2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 546Likes

post #1291 of 1472 Old 12-06-2019, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
I'm trying my hardest to understand why Dolby Vision is such garbage on this TV lol. Where as it's pretty great on the 5 series??? WTF.

My findings so far are that most standard blu rays look superior to their UHD counterparts. The upscaling is fantastic and at a certain distant, I don't notice the difference in resolution detail. But I sure as hell notice the brightness difference. You lose some detail without Dolby Vision or HDR... but honestly, the bright, vivid pop of the SDR picture has far outweighed the drab washed out nonsense of this TV's version of Dolby Vision. I don't understand it. I literally have to crank the color meter to 100 on Dolby Vision Dark on some content to get any sense of color out of it, and raise the gamma to 2.0 or even 1.8 to even see ****. Does anyone else have to do this?

This is different from the 5 series TV. It is colorful, bright and detailed in a dark room and there are even less settings to adjust! The Dolby Vision on the 5 series literally sold me on the 6.

I'm starting to think it's genuinely the faulty local dimming of the 6. (the 5 doesn't have any dimming, so I guess it's more pure?) I have to have it on high due to blacking out the black bars, but it crushes the ever loving **** out of the actual picture into the abyss of washed out darkness. Boy oh boy do I wish this had a "contrast enhancer" or some other kind of setting to compensate a bit.

But this is the confusing part. I try Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and a few others in 4K HDR and they look PERFECT. Like UHD is supposed to look like. I know different content is mastered differently, but certain movies that looked great in Dolby Vision on Disney + on my 5 series, look like crap on the 6. It's a total mixed bag of confusion and I wish it was far more consistent. Movies actually filmed with film or are native 4K look so substantially better so far.

Try leaving the settings at default then put it in Dolby vision dark and put the tv brightness to “brighter”.
neightdog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1472 Old 12-06-2019, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Coane View Post
Try leaving the settings at default then put it in Dolby vision dark and put the tv brightness to “brighter”.

lol. I've unplugged it and plugged it back in too! It's definitely on brighter. and I've reset the settings a few times. I've tried everything I can think of, so I'm just chalking it up to something TCL need to fix via firmware. As others have noted the black crush is a problem.
post #1293 of 1472 Old 12-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I'm trying my hardest to understand why Dolby Vision is such garbage on this TV lol. Where as it's pretty great on the 5 series??? WTF.

My findings so far are that most standard blu rays look superior to their UHD counterparts. The upscaling is fantastic and at a certain distant, I don't notice the difference in resolution detail. But I sure as hell notice the brightness difference. You lose some detail without Dolby Vision or HDR... but honestly, the bright, vivid pop of the SDR picture has far outweighed the drab washed out nonsense of this TV's version of Dolby Vision. I don't understand it. I literally have to crank the color meter to 100 on Dolby Vision Dark on some content to get any sense of color out of it, and raise the gamma to 2.0 or even 1.8 to even see ****. Does anyone else have to do this?

This is different from the 5 series TV. It is colorful, bright and detailed in a dark room and there are even less settings to adjust! The Dolby Vision on the 5 series literally sold me on the 6.
by going brighter.

I'm starting to think it's genuinely the faulty local dimming of the 6. (the 5 doesn't have any dimming, so I guess it's more pure?) I have to have it on high due to blacking out the black bars, but it crushes the ever loving **** out of the actual picture into the abyss of washed out darkness. Boy oh boy do I wish this had a "contrast enhancer" or some other kind of setting to compensate a bit.

But this is the confusing part. I try Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2, Amazing Spider-Man 2, and a few others in 4K HDR and they look PERFECT. Like UHD is supposed to look like. I know different content is mastered differently, but certain movies that looked great in Dolby Vision on Disney + on my 5 series, look like crap on the 6. It's a total mixed bag of confusion and I wish it was far more consistent. Movies actually filmed with film or are native 4K look so substantially better so far.

Yes, I was about to post the same thing. I am using Disney plus Star Wars force awakens opening scene as a reference source. Kylo Ren is a black blob with no definition, black is crushed to death. I watch the same scene on my Pioneer Plasma and I can actually see his outfit. I have tried tweaking he settings but cannot get any definition out of the TCL.

Edit: I finally got Roku 9.2 upgrade and yes it made no difference. Was hoping TV firmware changes were bundled with it. Hopefully TCL comes up with a fix, nice and black for a LCD, just need to stop crushing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 1472 Old 12-06-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Yes, I was about to post the same thing. I am using Disney plus Star Wars force awakens opening scene as a reference source. Kylo Ren is a black blob with no definition, black is crushed to death. I watch the same scene on my Pioneer Plasma and I can actually see his outfit. I have tried tweaking he settings but cannot get any definition out of the TCL.

