2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 492Likes

post #601 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
TV size: 55
What Source: TV Apps YouTube
Picture Mode: HDR Dark (changes lookup tables and will effect banding)
Backlight Level: max (changes dimming and reportedly effect motion, try 60)
TV brightness range in the TV picture settings menu
Local Contrast: Low / Medium / High (Active dimming level) TRIED ALL
Action Smoothing: Off (soap opera effect)
Led Motion Clarity: Off (will cause image duplication that will appear stuttery)
Natural Cinema: On (reduces judder in 24p sources)
Image Enhancement > Dynamic Contrast : Off (can cause delay/inconsistent processing)
HDMI Mode: 2.0
Game Mode: Off (degrades image quality for better input lag)

Has anybody watched the 4k HDR trailer for End Game. It seems as though the highlights are really blown out. I don't know of that's what they were going for or if I have more adjustments to make. The beginning Tony Starks arms have a serious glow on them, while the sdr version there is much more detail. I'll try to get a picture later. I was also watching Sin City in standard HD. I noticed that with Marvs shadow there are Grey lines going across the shadow. Tried with all combinations and it was the same. I'm thinking most likely Netflix compression, my system is also hooked up to 5ghz on a 200mbps connection. No option for hardwired.

Last edited by alrdtakn; 10-21-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 98
MNF looks excellent on the ESPN app. This is how HD football should have been for all games.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #603 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox9 View Post
Is anyone able to use the Roku smartphone app to change the enhanced picture mode to “HDR Darker”?
HDR Dark is the only "Dark" option I see and yes, I can toggle between it, Normal and Bright using the Roku app on my Pixel 3.
This is what I see, but can’t chose any of the HDR settings without an error.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	035E129B-7F7C-4F6D-8097-9FD3B46452CD_1571711454445.png
Views:	41
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	2630504   Click image for larger version

Name:	D75B8A8B-F2C1-4778-B5F5-4510EE6BDB9A_1571711519639.png
Views:	37
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	2630506  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth84 View Post
Ok, HDR Dark looks better for me too when taking about the gradient of the blue but I prefer my picture to be more vibrant and bright, that's why I usually use HDR Bright.

Again, this might have been exactly the same on the R617 and my mind is just playing the buyers remorse game with me.
I don't have issues either with that video. Possible that you internet just isn't up to speed, reducing resolution and color and introducing the gradient bands?

Keep in mind, the difference between HDR Bright and HDR Dark isn't brightness. It is white balance. It's fine if you like that look, but TV Brightness adjusts actual brightness and gives me that pop I want(depending on the time of day for me). Just trying to clarify.
aaronwt, theboomr and neightdog like this.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #605 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
[quote=whiteboy714;58714244]This is the one I got, pretty straight forward. But there are plenty of vesa stands if you just want it to sit on your current console.

ECHOGEAR Full Motion Articulating...

Just bought it. Thanks for recommendation
post #606 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
I don't have issues either with that video. Possible that you internet just isn't up to speed, reducing resolution and color and introducing the gradient bands?

Keep in mind, the difference between HDR Bright and HDR Dark isn't brightness. It is white balance. It's fine if you like that look, but TV Brightness adjusts actual brightness and gives me that pop I want(depending on the time of day for me). Just trying to clarify.
Internet is fine and runs the video at 4K resolution or what ever the max resolution YouTube support is. I am really starting to wonder if I somehow have a defect panel in some way. I need to dig out the R617 again to compare.
post #607 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is anyone able to use the Roku smartphone app to change the enhanced picture mode to “HDR Darker”?
HDR Dark is the only "Dark" option I see and yes, I can toggle between it, Normal and Bright using the Roku app on my Pixel 3.
Oh wow, yeah you have way more options than I do and I cannot change from Low Power when on an HDR source. I can click on "Movie" or any other option,but the screen does nothing and if I exit out of the app and go back in. It is still set to Low Power, so settings don't retain for me. While viewing HDR content only. Gamma changes do stick however.

In this instance I am streaming In the Tall Grass on Netflix. No DV options at all despite the TV displaying the DV icon in top right of the screen.

post #608 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh wow, yeah you have way more options than I do and I cannot change from Low Power when on an HDR source. I can click on "Movie" or any other option,but the screen does nothing and if I exit out of the app and go back in. It is still set to Low Power, so settings don't retain for me. While viewing HDR content only. Gamma changes do stick however.

In this instance I am streaming In the Tall Grass on Netflix. No DV options at all despite the TV displaying the DV icon in top right of the screen.

I see you’re on Android, I’m on iOS. I already called TCL Support and they are approving an exchange based on the fact that I can’t pick the HDR modes. I called bc I was getting a lot of jutering on fast motion.
post #609 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
I see you’re on Android, I’m on iOS. I already called TCL Support and they are approving an exchange based on the fact that I can’t pick the HDR modes. I called bc I was getting a lot of jutering on fast motion.

