2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 514Likes

post #481 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativer View Post
What do you attribute that to? I've seen people say that their TVs 'fixed themselves' in certain ways so that issues they had no longer are an issue. Some sort of magic, which I don't subscribe to. How do motion issues calm down on their own, assuming you didn't tweak some stuff to fix it? (Curious, mostly, since I'm still in my tweak phase on this tv)
This is exactly what happened to me. Disable noise in the Roku app, played around with motion and now its all fine. Its odd. Maybee it was in one of the updates that the TV had? I cant explain it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by systimax View Post
This is exactly what happened to me. Disable noise in the Roku app, played around with motion and now its all fine. Its odd. Maybee it was in one of the updates that the TV had? I cant explain it.

Seems like a lot of the issues here are solved by the same sort of solution we use to fix computers: jiggle some things, blow on it, reboot it. Suddenly it works.
post #483 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvST8 View Post
You might want to ask TCL for the tracking # for your replacement.
My replacement shipped out from Texas on 10/07, It made it to my state a few days ago then I checked it today and it says "Weather - Delay in transit" and it looks like it's on it's way back to TCL.

Good luck hope you get a good one this time.

It's not being directly shipped to me. I haven't even heard from the local TV technician that will be swapping it out yet, I was supposed to hear from them within two business days. I will give it until tomorrow afternoon before I inquire anything.

The most annoying thing I have with this TV is it randomly turns on at all hours of the night, multiple times a night. It happens during the day too. I have to cut power to the surge protector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
It's not being directly shipped to me. I haven't even heard from the local TV technician that will be swapping it out yet, I was supposed to hear from them within two business days. I will give it until tomorrow afternoon before I inquire anything.

The most annoying thing I have with this TV is it randomly turns on at all hours of the night, multiple times a night. It happens during the day too. I have to cut power to the surge protector.
Mine was shipped to a local technician as well, I don't think they ship them directly to people since they have to pick up the old one.
Turns out my local technician was closed when they tried to deliver it at 1:00 pm, which according to fedex is going to add another week to the wait.
I just wanted it exchanged before my window with Amazon closes to return it this Weds, so it's going to be really close if they schedule a date with me as soon as they get it.

I haven't heard of anyone else's turning on it by itself before, thats crazy. Did you try taking the batteries out of the remote as a test?

Last edited by DvST8; 10-17-2019 at 12:10 PM.
post #485 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvST8 View Post
Mine was shipped to a local technician as well, I don't think they ship them directly to people since they have to pick up the old one.

Turns out my local technician was closed when they tried to deliver it at 1:00 pm, which according to fedex is going to add another week to the wait.

I just wanted to it exchanged before my window with Amazon closes to return it this Weds, so it's going to be really close if they schedule a date with me as soon as they get it.

I haven't heard of anyone else's turning on it by itself before, thats crazy. Did you try taking the batteries out of the remote as a test?

Ours is in our bedroom and one night I woke up to it turned on. Think it got a software update that night that might have triggered it.
post #486 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post
I got another question for the owners here.. Roku Channel app crashing the TV on anyone else?

We have been playing with the channel apps and I was going through the Roku Channel offerings. Seen a movie our little girl might like so threw it on for her. The playback during the movie itself was fine, but when it cut over to do commercials and then cut back to the movie. The TV would crash. The screen goes black(power cycles?), the bottom light would flash and eventually the red Roku splash screen would come back. But it would just sit at the red Roku splash screen for a solid minute. Seemingly doing nothing, but the light at the bottom was still "blinking/flashing". I had to press the Roku channel button on the remote and it would eventually come back and go into the app. It did this to us 2x on Tuesday night and 2-3x in a row last night resuming the movie where we left off.

Each time it crashed, it did so during commercial playback or switching back to the movie after commercials were done.

Anyone else experience this? So far Netflix has been flawless. Dolby Vision channel has works without issue. Haven't watched much on Prime yet.

Just wondering if this is a "Roku" thing, or a combo of Roku and our sets. I have not seen this behavior with any other source.
At home now, threw on Starship Troopers on the Roku channel and it crashed again during the first commercial. Going back in to resume the movie and it crashed again on the commercial. It is restarting the set as once it does come back up, it goes to my cable box which I set as the default input.

If anyone has time, please try to watch a show on the Roku Channel. It shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes to get to a commercial and see if your TV crashes. If you get through the commercials and back into your show without issue you are probably good. Although I do think my set has made it through 1 set of commercials without crashing. I believe I am 1 in 7 so far.

Edit: 3 times in a row now. This Roku channel is pretty much useless for me. As it keeps trying to resume on the commercials that crash the TV. Going to try and power cycle the set and see if that produces positive results.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor

Last edited by SteroMAdMAn; 10-17-2019 at 12:49 PM.
post #487 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Welp, the power cycle got me back into the movie and through 1 set of commercials. It crashed on the 3rd set of commercials again.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #488 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
Mmm, just that it isn't as big of an update as I was hoping. The pre calibration results suck. I'm not going to get any TV pro calibrated, so I kind of need that to be at least "good" as I calibrate to my eye. I'm bummed their set has uniformity problems, I was hoping this would be resolved. The HDR brightness is disappointing. The real scene(which is really what I pay attention to) is much lower than last years model.