This is pretty much exactly what I've been doing, I have a calibrated plasma in another room that I can sit right next to my TCL and see a very distinct difference. Yeah... I have the TCL set on "brighter"... but I'm still looking for that "brightest" setting lol. Or really anything that will kick up the picture a bit. It's aggravating not being able to dig a bit deeper into the settings.

Does anyone know of a secret menu for this TCL and if it has any options to potentially help?
post #1295 of 1472 Old 12-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by saludgrind View Post
I returned mine and got the 2019 m series so much happier. 0 yellowing. When I had my TCL I truly felt like I bought a budget TV. Too many little things added up for me. With the M series all that was eliminated. it's a dimmer set, and it has a way inferior OS, BUT you put a device on it, even a 45$ 4k fure stick and it is a way more dependable tv that looks super good. I feel like I have a legit Mid tier tv for a budget price
Hate to break the news but Vizio has known issues with quadrants of dark areas on screen due to bad LEDs and Vizio could not care less. Mine was near the top of the line. Have 3 Vizios. Hope the other 2 don’t follow suit.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #1296 of 1472 Old 12-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have to agree with the SD performance. I’m actually really impressed with the performance on SD VS HDR.

I wish we were able to disable Dolby vision/ HDR on the internal system.
post #1297 of 1472 Old 12-06-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Seems like DV on Dsiney+ is not the best test, its all pretty dark with low luminance.
neightdog likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #1298 of 1472 Old 12-06-2019, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Quote:
I returned mine and got the 2019 m series so much happier. 0 yellowing. When I had my TCL I truly felt like I bought a budget TV. Too many little things added up for me. With the M series all that was eliminated. it's a dimmer set, and it has a way inferior OS, BUT you put a device on it, even a 45$ 4k fure stick and it is a way more dependable tv that looks super good. I feel like I have a legit Mid tier tv for a budget price
Hate to break the news but Vizio has known issues with quadrants of dark areas on screen due to bad LEDs and Vizio could not care less. Mine was near the top of the line. Have 3 Vizios. Hope the other 2 don’️t follow suit.
I have 3 myself. No problems of note. My oldest is 6 yrs old and still doing well
post #1299 of 1472 Old 12-06-2019, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Packed my 55r625 to return, yellow edges, image processing issues I've detailed, got a Vizio m658 for less on sale.
post #1300 of 1472 Old 12-06-2019, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:

lol. I've unplugged it and plugged it back in too! It's definitely on brighter. and I've reset the settings a few times. I've tried everything I can think of, so I'm just chalking it up to something TCL need to fix via firmware. As others have noted the black crush is a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Barone View Post
I have to agree with the SD performance. I’️m actually really impressed with the performance on SD VS HDR.

I wish we were able to disable Dolby vision/ HDR on the internal system.
My 65R625 blows away my P series.

Dolby vision content I have seen is way brighter than my old 55P605.
I have been watching DV and HDR on Vudu, Netflix, and Blueray and it's been really really bright. I have been tweaking and messing with all the settings for about a week now and I love the TV.

For super bright, you can try these settings.

Try HDR normal (not dark) and the advance picture settings:
color temp- Warm
local dimming- medium

If you want you want even more brightness you can change the gamma to 2.0 with the Roku phone app.

Those settings make my TV really bright, I have changed the gamma just to see what I can get out of it. HDR Bright is just too much color for me. But if you do try HDR bright, be sure to change the color temp to warm for that one as well.

As for the motion, I like natural Cinema or all motion settings off, depends what I am watching. Cannot stand Motion Smoothness effect, and on my TV I had to turn it off on pretty much all the modes and devices cause my TV had it on for all the modes and sources.

I didn't mind cause I was playing with the TV to get a handle on it. I just think the motion Smoothness is not pleasant at all to me

I noticed some glitches here and there but this TV is really good.. at least the one I got
post #1301 of 1472 Old 12-07-2019, 01:03 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
not bashing in any sense. It was a super bright set and the roku OS is amazing. I do check in here every now and then to see if it's doing better, and if I can help someone who is beating themselves up like I was over this set then sure, I will lend a word or two. Don't be so defensive, it's a budget set and to me it felt like a budget set with the amount of issues it was presenting.
Quote:
I have 3 myself. No problems of note. My oldest is 6 yrs old and still doing well
The fanboy Vizio forum is calling.