Were you actually viewing HDR content at that time. That's the only time those options are available.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #610 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There was a post on rtings discussion board that the app is the problem. On the play store version of the app on my Galaxy S7 edge it doesn't allow me to choose hdr options, only shows low power mode. I downloaded an older version of the app and it had the hdr versions showing.
post #611 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Still waiting for my replacement to come but I just noticed that the brown dot on the top left of my screen is now about a 12 inches lower on the screen. Which is now in the middle of the screen.
So I'm guessing it's just dirt behind the screen, wish there was a way to clean would keep it all my other issues are software that others on here are having and hopefully get fixed in an update (Roku Channel app rebooting the TV on ads and ARC HDMI dropping sound to soundbar).

Also got an update to 9.1.2 Build 6441 today for anyone that wants to manually check.

Last edited by DvST8; 10-22-2019 at 07:29 AM.
post #612 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrdtakn View Post
Led Motion Clarity: Off (will cause image duplication that will appear stuttery)
Image Enhancement > Dynamic Contrast : Off (can cause delay/inconsistent processing)

Has anybody watched the 4k HDR trailer for End Game. It seems as though the highlights are really blown out. I don't know of that's what they were going for or if I have more adjustments to make. The beginning Tony Starks arms have a serious glow on them, while the sdr version there is much more detail. I'll try to get a picture later. I was also watching Sin City in standard HD. I noticed that with Marvs shadow there are Grey lines going across the shadow. Tried with all combinations and it was the same. I'm thinking most likely Netflix compression, my system is also hooked up to 5ghz on a 200mbps connection. No option for hardwired.

Drop your backlight level to 80 or so. What is your TV brightness range at? If it is at brighter, drop that down one level.
Alternatively, drop contrast a bit, that is what controls the bright parts
post #613 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoth84 View Post
So I have been seeing some severe color banding in certain colors like blue skies.

I have attached pictures which goes as following:

Bright HDR

Normal HDR

Dark HDR

The video is the Bulgaria 8K video on YouTube.

Can someone else confirm they are seeing the same thing, and possibly compare it to the R617 if they have it? I also have the R617 but it is packed away at the moment.

So I had the same blotchy effect (maybe it’s called banding?) of the blue sky that you had in your first pic. I worked on removing just that without lowering the contrast setting (100). Lowering the contrast directly removes the effect.

In the expert settings on the Roku app I changed the color space from auto to native and set gamma to 2.2.

This worked for my tv. I was able to remove the blotch and leave it in HDR Bright and the same settings of your 1st pic.

Here are more details I found regarding the color space options: since it’s my first post I can’t post a link but google the Roku expert picture settings and there’s a user guide that has the link explaining the difference in sdr/hdr native, auto, and custom color panel settings.
it took so long to figure out how to post my first post I had to go to the full site and now I’m seeing that the expert settings are being discussed. Nonetheless I am enjoying my 55 and I do think I got a better set than rtings.
post #614 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

There was a post on rtings discussion board that the app is the problem. On the play store version of the app on my Galaxy S7 edge it doesn't allow me to choose hdr options, only shows low power mode. I downloaded an older version of the app and it had the hdr versions showing.
Good to know, thanks! Although not usually a big deal as I can set that on the TV itself. About the only time I use the app is just to set gamma levels and make sure noise reduction is off. Since those are the only 2 settings you can't access on the TV.

post #615 of 1161 Old 10-21-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsnewsisyphus View Post
Quote:

Drop your backlight level to 80 or so. What is your TV brightness range at? If it is at brighter, drop that down one level.
Alternatively, drop contrast a bit, that is what controls the bright parts
I droppedy back light to about 75 as it was still blown at 80, dropped from brighter to normal. You said alternatively about the contrast, but I played around with it and dropped the contrast to around 85 and that seems to have helped some. I'm gonna play around more. Hitting that sweet spot of pop and brightness is going to be a fun time. I really do enjoy the tweaking, my wife on the other hand not so much. Thanks for all the info though.
post #616 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Quote:
I see you’️re on Android, I’️m on iOS. I already called TCL Support and they are approving an exchange based on the fact that I can’️t pick the HDR modes. I called bc I was getting a lot of jutering on fast motion.

Were you actually viewing HDR content at that time. That's the only time those options are available.
Not sure I know how to tell what content is HDR? I mainly watch Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. TCL support had me go to YouTube to try enabling HDR video modes, nothing worked.
post #617 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Not sure I know how to tell what content is HDR? I mainly watch Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. TCL support had me go to YouTube to try enabling HDR video modes, nothing worked.
You will know when you are watching HDR content because a HDR or Dolby Vision logo will pop up in the upper right corner.
post #618 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The YouTube video will almost always say HDR in the title. Netflix will have an HDR badge (you need premium Netflix subscription)

If you are actually watching HDR when you push the "*" on your remote you will see HDR options that aren't usually there.

