TCL 8 Series Roku TV (2019 Model - 65" & 75") *Owner's Thread*(No Price Talk) - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 167Likes

post #361 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post
I noticed some of the clouding you saw, not nearly as bad, but it was there. I only noticed it when I dropped the local dimming to medium or lower, freaked me out. I put it back in high and it completely disappeared. You don't really notice it in regular content, but I was watching a star field and noticed some black crush so I played with the dimming. The crush was gone on medium but then it got the cloudy in the corner.

I'm still having issues with the ARC hdmi 4 port not picking up the X1 cable box after sitting all night but I don't want to trade it out for another one when I got a nice screen on my 65.
I can change the port mode and it resyncs and works till it is off overnight again.
How do you have it connected? Please tell us every connection.
Thanks

"Feels great, baby." SF 49ers QB Jimmy G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The box runs into a Vizio 5.1 sound bar then out to the TV with MonoPrice 4k hdr certified cables. One port on the Vizio izio says hdmi in, other hdmi out (ARC).

The other ports have my Shield on 1, Sony 4k 800m2 on 2, hdmi switch on 3 running a bunch of various things, X1 cable box non 4k on 4.
I'm beginning to think that the box and TV just don't want to play nicely together but I might be missing something considering how picky hdmi can be.
Occasionally it will come on fine in the morning but most times not.

Tempted to try and get a new 4k non dvr box to replace it anyway but would be nice to figure it out. The sound bar has optical and coaxial digital inputs as well.
post #363 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I picked up the 6 series for the bedroom awhile back and calibrated it with the app and my Iphone 11 Pro max and for the price, I am frankly amazed at the picture quality. So much so I ordered the 75" 8 series a few minutes ago from BB as they had another quick sale on them...if the 8 series is better than the 6 series, and it can calibrate as well as my 6 series via my iphone , it seems like this TV is going to be very hard to beat for the price paid...will see soon as it is being delivered in about a week I think...
I missed out on the original BB flash sale on May 8th and was pleasantly surprised when I saw the flash sale price back today - so I bit. I certainly wasn't impressed with the original price. Now I see Rtings actually gives the Vizio P-Series Quantum X 75 a higher score than the TCL Series 8. I would be interested to know everyone's opinion on that. I've never owned a Vizio but the new Series 8 panel will be replacing a 65' Series 6 which I have been quite happy with, as I favor the Roku platform over others. With today's BB sale price that puts the Series 8 almost Even Steven in price with the Vizio. Perhaps that's another indicator the Series 8 panels were over priced from the start.

gtsum likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The box runs into a Vizio 5.1 sound bar then out to the TV with MonoPrice 4k hdr certified cables. One port on the Vizio izio says hdmi in, other hdmi out (ARC).

The other ports have my Shield on 1, Sony 4k 800m2 on 2, hdmi switch on 3 running a bunch of various things, X1 cable box non 4k on 4.
I'm beginning to think that the box and TV just don't want to play nicely together but I might be missing something considering how picky hdmi can be.
Occasionally it will come on fine in the morning but most times not.

Tempted to try and get a new 4k non dvr box to replace it anyway but would be nice to figure it out. The sound bar has optical and coaxial digital inputs as well.
Try soundbar ARC HDMI out to TCL HDMI4 IN. I have never had any issues as long as I connect AVR ARC out to TCL ARC HDMI4.
Good luck

post #365 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
I missed out on the original BB flash sale on May 8th and was pleasantly surprised when I saw the flash sale price back today - so I bit. I certainly wasn't impressed with the original price. Now I see Rtings actually gives the Vizio P-Series Quantum X 75 a higher score than the TCL Series 8. I would be interested to know everyone's opinion on that. I've never owned a Vizio but the new Series 8 panel will be replacing a 65' Series 6 which I have been quite happy with, as I favor the Roku platform over others. With today's BB sale price that puts the Series 8 almost Even Steven in price with the Vizio. Perhaps that's another indicator the Series 8 panels were over priced from the start.
When I was shopping for a new TV within my budget the first set I looked at was a 65 Vizio Quantem X at Costco. It looked really good on the demo loop, really bright, great color, sharp. Then I went to Best Buy and looked at the 65 825 they had on their low to mid priced wall. It just completely stood out from all the other sets on the display. It was brighter, the gray scale seemed better, and color balance and flesh tones were really nice, plus the black levels were very inky. I had read many reviews on the Vizio and it was mostly very positive but some buyers just had them die from power supply issues very quickly. I thought the TCL looked slightly better overall and like the mini led tech so decided to spend some extra and take a chance because it was on sale and they gave me a extra 100 off.