I've had 2 Vizio's and had nothing but problems with both of them. The M65-F0 was a total piece of garbage. But I don't waste my time in that forum bashing them.
post #1302 of 1472 Old 12-07-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Seems like DV on Dsiney+ is not the best test, its all pretty dark with low luminance.

Yeah, I've heard the reports on that, but... how come certain movies looked so great on my 5 series? Captain Marvel for instance, looked really good on the 5, I saw more detail, color, it was bright and clear. I know how that movie should look, and on my 6 it's pretty miserable haha. Even the original Star Wars movies looked really good to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocre View Post

I have been watching DV and HDR on Vudu, Netflix, and Blueray and it's been really really bright. I have been tweaking and messing with all the settings for about a week now and I love the TV.

For super bright, you can try these settings.

Try HDR normal (not dark) and the advance picture settings:
color temp- Warm
local dimming- medium

If you want you want even more brightness you can change the gamma to 2.0 with the Roku phone app.

Those settings make my TV really bright, I have changed the gamma just to see what I can get out of it. HDR Bright is just too much color for me. But if you do try HDR bright, be sure to change the color temp to warm for that one as well.

As for the motion, I like natural Cinema or all motion settings off, depends what I am watching. Cannot stand Motion Smoothness effect, and on my TV I had to turn it off on pretty much all the modes and devices cause my TV had it on for all the modes and sources.

I didn't mind cause I was playing with the TV to get a handle on it. I just think the motion Smoothness is not pleasant at all to me

I noticed some glitches here and there but this TV is really good.. at least the one I got

I do roll on HDR Normal most times. I can't do Bright because it's broken. There's backlight fluctuations in "Bright" and it can't keep up with scene transitions. I would use HDR Bright with compensated settings if it wasn't so damn glitchy and unsightly. I do roll with warm temp and all motion settings off (except Natural cinema for movies) as well. Anything else is totally off base with this TV.

I can't keep the local dimming to medium, though it does make the picture overall brighter, because it defeats the purpose of buying the TV in the first place for me. I have to have those nice blacks.
post #1303 of 1472 Old 12-07-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
After updating to 9.2 (maybe coincidence but that's all that's changed) when playing ps4 there is crazy lag. Toggling game mode gets it back to normal. One time I toggled game mode off then back on and the image had a Red filter on it. I had to restart the TV through settings and it fixed it. Anybody else have this?
post #1304 of 1472 Old 12-07-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Jorgensen View Post
I bought this from Best Buy a few days ago and I like the TV a lot, but there is one thing that is bothering me. I noticed right away if I have Local Dimming on at all during playback of HDR content (ie: Low, Medium, High) when the picture transitions from one shot that requires a different dimming level compared to another I get this "flicker" or "burst" effect for a split second. It's almost like the dimming areas brighten up for a split second and causes it to flicker. I noticed this when I watched Avengers: Endgame in the final battle scene a lot.

I don't want to turn Local Dimming off because it makes the picture and levels look so much better to me and I get more detail with it on "Low"

I've been playing Red Dead Redemption II in HDR through Chromecast (Stadia) and I get it too, but it's notice nearly as noticable, it's more like a transition versus a flicker.

Does anyone else get this issue?

Yup. By chance are you using "bright" HDR mode? That's when it happens for me. It's absolutely broken and I can not stand it. It's like a split second strobe light between scene transitions. I tried explaining it a few posts ago as one of my frustrations with it haha. I REALLY hope TCL can fix it via a firmware update. I'm glad to see other people having a problem with it.
YES! I did testing today with all the different settings watching the same scene over and over with different settings and I found out that the setting that's affecting the strobe or flickering issue is Bright HDR. If you set that setting to normal or dark it doesn't strobe. Which kind of sucks because bright HDR shows so much detail and HDR movies just pop off the screen but the strobe effect is bothering me when the scenes change from a light scene to a dark scene. Does not matter if local dimming on or off either.
post #1305 of 1472 Old 12-07-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Octane View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Jorgensen View Post
I bought this from Best Buy a few days ago and I like the TV a lot, but there is one thing that is bothering me. I noticed right away if I have Local Dimming on at all during playback of HDR content (ie: Low, Medium, High) when the picture transitions from one shot that requires a different dimming level compared to another I get this "flicker" or "burst" effect for a split second. It's almost like the dimming areas brighten up for a split second and causes it to flicker. I noticed this when I watched Avengers: Endgame in the final battle scene a lot.

