarity setting. I don't even think Youtube TV outputs 4k signal.

Dolby Vision 4k (i believe) from Netflix (again streaming using the Roku App) did produce the stutter when camera panned from left to right (i believe this was discussed in the rtings review), but I've only watched one show so I don't know if it was a one-off thing.

I have played a few 4k videos from Youtube and the Dolby showcase on the Roku App, and with those sources, the TV clearly shines (even played the same video that are typically used in-stores such as Best Buy) and the video quality really looked "wow" great if you are going from the other input sources.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the TV. Sure, I could have spent 2x and got a Samsung QLED and perhaps it would have been better. For what I use it/need it for, it more than gets the job done and especially at the budget price.
post #423 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gunz View Post
I would agree with this. It seems bright enough for most standard living room viewing needs. Overall, I'm fine with the performance moving from an older, smaller, plasma set. I think with this set, it will definitely matter what source you are watching. My sports watching streams from Youtube TV (via the built-in Roku app) and I didn't really notice any motion issues when I turned off the LED Clarity setting. I don't even think Youtube TV outputs 4k signal.

Dolby Vision 4k (i believe) from Netflix (again streaming using the Roku App) did produce the stutter when camera panned from left to right (i believe this was discussed in the rtings review), but I've only watched one show so I don't know if it was a one-off thing.

I have played a few 4k videos from Youtube and the Dolby showcase on the Roku App, and with those sources, the TV clearly shines (even played the same video that are typically used in-stores such as Best Buy) and the video quality really looked "wow" great if you are going from the other input sources.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the TV. Sure, I could have spent 2x and got a Samsung QLED and perhaps it would have been better. For what I use it/need it for, it more than gets the job done and especially at the budget price.
Yeah I am pretty much landing there as well, canceled my "backup" hisense order. Plus I have been spending WAY too much time in these threads and on the site for the last month or so. Need to take a break, its just a TV lol.
theboomr likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am hesitant to use rtings settings since their findings seem to be so far off from my experience. I'm going to try them out tonight and see how it looks, but I might just eyeball the settings until another calibrator posts.
post #425 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrdtakn View Post
I am hesitant to use rtings settings since their findings seem to be so far off from my experience. I'm going to try them out tonight and see how it looks, but I might just eyeball the settings until another calibrator posts.

Yeah, with everyone saying how much they love this yet, it’s very disheartening to hear how much RTings dislikes it...enough to make me not want to believe the way they actually rate things. FOMO raves about this tv. So why are these two reviewers both at separate ends of the spectrum?
post #426 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Halfway through unboxing and mounting this TV. Reading these posts makes me want to reverse the process and go get the 950G now. Terrible motion... Not as bright... the kicker is saying it looks good with a 4k promo feed. Every set does! Oh My.

I will be comparing this to a Samsung KS8000 65". Its not like I cannot afford a better TV.

If it is in anyway inferior it is going right back to Best Buy.
post #427 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone here have experience with both the 2019 and 2018 6 series TV's? I have a few older 50" and 55" 5 series TV's that I really like, but I'm moving and want to pick up a 65". I love TCL's Roku interface, so I'm definitely getting one of them. But the motion issues have me worried. Is motion that much better on the 2018 that I should just pick one of those up on sale instead?

Thanks!

NOTE: We do watch a lot of sports, but my fiance's TV before we met was a 40" Insignia that she paid like $100 for, so she's less choosy about her TV than I am haha.
theboomr likes this.
post #428 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Yeah I am pretty much landing there as well, canceled my "backup" hisense order. Plus I have been spending WAY too much time in these threads and on the site for the last month or so. Need to take a break, its just a TV lol.
Exactly. Get a life, whiteboy714.

