Best unscientific comparison of 4k to 8k - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 161Likes

post #31 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2839 Post(s)
Liked: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
If the question is if an 8k TV is sharper than a 4k or 1080p set, then sure it is. if the question is if we can see the difference at out normal seating distance, the answer becomes more cloudy. The biggest reason for a lot of these advancements is for the manufacturer to sell us the latest and greatest technology. There is a lot more to a good picture than just pure resolution. It is the same game they played on digital cameras. More megapixels did not necessarily give you a better image. Chip size was much more important.
I completely agree.

My attempts of freeing the Matrix slaved minds in this thread has been... yawn...

Last edited by skschatzman; 09-26-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
The only way you will not see a difference between 1080p and 4k or between 4k and 8k is if your eyesight is poor. I can be put in front of 3 unmarked TVs (1080p, 4k, & 8k) and will be able to identify which is which 100% of the time with ease.

I do believe HDR is more important than resolution though.

The YouTube video is invalid as they are comparing OLED vs QLED. Completely different panel technologies. The infinite contrast ratio on the OLED is skewing the resolution perception. They should be comparing a 4k QLED vs an 8k QLED or a 4k OLED vs an 8K OLED.

The resolution argument is just as bogus as the people who claimed humans can't see the difference between 60hz/fps and 120hz/fps because human eyes don't see in hz/fps.

Just stop it because what you are saying is simply not true I have very good eye sight and a good eye for picture and when 4k first came out I could not see a different between it and 1080p from a normal viewing distance. It was not until HDR came out that I could see a difference and I upgraded to 4k now the same thing is happening with 8k. For you to come on here and accuse people of having poor eye sight is ridiculous and irresponsible of you.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #33 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Talking

Quote:
I plainly see your attempts to side rail the definition. The use of force and the use of deadly force are not the same thing. Pointing a gun at someone's head is the use of force. No doubt. It is not the use of "DEADLY force". A very distinguishable difference.

Please continue digging yourself a hole. Your almost at the core.

It is more complex than you seem to think it is. That's ok. Intelligence has many unending levels. You can improve yours, but it will take self discipline.

"Not too many years ago every television was 1080p...."
Lol
Please give me an example of a single date you believe this is true. I will gladly give you proof it is not.

It proves nothing without the scientific data to show it. If the source is not being displayed correctly on the TV, then there is no way to conclude that "normal people" can't correctly identify 4k vs 8k in a blind test. That's the problem. You aren't taking the video at face value. You actually believe that all variables were covered without any actual scientific data to back it up.

This is text book blind ignorance.

8k televisions are legitimate. I have seen them first hand in a proper scientific method when compared to an equal panel technology. You may not believe it, but facts don't care about beliefs. It's going to happen and no amount of pointless pouting and tantrums is going to change that.

What is the sacrifice?

Also pointing out you still haven't answered why you believe 8k is less efficient.

This is almost comical! Yes we will soon be forced to buy 8k! Deal with it! Does the word force offend you? Do you think your currently on a battle field? Do you want alternate semantics!! Do i need to conform to your standards? Shall i say there are only 8K televisions on the market therefore I only have the choice of purchasing an 8k television? You can cry and scream all you want we are being forced homey!!!!!

I wont give you the date every single television on the face of the earth was only 1080p! Man you are a sharp one! Please go and take some time and provide documentation proving me wrong! You are so on top of things! When I said all televisions were 1080p now all televisions are 4k I absolutely meant every single television on the face of the earth. In fact there were 1080p television burning rituals celebrating our liberation from such poor resolution!