If they hadn't given me a better deal I would have bought the Vizio and probably been just as happy as long as it held up ok. I agree the TCL isn't worth 2k but 1500 or less it's a great set. If they are selling the 75 for 1500 now I'd grab it.

Last edited by Dartman; 05-22-2020 at 11:07 PM.
post #366 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
Try soundbar ARC HDMI out to TCL HDMI4 IN. I have never had any issues as long as I connect AVR ARC out to TCL ARC HDMI4.
Good luck
I'm pretty sure that's how it is hooked up now. Cable box goes to hdmi in 5 on the soundbar, then hdmi 6 out (ARC) goes out the TV.
post #367 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's how it is hooked up now. Cable box goes to hdmi in 5 on the soundbar, then hdmi 6 out (ARC) goes out the TV.

Try going cable box to the TV, and then the TVs ARC to the soundbar's ARC.
post #368 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, seems weird but I tried it and it works but running it that way takes up two ports to do what I was doing with one. Am I missing something about how ARC works or is this just another way to do something because I have the box on TV port 3 and the soundbar is getting sound from the 4 (ARC) port from the TV.
post #369 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
OK, seems weird but I tried it and it works but running it that way takes up two ports to do what I was doing with one. Am I missing something about how ARC works or is this just another way to do something because I have the box on TV port 3 and the soundbar is getting sound from the 4 (ARC) port from the TV.

That's pretty much how ARC works. As a bonus you'll get to use the soundbar with your built in TV apps. I use my AVR to do all my switching, but I can understand how losing a free HDMI port on the TV hurts.
post #370 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
That's pretty much how ARC works. As a bonus you'll get to use the soundbar with your built in TV apps. I use my AVR to do all my switching, but I can understand how losing a free HDMI port on the TV hurts.
Well I do have my switch that is supposed to support 4khdr. Unfortunately for now my AVR is a older Onkyo 898 from when they had full power amps for all 7 channels but doesn't support hdmi. I'm hoping to get a Denon 3801 that does support hdmi soon cheap if it works out but we'll see.
Maybe I'll play with the digital inputs and see if everything is happy later as long as I can get basic stereo or 5.1 that's all I need for watching regular TV. If I'm watching a movie I fire up the Onkyo but that Vizio actually sounds really good so most of the time I use it.
post #371 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, got my extra port back as when I switched to hdmi 4, then switched my soundbar to hdmi 5 it sees my 5 port switch just fine so I can still access my Roku4 ultra and my security cam DVR so happy so far
Sound switches on any time I fire up port 3 and I can go to 4 and still see and hear the devices plugged into the extra port on the sound bar and sound works with the Roku when it's selected. Never knew it worked that way but that's awesome feature and I learned something new 👍
Well now let's hope it doesn't forget the cable box but I bet it's happy now. If it forgets the extra switch now it's not as big a deal as I don't use it every day like the cable box.
Thanks for the heads up on a different way to do this I never would have thought of
JTH182 likes this.
post #372 of 391 Old 05-22-2020, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
When I was shopping for a new TV within my budget the first set I looked at was a 65 Vizio Quantem X at Costco. It looked really good on the demo loop, really bright, great color, sharp. Then I went to Best Buy and looked at the 65 825 they had on their low to mid priced wall. It just completely stood out from all the other sets on the display. It was brighter, the gray scale seemed better, and color balance and flesh tones were really nice, plus the black levels were very inky. I had read many reviews on the Vizio and it was mostly very positive but some buyers just had them die from power supply issues very quickly. I thought the TCL looked slightly better overall and like the mini led tech so decided to spend some extra and take a chance because it was on sale and they gave me a extra 100 off.

