Sony XBR85X950G black level?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sony XBR85X950G black level??

Living in northern Michigan and only dealer with product to show is BestBuy. 200 miles to a Magnolia.
Considering the 85” 950G vs 77” OLEDs.
Currently using older Samsung plasma and the “blacks” that are more light gray drive me crazy. At BB they only run the demo loops from Sony or LG on their TVs and never put up anything like what I would see playing movies with the black bars top and bottom. Need to rely on you for advice please. I read comments praising the blacks on the 950G and reviews really criticizing the black levels. So how do the black bars and black levels on the 950G seem to you? Are the blacks noticeably different than the bezel? Do you notice it much or enough to bother you?
I know I can go with the OLED and avoid this issue but would really prefer the 85” screen over a 77”.
Thanks all.
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 902
The actual black levels are good, deep, and inky since the backlight and algorithm are good. The issues pop up when there's some small bright areas next or mixed with really dark areas...in the form of halos due to the limited number of dimming zones. Sony prefers to maintain correct picture Brightness and therefore might show more blooming while Samsung dims the picture to show less blooming.

It's not as bad as videophiles on forums make it out to be, and in general you will be really happy with 85".

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #3 of 4 Old 10-09-2019, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If black levels are important to you get the 77 oled its a no brainer the sony 950g black levels are not as deep and it has blooming which can be very distracting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-09-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Living in northern Michigan and only dealer with product to show is BestBuy. 200 miles to a Magnolia.
Considering the 85” 950G vs 77” OLEDs.
Currently using older Samsung plasma and the “blacks” that are more light gray drive me crazy. At BB they only run the demo loops from Sony or LG on their TVs and never put up anything like what I would see playing movies with the black bars top and bottom. Need to rely on you for advice please. I read comments praising the blacks on the 950G and reviews really criticizing the black levels. So how do the black bars and black levels on the 950G seem to you? Are the blacks noticeably different than the bezel? Do you notice it much or enough to bother you?
I know I can go with the OLED and avoid this issue but would really prefer the 85” screen over a 77”.
Thanks all.
Pete
First, 85" is quite a bit larger than 77". So if you want 85" I can't see you going down to 77".

Second, they 950G at 85" has the Wide Angle Layer which drops the contrast significantly. See if you can find an 85" 900F which performs very similar to the 950G but does not have the Wide Angle Layer and therefore has a much greater contrast ratio for deeper blacks. Best Buy has the 85" 900F for just $3K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page