I don't want to turn Local Dimming off because it makes the picture and levels look so much better to me and I get more detail with it on "Low"

I've been playing Red Dead Redemption II in HDR through Chromecast (Stadia) and I get it too, but it's notice nearly as noticable, it's more like a transition versus a flicker.

Does anyone else get this issue?

Yup. By chance are you using "bright" HDR mode? That's when it happens for me. It's absolutely broken and I can not stand it. It's like a split second strobe light between scene transitions. I tried explaining it a few posts ago as one of my frustrations with it haha. I REALLY hope TCL can fix it via a firmware update. I'm glad to see other people having a problem with it.
I have the exact same problem with my unit. Agreed that it seems to be a firmware issue because the flickering only happens with the "bright HDR" mode for me as well. As long as I am on "normal HDR" or "dark HDR" I have no issues. As much as this sucks, I am at least a little bit glad that others are having the same issue, so hopefully TCL will address the issue in a future update because I do like the brighter image during the day.
I can confirm its bright HDR. I think I just watched the same scene and end game 20 or 30 times with a bunch of different settings and the only thing that's affecting it is bright HDR. Doesn't matter if local dimming or dynamic contrast is on or off. Is there a support feedback we can contact?
neightdog likes this.
post #1306 of 1472 Old 12-08-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I've heard the reports on that, but... how come certain movies looked so great on my 5 series? Captain Marvel for instance, looked really good on the 5, I saw more detail, color, it was bright and clear. I know how that movie should look, and on my 6 it's pretty miserable haha. Even the original Star Wars movies looked really good to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocre View Post

I do roll on HDR Normal most times. I can't do Bright because it's broken. There's backlight fluctuations in "Bright" and it can't keep up with scene transitions. I would use HDR Bright with compensated settings if it wasn't so damn glitchy and unsightly. I do roll with warm temp and all motion settings off (except Natural cinema for movies) as well. Anything else is totally off base with this TV.

I can't keep the local dimming to medium, though it does make the picture overall brighter, because it defeats the purpose of buying the TV in the first place for me. I have to have those nice blacks.
My old P605 came down and my new 65R625 went right in the same spot. Soon as I hooked it up, I thought it looked good, right off the bat. I naturally started off with settings set up like I had on my P- series. Using the Dark HDR settings it was only marginally brighter, thought it was an okay improvement
after I warched some HDR content that displayed decently on my old TV. This was bright content that looked good on my P series, the improvement in Dark HDR was okay, for sure brighter but it looked good on my old TV anyway.
Then I tried some content that was dim on my old TV. And although the P series does alright on spectacular content, I had plenty of HDR stuff that was too dark and just didn't look good. So that's when it really made a difference, content that was too dark and I couldn't stand to watch in HDR on my old TV, it actually popped and looked decent on the R625 using HDR Dark mode. But still, I was keeping things set similar to the old TV, the settings that looked the best, what got the most out of my P series.
I kept messing around with the new TV, like I do with everything I get, and got some really impressive results. The Normal HDR with warm color tone just took things to a whole new level. I was still testing with HDR content I couldn't even watch on my old TV cause it was way too dim. Watching a few hours, I was just happy I finally was able to see and enjoy it.
Then, leaving the settings like they were (similar to what I suggested), we put some stellar content on. Some bright high quality HDR/Dolby Vision stuff (marvel Spiderman movies, shazam, Battle Angel, etc) and oh boy what a surprise.
The difference was truly amazing. Probably cause I wasn't expecting anywhere near such a jump. I already knew the 6 series was supposed to be brighter but I did not expect the dramatic difference I was seeing the contrast, brightnes and color pop where dramatic and intense. A big difference to me.

As for your case, idk, that doesn't seem right. Don't know what model you had or if all the P series were the same but you should be able to find info on the HDR brightness capabilities across the spectrum to compare to the numbers for the
R625 reviews out. Seems to be a big difference in my 55P605 vs 65R625. I got more of a bump than I was expecting. I knew the new 6 series was gonna be a step up but honestly i just wanted to replace my 55" with something bigger. A little brighter would have been just a plus but it turned out a lot better for me, stunning with huge pop.

I am not sure if you can take yours back or not, something may be wrong with it.