I posted in the 8 and 6-series thread that it's only $599 comparing to the other 3, Sony OLED, LG QLED and Hisense LCD. This is 4k already while my JVC is faux-4k.
post #429 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Heh, yeah the more I watch sources other than my Spectrum cable the more I am mostly satisfied with the set. I've always had a hard time enjoying motion on LCD sets, so it isn't something I'm likely to overcome on a more expensive set. Plus we plan on cancelling Spectrum on the 25th anyway.

I can deal with slight bluring during action and jutter from film. But the stuttering I experienced was something different, it was random, choppy and not something I would want to "deal with" for years. As long as that can stay away, I don't think I can rationalize a more expensive set even if I can afford one. Well, I can.. But I need to try not too. I'm used to getting the best I can afford to buy, not compromising. So this is new to me, ha.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #430 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found it but says only pixel phones.]
post #431 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad335 View Post
Halfway through unboxing and mounting this TV. Reading these posts makes me want to reverse the process and go get the 950G now. Terrible motion... Not as bright... the kicker is saying it looks good with a 4k promo feed. Every set does! Oh My.

I will be comparing this to a Samsung KS8000 65". Its not like I cannot afford a better TV.

If it is in anyway inferior it is going right back to Best Buy.
Well, not everyone is a TV expert. Not everyone is going to scrutinize the set like an rtings review and compare color spectrums, and measure brightness, and all kinds of other settings and terms.

I don't have time/resources to buy one, compare it with another TV, nit pick every single thing about it, send it back, get another TV, rinse and repeat until I find one that is just "perfect". I suspect a lot of others are in the same boat.

If the TV isn't damaged, have dead pixels, things that are easily noticeable and clearly affect viewing (which for some motion can be), then for me it's fine.

The point is, people need to understand what their needs are and get a TV that suits their needs. At the end of the day, it is up to everyone to decide what those needs are, how important they are, and how much they are willing to spend.

What I and others are doing is providing feedback based on our own experiences in the short amount of time we've had the set. No need to be snarky about.
vlad335, 64levi64, Kizzer and 1 others like this.
post #432 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Remember the title of the Cnet review "The best TV picture quality for the money"

We are comparing apples to oranges if we start talking samsung and sony, those are in another price class.

But man reading the rtings review it sure makes the tv sound very mediocre. I am no pro for sure but I have a hard time believing that spending the extra $400-600 would gain that much. I know it woulds help with motion.

I appreciate guys like Fomo, who know their stuff, but are also realistic. He is viewing the sets side by side with some much more expensive gear, and the TCL holds its own. Sure the Hisense is brighter but if you watch his HDR review it is over done and the picture isn't accurate compared to all the others he tests with.

But for those of you that have more money to burn and are expecting perfection, you may be in the wrong thread. Not that I am making excuses for TCL, but my experience in my living room seems different than rtings experience. But they have the best of the best so they have a high standard. I am glad I got the TV before the review or I would have been likely to look elsewhere.
Kizzer likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #433 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller4128 View Post
Yeah, with everyone saying how much they love this yet, it’s very disheartening to hear how much RTings dislikes it...enough to make me not want to believe the way they actually rate things. FOMO raves about this tv. So why are these two reviewers both at separate ends of the spectrum?
Rtings doesn't dislike it at all. They gave it an 8.1 overall rating, which is very good. The first line of the review:

The TCL 6 Series 2019 is a great budget 4k TV with impressive picture quality and low input lag for gaming.

Doesn't sound like they hated it to me.
aaronwt, 64levi64, Kizzer and 1 others like this.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #434 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
Something's not right with the HDR Brightness. CNET reported an increase compared to 2018, RTINGs reports a decrease

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-65r...u-tv-review/2/

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...omparison_2344
post #435 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk373 View Post
Rtings doesn't dislike it at all. They gave it an 8.1 overall rating, which is very good. The first line of the review:

The TCL 6 Series 2019 is a great budget 4k TV with impressive picture quality and low input lag for gaming.

