Sony 940 vs. 900f vs. A8G - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 3 Post By BigCoolJesus
  • 2 Post By Radvlad
  • 3 Post By atabea
  • 1 Post By KSpan
  • 2 Post By BigCoolJesus
  • 1 Post By KGrinols
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony 940 vs. 900f vs. A8G

Hi everyone. I'm debating between the Sony 940e 75" , Sony 900f 65 or 75" and the Sony A8G OLED 65". I watch movies in a batcave. Blackout curtains and never watch movies until it's dark outside anyways. I'm coming from a Sony 60A2000 SXRD Projection TV that is still looking pretty good almost 13 years later. I rarely play video games and when I do it's GTA V for fun or maybe the Uncharted series. I do want the best HDR performance and am concerned whether the A8G would be to dim or would not be a problem since no light in my room. I have no cares about a soundbar as I have a 7.2 Definitive Technology set up already. HDMI 2.1 is not a concern to me so while appreciate any input I am not interested at all in LG products or the C9. I do love inky blacks but do have concern with burn in. I don't watch any static content or tv news, would only be watching movies 5 hrs or so 3-4 times a week.



As far as side viewing angles I have a family member who watches couple times a week with me and they sit on a love seat about 45 degree angle to the left of the set. I watch dead center. They are not that picky about picture quality so doubt they would notice if image is washed out compared to the center viewing. Also I have a stand that can accept up to a 58" wide footprint. I will not wall mount. I should also mention I will not be using the android os at all and 90% of the time be feeding the tv a 4K UHD Disc or Blu-ray Disc



Thank you if you made it to this point and appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Last edited by PJPanda; 11-09-2019 at 08:24 AM.
PJPanda is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 09:18 AM
Member
 
Audioguy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Man, that's a tough choice. As for me, I'm a go big guy, so I'm for the 75's. You can compare the 940 vs 900 on rtings, either way you can't go wrong.

P.S. The 900 does come int 85, just sayin'

Best
Audioguy1 is online now  
post #3 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 09:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Get the sony A9G oled. Forget the 900f, its dark room performance is rather poor. 940E may be okay but oled is better for dark room. You have 65 A8G listed in your options, rather go for the A9G in same size or in 77 if you can afford it, the A9F is worth it over the A8G.
Rysa_105 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I looked at a 85" 900f today #AudioGuy1 but of course they had crappy DirecTV college football feed to it. Still was decent in the Magnolia room. Thank you.



I don't see any advantage in the A9G Rysa_105 past the processor which I don't care since feeding it only physical discs or Netflix 4 through ethernet. Plus will never use the Android OS and the remote while it looks nicer I use it to turn the tv on , that's it. What differences do you feel make the a9G better over the A8G? Thank you.



I could go up to the price of the 85" 900f .

Last edited by PJPanda; 11-09-2019 at 03:24 PM.
PJPanda is online now  
post #5 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Member
 
lucacow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Being a 940 owner, I would go for the 85” 900F. If 75”, go for the 940E. The size difference at 85” is worth going for the 900F. Having said all that, I would not be mad at moving seating closer to the A9


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucacow is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,194
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
I was a previous OLED owner that went with the 940e 18 months ago and to this day, I still haven't found a TV to get me to upgrade yet.

When I watch movies, including UHD/HDR, it is in complete darkness and having come from an OLED I do not "miss" true blacks because the 940e does such a superb job at local dimming.

And the added brightness in HDR of the 940e is worth it over OLED. On my OLED HDR movies were decent but even with true blacks they didn't pop to me. On the 940e it is gorgeous. Highlights pop. And it is very accurate out of the box.

As I said at the beginning, I am constantly looking at new TV's coming out to see when I might replace just to get even brighter HDR highlights but nothing yet has really warranted the hassle.

My 2 cents
Panson, audiofan1 and MCaugusto like this.
BigCoolJesus is online now  
post #7 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 1881
940E 75". Consider bias lighting, as necessary.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPanda View Post
Hi everyone. I'm debating between the Sony 940e 75" , Sony 900f 65 or 75" and the Sony A8G OLED 65". I watch movies in a batcave. Blackout curtains and never watch movies until it's dark outside anyways. I'm coming from a Sony 60A2000 SXRD Projection TV that is still looking pretty good almost 13 years later. I rarely play video games and when I do it's GTA V for fun or maybe the Uncharted series. I do want the best HDR performance and am concerned whether the A8G would be to dim or would not be a problem since no light in my room. I have no cares about a soundbar as I have a 7.2 Definitive Technology set up already. HDMI 2.1 is not a concern to me so while appreciate any input I am not interested at all in LG products or the C9. I do love inky blacks but do have concern with burn in. I don't watch any static content or tv news, would only be watching movies 5 hrs or so 3-4 times a week.