If they hadn't given me a better deal I would have bought the Vizio and probably been just as happy as long as it held up ok. I agree the TCL isn't work 2k but 1500 or less it's a great set. If they are selling the 75 for 1500 now I'd grab it.
I got a decent sale price on the 75” Series 8 so good there. The regular price on the TCL is a good 40% higher than the Vizio so it definitely took the sale price to make it happen. Why the regular price on the Series 8 is so much higher than the Vizio is anybody’s guess? Perhaps it’s the new mini LED tech?

I’m glad your happy with your Series 8 and stay safe - enjoy your weekend!
Dartman likes this.
post #373 of 391 Old 05-25-2020, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad to join this forum! Have been reading it for the past couple of days and educating myself on the new TCL 75Q825 we just purchased as an upgrade to an 11 year old LG LCD TV.
Really looking forward to finally seeing what this 4K HDR hoopla is all about. We will mostly rely on streaming services for now as out 4K content as I am awaiting for new generation gaming consoles to arrive at the end of the year to add 4K gaming and 4K Blu-Ray to the mix.
We signed up fir BB Total Tech Support as it’s cheaper then just to purchase BB premium installation and professional calibration is essentially free with Total Tech.
Question though is whether I need to upgrade our 10 years old Yamaha receiver with new receiver capable of 4K and Atmos if we don’t own yet any other 4K devices? Does Atmos in streaming apps really that much better then DD5.1? And does TCL pass Atmos signal via ARC HDMI? We do have a center sound bar, four ceiling surround speakers and dedicated corner sub.
post #374 of 391 Old 05-25-2020, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked: 3153
Quote:
Originally Posted by netscorer View Post
Glad to join this forum! Have been reading it for the past couple of days and educating myself on the new TCL 75Q825 we just purchased as an upgrade to an 11 year old LG LCD TV.
Really looking forward to finally seeing what this 4K HDR hoopla is all about. We will mostly rely on streaming services for now as out 4K content as I am awaiting for new generation gaming consoles to arrive at the end of the year to add 4K gaming and 4K Blu-Ray to the mix.
We signed up fir BB Total Tech Support as it’s cheaper then just to purchase BB premium installation and professional calibration is essentially free with Total Tech.
Question though is whether I need to upgrade our 10 years old Yamaha receiver with new receiver capable of 4K and Atmos if we don’t own yet any other 4K devices? Does Atmos in streaming apps really that much better then DD5.1? And does TCL pass Atmos signal via ARC HDMI? We do have a center sound bar, four ceiling surround speakers and dedicated corner sub.
Are your current soundbar/ceiling speakers powered by your AVR? Or are they powered by the soundbar?
post #375 of 391 Old 05-25-2020, 10:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Are your current soundbar/ceiling speakers powered by your AVR? Or are they powered by the soundbar?
Everything currently is powered by the receiver. Soundbar that we have is L-C-R speaker array that requires receiver to send powered signal via speaker wires.
post #376 of 391 Old 05-25-2020, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked: 3153
Quote:
Originally Posted by netscorer View Post
Everything currently is powered by the receiver. Soundbar that we have is L-C-R speaker array that requires receiver to send powered signal via speaker wires.
You won't need an AVR unless you get 4K HDR devices. Or if you want a conventional ATMOS setup. Currently it sounds like you have a 3.1.4 speaker setup but your AVR being 10 years old is unlikely to be able to pass a correct ATMOS signal.
post #377 of 391 Old 05-25-2020, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi

I just got this TV set up (65"). Couldn't pass up on the price point. Can someone share their settings or is everyone using the CNET or RTINGS settings.

Also, in the Ruku app, I am trying to use the expert picture settings. However, when I try to change a value in the 11pt WB, it want let me. When I press in the square nothing happens. I can't change the number from the default of 0.
post #378 of 391 Old 05-25-2020, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

I just bought the TCL 8 Series 65 inch and after cleaning the screen I noticed a small black dot near the top of the screen in the center of the TV. It's only visible right in front of the TV. It's definitely inside the screen. Should I exchange/return it?

I have attached a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	2732482  
post #379 of 391 Old 05-26-2020, 07:01 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post
I just bought the TCL 8 Series 65 inch and after cleaning the screen I noticed a small black dot near the top of the screen in the center of the TV. It's only visible right in front of the TV. It's definitely inside the screen. Should I exchange/return it?

