Please help me narrow it down! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jiteshg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help me narrow it down!

Hello, I am looking for a new 65 inch TV under $1000 for my living room which gets a lot of daylight. I am considering the following Samsung, LG and Sony TVs, which one should I get?

- Samsung - 65" Class - LED - Q60 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Model:QN65Q60RAFXZA

- Samsung - 65" Class - LED - 8 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Model:UN65RU8000FXZA

- LG - 65" Class - LED - Nano 8 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Model:65SM8600PUA

- Sony - 65" Class - LED - X800G Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Model:XBR-65X800G

- LG - 65" Class - LED - UM7300PUA Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Model:65UM7300PUA

- Samsung - 65" Class - LED - 7 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Model:UN65RU7100FXZA

Last edited by jiteshg; 11-06-2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Including budget
jiteshg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
None of these. The are all edge lit, and will not have the picture quality. Look at the Sony X900F, or Samsung Q70R. Now days, LG is only good for OLED. The NANO sets have a ton of blooming, bad upscaling, poor processor, bad motion, and the list goes on. Save up a little longer and hold off until Black Friday. You will thank me later.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ryan.carlson82 is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jiteshg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I should have mentioned, my budget is $1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.carlson82 View Post
None of these. The are all edge lit, and will not have the picture quality. Look at the Sony X900F, or Samsung Q70R. Now days, LG is only good for OLED. The NANO sets have a ton of blooming, bad upscaling, poor processor, bad motion, and the list goes on. Save up a little longer and hold off until Black Friday. You will thank me later.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
jiteshg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiteshg View Post
I should have mentioned, my budget is $1000.
The X900F can be had for $1100, and is back lit and has full array local diming. It's well worth the little bit extra.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ryan.carlson82 is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 04:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Dont be afraid to look at the TCL 5 and 6 Series for a 65" either. The TCL 6 Series in 65" is about $700 or so, and it's a beast for what you get. Pair that with their sound bar, and you are at $1000 for what I have almost $4500 to get in my Samsung.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ryan.carlson82 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 41
None of them, and I own the RU8000 but you said you get a lot of daylight and I don't. You should look at this set.



https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...ries-r625-2019
Diocletian is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jiteshg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is it different than what I listed already? - UN65RU8000FXZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
None of them, and I own the RU8000 but you said you get a lot of daylight and I don't. You should look at this set.



https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tc...ries-r625-2019
jiteshg is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiteshg View Post
How is it different than what I listed already? - UN65RU8000FXZA
TCL 6 series is back lit with full array local diming. The Samsung RU8000 is an edge lit with no local diming at all. Colors are not going to look very good on the RU8000, especially on a 55"+ screen. Once you get over 55", you want to stay away from edge lit.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ryan.carlson82 is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
zeekle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: nashville tn
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I agree with the heard none of these. The TCL 6 series Vizio Pseries quantum/X or that sony 900F if you can find it in your budget.



If you can hold on deals are coming.
zeekle is online now  
post #10 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
tysonmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Honestly, if I was you I would get the TCL 65" 6 Series (613-Costco, 615-Best Buy, 617-Amazon). It's a lot of TV for the money.

- Sony XBR-75x940E / XBR-55x950G
- Oppo UDP-203 / Sony UBP-X700 / AppleTV4K
- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3

tysonmax is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 08:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
Honestly, if I was you I would get the TCL 65" 6 Series (613-Costco, 615-Best Buy, 617-Amazon). It's a lot of TV for the money.
The 615 and 617 are the same, but the 617 has a voice operated remote. The others do not. That's the only difference. I would look to the TCL 65R625, the 2019 model, they are the same across the board, and run about $800. Comes with voice operated remote. A ton of TV for the money.

And again, Black Friday is coming. Things will get crazy cheap. Take a look at the Target ad that's already up. I think the Cosco ad is also out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ryan.carlson82 is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 08:35 PM
Senior Member
 
tysonmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.carlson82 View Post
The 615 and 617 are the same, but the 617 has a voice operated remote. The others do not. That's the only difference. I would look to the TCL 65R625, the 2019 model, they are the same across the board, and run about $800. Comes with voice operated remote. A ton of TV for the money.

And again, Black Friday is coming. Things will get crazy cheap. Take a look at the Target ad that's already up. I think the Cosco ad is also out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Looks like Costco will be selling the 2018 65r613 for $599 during their Black Friday sales. Tough to pass that up.