Can you teach me how to watch television in a scientifically proper manner? I would like to learn these facts that just don't care about my feelings! When I receive your enlightenment perhaps I can accurately identify unmarked televisions with ease! I will shoot grenades through the inferior 4ks!
Cam1977 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
Just stop it because what you are saying is simply not true I have very good eye sight and a good eye for picture and when 4k first came out I could not see a different between it and 1080p from a normal viewing distance. It was not until HDR came out that I could see a difference and I upgraded to 4k now the same thing is happening with 8k. For you to come on here and accuse people of having poor eye sight is ridiculous and irresponsible of you.
Your words are meaningless as I have blind tested 4k and 1080p side by side at over a 15 foot distance multiple times and correctly identified each display. Thousands of others have also performed these tests. It is common knowledge that humans can see a difference. Now this doesn't mean all humans can as that will depend on your level of vision. Not all humans have the same level of vision. You claim you have excellent vision, but claim to not see a difference between 1080p and 4k. Your eyes may not be as good as you think they are. Facts are facts. Bye Felicia.
post #35 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
If you want to buy a TV you will be limited to the options available.

Forced implies you do not have an option. You can choose to buy or choose not to buy. That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer...

Apologies I got side tracked.

When PURCHASING a TV (which is to say the choice between buying and not buying has already been made, and buying a new TV is the choice) and only 8K is available with no other options, it is indeed being forced, using your exact definition of not having an option. 1 choice = no choice, no other option, you are being forced.

Sorry, I'm having a difficult time understanding how you see the only choice as buy or not buy. Once someone decides not to buy, the choice is made, its the end. When a choice is made to buy, there are more choices to be made. At any point if you run out of options, but still need to buy, it is being forced. The lack of choice, be it 1080p vs 4K or 4K vs 8K is being imposed (imposed being a synonym for forced) on you by the TV manufacturers.

Well, this has been almost entertaining but I'm done with this topic.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #36 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite9099 View Post
When PURCHASING a TV (which is to say the choice between buying and not buying has already been made, and buying a new TV is the choice) and only 8K is available with no other options, it is indeed being forced, using your exact definition of not having an option. 1 choice = no choice, no other option, you are being forced.

Sorry, I'm having a difficult time understanding how you see the only choice as buy or not buy. Once someone decides not to buy, the choice is made, its the end. When a choice is made to buy, there are more choices to be made. At any point if you run out of options, but still need to buy, it is being forced. The lack of choice, be it 1080p vs 4K or 4K vs 8K is being imposed (imposed being a synonym for forced) on you by the TV manufacturers.

Well, this has been almost entertaining but I'm done with this topic.
Your use of the word forced is grammatically incorrect. If you are decided on buying a TV and the only options available are 8k TVs, then you are limited. Just because you are decided on buying a TV does not mean the purchase was forced. Even if the options are limited to 8k.

If you are forced to do anything then that implies it was against your will. If you buy a TV willingly, then there is no force.
post #37 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Your use of the word forced is grammatically incorrect. If you are decided on buying a TV and the only options available are 8k TVs, then you are limited. Just because you are decided on buying a TV does not mean the purchase was forced. Even if the options are limited to 8k.

If you are forced to do anything then that implies it was against your will. If you buy a TV willingly, then there is no force.
Actually, you are restricted.
post #38 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfster View Post
Actually, you are restricted.
Synonymous words.
post #39 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I completely agree.

My attempts of freeing the Matrix slaved minds in this thread has been... yawn...

OH Milk man of society free our enslaved minds!

Quote:

Thank you for clearing this up! We obviously couldn't continue this conversation without your clarity! I once learned what you've taught us here on sesame street!
Cam1977 likes this.
post #40 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD8118 View Post
OH Milk man of society free our enslaved minds!

Thank you for clearing this up! We obviously couldn't continue this conversation without your clarity! I once learned what you've taught us here on sesame street!
Jim Henson was a genius. The show aided in many children to grow up into smart, educated, successful and productive members of society.

So what happened to you?
post #41 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Jim Henson was a genius. The show aided in many children to grow up into smart, educated, successful and productive members of society.

So what happened to you?

I watched the schatzman version of the muppets!
MCaugusto and p3trol_h3ad like this.
post #42 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I watched the schatzman version of the muppets!
I give that comment a 0/10 on the sting-o-meter.