I order this TV during the sale last week as well to replace a 65R617, should be delivered on Thursday. If I end up having a flaw like that, I'd have to exchange it. Once I've seen something like that, I wouldn't be able to help but always look at that, no matter what happens. If you do go through an exchange, definitely update on how it goes, I'll be curious to hear how they handle it.

Outside of that flaw, how do you like the set? At MSRP, I don't think I'd have pulled the trigger but at the sale price, it looked like it might be a steal.
post #380 of 391 Old 05-26-2020, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTchRR View Post
I order this TV during the sale last week as well to replace a 65R617, should be delivered on Thursday. If I end up having a flaw like that, I'd have to exchange it. Once I've seen something like that, I wouldn't be able to help but always look at that, no matter what happens. If you do go through an exchange, definitely update on how it goes, I'll be curious to hear how they handle it.

Outside of that flaw, how do you like the set? At MSRP, I don't think I'd have pulled the trigger but at the sale price, it looked like it might be a steal.

Still tweaking the pic settings, but, other than the dot, I am enjoying the set.
I am going to request an exchange, I am still within the return window from BB.
TxTchRR likes this.
post #381 of 391 Old 05-26-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Still tweaking the pic settings, but, other than the dot, I am enjoying the set.
I am going to request an exchange, I am still within the return window from BB.
Hopefully the next one is flawless, I'm sure BB will be pretty easy to work with. How is the black level performance? Was on the one nit I could pick with the R617, it would get so bright that the letterboxes had no chance at staying black.
post #382 of 391 Old 05-26-2020, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Can someone confirm their firmware version for me? I’m currently on 9.2.2 build 6116-88. Just making sure it’s the most current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #383 of 391 Old 05-26-2020, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTchRR View Post
Hopefully the next one is flawless, I'm sure BB will be pretty easy to work with. How is the black level performance? Was on the one nit I could pick with the R617, it would get so bright that the letterboxes had no chance at staying black.

Yeah, I don't want to go from bad to worse .

The black levels look OK to me; but, than again, I am not an expert in such matters. I don't have any testing equipment. Just eyeballing it.
TxTchRR likes this.
post #384 of 391 Old 05-26-2020, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcholthaus View Post
Can someone confirm their firmware version for me? I’m currently on 9.2.2 build 6116-88. Just making sure it’s the most current.

That's what I am showing!
mcholthaus likes this.
post #385 of 391 Old 05-26-2020, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Well that sucks for sure. No way I could keep that as I would always be looking for it I am expecting my 75" from best buy this week and hopefully I get a good one. I have always heard BB is pretty good to work with on returns (I have no experience though). Let us know how it goes if you send it back to them
post #386 of 391 Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I have a new set coming on June 1st.
gtsum likes this.
post #387 of 391 Old 05-26-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcholthaus View Post

It's up to 9.3 now, but not everyone is getting it automatically. You can force it manually though by starting to pair a Roku speaker in the settings menu (you don't have to actually pair a speaker, but it will force a download of the firmware update first).

---

Does anyone notice a change in colors after the update? After months of being happy with my TV on the WARM setting and not touching a thing, I felt like it suddenly looked too red, and now I changed to NORMAL.
mcholthaus likes this.

Last edited by JTH182; 05-26-2020 at 09:25 PM.
post #388 of 391 Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
The Roku app has an option to change gamma.
Where in the app did you find this? I tried main menu > settings > tv picture settings and tried the advanced picture settings by pressing options while in an app. Or is this something thats only available while using external devices?
post #389 of 391 Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Quinn View Post
Where in the app did you find this? I tried main menu > settings > tv picture settings and tried the advanced picture settings by pressing options while in an app. Or is this something thats only available while using external devices?
First, do you have the Roku remote app? If not check:
https://roku.en.softonic.com

Look-up App specs in the middle of the page, then below Windows 10, select Android or iPhone. Pair the app to your TV. Then you will see the main Roku menu with a bunch of adds. On the lower right hand corner tap "More." You should see: "Expert Picture Settings." Tap on it and you will see Gamma.
Good luck

post #390 of 391 Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I thought the iPQ app did well on my 6 series..anyone using that on the 8 series? Mine gets here Sunday I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page