Now I can't wait to compare them. So I plan on hooking up my old TV tomorrow. Got to pull the Samsung currently in my bedroom so I can hang the P605 up. I for sure know the difference was big but I look forward to being able to go back and forth between them.
post #1307 of 1472 Old 12-08-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, https://support.tclusa.com/contact-us?contact_query=Please%20enter%20your%20question
post #1308 of 1472 Old 12-08-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just got this tv last week after my baby of 13 years, Samsung LN52a650, started acting up. I also downloaded 9.2 firmware last night.

Couple of questions

Sometimes this tv seems o have a magenta/pinkish hue/tint? I noticed it in the sky when playing Battlefield V and the Mandolorian.

After the update I have to keep switching back and forth between game mode on and off to get the input lag right. I didn't have to do that before, I would just leave it "on" and it would work. Also now switching from game mode on or off (which I now have to do) turns the entire screen orange. I have to keep going back and forth with the option until the screen isn't orange and game mode is "on". Anyone else have this problem?

Seems that the "Warm" Setting can sometimes make peoples skin look too tanned. Like they've been bathing in Florida sun their whole life. When watching the Irishman some of the warm scenes seem TOO warm?

I see some flash lighting in 2 corners. Not crazy bad but I can't stop looking for it lol. Do any of you have this?

Comments/Observations

HDR Dark, Normal, and Bright seem to be more contrast settings than overall light settings with Bright having the most contrast and dark mode having the least.

With that said I've been playing with Bright mode most recently and really like it so far. Here are my settings if interested.

Tv Brightness: Dark/Normal
Picture Size: Auto
Picture Mode: Bright

Picture Settings
Local Contrast: High
Backlight: 100
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: Warm
Natural Cinema: on
LED Motion Clarity: off

Last edited by 64deuce; 12-08-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #1309 of 1472 Old 12-08-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64deuce View Post
Just got this tv last week after my baby of 13 years, Samsung LN52a650, started acting up. I also downloaded 9.2 firmware last night.

Couple of questions

Sometimes this tv seems o have a magenta hue/tint? I noticed it in the sky when playing Battlefield V and the Mandolorian.

After the update switching from game mode on or off turns the entire screen orange. Anyone else have this problem?

Seems that the "Warm" Setting can sometimes make peoples skin look too tanned. Like they've been bathing in Florida sun their whole life. When watching the Irishman some of the warm scenes seem TOO warm?

I see some flash lighting in 2 corners. Not crazy bad but I can't stop looking for it lol. Do any of you have this?

Comments/Observations

HDR Dark, Normal, and Bright seem to be more contrast settings than overall light settings with Bright having the most contrast and dark mode having the least.

With that said I've been playing with Bright mode most recently and really like it so far. Here are my settings if interested.

Tv Brightness: Normal

Picture Settings

Dolby Vision bright jacks up the saturation. That’s why it looks unnatural. Put it on Dolby vision dark then out the tv brightness in bright or brighter.
post #1310 of 1472 Old 12-08-2019, 01:11 PM

2019 TCL 6-Series QLED R625 (55" & 65") Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:

Couple of questions

Sometimes this tv seems o have a magenta/pinkish hue/tint? I noticed it in the sky when playing Battlefield V and the Mandolorian.

After the update switching from game mode on or off turns the entire screen orange. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments/Observations

Tv Brightness: Normal

Picture Settings

Dolby Vision bright jacks up the saturation. That’s why it looks unnatural. Put it on Dolby vision dark then out the tv brightness in bright or brighter.

Think of HDR bright and Dolby Vision bright as “Vivid mode”. Just overcranked and not accurate.

Last edited by Jesse Coane; 12-08-2019 at 05:30 PM.
post #1311 of 1472 Old 12-08-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Couple of questions

After the update I have to keep switching back and forth between game mode on and off to get the input lag right. I didn't have to do that before, I would just leave it "on" and it would work. Also now switching from game mode on or off (which I now have to do) turns the entire screen orange. I have to keep going back and forth with the option until the screen isn't orange and game mode is "on". Anyone else have this problem?

Comments/Observations

Tv Brightness: Dark/Normal

Picture Settings
I have had the same issue regarding game mode. Exactly the same issue. Only happened after the update. Hopefully this is something that will get resolved in future updates. As for the light flashing I haven't experienced that. I usually use dark hdr and dark Dolby.

All hdr content settings

Brighter
Local dimming Medium
Backlight 100
Brightness 49
Contrast 100
Sharpness 20
Color 65
Tint 0
Warm
Cinema on
Game mode on (for games off for movies)

Gamma 2.2
Color space native
post #1312 of 1472 Old 12-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Think of HDR bright and Dolby Vision bright as “Vivid mode”. Just overcranked and not accurate.