This one should be in HDR.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #619 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
The YouTube video will almost always say HDR in the title. Netflix will have an HDR badge (you need premium Netflix subscription)

If you are actually watching HDR when you push the "*" on your remote you will see HDR options that aren't usually there.

This one should be in HDR.

https://youtu.be/ESxn1cLz-Ig
Thank you for the explanation and link, I'll try this when I get home today. When I was talking to tech support at TCL they just had me search youtube for 4K and click on any video. On netflix I made sure in the attributes it said UltraHD and I enabled the stats HUD to ensure it was in fact streaming 4k (wow that uses a ton of bandwidth!) I don't remember the title I was watching on Netflix, one of the newer earth/nature series... there were penguins, and other sea creatures, but maybe it wasn't HDR.
post #620 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the explanation and link, I'll try this when I get home today. When I was talking to tech support at TCL they just had me search youtube for 4K and click on any video. On netflix I made sure in the attributes it said UltraHD and I enabled the stats HUD to ensure it was in fact streaming 4k (wow that uses a ton of bandwidth!) I don't remember the title I was watching on Netflix, one of the newer earth/nature series... there were penguins, and other sea creatures, but maybe it wasn't HDR.

Yeah on Netflix it has to say HDR or Dolby Vision. If it says ultra HD it's just 4k resolution.

You can search "HDR" on Netflix and stuff will come up. Most common things that will be in HDR or DV are Netflix originals.

As far as Youtube they should know better. There's a huge amount of 4k videos that are not HDR.

Sounds like your hopefully just need to find yourself done HDR content.

Amazon prime does things weird. They often have the same show listed twice. One in 1080p and the other in 4k/HDR. For some reason you have to dig for the 4k version.

Good luck
theboomr likes this.

post #621 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Just walked into the living room and the tv was on. Looks like it updated to 9.1.2 build 6441. Not really sure what changed but hopefully it was for the better.

Last edited by whiteboy714; 10-22-2019 at 11:01 AM.
post #622 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
rtings just posted their video review.
aaronwt likes this.
post #623 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Just walked into the living room and the tv was on. Looks like it updated to 9.2.1 build 6441. Not really sure what changed but hopefully it was for the better.
Can you find the Apple TV channel now?
post #624 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjconnor10 View Post
Can you find the Apple TV channel now?

Negative. It installed from the web browser on my PC on my five series. But still don’t see it on this one.

post #625 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
The most annoying thing I have with this TV is it randomly turns on at all hours of the night, multiple times a night. It happens during the day too. I have to cut power to the surge protector.
I have the 55" (2018) 617 and most of instances of the set turning on "randomly" could be attributed to one or more of my remotes being moved (often the cats!) triggering CEC. It is most definitely a weird thing to experience.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #626 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 119
One of the v9.2 features is "Roku Zones"

Use voice control to say something like "Show me Marvel Movies", you'll get a grouping of movies instead of text like it used to be. It also shows if you can view it already via a subscription service, or how much it would cost in multiple services. It's useful and pretty cool.
aaronwt likes this.
post #627 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Just walked into the living room and the tv was on. Looks like it updated to 9.2.1 build 6441. Not really sure what changed but hopefully it was for the better.

It’s definitely 9.2.1 not 9.1.2?
post #628 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
It’s definitely 9.2.1 not 9.1.2?

Oh I’m sorry definitely not. Ha that was a bad place for a typo. 9.1.2

##Edit Anyone else getting lag with the stock Youtube app? If i navigate on the dpad too quick, it starts to lag. One time I tried to back out of a video and it froze and the whole tv locked up.
Jesse Coane likes this.

Last edited by whiteboy714; 10-22-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #629 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Best way to Get TCL Customer Support?

To those of you who have had to engage TCL USA support, what is the most effective way to go about it?

Right now my 2018 55R617 is dead. It had been perfect since I bought it (Amazon) in February but last night while watching Amazon Prime there was a flash in the back, an electrical POP, the faint smell of a short circuit and it all went black.

I called the TCL Customer Support number from my Amazon order last night and was supposed to have received a call back by now if they really do go by "preferred call back time." Maybe I'm just impatient...they quoted 24 hour turn around and that won't be until later tonight. I don't want to be that annoying customer leaving multiple messages and emails and Tweets but I also don't want this to drag out any longer than necessary.

This was my first new TV in 10+ years and its the only one in the house. I just want everything to be working again.
neightdog likes this.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #630 of 1161 Old 10-22-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Stuart View Post
Just got the TV from Electronic Express. Thus far looks pretty good, although the awkward stand makes it so that I have to mount the TV now (it doesn't fit on our media console).

Any one have an easy to install recommended tv mount that would fit this? Thanks
There are various stand options like these that might work for you:
amazon.com/dp/B01HE1IVNA
amazon.com/dp/B077MJZ6ZG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page