2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 473Likes

post #571 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Curious about backlight level affecting motion and game mode degrading picture.

I know game mode usually looks different but I didn't really notice it just flipping back and forth.

Turning dimming(local contrast) on and off also effects the image, adding processing and potentially using a different LUT.
On the gaming mode, I don't know what specifically the TV turns off that is not available in the menu but TCL states that it reduces image quality to improve input lag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnewsisyphus View Post
Turning dimming(local contrast) on and off also effects the image, adding processing and potentially using a different LUT.
On the gaming mode, I don't know what specifically the TV turns off that is not available in the menu but TCL states that it reduces image quality to improve input lag.

Do you have some official info from TCL? Would be nice if we had a real manual to explain all the settings.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #573 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've been looking at soundbars due to the abhorrent sound on this thing and I no longer have room for my old M&K THX setup.

I realize the 6 series can process Atmos, but it's my understanding that you need eARC for the bandwidth to send the signal to a soundbar. Does this mean that the TV won't send Atmos to the soundbar? I'm going to be pushing most content from the onboard Roku.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Do you have some official info from TCL? Would be nice if we had a real manual to explain all the settings.
Game mode – Only on HDMI® and AV inputs: Controls whether Game mode is enabled. When On, the TV performs less image processing and has less input lag
It also says it disables local contrast(fald), is that true?
post #575 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy80 View Post
I've been looking at soundbars due to the abhorrent sound on this thing and I no longer have room for my old M&K THX setup.

I realize the 6 series can process Atmos, but it's my understanding that you need eARC for the bandwidth to send the signal to a soundbar. Does this mean that the TV won't send Atmos to the soundbar? I'm going to be pushing most content from the onboard Roku.

Thanks!
Lossy Atmos "anything you stream" can travel over standard ARC. You need eARC to pass uncompressed or lossless, but you only really find that on blur-ray players etc.
post #576 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
Lossy Atmos "anything you stream" can travel over standard ARC. You need eARC to pass uncompressed or lossless, but you only really find that on blur-ray players etc.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks! Now I just need to determine if Atmos is worth it for me 🙂
post #577 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
That makes a lot of sense, thanks! Now I just need to determine if Atmos is worth it for me 🙂
Just for the record, Atmos is not only about vertical firing speakers but also about how the audio is encoded (object based). The most straightforward setup is to get an atmos capable bar with HDMI passthrough, but as you might guess, this leaves the built in roku system out of the running, which would work through ARC only.

All that to say, if you get a bluray player for uncompressed, you can pass that through the soundbar, and the rest can come through the TV since it is compressed anyhow.
post #578 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnewsisyphus View Post
Quote:
Just for the record, Atmos is not only about vertical firing speakers but also about how the audio is encoded (object based). The most straightforward setup is to get an atmos capable bar with HDMI passthrough, but as you might guess, this leaves the built in roku system out of the running, which would work through ARC only.

All that to say, if you get a bluray player for uncompressed, you can pass that through the soundbar, and the rest can come through the TV since it is compressed anyhow.
Thanks! I totally get all of that. I need to take a listen for myself though. Most of what I'm reading says it can be really hit and miss, plus I'm not trying to blow my roof off anymore, I just want some good & clean sound for my pretentious dialog driven movies and tv shows..

Though it would still be nice to have my face rocked with Fury Road 🙂
post #579 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, looking for another TV for my game room and really interested in this TV as I own the outstanding R615.

I’m going to be using it for gaming on my Xbox, PS4 and for casual TV watching through Apple TV. If I enjoy the R615 will I enjoy this? My only big concern is some of the slight ghosting being worse from the R615.

About to take the plunge in an hour or two so.. hopefully I’ll get a reply. Thanks!
post #580 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh3lix View Post
Hey guys, looking for another TV for my game room and really interested in this TV as I own the outstanding R615.

I’m going to be using it for gaming on my Xbox, PS4 and for casual TV watching through Apple TV. If I enjoy the R615 will I enjoy this? My only big concern is some of the slight ghosting being worse from the R615.

About to take the plunge in an hour or two so.. hopefully I’ll get a reply. Thanks!

Same, I've read a few reviews that mention the ghosting being unbearable in gaming. I'm coming from a Samsung NU8000, which is one of the better gaming TVs around, so I don't really want to sacrifice my gaming. But I need movies to look better, which the TCL can accomplish.