- Sony XBR-75x940E / XBR-55x950G
- Oppo UDP-203 / Sony UBP-X700 / AppleTV4K
- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3

tysonmax is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
Looks like Costco will be selling the 2018 65r613 for $599 during their Black Friday sales. Tough to pass that up.
There you go. Then add a good soundbar set up, and still have some money left over with a $1000 budget.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ryan.carlson82 is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 11-06-2019, 11:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
And the Sony X900F is $1099 at Best Buy right now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ryan.carlson82 is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 02:30 AM
Member
 
cindyh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.carlson82 View Post
And the Sony X900F is $1099 at Best Buy right now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thanks. I've had the same question as OP. I was looking at the Vizio PX quantum but then I read some bad things about it. I have more budget. I keep reading the Sony 900 and 950 series are wonderful. May I ask if you know the differences

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
cindyh is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 05:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.carlson82 View Post
The Samsung RU8000 is an edge lit with no local diming at all. Colors are not going to look very good on the RU8000, especially on a 55"+ screen.
I'm going to have to disagree with that. The RU8000 is quite color accurate. The actual problem is that the RU8000 is not bright enough for a room with a lot of sunlight. That doesn't affect me because the room I have mine in gets very little sun, so it works fine for me.


He needs the brightest set possible for the lowest amount of money and that's probably the TCL 625 or Hisense H9F. Sony X900F if he wants to push his budget.
Diocletian is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jiteshg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all for the feedback. The reason I want to get a Tier 1 brand such as Samsung, Sony, LG is because I have a Vizio from 2011 which stopped working last month. I don't want this to happen again with a Tier 2 brand such as Vizio or TCL.
jiteshg is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 11-07-2019, 09:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiteshg View Post
Thank you all for the feedback. The reason I want to get a Tier 1 brand such as Samsung, Sony, LG is because I have a Vizio from 2011 which stopped working last month. I don't want this to happen again with a Tier 2 brand such as Vizio or TCL.
That's a decent lifespan out of a modern LED TV. Figure if you get five years, it's been a good investment.

And the reason I do not care for the RU8000 is for the fact that it has no local diming. That's very important. The NU8000 from last year had local diming and better color, and was just better all around. They kind of blew it this year on the lower end stuff. I would save some money at that point and get an RU7100, because it's more or less the same thing, but has a 60hz panel instead of a 120hz panel.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
ryan.carlson82 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 11-30-2019, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jiteshg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought the Sony X900F black friday price.

Thank you ryan.carlson82 and others as well!
jiteshg is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 12-01-2019, 12:26 AM
Senior Member
 
355F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiteshg View Post
Bought the Sony X900F black friday price.

Thank you ryan.carlson82 and others as well!
Hoping this will drop to $2500 super bowl week so I can buy it! LoL

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
355F1 is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 12-01-2019, 07:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Rysa_105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 146
X900F has noticable blooming, it's only for people who value size and not picture quality.
Rysa_105 is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 12-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Senior Member
 
355F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
X900F has noticable blooming, it's only for people who value size and not picture quality.
So you’re saying the Samsung Q70 is a better choice?

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
355F1 is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 12-01-2019, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Rysa_105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
So you’re saying the Samsung Q70 is a better choice?
I was commenting on above guy who said just bought the X900F, not drawing a comparison. X900F really isn't good with blooming control, unless you watch in quite a bright room. I don't know lot about samsung Q70, but the Q80R would definitely be better choice for contrast and blooming control over X900F, if you're budget allowed.
Rysa_105 is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 12-01-2019, 10:59 PM
Senior Member
 
355F1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
I was commenting on above guy who said just bought the X900F, not drawing a comparison. X900F really isn't good with blooming control, unless you watch in quite a bright room. I don't know lot about samsung Q70, but the Q80R would definitely be better choice for contrast and blooming control over X900F, if you're budget allowed.
I do have a fairly bright room (I think.....house will be done in January), and I am trying to find an 85" tv, which leaves me with the q70 or the x900f, essentially.

😎It's just life, dude. We are all gonna die sometime--Might as well try and have a kickass time while we're still here.😜
355F1 is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 12-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiteshg View Post
Bought the Sony X900F black friday price.

Thank you ryan.carlson82 and others as well!

Great! It's a far... far... far far far better TV than the ones you originally listed. You made the right choice.
TwayneP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off