As far as side viewing angles I have a family member who watches couple times a week with me and they sit on a love seat about 45 degree angle to the left of the set. I watch dead center. They are not that picky about picture quality so doubt they would notice if image is washed out compared to the center viewing. Also I have a stand that can accept up to a 58" wide footprint. I will not wall mount. I should also mention I will not be using the android os at all and 90% of the time be feeding the tv a 4K UHD Disc or Blu-ray Disc



Thank you if you made it to this point and appreciate everyone's suggestions.
Get the 75” 940E as it’s the best bang four buck. But, if you want to go 85”, then I would buy theSony 85” x950G.
audiofan1 and MCaugusto like this.

In case you're wondering, my setup: Sony 65x930E, Denon x3200W, 2 Martin Logan 35XT, 1 ML Motion 8 Center Channel, and 1 ML Dynamo 700W Sub.
Radvlad is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
atabea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 666
For the price at which the 940E is available, this is not even a debate. Its performance/price ratio is beyond ANYTHING out there right now.
Panson, audiofan1 and MCaugusto like this.
atabea is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 1881
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
For the price at which the 940E is available, this is not even a debate. Its performance/price ratio is beyond ANYTHING out there right now.
Where?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 07:14 PM
Senior Member
 
tysonmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Where?
Amazon

- Sony XBR-75x940E / XBR-55x950G
- Oppo UDP-203 / Sony UBP-X700 / AppleTV4K
- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3

tysonmax is online now  
post #12 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 1881
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
Amazon
5299.99 w. soundbar?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 11-09-2019, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
tysonmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Nope.

It's there, I verified before posting. Search for Sony x940E not the full name.

- Sony XBR-75x940E / XBR-55x950G
- Oppo UDP-203 / Sony UBP-X700 / AppleTV4K
- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3

tysonmax is online now  
post #14 of 26 Old 11-10-2019, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
5299.99 w. soundbar?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
It's there, I verified before posting. Search for Sony x940E not the full name.
The dimming and brightness are fantastic but I personally couldn't get past the slow pixel response (objectively measured) and perceptible smearing that I saw on the 940E even with some movie and non-game content. Maybe most don't care but I'd have a hard time recommending the 940E to anyone who can't see it perform in person before buying.
Stuntman_Mike likes this.
KSpan is online now  
post #15 of 26 Old 11-10-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BigCoolJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,194
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
The dimming and brightness are fantastic but I personally couldn't get past the slow pixel response (objectively measured) and perceptible smearing that I saw on the 940E even with some movie and non-game content. Maybe most don't care but I'd have a hard time recommending the 940E to anyone who can't see it perform in person before buying.

Odd. Defintiely never experienced this with mine, even with gaming.
audiofan1 and MCaugusto like this.
BigCoolJesus is online now  
post #16 of 26 Old 11-10-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,327
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 1881
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonmax View Post
It's there, I verified before posting. Search for Sony x940E not the full name.
Still a no-go after searching Electronics and All Departments. The only X940E coming up for me is the aforementioned soundbar bundle. Thanks anyway.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo

Last edited by Panson; 11-10-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Panson is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 11-10-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,789
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2354 Post(s)
Liked: 2951
940e
audiofan1 is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 11-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Senior Member
 
tysonmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Still a no-go after searching Electronics and All Departments. The only X940E coming up for me is the aforementioned soundbar bundle. Thanks anyway.
Check your PM.