Makes sense. I turn the dolor down to 45 and I think it looks more accurate but still saturated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrdtakn View Post
I have had the same issue regarding game mode. Exactly the same issue. Only happened after the update. Hopefully this is something that will get resolved in future updates. As for the light flashing I haven't experienced that. I usually use dark hdr and dark Dolby.

All hdr content settings

Brighter
Local dimming Medium
Backlight 100
Brightness 49
Contrast 100
Sharpness 20
Color 65
Tint 0
Warm
Cinema on

Gamma 2.2
Color space native

Not light flashing but "flashlighting" my bad. How do you adjust gamma?
post #1313 of 1472 Old 12-08-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Dolby Vision bright jacks up the saturation. That’️s why it looks unnatural. Put it on Dolby vision dark then out the tv brightness in bright or brighter.

Makes sense. I turn the dolor down to 45 and I think it looks more accurate but still saturated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrdtakn View Post

All hdr content settings

Brighter
Local dimming Medium
Backlight 100
Brightness 49
Contrast 100
Sharpness 20
Color 65
Tint 0
Warm
Cinema on

Gamma 2.2
Color space native

Not light flashing but "flashlighting" my bad. How do you adjust gamma?

You can use the roku app to get to expert picture settings. However on some Android phones there's a bug where you have to use an old build of the app. I'm currently using 4.2.8.3 if you use a new build the expert settings don't work right. Unless this has been fixed recently.
post #1314 of 1472 Old 12-08-2019, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does anyone else have input lag issues with a soundbar connected? It makes games unplayable.

Edit: Reseating the HDMI cable in the ARC port fixed it. Now I just have audio lag. Oddly enough, changing the S/PDIF and ARC to PCM-Stereo, and then back to Dolby Digital, DTS fixed it momentarily. After switching inputs and switching back, the audio lag returned.

Edit: Input lag is back

Last edited by Dlincoln311; 12-08-2019 at 11:36 PM.
post #1315 of 1472 Old 12-09-2019, 08:40 AM

9.2 and Game mode

Quote:
I would echo the above posts that the 9.2 update seems to have broken game mode. Switching to PS4 after streaming from a Roku app will show game mode enable but with obvious significant lag. Turning game mode off then on again fixes the lag but turns everything pink. Restarting the TV and PS4 fixes things temporarily.
post #1316 of 1472 Old 12-09-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Has anyone figured out if you can disable auto updates? They really seem to be going more harm than good.
theboomr likes this.

TCL 65R625 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
post #1317 of 1472 Old 12-09-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlincoln311 View Post
Does anyone else have input lag issues with a soundbar connected? It makes games unplayable.

Edit: Reseating the HDMI cable in the ARC port fixed it. Now I just have audio lag. Oddly enough, changing the S/PDIF and ARC to PCM-Stereo, and then back to Dolby Digital, DTS fixed it momentarily. After switching inputs and switching back, the audio lag returned.

Edit: Input lag is back
Ironically, I get the audio lag but after going back and forth between the hdmi input and OS a few times it straightens itself out.
post #1318 of 1472 Old 12-09-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zvonimir Koscica View Post
Ironically, I get the audio lag but after going back and forth between the hdmi input and OS a few times it straightens itself out.
Good to know. I’ve been unplugging the TV and not going to the home screen to avoid the issue.
post #1319 of 1472 Old 12-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have noticed an increase in picture performance since the last update to 9.2, mostly in regards to motion blur. Non-video game use - movies, sports, etc. Using the internal Roku system.
post #1320 of 1472 Old 12-10-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
Yes, they do some sort of staggering in pushing out updates.
I only recently saw that I had updated to 9.2 well after others in these forums indicated that they had already received the 9.2 update and in that interim I was showing as having the latest update when I checked for it.
I had been stuck on 9.1.2 Build: 6471 since Nov. 23rd. I just checked a few minutes ago and was able to update to 9.2.2 Build 6100. One curious thing I have noticed with both builds is that I seem to have lost the ability to adjust Sharpness in the Picture settings at some point. It is grayed out and unchangeable. I am fairly certain I was able to change it before, but it was usually already at 20. I notice on some presets it is now sometimes at 40, but grayed out. I don't notice any jarring difference between 20 and 40 so I don't really care about being unable to change it, I am just wondering if I am going crazy or if I changed some setting that locked the Sharpness setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page