2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 488Likes

post #451 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 98
No update with mine either but my main issue is gone.

Watched the Avs vs Pens hockey game just now and it looked fine.

I'm just hypercritical of a new set, since I have 15 days to decide if I like it. After that I can just enjoy it. Since coming from a 50" plasma issues with sources are just that much more pronounced for me unfortunately.
Bryan_NC likes this.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post
No update with mine either but my main issue is gone.

Watched the Avs vs Pens hockey game just now and it looked fine.

I'm just hypercritical of a new set, since I have 15 days to decide if I like it. After that I can just enjoy it. Since coming from a 50" plasma issues with sources are just that much more pronounced for me unfortunately.

Yeah same for me on that last part. Going from 55 to 65 I see the weakness's of a poor source more.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #453 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylem View Post
I have the same but one major spot on the right bottom corner. I am returning it to amazon and just ordered a new one from BB.
The problem with such spot is, it s not a "major issue" but since you know it's here, you can only see that!
With all of these panel issues, what is the recommended way to buy this TV so that you can check the panel and reject it if it is bad? Through Amazon or Best Buy..or something else? What is the process? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gunz View Post
Well, not everyone is a TV expert. Not everyone is going to scrutinize the set like an rtings review and compare color spectrums, and measure brightness, and all kinds of other settings and terms.

I don't have time/resources to buy one, compare it with another TV, nit pick every single thing about it, send it back, get another TV, rinse and repeat until I find one that is just "perfect". I suspect a lot of others are in the same boat.

If the TV isn't damaged, have dead pixels, things that are easily noticeable and clearly affect viewing (which for some motion can be), then for me it's fine.

The point is, people need to understand what their needs are and get a TV that suits their needs. At the end of the day, it is up to everyone to decide what those needs are, how important they are, and how much they are willing to spend.

What I and others are doing is providing feedback based on our own experiences in the short amount of time we've had the set. No need to be snarky about.

Yeah, I guess I have been watching too many youtube videos and reading too much on here.

I have been watching this set for a couple hours and I can equivocally say that the TCL is a better TV than my Samsung KS8000. It doesn't do anything worse except maybe the Sammy is a tad bit crisper in some scenes. However, the colors are gorgeous like I have never seen and Dolby Vision is glorious! Watching El Camino on Netflix is bringing rich color into my living room that was never there before. Is this the Quantum Dot's in action?

The black levels stomp all over the Samsung

Motion is about the same. When I first loaded the Xfinity app and watched a show on the Smithsonian Channel about Britain, there was this horrible judder and I immediately went into settings changing things furiously. Don't know what I did or what I even changed but I haven't seen it since. This was almost a deal breaker! Noticing no motion problems at all now. weird...

My screen is pretty much perfect. No DSE or banding and just a tiny bit of vignetting in the corners. Better than the KS8000 in this regard actually.

Overall as it stands right now I am very happy with this TV. If I would have waited for the RTINGS review I probably would'nt have bought it to tell the truth. I would have spent double what this set cost on the 950G and who knows, is it twice as good? I doubt it.

I have to stop listening to the TV nerds so much.
Sounddelux, sk373, Kizzer and 2 others like this.

Last edited by vlad335; 10-16-2019 at 06:57 PM.
post #455 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounddelux View Post
With all of these panel issues, what is the recommended way to buy this TV so that you can check the panel and reject it if it is bad? Through Amazon or Best Buy..or something else? What is the process? Any help would be appreciated.
If you're able to haul the TV in your own vehicle, then Best Buy is probably the best option (or Costco, but they aren't selling the R625), so you control every part of bringing the TV from the store to your home. That way if you open it up and there's something wrong with it, you can just take it right back to Best Buy for an exchange, no hassle dealing with Amazon customer service and waiting for them to pick up the old one and ship a new one. Plus amazon ships TVs through regular delivery services and they do not care if it gets banged around, that seems to be why generally speaking, TVs tend to have more occurrences of bad or damaged panels when bought from Amazon.

I know some people have reported that the delivery experience from Best Buy is great with them bringing it inside and unboxing it, but I don't think that's always the case at every store unless you pay extra for fancy delivery.
post #456 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad335 View Post
Yeah, I guess I have been watching too many youtube videos and reading too much on here.

I have been watching this set for a couple hours and I can equivocally say that the TCL is a better TV than my Samsung KS8000. It doesn't do anything worse except maybe the Sammy is a tad bit crisper in some scenes. However, the colors are gorgeous like I have never seen and Dolby Vision is glorious! Watching El Camino on Netflix is bringing rich color into my living room that was never there before. Is this the Quantum Dot's in action?