Uniformity aside as it's lottery, if these ratings were similar or exactly the same, I'd be waaay happier. Color accuracy and HDR brightness do matter to me.
I can respect that. But since we all have different vision, what looks bad to one may look outstanding to another.
post #489 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Try this with the internal YouTube app and see if the colors don't pop. Looks beautiful in mine.

https://youtu.be/ESxn1cLz-Ig
I just watched that on my 625... WOW! Impressive colors!!!
post #490 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
^ Welp, the power cycle got me back into the movie and through 1 set of commercials. It crashed on the 3rd set of commercials again.
I just tested this and mine crashes on the 3rd set of commercials too. Yikes.
post #491 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
I just watched that on my 625... WOW! Impressive colors!!!
Yeah, same. Nice! That and the Peru 8k HDR vid that played right after as well. Beautiful. No issues at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth84 View Post
I just tested this and mine crashes on the 3rd set of commercials too. Yikes.

Well, good to know it isn't just me. Sorry, lol. Hopefully someone from TCL/Roku reads this and can recreate the issue and push out a fix.

post #492 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, same. Nice! That and the Peru 8k HDR vid that played right after as well. Beautiful. No issues at all.

Well, good to know it isn't just me. Sorry, lol. Hopefully someone from TCL/Roku reads this and can recreate the issue and push out a fix.
Yeah, it should be a fixable problem I would think.
post #493 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Can anyone please tell me if the R625 is worth upgrading from the R617 2018. I have the R617. So would it be worth the upgrade of Quantum Dot alone? I don't put much stock into Rtings.com as they are bias. They hate TCL product. CNET said the TCL R625 is the best TV of 2019 minus the review of the Hisense H9F since they haven't reviewed it yet. So anyone that had a TCL R17 from last year that upgraded to the R625 is it worth it? Thanks
post #494 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
Can anyone please tell me if the R625 is worth upgrading from the R617 2018. I have the R617. So would it be worth the upgrade of Quantum Dot alone? I don't put much stock into Rtings.com as they are bias. They hate TCL product. CNET said the TCL R625 is the best TV of 2019 minus the review of the Hisense H9F since they haven't reviewed it yet. So anyone that had a TCL R17 from last year that upgraded to the R625 is it worth it? Thanks
What are you going to use the tv for? I have both.

I am satisfied with the corrections they have made on the R625 but they are mostly noticeable if you are a gamer.
post #495 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt1174 View Post
I would be careful saying that Rtings.com is biased and that they hate a certain brand.
aaronwt likes this.
post #496 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrdtakn View Post
So I bit the bullet and did the rtings settings in expert mode. I am coming from a 9 year old LG ips display so keep that in mind. I have not done a dse test and don't plan on it. The rtings settings have made skin tones richer and more accurate. I have notice some very minor stuttering at times but I attribute that to the source as it is very infrequent. I have played a lot of borderlands 3,some God of war, and The Witness all on a ps4 slim in hdr. All look incredible but still tweaking some settings. I have also played some gears 4 and gears 5 on an Xbox one s. I have tried the gears 4 split screen hdr visualization and it seems to be very little improvement honestly. It is sometimes hard to see the split, but once again still tweaking. One of the videos that shocked me I was watching a YouTube video (Irish people try Guinness cocktails) and the lights in the video went out. I honestly thought my TV turned off. Then they turn on their phone flash light. The effect was mind blowing (keep in mind I am coming from a 9 year old ips panel). As I do more testing I will continue to report. I also have low teir Netflix and even in 1080 everything looks awesome. I am also watching a normally lit family room with overhead light and a lamp. Please feel free to ask any questions.
Yup! That's why I find it hard to ever go back to using an IPS based display. Movies are definitely way more immersive on a TV with near perfect blacks! There's also been numerous times I've thought my TV has shutdown or turned off only to discover it was just a movie or tv scene that was intended to be completely dark scene That will never happen on an IPS display!
neightdog likes this.
post #497 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk373 View Post
Rtings doesn't dislike it at all. They gave it an 8.1 overall rating, which is very good. The first line of the review:

The TCL 6 Series 2019 is a great budget 4k TV with impressive picture quality and low input lag for gaming.

