Playing a 12" Laserdisc on a 4k TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Playing a 12" Laserdisc on a 4k TV

Playing a 12" Laserdisc on a 4k TV -

Looking for TV Make/Model for direct playback of Laserdiscs (& some DVDā€™s) on the now 1080p and 4k TVā€™s in say the 40ā€ to 55ā€ TV size. (leaning towards 49ā€ myself, viewing distance 70ā€-80ā€)

Many of my Laser Discs (several are Voyager, Criterion, Box Sets or Special Editions) are rare and hard to find.
I would like to play them directly to a TV and ā€˜not copyā€™ them onto a different media format.

Is the 2018 Samsung UA43N5500 or 2019 Samsung QA49Q60R or Other the best type of TV to buy that will better handle overall picture quality, with issues of upscaling, artefacts and other considerations?

Any thoughts on this is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 930
It's not 4K, but many years ago, we ran 480i sources into a Holo3Dgraph card in a hptc, and scaled to 1080P on a 9" crt pj, on a 8' wide screen, with very nice results.

My question would what outputs does the laserdisc offer? The H3D card gave us one s-video input, one composite or one SDI input, and one component.

240i composite was far better then I would have imagined, considering the 96" wide screen. Most people would be thrilled with 480i component and 480i via SDI, was stunning.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
It's not 4K, but many years ago, we ran 480i sources into a Holo3Dgraph card in a hptc, and scaled to 1080P on a 9" crt pj, on a 8' wide screen, with very nice results.

My question would what outputs does the laserdisc offer? The H3D card gave us one s-video input, one composite or one SDI input, and one component.

240i composite was far better then I would have imagined, considering the 96" wide screen. Most people would be thrilled with 480i component and 480i via SDI, was stunning.
Hi Tedd,
Thank you for taking the time to comment.
The current LD player I am using is a Pioneer CDL-D925 which has AC-3 RF Output, S-Video Output and a Video Output with RCA patch cord audio out as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-12-2019, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For what it is worth, the S-video input on a 2008 Sony HX-715 DVD recorder upscales nicely over onboard HDMI. That is how I watch my music concert Laserdiscs nowdays. I listen via TosLink optical digital. I am not aware of any current UHD 4k sets with S-video input. The Sony HX-715 is noticeably cleaner than the converters listed on Amazon.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Maybe you should consider a S-Video to HDMI converter(?) This will allow you to use your current LD player with any modern TV/display/receiver/pre-pro you choose.

So much media, so little time...
My Media Room...
post #6 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wouldn't that mean two scaling steps, for a 4K hdtv? I suspect that box will scale to 1080P, and then the hdtv scales to 4K.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-14-2019, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wouldn't that mean two scaling steps, for a 4K hdtv? I suspect that box will scale to 1080P, and then the hdtv scales to 4K.
Good thoughts, but was hoping to keep it simple with a TV that could look at 480 & 576 and then deal with it in the one process to give a reasonable image that is watchable. Was thinking some TV's might do this better than others and was weighing up if I need to stay in the dark(er) ages with a 1080p TV or adventure forward and hope there is a great new AI Processor in a 4K TV that could give an equally good (if not better) result with the overall viewing experience.
Maybe I have to wait until the 48"/49"/50" 2020 TV releases come out or maybe I am hoping for too much in AI Magic and this may all be a long way off or a pipe dream.
It seems a bit of a challenge maintaining a collection of LD's with technology marching forward. Might need a handful of fairy dust to sprinkle over the manufacturers to encourage them to help us protect our media investments.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-15-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt hdtv manufacturers are concerned about scaling s-video content anymore.

Most people don't sit close enough to a 4K hdtv, to resolve the extra resolution, so I kind of look at 1080P as maybe being a pretty impressive budget option, when one could simply
purchase a used scaler.

The other thought is, is it possible to rip a laser disk collection, and host it on a computer?

Then again, how big is your laser disk collection? How much would that content actually cost to replace, as most of it is older titles and they tend to sell pretty cheap, and even used content
is out there.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-16-2019, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I doubt hdtv manufacturers are concerned about scaling s-video content anymore.

Most people don't sit close enough to a 4K hdtv, to resolve the extra resolution, so I kind of look at 1080P as maybe being a pretty impressive budget option, when one could simply
purchase a used scaler.

The other thought is, is it possible to rip a laser disk collection, and host it on a computer?

Then again, how big is your laser disk collection? How much would that content actually cost to replace, as most of it is older titles and they tend to sell pretty cheap, and even used content
is out there.
About 1,650 LD titles consisting of likely over 3,000 LD's and another 1,100+ DVD titles. So ripping them would be too big an ask. Heck, watching them all might be too big an ask.. hehe
Yes, the scaler and 1080p Tv might end up being the option, but guess I was hoping to have the cake and eat it too. Maybe that new LG 48" that might come out in 2020 would be worth waiting for if the AI on it might help.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-16-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

An older PIII-600+ or P4 pc plus a Holo3Dgrapgh card would be an answer, for a 1080P display.

PC power is pretty cheap these days and my solution was to build a dedicated ripping pc, mostly from used parts.

I also look at something like Best Buy's Black Friday 12 TB $180 hard drive and think why not a 4 core pc and simply take one core and virtualize the ripping?
Rip two disks while watching a disk. A six core pc could be far more substantial, with a core for UnRaid if so desired. But even a single or pair of 12TB hard
drives could host a large collection, and you could delete some titles if you ever got close to filling up the drives.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-16-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
An older PIII-600+ or P4 pc plus a Holo3Dgrapgh card would be an answer, for a 1080P display.

PC power is pretty cheap these days and my solution was to build a dedicated ripping pc, mostly from used parts.

I also look at something like Best Buy's Black Friday 12 TB $180 hard drive and think why not a 4 core pc and simply take one core and virtualize the ripping?
Rip two disks while watching a disk. A six core pc could be far more substantial, with a core for UnRaid if so desired. But even a single or pair of 12TB hard
drives could host a large collection, and you could delete some titles if you ever got close to filling up the drives.
Good thought, though I do not want to spend years ripping LD's. However, I might settle for the Samsung 43" 1080P TV for the time being while I wait a year or more to see what magical AI comes out on the 4K TV's. In the meantime (being the New Year) maybe rip a few dozen of the rare content LD's to a hard drive. So interesting thoughts on that.. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page