Creativity is not your strong point either. Do you have any valuable skills?
post #43 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I give that comment a 0/10 on the sting-o-meter.

Creativity is not your strong point either. Do you have any valuable skills?

I kinda feel bad now!

At first this thread went from Wow this cant be real life to a big joke! Then I saw his replies and I realized this is very real to him!

He's a "special" person and I should not have disturbed his high definition life!

Be good my friend! I'm serious, your alright!
MCaugusto and Cam1977 like this.
post #44 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I kinda feel bad now!

At first this thread went from Wow this cant be real life to a big joke! Then I saw his replies and I realized this is very real to him!

He's a "special" person and I should not have disturbed his high definition life!

It takes a big sack to admit you aren't special. Are you content with living a life of mediocrity? I hope you find your true calling. Good luck.

Last edited by skschatzman; 09-26-2019 at 08:45 PM.
post #45 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3067 Post(s)
Liked: 3788
Quote:
Do you always get this flustered when you are wrong? I feel sorry for your wife and kids if you have any.

I don't see anything in your post that helps your cause.
Making this personal is out of line, from one Vet to another, you are quite a knowledgeable member and should use your skills to help educate not insult. Not everyone can tell the difference between 4k and 8k...and me with 20/20 fall into that category.
post #46 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I kinda feel bad now!

At this point, you should probably use the ignore feature.
post #47 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Making this personal is out of line, from one Vet to another, you are quite a knowledgeable member and should use your skills to help educate not insult. Not everyone can tell the difference between 4k and 8k...and me with 20/20 fall into that category.
I don't take anything personal. The military instilled that in me. However I don't have any issues putting someone in their place when they carelessly spread false information.

The OP made a claim that 8k is pointless as nobody will see the difference. I corrected him, but never stated that everyone will. I even stated that not all humans see things in the same clarity, so I am well aware of that.

The only way we can combat ignorance is by presenting facts. I'm confident if your vision is that clear then you should be able to see the difference of detail with proper 8k content on a proper 8k panel vs 4k at a normal viewing distance. It may not be as drastic than going from 1080p to 4k, but it is still visible.

Even if you can't see the difference, I don't see a point in making a big deal out of it. The people who can see the difference will benefit from it without any downsides for those that can't. This is a very silly thing to create a witch hunt for. There are no downsides that have been identified at this moment.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited by skschatzman; 09-26-2019 at 09:36 PM.
post #48 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^well it doesnt seem that way at all. This is a forum and while I've been spicy myself I dont feel the need to put people in their place, that ain't your job. Offer an opinion and if you dont like it find a way to discuss your opinion without making it personal post 45 and 46 are good examples.

You cannot speak for me in regards to My vision...I dont see the difference between the two...some can and I wont dispute that because logically speaking their not my eyes. Folks have opinions all the time it's no big deal, 4k, 8k whatever...I'm all about technology, but we dont even have a full suite of 4k channels on cable, why should we even care about 8k right now...see what I offered their was an opinion.

Thank you for your service as well.
post #49 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^well it doesnt seem that way at all. This is a forum and while I've been spicy myself I dont feel the need to put people in their place, that ain't your job. Offer an opinion and if you dont like it find a way to discuss your opinion without making it personal post 45 and 46 are good examples.

You cannot speak for me in regards to My vision...I dont see the difference between the two...some can and I wont dispute that because logically speaking their not my eyes. Folks have opinions all the time it's no big deal, 4k, 8k whatever...I'm all about technology, but we dont even have a full suite of 4k channels on cable, why should we even care about 8k right now...see what I offered their was an opinion.

Thank you for your service as well.
I never claimed it was my job. I do it out of my own will. I choose to discredit falsities. As a contributor to knowledge and facts, I don't like seeing the perpetual ignorance being spread to other knowledge seekers.

There are a lot of things I am unknowledgeable and ignorant about, but I do the proper research before I decide to pass that information instead of making it up as I go.

Like I said I don't take things personal. If someone takes what I say personal then they need to do a lot of personal help. Being offended is a personal problem.