The black levels stomp all over the Samsung

Motion is about the same. When I first loaded the Xfinity app and watched a show on the Smithsonian Channel about Britain, there was this horrible judder and I immediately went into settings changing things furiously. Don't know what I did or what I even changed but I haven't seen it since. This was almost a deal breaker! Noticing no motion problems at all now. weird...

My screen is pretty much perfect. No DSE or banding and just a tiny bit of vignetting in the corners. Better than the KS8000 in this regard actually.

Overall as it stands right now I am very happy with this TV. If I would have waited for the RTINGS review I probably would'nt have bought it to tell the truth. I would have spent double what this set cost on the 950G and who knows, is it twice as good? I doubt it.

I have to stop listening to the TV nerds so much.

Bingo!

As I've stated earlier, there are few among us who have a trained eye for the things pointed out by places like Rtings. These guys get so technical, that I am shocked that anyone would buy ANY TV.

I came from a 7 year old plasma, and the 625's picture is so far superior it's not even funny.
post #457 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Okay it's been awhile now with the 625, and life kept me busy so sorry for not checking in sooner.

I am se a lot of issues with motion, and I too experience it randomly studder it seems no matter what motion setting are on or even all off. I did not know about roku app having settings so will definitely be playing with that tomorrow!

I did find something that has worked great (for me) to practically remove the motion issue. I turned all motion off... then turned ON game mode for everything. Running game mode did not seem to effect PQ but practically eliminated the motion artifacts and stuttering.

Try turning game mode on and all motion settings off and see if that helps any. It really seems to me to make a difference.

Very happy with the set the only problem I've had is the motion. The brightness is awesome but I'm coming from an old plasma (that has perfect motion). It almost is too bright to be honest. Most of my viewing is in a dark room tho but the TV lights the whole room up when a bright scene is on it.

Anyway hope I've helped with the game mode advise. I feel the processor just needs improvement and hoping its possible a firmware update may help with motion in the future.
post #458 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsinsac View Post
Okay it's been awhile now with the 625, and life kept me busy so sorry for not checking in sooner.

I am se a lot of issues with motion, and I too experience it randomly studder it seems no matter what motion setting are on or even all off. I did not know about roku app having settings so will definitely be playing with that tomorrow!

I did find something that has worked great (for me) to practically remove the motion issue. I turned all motion off... then turned ON game mode for everything. Running game mode did not seem to effect PQ but practically eliminated the motion artifacts and stuttering.

Try turning game mode on and all motion settings off and see if that helps any. It really seems to me to make a difference.

Very happy with the set the only problem I've had is the motion. The brightness is awesome but I'm coming from an old plasma (that has perfect motion). It almost is too bright to be honest. Most of my viewing is in a dark room tho but the TV lights the whole room up when a bright scene is on it.

Anyway hope I've helped with the game mode advise. I feel the processor just needs improvement and hoping its possible a firmware update may help with motion in the future.

Interesting!
post #459 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So I bit the bullet and did the rtings settings in expert mode. I am coming from a 9 year old LG ips display so keep that in mind. I have not done a dse test and don't plan on it. The rtings settings have made skin tones richer and more accurate. I have notice some very minor stuttering at times but I attribute that to the source as it is very infrequent. I have played a lot of borderlands 3,some God of war, and The Witness all on a ps4 slim in hdr. All look incredible but still tweaking some settings. I have also played some gears 4 and gears 5 on an Xbox one s. I have tried the gears 4 split screen hdr visualization and it seems to be very little improvement honestly. It is sometimes hard to see the split, but once again still tweaking. One of the videos that shocked me I was watching a YouTube video (Irish people try Guinness cocktails) and the lights in the video went out. I honestly thought my TV turned off. Then they turn on their phone flash light. The effect was mind blowing (keep in mind I am coming from a 9 year old ips panel). As I do more testing I will continue to report. I also have low teir Netflix and even in 1080 everything looks awesome. I am also watching a normally lit family room with overhead light and a lamp. Please feel free to ask any questions.
Kizzer likes this.
post #460 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
Perfectly said!!!

It's a shame that people are so nit picky that a slight flaw, that many of us would never notice in the first place, turns them away from buying something that is well worth the price.

I thank God that I am not a videophile and can enjoy this TV
My JVC RS500 has flaws too, especially dealing with HDR materials and color adjustments w/o calibration software and hardware. I know how to live with it. 2k materials really shine though.

