Samsung Q70R vs Older Samsung - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By elliot.borst

post #1 of 15 Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Samsung Q70R vs Older Samsung

Hey everyone, I’m after some advice.

I’ve just purchased a brand new Samsung Q70R, I thought it looked pretty good. But in the last 2 days have put it side by side an older 1080p Samsung LCD, to play Halo MCC co op

I’m disgusted at how much better the older TV looks, even at 1080p, blacks are way better some how, and details in faces and skin in one cut scene was embarrassing.

The full setups are

Samsung Q70R 4K HDR 60
Xbox One X 4K HDR 60

Samsung 1080p 60
Xbox One (original 2013 console) SDR

Setup 1 should look a million times better. But it just doesn’t.

I’ve been tweaking settings constantly, but side by side, it’s hard not to feel a disappointed.

It’s like there is a permanent haze overlayed on the Q70, making things less detailed. Less colourful

Colours, blacks and details are just way better on this older TV, and it’s like, 5+ years old.

I also played Assassins Creed Odyssey on the Q70 and felt the same thing, a white haze added to the game.

Any advice?

I’ll try to get the model number of the older TV. And take some still shots as examples.

I’m wondering if the game mode does it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-09-2019, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Update, older TV is A UA55F9000
post #3 of 15 Old 11-09-2019, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

First picture is the Xbox One X, second picture is the Xbox One
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0336EC77-CD31-4055-A6E6-4F6E6BEDF24C_1573358663086.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	2638824   Click image for larger version

Name:	5205DBD4-7EE1-4A6B-AA2A-97E897111367_1573358774815.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	2638826  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-10-2019, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hmm, I love these kinds of threads haha.

Well, the black detail looks better on the Q70 at least, have you got the screen calibrated? If not, have you adjusted the settings at all on the Q70 or did you just go straight out of the box?

Game mode has a whole different set of settings, so even if you did fine tune you're movie mode, you'll have to adjust it for gaming too. Do you have the local dimming set to high? do you have contrast enhancer on or off? The gamma may be pumped up. There are all kinds of variables that may need adjusted with newer sets, where as the older Samsung is more straight forward. It looks like the sharpness may be bumped up a bit on the older Samsung or the contrast enhancer activated on that one...

I'm not super familiar with older Samsung LCD's, but that model number seems to be a top of the line model from years ago. Though I've been in this position before, coming from a 720p Plasma to a modern Samsung, and wowzers was I disappointed. It took several days/weeks to fine tune every little tiny thing to my exact liking (and I do have fun doing that) before I realized the benefits of the newer set compared to the Plasma.

Last edited by TwayneP; 11-10-2019 at 03:37 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-10-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

The older Samsung I reset the video settings to default, it’s stock standard.

The Q70, I’ve tried Turing everyone on and off, high to low.

I’m convinced it’s game mode now.

I noticed when booting Halo MCC. When game mode turns on after a few seconds, the picture changes and that haze appears. manually turning it off looks way better. Blacks are back and looks good.

I took some photos and a video of the switch, it’s pretty damming, I’ve also read that a lot of people turn game mode off. As it’s mostly for the response time boost that people use it.

But I’d rather a beautiful picture.

I’ll attach some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
Hmm, I love these kinds of threads haha.

Well, the black detail looks better on the Q70 at least, have you got the screen calibrated? If not, have you adjusted the settings at all on the Q70 or did you just go straight out of the box?

I’ve been playing with the Q70 settings constantly, it’s not professionally calibrated.

Game mode has a whole different set of settings, so even if you did fine tune you're movie mode, you'll have to adjust it for gaming too. Do you have the local dimming set to high? do you have contrast enhancer on or off? The gamma may be pumped up. There are all kinds of variables that may need adjusted with newer sets, where as the older Samsung is more straight forward. It looks like the sharpness may be bumped up a bit on the older Samsung or the contrast enhancer activated on that one...

I'm not super familiar with older Samsung LCD's, but that model number seems to be a top of the line model from years ago. Though I've been in this position before, coming from a 720p Plasma to a modern Samsung, and wowzers was I disappointed. It took several days/weeks to fine tune every little tiny thing to my exact liking (and I do have fun doing that) before I realized the benefits of the newer set compared to the Plasma.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-10-2019, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Game mode Off - Darker blue, looks normal
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	61DF7847-8B2E-4500-BA81-C9063EC4222F_1573427851397.png
Views:	43
Size:	8.27 MB
ID:	2639304  
post #7 of 15 Old 11-10-2019, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Game mode on - bright haze across the entire screen
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FBB5A34A-1A7A-425F-9C55-53D5E0863F97_1573427914585.png
Views:	34
Size:	7.67 MB
ID:	2639306  
post #8 of 15 Old 11-11-2019, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

After doing some playing around today, and following other people’s advice On settings. I’ve come to the conclusion that game mode isn’t for me. I’m happy with how it looks now with it turned off
ray0414 likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-12-2019, 04:49 AM

So you really tried everything? I'm looking into getting this set soon, so I can help you more at the end of the month then. but I've never heard anything negative about the game mode on the Q70.