I never spoke for your eyes. I said I am confident that if your vision is as good as you say it is, then you should be able to see the differences. There is some decent 8k footage that visibly showcases the differences.

Last edited by skschatzman; 09-26-2019 at 09:48 PM.
post #50 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknite9099 View Post
Sure they might have 1-2 720p models. 1 in 12" and 1 in 19" And sure, there are 4 1080p models again in the smaller sizes. Get above 32" and we are all 4K. When you are ready to buy a TV only 1 choice = no choice.
I vaguely remember that such might have to do where most factories create and use 4K tech and 1080p/720p will eventually be more expensive as the latter will be on fewer factories.

Don't care much about 4K and I do wonder how much of its development could've just been used to focus on other aspects such as reflection, uniformity, color, viewing angles, etc.

Maybe the 4K tech doesn't even cost much compared to the other factors to improve upon.

I would happily lose 4K, HDR and Smart functionality if it meant a cheaper set with great motion handling, uniformity, viewing angles and reflection but tv buying isn't that kind of a la carte.

We tried two popular budget models last year and ended up going back to our old IPS tv with matte type screen since it had better uniformity, viewing angles and reflection but very bad input lag. I cannot believe how much distracting reflections are even with a quite bright X900F compared to our old dimmer IPS tv in our very limited viewing environment.
post #51 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^cool...you know for someone who claims to not make it personal, you sure do it yourself...love the irony. I was 11B so thick skin is in my nature, but hey bro keep doin what your doin...youve certainly lost my respect on my here.
A lot of people in this thread say I say things I never said.

I said I don't take things personal.

Make and take are different words with different meanings

Making said things personal is a personal problem. It is not the problem of the person who said the things.

Last edited by skschatzman; 09-26-2019 at 09:57 PM.
post #52 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^spin it the way you want to bro... reread post 45 and 46 and then get back with me on making it personal

Putting people down, or making statements about family members is a low blow...if you cant see that then you sir need a course on etiquette. You could have just respectfully disagreed...but you didnt whether you choosw to see it or not is on you.

I see you deleted or edited your post on his wife and kids...good one, but I did notice.

Last edited by Cam1977; 09-26-2019 at 10:02 PM.
post #53 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^spin it the way you want to bro... reread post 45 and 46 and then get back with me on making it personal

Putting people down, or making statements about family members is a low blow...if you cant see that then you sir need a course on etiquette. You could have just respectfully disagreed...but you didnt whether you choosw to see it or not is on you.

I see you deleted or edited your post on his wife and kids...good one, but I did notice.
I choose to live by my own rules. Not the rules of what other people think I should abide by. I'm not a conformist. I make my own path. You can believe whatever you want to believe. It doesn't change a thing for me.
post #54 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^cool story bro
bimmaguy and anjunadeep like this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 09-26-2019 at 10:39 PM.
post #55 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Lightbulb

It doesn't take a scientist to see the difference:

KKKK

versus

KKKKKKKK
Cam1977 likes this.
post #56 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I choose to live by my own rules. Not the rules of what other people think I should abide by. I'm not a conformist. I make my own path. You can believe whatever you want to believe. It doesn't change a thing for me.
What branch of the Armed Forces did you serve in?
post #57 of 261 Old 09-26-2019, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post
What branch of the Armed Forces did you serve in?
Marine Corps
post #58 of 261 Old 09-27-2019, 12:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Some peoples' heads are going to explode when an LCD manufacturer announces consumer 16k by 2025.
Cam1977 likes this.

post #59 of 261 Old 09-27-2019, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
Some peoples' heads are going to explode when an LCD manufacturer announces consumer 16k by 2025.
Or what's gonna happen if someone says...16k will be "forced" on us...wait...we are not aloud to say that
post #60 of 261 Old 09-27-2019, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
Yup. Micro-LED will be the next defining tech. The pixels are so small that no human will be able to notice them even at a close distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page