I don't know what to do. Is ANYONE an avid gamer here??
post #581 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How is there not an “official” calibration settings for this tv yet? I’ve had it for over 3 weeks and as a experienced consumer I need someone more professional to app feed me the best recommended calibration settings!!!

The motion seems slow and stutters with fast motion. I’ve turned on movie mode and darker (mine won’t let me choose HDR Dark on Roku app without error) and turned off action smoothing off, natural cinema off, LED motion clarity off.

Anyone have full professional calibration settings for best use?
post #582 of 1087 Old 10-20-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox9 View Post
How is there not an “official” calibration settings for this tv yet? I’ve had it for over 3 weeks and as a experienced consumer I need someone more professional to app feed me the best recommended calibration settings!!!

The motion seems slow and stutters with fast motion. I’ve turned on movie mode and darker (mine won’t let me choose HDR Dark on Roku app without error) and turned off action smoothing off, natural cinema off, LED motion clarity off.

Anyone have full professional calibration settings for best use?

Both the cnet review and the rtings review have their recommended settings up. You should have natural cinema on probably.
theboomr likes this.
post #583 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone here ordered a longer power cord for the 65R625? I'm pretty sure that it is a C13 style plug, but the fact that it doesn't have a ground hole is giving me pause as to if a standard C13 style will work. Thanks!
post #584 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celly View Post
Has anyone here ordered a longer power cord for the 65R625? I'm pretty sure that it is a C13 style plug, but the fact that it doesn't have a ground hole is giving me pause as to if a standard C13 style will work. Thanks!

I'm not sure when I've ever seen a tv with that style plug and a ground. At least not in a long time. Isn't it one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Cord-12...15477048&psc=1

All my other TV's are. I can look in a few.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #585 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure when I've ever seen a tv with that style plug and a ground. At least not in a long time. Isn't it one of these.

All my other TV's are. I can look in a few.
Surprisingly nope. That barrel style is what my 615 is. The 625 seems to be the same style as computer supply -- but being only 2 hole gives me pause.
post #586 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celly View Post
Surprisingly nope. That barrel style is what my 615 is. The 625 seems to be the same style as computer supply -- but being only 2 hole gives me pause.

Hmmm thats odd.

post #587 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 59
So can anyone comment on the brightness of the tv? RTings says it can’t get that bright (or at least it’s not as bright as the Hisense H9F). Has anyone seen this to be a problem?

More importantly, how’s the motion while watching HDR movies or playing HDR Games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #588 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I think it is plenty bright(to me). It is my main display, coming from a Panny 50g10 as my main display and brighter than my Vizio P702uiB3 which is strictly movies/games.. I also have it in a Southern facing room with lots of sun light. I find movies excellent on it, HDR especially so. But this is my first set with HDR so I have nothing to compare it to. No games on it yet either. I watched Avengers Infinity War on Netflix and it looked surprisingly good for regular HD. Stayed up till 2am on Saturday night just looking at that movie heh(I need to get it on 4k). Even OTA Wheel of Fortune looked good, the numbers on the wheel never really showing motion issues. Football yesterday was fine, the only limitation being all the compression. Which was there on all sources; cable, Fox Sports app and OTA.

Pretty sure this one is not going back, but I have another week to decide. The more I use it, the more I enjoy it. From the sounds of it though you probably can't go wrong with either(this or H9F).
neightdog likes this.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #589 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Is anyone able to use the Roku smartphone app to change the enhanced picture mode to “HDR Darker”?
post #590 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox9 View Post
Is anyone able to use the Roku smartphone app to change the enhanced picture mode to “HDR Darker”?
HDR Dark is the only "Dark" option I see and yes, I can toggle between it, Normal and Bright using the Roku app on my Pixel 3.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #591 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
So I have been seeing some severe color banding in certain colors like blue skies.

I have attached pictures which goes as following:

Bright HDR

Normal HDR

Dark HDR

The video is the Bulgaria 8K video on YouTube.

Can someone else confirm they are seeing the same thing, and possibly compare it to the R617 if they have it? I also have the R617 but it is packed away at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_161626_1571689355358.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	2630382   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_161813_1571689375431.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	4.28 MB
ID:	2630384   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191021_161826_1571689391459.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	4.02 MB
ID:	2630386  
post #592 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth84 View Post
So I have been seeing some severe color banding in certain colors like blue skies.

Bright HDR

Normal HDR

Dark HDR

Can someone else confirm they are seeing the same thing, and possibly compare it to the R617 if they have it? I also have the R617 but it is packed away at the moment.