Doesn't sound like they hated it to me.
People just like to dwell on the negative. The fact is it beat out last years model by one point. In their review they say "The TCL 6 Series 2019 is a great budget 4k TV with impressive picture quality and low input lag for gaming. It has an excellent contrast ratio, with outstanding black uniformity and a good local dimming feature. It has excellent peak brightness in SDR, and small, bright highlights really pop in HDR. This TV has an excellent color gamut, great for the latest HDR content."

Then comes the magic word, "UNFORTUNATELY, it has only decent gray uniformity, with noticeable banding and dirty screen effect, and there are some noticeable motion artifacts in some scenes. Like most TVs with VA panels, the image degrades when viewed at an angle."

That word unfortunately sets the negative thinking folks into high gear.
sk373, Kizzer and theboomr like this.
post #436 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyz86 View Post
Something's not right with the HDR Brightness. CNET reported an increase compared to 2018, RTINGs reports a decrease

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-65r...u-tv-review/2/

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...omparison_2344
I never understand which number we are to look at. When people say "this TV does 1000 nits", what exact measurement do they mean?

post #437 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
I never understand which number we are to look at. When people say "this TV does 1000 nits", what exact measurement do they mean?
Peak brightness.
theboomr likes this.
post #438 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth84 View Post
Peak brightness.
OK,

Ah I see they are like 200 off. Strange. Fomo said he had his calibration scheduled. Anyone know if he shares his settings.
samoth84 likes this.

post #439 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I just unboxed my R625 on Friday and spent a full day watching football on Sunday.

I don't see any of the vertical jail bars that Rtings sees, and my screen has only the most minor DSE in the corners. Seemed plenty bright to me (no H9F to compare with, coming from 4-5 year old Vizios and Samsungs).

Just like their calibration page for a given review suggests you shouldn't copy it exactly (as all panels are different), one wonders how BAD (or normal?) their panel might have been compared to what the majority of us have. Like, if they got an abnormally bad panel compared to what most folks get, or if I got an abnormally GOOD panel.

It's almost like you now need to review 3 units of the same TV, and pick out the common trends among them as a baseline, since panel lottery and general build issues seems to plague every modern TV.
Kizzer likes this.
post #440 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativer View Post
I just unboxed my R625 on Friday and spent a full day watching football on Sunday.
What was your impression of motion watching football?

post #441 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
What was your impression of motion watching football?

Not...terrible? At all? I mean, I had Natural Cinema turned on, and everything else off (mostly per the CNET review, and didn't really have a problem with blur or judder or motion. Nothing really annoyed me. I had minor sync issues with the audio (a bit of drift?) but that I am currently chalking that up to me switching around between apps and inputs and tinkering a bit (even knowing that Roku audio sync/drop issues are an ongoing thing since at least last year's model).

That said, DirecTV's compression artifacts were more visible on this screen than on my old Vizio watching Sunday Ticket. I don't blame the TV for that. Conversely, watching Monday Night Football ([email protected]) looked much better. Maybe it's a known thing, but I think DirecTV adjusts their compression settings for 'national tv events' so they look better.

Watching the Fox Sports 4k stream of baseball was a wonderful thing.
post #442 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post
I found it just using IPQ. However the private channel that comes along with it says use TCL iPQ Engine
The iPQ Engine Mobile Calibration app allows you to pair your Google Pixel phone with a compatible TCL Roku TV to measure the TV white point accuracy and then automatically adjust the TV for better performance.

Compatible with the following TCL Roku TVs:
8-Series (2019 models - Q82)
6-Series (2018 and 2019 models - R61 and R62)

How do I tell if I have R61 or R62???
post #443 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not...terrible? At all? I mean, I had Natural Cinema turned on, and everything else off (mostly per the CNET review, and didn't really have a problem with blur or judder or motion. Nothing really annoyed me. I had minor sync issues with the audio (a bit of drift?) but that I am currently chalking that up to me switching around between apps and inputs and tinkering a bit (even knowing that Roku audio sync/drop issues are an ongoing thing since at least last year's model).