There are a few extra adjustments you can fiddle with IN the game mode menu. Like black detail (maybe try ticking that down?) and "game enhancer" and all that ****. I feel like you're missing something here, or there's a glitch somewhere. Maybe bump down the brightness a tick. Game mode needs it's own separate settings to be applied, you can't just use the default or whatever you normally have set for movie mode, etc.

There's a "game mode HDR" that also needs separate settings too.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-12-2019, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, no I wouldn’t say I’ve tried everything, I would consider myself an absolute noob at TVs.

I have played around with settings but I think I need guidance.

There are less settings when game mode is enabled, but from what I saw. I couldn’t get it to look good enough.

I’ve seen that settings are saved between sources, game mode keeps settings vs non game mode etc

I feel like I am missing something, like a simple option is turned on that needs to be switched off, it’s really like there’s a gross haze applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwayneP View Post
So you really tried everything? I'm looking into getting this set soon, so I can help you more at the end of the month then. but I've never heard anything negative about the game mode on the Q70.

There are a few extra adjustments you can fiddle with IN the game mode menu. Like black detail (maybe try ticking that down?) and "game enhancer" and all that ****. I feel like you're missing something here, or there's a glitch somewhere. Maybe bump down the brightness a tick. Game mode needs it's own separate settings to be applied, you can't just use the default or whatever you normally have set for movie mode, etc.

There's a "game mode HDR" that also needs separate settings too.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-12-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot.borst View Post
Hey, no I wouldn’t say I’ve tried everything, I would consider myself an absolute noob at TVs.

There are less settings when game mode is enabled, but from what I saw. I couldn’t get it to look good enough.

I’ve seen that settings are saved between sources, game mode keeps settings vs non game mode etc

I feel like I am missing something, like a simple option is turned on that needs to be switched off, it’s really like there’s a gross haze applied.

Okay, have you gone into the actual Game Mode menu, under General >External device manager >Game Mode Settings? There you should have an array of settings including the ones mentioned about black detail. Make sure you turn off all the general ambient and power saving ECO settings too.

The settings that are disabled when game mode is activated don't really matter, those are mostly post processing stuff that you don't need anyway. The contrast enhancer still should be enabled to mess around with while in game mode, and Samsung's Contrast enhancer can help with games so you can try enabling that to see if it's any better/deeper, and ticking up the contrast all the way to 50, and brightness down to -1. See if you can get the blacks a little deeper that way and match your older set. I don't know if Masterchief collection is HDR enabled, but for HDR content your backlight should be maxed out. If it's NOT HDR then your backlight should be around 20-25 (at least it can help with light blooming)

The local dimming should be on high too, in both regards, as it's a full array TV, and it should really help with contrast.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know, but, yeah this is puzzling to me haha. Game Mode should look just as good, if not better than normal modes(for games). There's always a way to compensate for it though. It will just take a bit of time and fine tuning.

But play your way, if the input lag outside of game mode doesn't bother, then hey, that works too. I agree, I would prefer a better, deeper picture over input performance too!
post #12 of 15 Old 11-12-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot.borst View Post

You could try and use the settings from www.rtings.com for your Q70R.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-12-2019, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Game Mode sucks. The local dimming is worse in that mode and won't deliver blacks as deep as having game mode off. Play a letterbox movie with Game Mode on and you'll see dark gray letterbox bars. The input lag outside of Game Mode has felt perfectly fine for me. Most games I play are 60fps so those games feel and look smooth. With 30fps games I mess with motion plus settings to get the game to not judder too bad when camera panning and trying to keep artifacts at a minimum.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-12-2019, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

@TwayneP
I have seen the game mode settings and played with them, I’ll have a look at what you suggest again.
@Purenv
I did apply setting as per rtings, tried a picture reset and reapply as well to be sure I didn’t stuff another setting up first. I think most of their settings are useful, it would b good. If they or someone did a side by side comparison of game mode vs non game mode on a Samsung QLED, I dont think I’ve seen that kind of comparison yet.
@Spewdom
I agree, it’s disappointing, perhaps if and when HGIG is applied to Samsung and Xbox One, that might make a difference?
post #15 of 15 Old 11-13-2019, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page