Last edited by dragonbud0; 10-16-2019 at 09:03 PM. Reason: grammar correction
post #461 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
I think they look cool. At least they look different than the other 100 TVs offered right now that all have the same legs in the same place.
Maybe they look different because all the other ones are functional and the other manufacturers chose that over "different." There seem to be a lot of complaints about the leg placement. Who cares if it's the same as others if it works and these don't? I'm mounting mine on the stand I got with my old plasma because the legs won't work on my armoire
post #462 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad to hear normal users in normal usage cases are enjoying the sets. I still see the stutter now and then. Seems hit and miss but I will be a pretty hard skip. Hard to miss. But I can deal with it and hope it improves through updates.

As far as game mode one of the reviews, probably rtings mentioned something like that. That the decreased latency could help with stuttering. I'll have to try it myself. Not sure what else changes if anything in that mode.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #463 of 1134 Old 10-16-2019, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 46
What content is everyone seeing the stutter in? Streaming 4K stuff? 1080 streaming, or is it anything on discs?
I'm hoping there is no stutter with anything on discs. I'd expect that stuff to be rather flawless.

Don't plan on ordering this until Sunday/Monday, I was waiting on Rtings analysis, and I'm somewhat disappointed in the result. But for the price, I'm still willing to give it a go!
post #464 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
What content is everyone seeing the stutter in? Streaming 4K stuff? 1080 streaming, or is it anything on discs?
I'm hoping there is no stutter with anything on discs. I'd expect that stuff to be rather flawless.

Don't plan on ordering this until Sunday/Monday, I was waiting on Rtings analysis, and I'm somewhat disappointed in the result. But for the price, I'm still willing to give it a go!

What is there to be disappointed in? I am amazed when people say this.
post #465 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I set up my 55r625 from Best Buy on Sunday. I am definitely on team FOMO in the conflicting reviews with Rtings.com. FOMO's conclusions match my experiences with this TV, while I have seen none of the issues that Rtings.com found in their review. I watched the London game on the NFL Network, both Fox and CBS' afternoon games, and NBC's SNF game on my Comcast X1 DVR box without noticing any of the motion artifacts others have complained about. I also watched the ALCS games on the Fox Sports app and was very pleased with the results. I never saw anything close to stutter/judder or dropping frames. To be honest, I can't recall noticing any type of distracting/blurring artifacts in the content I have watched so far.

I am coming from 2 older, smaller sets, a Sony Bravia 1080p LCD and a Samsung 720 Plasma in my bedroom. My Comcast service looked pretty poor on both, soft and over compressed. I had Roku 3's on both and the Netflix and Prime apps both looked bad as well. I am very pleased to say that the 55r625 has raised the floor on all of my existing SDR content. Everything is now looks like near BluRay quality 1080p. Everything is clear and crisp without any banding or compression artifacts. The fast motion content may not be up to par with the $2-3k Sony and Samsungs but it is nothing a normal person would even notice or mention. Overall, I am very pleased with the upgrades over my previous TVs and I am glad I took the plunge on the TCL.

That being said, I do have a few nitpicks. After the last 2 or 3 years hearing about 4k and HDR and the wide color gamut everywhere, I was fairly underwhelmed by it. It is fine and looks like a pristine 1080p Blu-Ray source, but it just didn't pop or WOW me like I expected. I haven't drilled down into all the HDR settings yet, just turned off everything but Natural Cinema and set the picture mode to Dark. Maybe tweaking it will help. I also don't care for the remote. It is too small for my taste and I will never use the useless shortcut buttons that take up the entire bottom half. I also miss having a 30 seconds skip ahead button. I hate using the regular ff/rw. Hopefully Logitech will add the r625 to their database soon and I can go back to using my Harmony Hub. Other than those 2 things, I really don't have anything negative to say about my 55r625. I am quite happy with my purchase.
Kizzer likes this.
post #466 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
What is there to be disappointed in? I am amazed when people say this.

Mmm, just that it isn't as big of an update as I was hoping. The pre calibration results suck. I'm not going to get any TV pro calibrated, so I kind of need that to be at least "good" as I calibrate to my eye. I'm bummed their set has uniformity problems, I was hoping this would be resolved. The HDR brightness is disappointing. The real scene(which is really what I pay attention to) is much lower than last years model.

Uniformity aside as it's lottery, if these ratings were similar or exactly the same, I'd be waaay happier. Color accuracy and HDR brightness do matter to me.
post #467 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I dunno man, it scored better than the 615 for HDR Movies so not sure why you think brightness will be an issue? But we all have our wants.

If it matched the 615 for TV and Sports, it would have an 8.5 score. That would be a better score than most TVs double it's price.

I think expectations need to be tempered with reality. Nobody was getting the perfect set for $800. Nobody is getting a perfect set for $1600 either. At least not currently.
Kizzer likes this.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #468 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey everyone!