That said, DirecTV's compression artifacts were more visible on this screen than on my old Vizio watching Sunday Ticket. I don't blame the TV for that. Conversely, watching Monday Night Football ([email protected]) looked much better. Maybe it's a known thing, but I think DirecTV adjusts their compression settings for 'national tv events' so they look better.

Watching the Fox Sports 4k stream of baseball was a wonderful thing.

I need to revisit some football this week because my motion issues have calmed down a ton.

post #444 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64levi64 View Post
The iPQ Engine Mobile Calibration app allows you to pair your Google Pixel phone with a compatible TCL Roku TV to measure the TV white point accuracy and then automatically adjust the TV for better performance.

Compatible with the following TCL Roku TVs:
8-Series (2019 models - Q82)
6-Series (2018 and 2019 models - R61 and R62)

How do I tell if I have R61 or R62???
I think they mean R615, R617, and whatever other model numbers there are for 2018 for the R61. Then I think the R62 would be the 2019 R625, and R627.
64levi64 likes this.
post #445 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I need to revisit some football this week because my motion issues have calmed down a ton.

What do you attribute that to? I've seen people say that their TVs 'fixed themselves' in certain ways so that issues they had no longer are an issue. Some sort of magic, which I don't subscribe to. How do motion issues calm down on their own, assuming you didn't tweak some stuff to fix it? (Curious, mostly, since I'm still in my tweak phase on this tv)
theboomr likes this.
post #446 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 05:03 PM

Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gunz View Post
Well, not everyone is a TV expert. Not everyone is going to scrutinize the set like an rtings review and compare color spectrums, and measure brightness, and all kinds of other settings and terms.

I don't have time/resources to buy one, compare it with another TV, nit pick every single thing about it, send it back, get another TV, rinse and repeat until I find one that is just "perfect". I suspect a lot of others are in the same boat.

If the TV isn't damaged, have dead pixels, things that are easily noticeable and clearly affect viewing (which for some motion can be), then for me it's fine.

The point is, people need to understand what their needs are and get a TV that suits their needs. At the end of the day, it is up to everyone to decide what those needs are, how important they are, and how much they are willing to spend.

What I and others are doing is providing feedback based on our own experiences in the short amount of time we've had the set. No need to be snarky about.

Perfectly said!!!

It's a shame that people are so nit picky that a slight flaw, that many of us would never notice in the first place, turns them away from buying something that is well worth the price.

I thank God that I am not a videophile and can enjoy this TV
64levi64 likes this.
post #447 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 05:09 PM

Liked: 114
Quote:
What do you attribute that to? I've seen people say that their TVs 'fixed themselves' in certain ways so that issues they had no longer are an issue. Some sort of magic, which I don't subscribe to. How do motion issues calm down on their own, assuming you didn't tweak some stuff to fix it? (Curious, mostly, since I'm still in my tweak phase on this tv)
It could have been the update
trag likes this.
post #448 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Has anyone played Xbox on the R625? If so, did you notice any ghosting?

Has anyone tried the calibration app? How did it work and was it accurate?

The FOMO and Rtings reviews have me all confused on which TV to get now lol. It’s either the TCL R617, TCL R625, or the Hisense H9F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theboomr likes this.
post #449 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Honestly I have no idea. It was really bad, wasn't really just a motion thing it looked like a bunch of dropped frames, felt really glitchy. Really affected football, it was a sort of cadence you could see it every two seconds or so. It would come and go, happened on a source then it wouldn't. Even my wife who is totally not picky said they shouldn't sell a TV like this.

I honestly haven't noticed it at all since sunday maybe. The TV has been on quite a bit too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
It could have been the update
I haven't seen an update since the initial one when I turned the TV on I don't think.

post #450 of 1302 Old 10-16-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I’ve been very happy with the motion and all of the sudden things started to get choppy. Restarted the tv and everything is fine now. Might be a software bug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page