This is vague, use the template below so that people can match your conditions
  • TV size: 55 / 65
  • What Source: TV Apps / FireTV / Shield, ETC (don't just say netflix, say whether it's through the TV or external box/stick)
  • Picture Mode: Movie (changes lookup tables and will effect banding)
  • Backlight Level: ## (changes dimming and reportedly effect motion, try 60)
  • TV brightness range in the TV picture settings menu
  • Local Contrast: Low / Medium / High (Active dimming level)
  • Action Smoothing: Off (soap opera effect)
  • Led Motion Clarity: On / Off (will cause image duplication that will appear stuttery)
  • Natural Cinema: On / Off (reduces judder in 24p sources)
  • Image Enhancement > Dynamic Contrast : Off (can cause delay/inconsistent processing)
  • HDMI Mode: 1.4 / 2.0 / Auto (set to 2.0 for newer -some years now- devices)
  • Game Mode: On / Off (degrades image quality for better input lag)
  • Firmware/OS Version:
post #593 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 04:49 PM

Picture #1
  • TV size: 55
  • What Source: YouTube app within the Roko interface
  • Picture Mode: HDR Bright
  • Backlight Level: 100
  • =Color Temperature: Normal
  • TV brightness range in the TV picture settings menu: Brighter
  • Local Contrast: High
  • Action Smoothing: Off
  • Led Motion Clarity: Off
  • Natural Cinema: Off
  • Image Enhancement > Dynamic Contrast : Off
  • HDMI Mode: Not applicable since it is through the YouTube app...I think.
  • Game Mode: Off
  • Firmware/OS Version: 9.1.2

Picture #2
  • Picture Mode: HDR Normal

Picture #3
  • Picture Mode: HDR Dark
  • =Color Temperature: Warm
post #594 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Picture #1
  • Picture Mode: HDR Bright

Picture #2
  • Picture Mode: HDR Normal

Picture #3
  • Picture Mode: HDR Dark
  • =Color Temperature: Warm

Did you try with a lower brightness mode in:

Also try setting local contrast off just for troubleshooting to see if that causes any changes (can have a different look up table)
post #595 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Bright HDR

Normal HDR

Dark HDR

My settings are about the same as yours and the video looks great for me. Thanks for the channel btw. This site is terrible with attaching images. They often don't load. I had to go to my desktop to see them.

post #596 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
My settings are about the same as yours and the video looks great for me. Thanks for the channel btw. This site is terrible with attaching images. They often don't load. I had to go to my desktop to see them.
What setting are you on in HDR? Brightness and all that. I appreciate your input, man.

Edit: You said it in your original post, my bad. I wonder what is causing my banding in HDR Bright.
post #597 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What setting are you on in HDR? Brightness and all that. I appreciate your input, man.

Edit: You said it in your original post, my bad. I wonder what is causing my banding in HDR Bright.

I use HDR dark. When I go to take a picture through my phone it looks kind of like yours. But better in real life. I'm not sure what to look for. It's not a perfect single color. But there isn't lines going across or anything.

If anything it might be a tiny bit blotchy but that's just nitpicking.

post #598 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I use HDR dark. When I go to take a picture through my phone it looks kind of like yours. But better in real life. I'm not sure what to look for. It's not a perfect single color. But there isn't lines going across or anything.

If anything it might be a tiny bit blotchy but that's just nitpicking.
Ok, HDR Dark looks better for me too when taking about the gradient of the blue but I prefer my picture to be more vibrant and bright, that's why I usually use HDR Bright.

Again, this might have been exactly the same on the R617 and my mind is just playing the buyers remorse game with me.
post #599 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 05:58 PM

Just got the TV from Electronic Express. Thus far looks pretty good, although the awkward stand makes it so that I have to mount the TV now (it doesn't fit on our media console).

Any one have an easy to install recommended tv mount that would fit this? Thanks
post #600 of 1087 Old 10-21-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Stuart View Post
Just got the TV from Electronic Express. Thus far looks pretty good, although the awkward stand makes it so that I have to mount the TV now (it doesn't fit on our media console).

Any one have an easy to install recommended tv mount that would fit this? Thanks

This is the one I got, pretty straight forward. But there are plenty of vesa stands if you just want it to sit on your current console.

ECHOGEAR Full Motion Articulating... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VMJEK2C...p_mob_ap_share

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page