Just set up my 65 that I had shipped from best buy. This is my first TV purchase in 10 years, so a lot of this is news to me. With natural cinema on (and everything else off), I'm not seeing any motion issues in normal viewing, and I'm usually really sensitive to this stuff.

Here's my panel. Do you guys think the DSE is bad enough to make it worth playing the lottery? I haven't noticed anything in normal Netflix streaming, but my tests haven't been exhuastive yet. Just looking for input on what's within the normal tolerance of DSE, because i know it's a common issue. Thanks for your input.

imgur dot com/gallery/fbvPb8O (new member so can't post photo/links direct)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	625.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	2628568  
post #469 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias Small View Post
Here's my panel. Do you guys think the DSE is bad enough to make it worth playing the lottery? I haven't noticed anything in normal Netflix streaming, but my tests haven't been exhuastive yet. Just looking for input on what's within the normal tolerance of DSE, because i know it's a common issue. Thanks for your input.

imgur dot com/gallery/fbvPb8O (new member so can't post photo/links direct)

I'd be over the moon happy with the uniformity on that set!
post #470 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post

That being said, I do have a few nitpicks. After the last 2 or 3 years hearing about 4k and HDR and the wide color gamut everywhere, I was fairly underwhelmed by it. It is fine and looks like a pristine 1080p Blu-Ray source, but it just didn't pop or WOW me like I expected. I haven't drilled down into all the HDR settings yet, just turned off everything but Natural Cinema and set the picture mode to Dark. Maybe tweaking it will help. I also don't care for the remote. It is too small for my taste and I will never use the useless shortcut buttons that take up the entire bottom half. I also miss having a 30 seconds skip ahead button. I hate using the regular ff/rw. Hopefully Logitech will add the r625 to their database soon and I can go back to using my Harmony Hub. Other than those 2 things, I really don't have anything negative to say about my 55r625. I am quite happy with my purchase.

Try this with the internal YouTube app and see if the colors don't pop. Looks beautiful in mine.

Kizzer likes this.

post #471 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I'd be over the moon happy with the uniformity on that set!
That's good to hear. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Like I said, I'm just so out of the loop I don't know what's acceptable. I do notice some clouding and vertical band in the center when running the youtube test where cream and white vertical lines move left across the screen horizontaly as well as the sky test, but again I haven't noticed anything while streaming content (tested with Parks and Rec and Thor Ragnarok... random i know).

I'm planning to game a bit on this set too, but I don't have any current content with enough uniformity to see if it'd be noticiable in that context. I'm not a huge sports fan, so at the end of the day I'll be happy if it's not noticable during TV/Movie/game consumption.

Happy to receive anyone else's input as well. Thanks again, TwayneP.
post #472 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias Small View Post
That's good to hear. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Like I said, I'm just so out of the loop I don't know what's acceptable. I do notice some clouding and vertical band in the center when running the youtube test where cream and white vertical lines move left across the screen horizontaly as well as the sky test, but again I haven't noticed anything while streaming content (tested with Parks and Rec and Thor Ragnarok... random i know).

I'm planning to game a bit on this set too, but I don't have any current content with enough uniformity to see if it'd be noticiable in that context. I'm not a huge sports fan, so at the end of the day I'll be happy if it's not noticable during TV/Movie/game consumption.

Happy to receive anyone else's input as well. Thanks again, TwayneP.

What console do you plan to use on it?

When you play can look for any ghosting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #473 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRufus View Post
Oh, just caught this after whitey quoted you..

You aren't quite clear on all of your settings, but you want TV Brightness mode to Brighter and HDR mode to Dark HDR per CNET. I definitely got more highlight "pop" and much better image with my settings like this. I felt the same as you until reading through CNET settings again and then found this blurb below the actual # settings. Before changing this I had TV Brightness set to Dark(per the settings they recommended) as well as Picture Mode to HDR Dark and it was a bit underwhelming as well as very dark.

CNET comment on HDR content;

Quote:
HDR notes: Just like with SDR TCL offers different HDR settings tailored to room brightness, but their names can be a bit misleading. The best and most accurate setting according to my measurements was TV Brightness = Brighter and Picture Mode = Dark HDR. It delivered the best combination of light output and black level, and stayed admirably close to the target EOTF -- something few of the other modes, including Darker/Dark HDR, could muster. Regardless of room lighting, I would recommend using Brighter/Dark HDR with all HDR10 material. In that mode color checker was decent, if not spectacular.

Something to try if your settings are different. As it was a bit misleading as they recommended TV Brightness being set to Dark or Darker for normal content I guess.

post #474 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post
Oh, just caught this after whitey quoted you..