Doesn't sound like they hated it to me.
Yeah sounds like they were being overly generous TBH since they still gave it 8.1 as use for PC monitor even though it can't display text correctly! "The TCL 6 Series 2019 can display chroma 4:4:4 properly, but only in 4k. When sending a 1080p or 1440p signal from a PC, it can't display chroma 4:4:4 properly, so text doesn't look clear. This is very surprising, as almost all 4k TVs can do this, so we expect it's a bug with the current firmware. We'll retest this with future firmware updates." Basically giving TCL the benefit of the doubt that they will fix issue with firmware update and what if they don't? Also, noted major motion handling issues and still gave it a decent rating:"The TCL 65R625 has good overall motion handling. It has a fast response time, but the backlight always flickers, causing some noticeable motion artifacts and duplications."
post #498 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Tried watching Starship Troopers to test this. It played it for a good 23-25 minutes, then the app crashes and does what you guys described as well. Trying to pick up where I left off, it played for a brief few seconds and repeated the same behavior. I removed the app, and "re-installed" it. I was then able to get past that point (but I didn't stick too long to see if it will happen again, as I have no plans to keep watching Starship lol).

Question though: how do you guys know it was commercial? I did not get any commercial at all...it just crashed.
post #499 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:

I am satisfied with the corrections they have made on the R625 but they are mostly noticeable if you are a gamer.
Yeah depends on what you are going to use it for but according to this latest review sounds like the older model is actually better for gaming?
"The TCL 6 Series/R625 2019 is very similar to the TCL 6 Series/R617 2018. The R625 has a more premium design and a much better local dimming feature, but the R617 is brighter and has better reflection handling. The R625 has a higher backlight flicker frequency, but a slower response time, and motion doesn't look as good."
post #500 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Yeah depends on what you are going to use it for but according to this latest review sounds like the older model is actually better for gaming?
"The TCL 6 Series/R625 2019 is very similar to the TCL 6 Series/R617 2018. The R625 has a more premium design and a much better local dimming feature, but the R617 is brighter and has better reflection handling. The R625 has a higher backlight flicker frequency, but a slower response time, and motion doesn't look as good."
New model better for movies with better black uniformity and color gamut I would think though I don't own both so can't really tell.
post #501 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I might be completely wrong and just perceive it as less bring because it possibly being more accurate it colors. The R615 had a real "POW" to the colors in HDR and I loved it but it might not have been accurate, so to speak.
Yeah my first 4K TV a Seiki made colors really pop but colors totally inaccurate compared to my newer 4K TV's
post #502 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 04:36 PM

Liked: 61
On a different note... I have had dozens of TV's here and never once have my cats displayed the least bit of interest in any of them. Also, I watch these 4K Nature videos all the time as well and never had a response from the felines.

Must be the quantum dots. lol

*Please excuse my messy room.
post #503 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I watched starship troopers and same thing happened got to ad 3 froze on a black screen then the TV rebooted itself. Resumed the video and it went back to ad 1 of 4, froze after ad 4 of 4 and the TV rebooted again. I didn't try playing it again, I'm going to hook up my roku 3 to another TV and see if it does it on that too.
post #504 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for helping confirm its not just my unit fellas.

Any 615 owners lurking/still own that experience the same?

post #505 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anybody confirm that the purple and green issues in Forza 4 and red dead 2 are gone? How bad is the crosshatching that rtings mentions in their review?

I have the p607 and I love it except for the 4K artifacts. I am trying to decide between the r625 and h9f

Last edited by dethpuck; 10-17-2019 at 07:50 PM.
post #506 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethpuck View Post
Anybody confirm that the purple and green issues o forsaken 4 and red dead 2 are gone? How bad is the crosshatching that ratings mentions in their review?

I have the p607 and I love it except for the 4K artifacts. I am trying to decide between the r625 and h9f
It is completely gone
post #507 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else trying to watch the 4K HDR streams of TNF or the ALCS on the Fox Sports app tonight through your 625's? I've watched a little of both, hoping to catch my first glimpse of 4K sports, however I can't be sure I'm actually getting it in 4K. I *think* I am, since it does look a little different to me (these are upconverted 1080p, not 4K native cameras), but if I hit '*' to bring up the Settings menu, the picture mode still shows "Movie", and not the "Dark HDR", etc settings that I would see when watching e.g. the Dolby Vision channel content.

Is there some other way to verify the resolution of the active stream? I thought someone earlier mentioned hitting the "OK" button, but that didn't do anything for me.

Just curious as to what the rest of you are seeing.

Thanks!
post #508 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogins View Post
Anyone else trying to watch the 4K HDR streams of TNF or the ALCS on the Fox Sports app tonight through your 625's? I've watched a little of both, hoping to catch my first glimpse of 4K sports, however I can't be sure I'm actually getting it in 4K. I *think* I am, since it does look a little different to me (these are upconverted 1080p, not 4K native cameras), but if I hit '*' to bring up the Settings menu, the picture mode still shows "Movie", and not the "Dark HDR", etc settings that I would see when watching e.g. the Dolby Vision channel content.

Is there some other way to verify the resolution of the active stream? I thought someone earlier mentioned hitting the "OK" button, but that didn't do anything for me.

Thanks!
There has been limited devices that actually got the HDR stream. So if the TV isn't reporting it you may just be getting the 4K stream and not the HDR stream.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #509 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogins View Post

Thanks!
I want to know how to do this.
post #510 of 1286 Old 10-17-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzer View Post
I want to know how to do this.
How to do what?

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page