- Sony XBR-75x940E / XBR-55x950G
- Oppo UDP-203 / Sony UBP-X700 / AppleTV4K
- Swans Diva 6.1 / C3 / 4.2R - Epik Caliber + MFW15
- Marantz SR6010 - Emotiva XPA-3

tysonmax is online now  
post #19 of 26 Old 11-10-2019, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Would anyone have the width footprint measurements of the stand/feet on the 85" version of the 900f if the feet are inverted to save space?
PJPanda is online now  
post #20 of 26 Old 11-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 701
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Odd. Defintiely never experienced this with mine, even with gaming.
It's noted in may places and has been measured with slower pixel response but like many other things different people have different tolerances. I'm not saying that everyone notes it but since it's out of stores just thought it worth mentioning in case someone knows they're sensitive/picky about motion.
KSpan is online now  
post #21 of 26 Old 11-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Still a no-go after searching Electronics and All Departments. The only X940E coming up for me is the aforementioned soundbar bundle. Thanks anyway.
All I searched was Sony 940 and this was the #1 search result. 75" for $1898.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR75X94.../dp/B01N1VMTBE
sk373 likes this.

Sharp LC-70SQ15U + Denon AVR-X4000
Polk CSi A6 Center + Polk RTi A7 Fronts
Polk FXi A4 Sides + Polk FXi A6 Rears
Klipsch Sub-12HG (x2)
KGrinols is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 11-11-2019, 04:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPanda View Post
I looked at a 85" 900f today #AudioGuy1 but of course they had crappy DirecTV college football feed to it. Still was decent in the Magnolia room. Thank you.



I don't see any advantage in the A9G Rysa_105 past the processor which I don't care since feeding it only physical discs or Netflix 4 through ethernet. Plus will never use the Android OS and the remote while it looks nicer I use it to turn the tv on , that's it. What differences do you feel make the a9G better over the A8G? Thank you.



I could go up to the price of the 85" 900f .
A9G OS is faster(more RAM), all full bandwidth hdmi ports, eARC, newer processor, sony's dynamic tone mapping , higher gamut. A9g is a better buy if you can afford.

Last edited by Rysa_105; 11-11-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Rysa_105 is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 11-11-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ES_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 2,292
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPanda View Post
I don't see any advantage in the A9G Rysa_105 past the processor which I don't care since feeding it only physical discs or Netflix 4 through ethernet. Plus will never use the Android OS
What is "Neflix 4"? Or did you mean 4K? And through Ethernet, doesn't that mean you'd be using the Netflix app on the TV? Then of course you'd be using the Android OS. Unless you meant from an external device like a Shield, Fire TV, etc.? But fact remains since nearly everything in the set is run through Android you'd have to use it in one way or another just to use the TV.
ES_Revenge is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 11-14-2019, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
What is "Neflix 4"? Or did you mean 4K? And through Ethernet, doesn't that mean you'd be using the Netflix app on the TV? Then of course you'd be using the Android OS. Unless you meant from an external device like a Shield, Fire TV, etc.? But fact remains since nearly everything in the set is run through Android you'd have to use it in one way or another just to use the TV.
@ ES_ Revenge I meant Netflix 4K. Using Roku or Sony 4K player. I would only be accessing the picture settings on the tv and do not intend to sign up with google or Android at all.


@Rysa_105 the faster processor does not matter as I will not use android. I only use two 4K devices that will be in the full bandwith ports, could care less about eARC. The actual picture quality is nearly identical on A8G and A9G in 95% of content from what I've seen so far. I don't watch sports or use cable at all so no need the for better processing. Thank you though.
PJPanda is online now  
post #25 of 26 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ES_Revenge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 2,292
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPanda View Post
@ ES_ Revenge I meant Netflix 4K. Using Roku or Sony 4K player. I would only be accessing the picture settings on the tv and do not intend to sign up with google or Android at all.
What you [may] be failing to understand is even "accessing the picture settings" is run by Android in these sets. You can't exactly get around that. Also, the faster processor will allow you to access/change those settings more smoothly and with less lag. Not to say the sets on the older processor are overly laggy but they do leave something to be desired in terms of snappiness.



Anyway, from the sounds of it, it seems like your best bet will be to go with whichever is cheaper..
ES_Revenge is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
What you [may] be failing to understand is even "accessing the picture settings" is run by Android in these sets. You can't exactly get around that. Also, the faster processor will allow you to access/change those settings more smoothly and with less lag. Not to say the sets on the older processor are overly laggy but they do leave something to be desired in terms of snappiness.



Anyway, from the sounds of it, it seems like your best bet will be to go with whichever is cheaper..
I helped my friend set up their 49" 900f last year and skipped all the google sign in
prompts and was able to access the picture setting for them. Still not connected to internet and no issues.
PJPanda is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off