You aren't quite clear on all of your settings, but you want TV Brightness mode to Brighter and HDR mode to Dark HDR per CNET. I definitely got more highlight "pop" and much better image with my settings like this. I felt the same as you until reading through CNET settings again and then found this blurb below the actual # settings. Before changing this I had TV Brightness set to Dark(per the settings they recommended) as well as Picture Mode to HDR Dark and it was a bit underwhelming as well as very dark.

CNET comment on HDR content;

Something to try if your settings are different. As it was a bit misleading as they recommended TV Brightness being set to Dark or Darker for normal content I guess.

I would add that for Dolby Vision "HDR Normal" is more accurate.

Also if you are looking for something to show off HDR, check out the "sonnie's edge" episode of Love Death and Robots on Netflix. Fair warning, it's extremely adult.
post #475 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
I did some back and forth with TCL via email today and they will be sending a replacement to a local technician who will inspect it for damage and then come by to swap it out with the one I have now. So in about two weeks hopefully I will have a 65R625 that doesn't have any screen issues.

It was determined that the one I received has debris between the screen and the diffuser.
You might want to ask TCL for the tracking # for your replacement.
My replacement shipped out from Texas on 10/07, It made it to my state a few days ago then I checked it today and it says "Weather - Delay in transit" and it looks like it's on it's way back to TCL.

Good luck hope you get a good one this time.
post #476 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got another question for the owners here.. Roku Channel app crashing the TV on anyone else?

We have been playing with the channel apps and I was going through the Roku Channel offerings. Seen a movie our little girl might like so threw it on for her. The playback during the movie itself was fine, but when it cut over to do commercials and then cut back to the movie. The TV would crash. The screen goes black(power cycles?), the bottom light would flash and eventually the red Roku splash screen would come back. But it would just sit at the red Roku splash screen for a solid minute. Seemingly doing nothing, but the light at the bottom was still "blinking/flashing". I had to press the Roku channel button on the remote and it would eventually come back and go into the app. It did this to us 2x on Tuesday night and 2-3x in a row last night resuming the movie where we left off.

Each time it crashed, it did so during commercial playback or switching back to the movie after commercials were done.

Anyone else experience this? So far Netflix has been flawless. Dolby Vision channel has works without issue. Haven't watched much on Prime yet.

Just wondering if this is a "Roku" thing, or a combo of Roku and our sets. I have not seen this behavior with any other source.

post #477 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Doesn't the Roku channel just link to you another channel that's streaming that show/movie? I could be (very) wrong.
post #478 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

TBH I have no idea. This is my first experience with Roku TV of any kind. I'll see if I can tell later when I am home.. Or just google it now heh.

I dunno, it looks like it is it's own free service?

https://www.roku.com/whats-on/the-roku-channel

Although plausible it does tie into other services on the backend to create a single source for finding free content. Kind of like how those Hotel pricing websites that also gather data from other pricing websites and combine them into a "1 stop shop".

post #479 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I've seen the stutter twice, both streaming 4k HDR content (Jessica Jones on Netflix, and last night watching this video
). The Jumanji video was REALLY bad. Whereas it was only in one or two scenes for the JJ on Netflix, it was almost the entire clip for that Jumanji video. I think I actually got some motion sickness (i'm very sensitive to motion sickness) from watching it. But even watching that video on a separate PC and a standard 24" monitor, there's *some* stutter/framerate (whatever you call it) issues there that I seem to see, though it was certainly more pronounced on the 625. Anyone watch the video and see the same thing?

I have played PC game (FFXIV, lots of effects, fast movements, etc) and no issues with PQ or motion. Nintendo Switch gaming, no issues either. Watched football and basketball streaming on Youtube TV (TCL Roku App). Watched standard 1080p BD and 4k HDR (maybe dolby vision, can't recall if it supported it) Infinity War BD. No issues with any of it. Briefly sampled scenes on Spiderman Far from home (4k Dolby vision) and standard 1080p Ready Player One. Again, no issues with any of it.

I will have some time to sit down and watch something tonight. Any particular scenes on Netflix that people saw the stutter on? I can try and watch them and see if I get the same experience.
post #480 of 1134 Old 10-17-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My only real issues with the stutter(frame dropping seems more accurate of what I saw) was only on my Spectrum cable TV and usually with poorer sourced channels(i.e. movies that were clearly not HD, but upconverted to it). The locals and premiums all seemed fine as well as the commercials in between the show we watched. It just seemed to be the show itself that gave me the most issues.

That said, my wife was watching the same show and didn't say a word about the frame drops or choppy look of the show. Ignorance is bliss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page